ADVERTISEMENT

O-Line

No he didn't. There are a few guys (Ellsbury, Britt, Davidkov, Stephens) who we just haven't seen enough of at all to make any determination as to how good they are. Britt has been injured his entire Iowa career. A few folks here are in love with Ellsbury based on HS tape. That's fine, but when it comes to OL I don't pay attention to anything other than what we see in open practices or games. Have to actually get on the field and do it.

I'm not as optimistic on the OL as some others this year. Yes, should be improvement from Plumb, Richman and Colby as they have played meaningful snaps. But still 2-3 guys will have to play who haven't played a lot in games yet. It will take time for them. And they have a QB behind them who is not adept, at all, in covering up mistakes by the OL. On the optimistic side, I liked what I saw in the bowl game. Very few negative plays, generally time to throw the ball. Kentucky was without several starters, but that was still a better defense than many Big 10 defenses Iowa played last year.

Spot on. A good OL requires a lot more than hope and potential. Every player needs to be physically able to compete and needs to be in sync with the guy on each side of him. Jones may well become the next great center but he has a lot to learn before he can truly be effective. The center has to call the adjustments to what the defense is showing. There are exactly two guys returning on the line that have shown any results in game situations. If there is a positive, they probably can't be worse than last year.

First need to settle on a center, once that happens, I think we have plenty of talent in the other 4 positions.
Not only that. Lot of young talent. We could easily be starting 4 underclassman vs sdsu. However I’m pulling for him and think a healthy Britt could lock down the other G spot opposite Colby but if not see one of the other young guys.

Not only that. Lot of young talent. We could easily be starting 4 underclassman vs sdsu. However I’m pulling for him and think a healthy Britt could lock down the other G spot opposite Colby but if not see one of the other young guys.

The other og spot opposite of Colby will be huge camp battle between Elsbury, Dunker, Dejong and Britt. I predict Elsbury the winner.

The other og spot opposite of Colby will be huge camp battle between Elsbury, Dunker, Dejong and Britt. I predict Elsbury the winner.
Beau Stephens is probably the starter after Britt gets hurt, and maybe before. Could be Dunker, he's huge. I am not high on DeJong and feel there are a number of better options.

Think the line will have great depth. We need to develop that depth. The starters might get a few downs off here and there so guys like Dunker and the rest of last year's real or RS Freshmen start to gain some quality field time.

Reactions: millhawk
This is the first season in a while without an outstanding individual talent on the o-line. Of course, I'd rather have Wirfs and Linderbaum back. But maybe this will be the first season in a while when there isn't a glaring weakness across the front. Individual grades in the B-C range sound better than an A++ mixed with Ds and Fs.

This is the first season in a while without an outstanding individual talent on the o-line. Of course, I'd rather have Wirfs and Linderbaum back. But maybe this will be the first season in a while when there isn't a glaring weakness across the front. Individual grades in the B-C range sound better than an A++ mixed with Ds and Fs.
Curious what glaring weakness was there on the line Wirfs last year at Iowa…..I can’t remember the whole group cause I can’t remember anything…… but I thought that was a solid line

Last year’s line wasn’t great early on improved at the end….. they were inexperienced and young

Curious what glaring weakness was there on the line Wirfs last year at Iowa…..I can’t remember the whole group cause I can’t remember anything…… but I thought that was a solid line

Last year’s line wasn’t great early on improved at the end….. they were inexperienced and young
Guard was a revolving door of mediocrity and youth with the Paulsens and Ince. And Alaric Jackson wasn't fully healthy until mid-season or so. His first game back against Michigan was especially rough.

Reactions: natchrlman
ADVERTISEMENT