ADVERTISEMENT

O-line

WWDMHawkeye

HB Heisman
Nov 13, 2014
I may have missed it but haven't seen a thread specifically for the O-line. I'm sure they've gotten a good number of compliments, but I thought they deserved their own thread. SIAP. . . .

Lots of Hawks deserve a ton of credit -- players and coaches alike -- for the surprising success so far this year, but I wanted to give some serious props to an O-line that has been pretty shockingly effective despite the injuries and inexperience. Hats off to those kids for absolutely pulverizing the NW front 7 in the second half. I expected the O-line to be a liability this year and for CJ to struggle more than he should as a result. Like many aspects of this year's Hawks, I couldn't be happier to be wrong. Man, those kids are just smacking guys around -- and I love it.

Props to Brian Ferentz, too, for his work with the O-line and the run game. I love seeing #Attack on Brian's Twitter feed, too. "Attack" pretty well sums up much of this year's Iowa football season. It's great to see the Hawks on the attack, from the coaches down to the players. I think many of us have been hoping for quite some time to see the Hawks getting aggressive and avoiding the tendency to take the "safe"/conservative route. Man, is it great to see our O-line getting after it and pushing people around, surprising as it might be for some of us. Hats off to them.

I should have been more clear -- I was referring to the run game. No doubt the pass coverage needs work, but considering the key injuries on the O-line and that many of us expected the O-line to be a weakness coming into the season even without injuries, what these kids have done in the run game has been impressive to me. CJ does need more time in the pocket, but I actually expected worse.

Reactions: Floyd_of_Rosedale
Run Blocking is pretty good but pass protection is way bad. CJ has no time back there to do anything but dump it off quick, and still gets hit.
But all of out O-Linemen are going to be in the League someday.

KF might have found his (so far) a solid OL combo in week 7 with the new tackles. The pass blocking was actually pretty decent yesterday, quite likely the best of the season so far, keeping in mind that CJ is jello below the waist. Not one nasty hit on CJ like we have become accustomed to seeing. And this despite it being Northwestern and Fitz (who had to be satisfied with Canzeri). The offensive game plan built around screens also kept CJ relatively safe.

I may have missed it but haven't seen a thread specifically for the O-line. I'm sure they've gotten a good number of compliments, but I thought they deserved their own thread. SIAP. . . .

Lots of Hawks deserve a ton of credit -- players and coaches alike -- for the surprising success so far this year, but I wanted to give some serious props to an O-line that has been pretty shockingly effective despite the injuries and inexperience. Hats off to those kids for absolutely pulverizing the NW front 7 in the second half. I expected the O-line to be a liability this year and for CJ to struggle more than he should as a result. Like many aspects of this year's Hawks, I couldn't be happier to be wrong. Man, those kids are just smacking guys around -- and I love it.

Props to Brian Ferentz, too, for his work with the O-line and the run game. I love seeing #Attack on Brian's Twitter feed, too. "Attack" pretty well sums up much of this year's Iowa football season. It's great to see the Hawks on the attack, from the coaches down to the players. I think many of us have been hoping for quite some time to see the Hawks getting aggressive and avoiding the tendency to take the "safe"/conservative route. Man, is it great to see our O-line getting after it and pushing people around, surprising as it might be for some of us. Hats off to them.

BF taking over as 'run game' coordinator and implementing elements of Green Bays 'gap' run scheme has been huge! Iowa was relying too much on the zone scheme (some call it stretch, but stretch actually means something entirely different to a lot of coaches. It's a 'pin and pull' play) and teams were starting to 'tee off' on it a little bit, but the gap scheme is a great change up it and punishes teams that try to get too much penetration or play smaller and quicker D linemen. I'm not going to try to explain it to you, but trust me, they are utilizing it and you can do a search about GB;s gap scheme and there are some good articles explaining it.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Wonder if people are more open to BF being our next OC and possible next HC? I mentioned it earlier this year and still think he is going to be a hell of a HC at Iowa or elsewhere....bc BB and the stoops conversation should pretty much be over after this years lack of results and just embarrassing behavior (BB)......just my thoughts on whom I think should be next in line for OC (not saying anything bad about GD but he is getting up their in age) and also next HC after 2020 or later of course

I should have been more clear -- I was referring to the run game. No doubt the pass coverage needs work, but considering the key injuries on the O-line and that many of us expected the O-line to be a weakness coming into the season even without injuries, what these kids have done in the run game has been impressive to me. CJ does need more time in the pocket, but I actually expected worse.
Pass coverage is not a proper term in reference to OL pass Blocking.....it makes your whole statement less credible bc I have never heard anybody who has been around the game call pass blocking pass coverage.....pass coverage is when a defense is defending the passing a game...examples of coverages are man, cover 2, cover 3, quarters, etc. for future reference

Pass coverage is not a proper term in reference to OL pass Blocking.....it makes your whole statement less credible bc I have never heard anybody who has been around the game call pass blocking pass coverage.....pass coverage is when a defense is defending the passing a game...examples of coverages are man, cover 2, cover 3, quarters, etc. for future reference

I'm pretty sure WDM meant pass protection. This is IOWA's biggest weakness and has been for years.

There is a decent chance of IOWA starting a RS freshman at quarterback. The #1 goal should be to protect the quarterback as IOWA has only 2 listed on the depth chart.

Last edited:
While were speaking of O-line, with all the experience a bunch kids are getting, how good would an O-line of Myers at LT, Welsh at LG, Daniels at C, Croston at RG and Boetger at RT be next year! Sorry to look ahead, but this offense is developing nicely and they could be scary good next year with a lineup that looks like this (I won't include recruiting stars and 40 times like are old buddy Kilroy, lol)
WR J. Smith (is going to be a good one, learning from his namesake)
WR Vandy (kid is rock solid)
TE Kittle (developing into the next really good iowa TE)
LT 'Boom' Myers (will be a great battle tween him and Croston for this spot, with the 'loser' going to RG)
LG Sean "I'll be back" Welsh (has made huge strides since last year. Will only get better)
C Daniels (this kid is proving he can play anywhere on the line. How great would it be to have him at center? Can you say 'dominate'. Maybe the best in the country?
RG Croston (can he get as good as his dad? I'd take it)
RT Boetger ( I'm sure I'm misspelling his name but I think this kid will be better than Van Sloten)
QB CJB (enough said)
RB Committee of Daniels, Wadley, and Mitchell a year bigger, faster, stronger makes me drool a little, lol
FB Kulick (kid still needs to get bigger in the seat (he's majoring in becoming a strength and conditioning coach, so I have no doubt he will), but if you've been paying attention, he is a much better receiver and runner than Cox and Plewa. If he can get a little bigger and stronger so he can block at their level, he is dangerous coming out the backfield on their little checkdown and swing passes.

If this years team can finish strong, next years team could actually compete for championships. Hey, I can dream can't I:rolleyes:

Is that your opinion? You state it as fact. I'm not sure the coaching staff would agree that is the biggest problem year in and year out.
P.S. - Do you stick your arm up WDM's ass like a ventriloquist before you speak for him? :confused:
You won't last long newbie.

Floyd is exactly right. Brain fart on my part. I meant to say "pass protection". Trust me -- I know the difference.

While were speaking of O-line, with all the experience a bunch kids are getting, how good would an O-line of Myers at LT, Welsh at LG, Daniels at C, Croston at RG and Boetger at RT be next year! Sorry to look ahead, but this offense is developing nicely and they could be scary good next year with a lineup that looks like this (I won't include recruiting stars and 40 times like are old buddy Kilroy, lol)
WR J. Smith (is going to be a good one, learning from his namesake)
WR Vandy (kid is rock solid)
TE Kittle (developing into the next really good iowa TE)
LT 'Boom' Myers (will be a great battle tween him and Croston for this spot, with the 'loser' going to RG)
LG Sean "I'll be back" Welsh (has made huge strides since last year. Will only get better)
C Daniels (this kid is proving he can play anywhere on the line. How great would it be to have him at center? Can you say 'dominate'. Maybe the best in the country?
RG Croston (can he get as good as his dad? I'd take it)
RT Boetger ( I'm sure I'm misspelling his name but I think this kid will be better than Van Sloten)
QB CJB (enough said)
RB Committee of Daniels, Wadley, and Mitchell a year bigger, faster, stronger makes me drool a little, lol
FB Kulick (kid still needs to get bigger in the seat (he's majoring in becoming a strength and conditioning coach, so I have no doubt he will), but if you've been paying attention, he is a much better receiver and runner than Cox and Plewa. If he can get a little bigger and stronger so he can block at their level, he is dangerous coming out the backfield on their little checkdown and swing passes.

If this years team can finish strong, next years team could actually compete for championships. Hey, I can dream can't I:rolleyes:

I find it hilarious that you try to make a joke about Kilroy to make us believe you're not Kilroy.

Welcome back, Kilroy.

KF might have found his (so far) a solid OL combo in week 7 with the new tackles. The pass blocking was actually pretty decent yesterday, quite likely the best of the season so far, keeping in mind that CJ is jello below the waist. Not one nasty hit on CJ like we have become accustomed to seeing. And this despite it being Northwestern and Fitz (who had to be satisfied with Canzeri). The offensive game plan built around screens also kept CJ relatively safe.
Agree. That was by far the best pass protection we've had all year.

I find it hilarious that you try to make a joke about Kilroy to make us believe you're not Kilroy.

Welcome back, Kilroy.

:eek:, not quite, lol! But when I realized I had typed 'a line up that looks like this', I realized I had just typed a phrase he used a lot, so I thought I'd run with it a little. I hope you agree that is a pretty formidable line up. Should be able to run the ball down about anyone's throat leaving CJB to tear it up. I'm done dreaming now. Back to this years O-line. They are definitely getting better, especially executing the new run scheme (GB's gap scheme) and if they can get Boom and Botj healthy soon it gives them lots of options and depth between 7 lineman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT