ADVERTISEMENT

Obama to take Cuba off or terror watch list

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Are we over Cuba? In the linked article Marco Rubio trots out the defense of keeping Cuba on the list. We deal with a lot of nations that do far more than Cuba to support terrorism. We deal with a lot of nations that are openly antagonistic to the US, and provide an actual threat to the US. The list Rubio gives is mainly stuff that happened decades ago. Cuba is a basket case economically, and in my opinion is too weak to stir up much trouble anywhere. Even in the Caribbean. The Castro brothers are mostly dead. It's time to engage Cuba.

BBC link

Cuba relations is pretty much a non topic for most people in the USA. Here in Miami it is a different story. The older generation hates Castro because he basically took their houses, cars, and money and they had to flee to the USA.

I agree that it is a good idea to change direction with Cuba. I dont think it should be viewed as "they won". I think the USA should do everything possible to infiltrate Cuba and make the change come from within. Let the US business's and the Citizens flow into the country and start to change the place.

Originally posted by montross:

Cuba relations is pretty much a non topic for most people in the USA. Here in Miami it is a different story. The older generation hates Castro because he basically took their houses, cars, and money and they had to flee to the USA.

I agree that it is a good idea to change direction with Cuba. I dont think it should be viewed as "they won". I think the USA should do everything possible to infiltrate Cuba and make the change come from within. Let the US business's and the Citizens flow into the country and start to change the place.

If we, as a country, had taken this tact 50+ years ago, we'd likely have a much different country off of Florida than we do now. That internal change might have already happened many years ago.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

"The State Department determined that Cuba had not engaged in terrorist activity in the past six months - and therefore no longer belonged on the list."

Wow. A full six months. Impressive restraint.

Originally posted by KennyPowers_96:

Originally posted by IMCC965:
Next up Venezuela and North Korea. They're really just misunderstood.

Do you support keeping Cuba on the list and keeping no relations with them?

Absolutely. They're a repressive regime with dissidents locked up for speaking their mind. Do you agree with governments locking up people for criticizing them? I certainly don't. They're horrible on human rights and still contribute to terrorism. Oh, and they're in bed with the North Koreans.

Absolutely. They're a repressive regime with dissidents locked up for speaking their mind. Do you agree with governments locking up people for criticizing them? I certainly don't. They're horrible on human rights and still contribute to terrorism. Oh, and they're in bed with the North Koreans.
In that case would you support adding China, Russia, Saudi Arabia and dozens more to the list? Do you buy stuff made in China? Do you think that makes you guilty of supporting terrorists?

It's amazing how much better other countries react when we negotiate with diplomacy rather than missiles.

So, how do you feel about serving in a combat zone to protect countries like Saudi Arabia? A country where people are locked up, whipped in public, and sometimes just disappear? How do you feel about propping up the House of Saud during your time serving the US, only to see money flood from SA into the hands of terrorists?

Originally posted by MuscoHawk:

I thought it was pretty obvious. (Iran and Cuba)
Well, most "negotiations" have happy endings when one side only has to move 2% and the other gives up the other 98%.

Originally posted by 22*43*51:
Originally posted by MuscoHawk:

I thought it was pretty obvious. (Iran and Cuba)
Well, most "negotiations" have happy endings when one side only has to move 2% and the other gives up the other 98%.
Close, Iran is giving up 97% of its uranium.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:

In that case would you support adding China, Russia, Saudi Arabia and dozens more to the list?  Do you buy stuff made in China?  Do you think that makes you guilty of supporting terrorists?  
So by your logic if something is not justified everywhere it's not justified any where?

Originally posted by aflachawk:
Originally posted by naturalmwa:
In that case would you support adding China, Russia, Saudi Arabia and dozens more to the list? Â Do you buy stuff made in China? Â Do you think that makes you guilty of supporting terrorists? Â
So by your logic if something is not justified everywhere it's not justified any where?
So governments locking up people who criticize them is justified in some places? Tell us more. How do you decide? When does that cross the line in your view?

I'd say that's pretty close to a universal maximum and should be considered wrong at all times in all places. I can't really think of an exception, can you? IMCC thinks acting like this makes a government a terrorist state. Do you agree? If so, then shouldn't we add China and the rest to the list?

Originally posted by lucas80:

So, how do you feel about serving in a combat zone to protect countries like Saudi Arabia? A country where people are locked up, whipped in public, and sometimes just disappear? How do you feel about propping up the House of Saud during your time serving the US, only to see money flood from SA into the hands of terrorists?
I served in a combat zone because I made an oath to the U.S. I CANNOT refuse to follow orders. Do I agree with what Saudi Arabia does to its' people? No, I don't. But until this government does something about it, people who serve in the military have to follow orders. May sound like a sorry excuse to you, but it's reality in my world. Thank God I don't have to do that anymore since I'm retired now.

Originally posted by 22*43*51:

"The State Department determined that Cuba had not engaged in terrorist activity in the past six months - and therefore no longer belonged on the list."

Wow. A full six months. Impressive restraint.
And that is not even accurate. I have read (in several different places) of them doing so in just the past few months since Obama first broached the subject of changing the relationship.

I served in a combat zone because I made an oath to the U.S. I CANNOT refuse to follow orders. Do I agree with what Saudi Arabia does to its' people? No, I don't. But until this government does something about it, people who serve in the military have to follow orders. May sound like a sorry excuse to you, but it's reality in my world. Thank God I don't have to do that anymore since I'm retired now.

So now you're retired and not obligated to follow orders. Can we agree that Saudi Arabia and Cuba are pretty much on par with each other on how they view/respect their citizens? Is it possible to disagree with them without warring with them (militarily or economically)?

We've gone a very long time with the current policy and it's clear how well that worked.

So now you're retired and not obligated to follow orders. Can we agree that Saudi Arabia and Cuba are pretty much on par with each other on how they view/respect their citizens? Is it possible to disagree with them without warring with them (militarily or economically)?

We've gone a very long time with the current policy and it's clear how well that worked.

Sure. We can certainly agree with this. SA treats their citizens horribly, especially women, and Cuba just shot a bunch of dissidents just yesterday. Horrible countries.

I love how these neo-cons just cannot fathom being cordial with their former "enemies." It just gets them all worked-up. They thrive on conflict and the hope for combat engagement. They "take orders" their entire lives. It's a sad existence. Letting other people think for you is such a waste of life.

Originally posted by strummingram:
I love how these neo-cons just cannot fathom being cordial with their former "enemies." It just gets them all worked-up. They thrive on conflict and the hope for combat engagement. They "take orders" their entire lives. It's a sad existence. Letting other people think for you is such a waste of life.
Getting pounded in the back door by people over and over and complaining about the freedoms others died to protect is the way to go.

Originally posted by Smalls4IA:

Getting pounded in the back door by people over and over and complaining about the freedoms others died to protect is the way to go.
I'm going to clue you in on something that you will refuse to accept. Soldiers don't die to "protect freedoms" okay? That's the sales pitch they fall for to die for older, wealthy, more powerful men's greed. It's as ancient as the Pharaohs, dude. The only time Freedom is fought for is by poor people who fight for it from their own governments and ruling class, not by fighting other poor people in other countries.

You both do that somewhat, only he complains about surrendering those freedoms and he also doesn't finish his pounding by saying "thank you sir, may I have another?"

Cuba is a commie dictatorship which tortures and executes is subjects for speaking their minds.

Only a fool would propose what Obozo is proposing.

You both do that somewhat, only he complains about surrendering those freedoms and he also doesn't finish his pounding by saying "thank you sir, may I have another?"

I take it you know first hand since you were here quickly to defend your lover

I take it you know first hand since you were here quickly to defend your lover

You're homophobic too? Shocking. Since you're so good at taking orders, fetch me a drink patsy boy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT