ADVERTISEMENT

O’Keefe stepping down as Iowa Quarterbacks Coach

In the world of NIL do the whiners take action? No they still whine about recruiting and coaching. Cmon boys raise those funds. Get them cruits to come to eyeowa.

Ohio State QB completion % under pressure was like 53%. Do you suppose our QB was under pressure a lot more than theirs was? And I present evidence as the running game which sucked. Our blocking was below average. And it was visually evident too.
Peaches feels under pressure when a opposing player simply enters the stadium and his charlatan “guru” making things as complicated as possible makes it even worse.

Double whammy, he could help BF.

Longtime college head coach, North Dakota native and former NFL quarterback Randy Hedberg has been North Dakota State University’s quarterbacks coach since 2014. Elevated to associate head coach and passing game coordinator in 2019, he has been part of seven Missouri Valley Football Conference championships and six NCAA Division I FCS national championships at NDSU.

Hedberg, who was named the 2020-21 FCS Assistant Coach of the Year by the American Football Coaches Association, has mentored three NFL draft picks in eight seasons at North Dakota State, including two quarterbacks selected in the top three overall at the NFL Draft. He has been part of Bison teams that have produced seven of the top eight seasons of total offense in NDSU history including a school-record 7,076 yards in 2018 and 7,512 yards in 2019.

Redshirt freshman Trey Lance in 2019 won the Stats Perform Walter Payton Award and Jerry Rice Award as the top offensive player and top freshman player in the Football Championship Subdivision. Lance accounted for 42 total touchdowns, led the nation in passing efficiency (180.6), and set an NCAA all-divisions record for most passing attempts in a season without an interception (287) before being selected No. 3 overall by the San Francisco 49ers in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Hedberg previously groomed FCS all-time winningest quarterback Easton Stick, who led the Bison to the national championship game with eight wins as a freshman in 2015 and finished 49-3 in his career with two national title victories as the starter. Stick set NDSU career records for passing yards (8,693), passing touchdowns (88), total offense (11,216) and total touchdowns (129) before being selected in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft by the Los Angeles Chargers.

Hedberg tutored eventual No. 2 overall pick Carson Wentz to a record-setting season as a first-year starter in 2014. The Bison junior passed for a school-record 3,111 yards while also setting school marks for passing attempts and completions. Wentz was 20-3 as the Bison starter and led NDSU to victories in the 2014 and 2015 national championship games before starting as a rookie in 2016 with the Philadelphia Eagles
Interesting suggestion ... the only problem is whether he'd bother to interview at Iowa? Given the stage where he's at in his career ... would he bother?

Petras has good mechanics. We know that. His issue is he freaks out when he can’t throw the ball in 3 seconds.
He's also inaccurate, absolutely nailed to the ground, which hinders his ability to buy time or even step up in the pocket like even a high school qb can do, and if his first read isn't there forget about it, as he takes the sack or throws it away.

Hmmmm. Stats show those with higher stars are in the playoffs much more frequently.
I'll say it again, if our offense (123rd) matched our defense (16th) we would have a much better CHANCE at a CFP slot. Hell Maryland, Nebby, and others out "star" recruit Iowa every year, yet suck.

I'll say it again, if our offense (123rd) matched our defense (16th) we would have a much better CHANCE at a CFP slot. Hell Maryland, Nebby, and others out "star" recruit Iowa every year, yet suck.
No one expects Iowa's offense to match their defense. I think it is reasonable, however, to expect at least close to an average FBS offense. Just that, to go along with Iowa's typical defense and special teams, would make Iowa regular B1G West contenders and give them a reasonable shot at the B1G Championship, which would at least make the CFP a possibility.

I think reality now is he won't be the HC. I wouldn't have said that before the summer of 2020. BF is now too much of a lightning rod.

Of course his Dad wants him to take over for him eventually. But BF would raise far too many concerns/questions if put in the HC role after the accusations made towards him by former players. Racial issues are ones you want your name clear of. And remember, there are depositions then the actual trial taking pace in 2023 so there could be more to come.

So you don't think KF will effectively name his successor? He is the most powerful person in any capacity at the U of I.

Reactions: BBHawk
So you don't think KF will effectively name his successor? He is the most powerful person in any capacity at the U of I.
Will he have a say? I'm thinking so, but he name the guy? Hell no. Hayden didn't even get that right-- why you think KF would?

Name the last HC anywhere who got to name his successor?

Reactions: grhawk and IAHUNTER
Once again, multiple from 2020. That was before Raccioppi started coach him. And all those occur because Petras isn’t mentally strong enough to be a good QB. Mechanically, he can be. But that doesn’t matter when you freak out after 2 seconds in the pocket.

Throwing the ball five yatds oob on 4th down at Wiscy was a 2021 thing.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Will he have a say? I'm thinking so, but he name the guy? Hell no. Hayden didn't even get that right-- why you think KF would?

Hayden had a hostile administration that wanted him out and he had obviously lost control of the program. KF has an AD that just gave him a 75% raise for no good reason.

For me the question is why the hell are we keeping KOK on staff? He is now here for off the field stuff but has had a limited role in recruiting for years. What does he do to earn a paycheck and how much more could we be getting for those dollars?

Same reason we just gave a HC that wasn't going anywhere a 75% raise.

• Haha
Reactions: PIEPI

Last head coach naming a successor, there have been many... Bobby Bowden named Jimbo Fisher and he was known as the " head coach in waiting." There have been more than a few.

Yep, Kirk showing the respect for the years Ken has served with him over the long tenure.

I believe KOK is a good guy and he was the best OC under KF although that isn't saying much. The issue is if you aren't doing the job you are paid for, you shouldn't get paid for that job. A plant manager shouldn't get paid his old salary to be a janitor.

I believe the article said they were paying him as an off field/advisory type of position. He is stepping down because he was not getting the job done as an QB coach and moving to a different position on the staff.

Much better chance??? We would be a national contender. Moving our inept offense up 107 places would do more than give us a better chance at the CFP. Hell, if we could finish in the top 50, it would do wonders.

Reactions: obfuscating
I believe the article said they were paying him as an off field/advisory type of position. He is stepping down because he was not getting the job done as an QB coach and moving to a different position on the staff.
You're crazy if you believe that. Absolutely I know this not to be the case.

Then you shouldn't have an issue listing 5-10...
Well, I guess you are trying to be snide, but let's take Michigan alone:

Bennie Oosterbaan named Bump Elliott who in turn named Bo Schembechler who in turn named Gary Moeller
Nebraska easy one Bob Devaney named Tom Osborn
Oklahoma easy one Bob Stoops named Lincoln Riley
There's five for you and I'll give you a clue that the next five can be found at one school. Let's see how good you are.

Well, I guess you are trying to be snide, but let's take Michigan alone:

Bennie Oosterbaan named Bump Elliott who in turn named Bo Schembechler who in turn named Gary Moeller
Nebraska easy one Bob Devaney named Tom Osborn
Oklahoma easy one Bob Stoops named Lincoln Riley
There's five for you and I'll give you a clue that the next five can be found at one school. Let's see how good you are.
The fact you had to go back 70 years (and even then, I'd love to read actual proof on some of these) speaks to our point.

The fact you had to go back 70 years (and even then, I'd love to read actual proof on some of these) speaks to our point.

If you actually were having conversation and not trying to defend someone just maybe you would use your head to figure out most of them went on to be A.D. or were Coach/A.D. SCHawkFan didn't try hard either to come up with one. It was more common years ago, but Stoops and Alverez weren't 70 years ago.

And if we could get all 4 or 5 stars damn we could beat NFL teams!!!!!! I saw a unicorn eating smurfs today!
Not even close to the same thing. If you can look at the offense and think, damn, more production would have mean a dozen more wins over the last 10 years, you’re an idiot.

Not even close to the same thing. If you can look at the offense and think, damn, more production would have mean a dozen more wins over the last 10 years, you’re an idiot.
I bet you tell your wife daily what she can do to be impossibly perfect too.

Reactions: PIEPI
Pickett and Racioppi has worked together often I know someone who was with Petras, Stanley, and Pickett when they were throwing at Princeton.
Also, Tony was a counselor at the Manning Passing Camp for several years. Here is an article about him when he was hired as Head coach at Franklin High School.

If you can read, look at what I have posted.
I have read what you posted. Stepping away for more family time.
Question, do you think he was getting it done as QB coach?
What will his capacity be in the new position?

Yes, and probably recruiting and offensive advising. He has contributed a lot to make the Iowa offense less predictable over the years (Ferentz controls the running aspect) and recruits really respect him. Iowa isn't the easiest place to recruit to. Just look at recruiting over the past 60 years at Iowa.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
He helped tutor some really good QBs at Iowa. Just because Petras isn't very good doesn't mean that O'Keefe wasn't getting the most out of him.
He is only in an off field position until his contract ends later this year.

Yes, and probably recruiting and offensive advising. He has contributed a lot to make the Iowa offense less predictable over the years (Ferentz controls the running aspect) and recruits really respect him. Iowa isn't the easiest place to recruit to. Just look at recruiting over the past 60 years at Iowa.
What do you see his role in recruiting looking like?

He is just in a "position" until his contract runs out this summer. Also, he can't recruit in his role off the field.

Reactions: grhawk
He is just in a "position" until his contract runs out this summer. Also, he can't recruit in his role off the field.
They obviously have someone in mind that they would like to hire and KOK decided to step down so they could fill his position.

Reactions: frydaze
They obviously have someone in mind that they would like to hire and KOK decided to step down so they could fill his position.
Do you think they're going to do a pretend national search for the best candidate like they did when they hired their current OC?

ADVERTISEMENT