ADVERTISEMENT

Obama was Accused of Treating Migrants in Remarkably Similar Ways to that of the Current White House

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Deplorable!

Also, there were migrant children who died during the first 2 years of the Obama administration. The article that follows states, however, that
"there were...no migrant children who died while in CBP custody during the final six years of the Obama administration."

From Newsweek, July 2, 2019:

ARE MIGRANT DETENTION CENTERS WORSE UNDER DONALD TRUMP THAN UNDER BARACK OBAMA?

BY JASON LEMON ON 7/2/19 AT 1:41 PM EDT
https://www.newsweek.com/migrant-detention-centers-trump-obama-1447160

Although it's difficult to compare precisely whether living conditions were worse or better under the former commander-in-chief, Obama's administration was accused of treating migrants in remarkably similar ways to that of the current White House.

Back in 2015, during Obama's tenure, a lawsuit filed by the ACLU referred to detention facilities as "hieleras" or "iceboxes," as Salon reported. The lawsuit accused CBP of maintaining "appalling conditions" that left people in "freezing, overcrowded, and filthy cells for extended periods of time, no access to beds, soap, showers, adequate meals and water, medical care, and lawyers in violation of constitutional standards and Border Patrol's own policies."

Those allegations sound almost identical to current conditions that have faced harsh criticism in recent weeks. Last month, a lawyer for Trump's Justice Department drew significant backlash after she attempted to argue in court that the government should not be required to provide migrants with basics necessities such as blankets, toothbrushes and soap. The judges hearing the arguments were taken aback when the attorney argued these things were not necessarily required to create a "safe and sanitary" environment.

Deplorable!

Also, there were migrant children who died during the first 2 years of the Obama administration. The article that follows states, however, that
"there were...no migrant children who died while in CBP custody during the final six years of the Obama administration."

Although it's difficult to compare precisely whether living conditions were worse or better under the former commander-in-chief, Obama's administration was accused of treating migrants in remarkably similar ways to that of the current White House.

Back in 2015, during Obama's tenure, a lawsuit filed by the ACLU referred to detention facilities as "hieleras" or "iceboxes," as Salon reported. The lawsuit accused CBP of maintaining "appalling conditions" that left people in "freezing, overcrowded, and filthy cells for extended periods of time, no access to beds, soap, showers, adequate meals and water, medical care, and lawyers in violation of constitutional standards and Border Patrol's own policies."

Those allegations sound almost identical to current conditions that have faced harsh criticism in recent weeks. Last month, a lawyer for Trump's Justice Department drew significant backlash after she attempted to argue in court that the government should not be required to provide migrants with basics necessities such as blankets, toothbrushes and soap. The judges hearing the arguments were taken aback when the attorney argued these things were not necessarily required to create a "safe and sanitary" environment.
Are you forgetting the Calif judge who ruled the cages unconstitutional and Obama complied within 72 hours on the ruling. Obama should have ordered those cages destroyed.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Migrants are being recruited and coached to come here. Some are legit and a lot are using children to get into this country. We as a sovereign nation have written rules and laws to protect our nation from an illegal invasion. That is what this border fiasco is. An invasion. I read somewhere that there is a new estimate of the number of illegals in this country is closer to 50 million people! If true, this is truly a travesty and a burden that we the taxpayers are funding. I am all about compassion but not when we are being taken advantage of.

This “border crisis” has reached crisis proportions only because of the ways chosen by my President deal with the problem. He did not “create” the problem....he just has decided to not deal with it in a professional manner and has decided it will be the centerpiece of his re-election campaign. He will use the border issue to further divide the citizens of this nation. By focusing on this problem, it will divert attention from the inefficiencies and shortcomings of his Administrations and allow the Courts to slowly erode the rights of our citizens in favor of corporate rights.

One of the cases being argued about the facilities was filed in 2015. Yet the media uses sound bites to attack Trump.

They attack Trump because he is in charge NOW. I don't care who started the problem, I don't care who built the cages - those things are now completely irrelevant. What difference does it make what Obama did or didn't do?

The job right now it to fix it. Historians can argue forever, if they want, about who's fault it was.

This “border crisis” has reached crisis proportions only because of the ways chosen by my President deal with the problem. He did not “create” the problem....he just has decided to not deal with it in a professional manner and has decided it will be the centerpiece of his re-election campaign. He will use the border issue to further divide the citizens of this nation. By focusing on this problem, it will divert attention from the inefficiencies and shortcomings of his Administrations and allow the Courts to slowly erode the rights of our citizens in favor of corporate rights.

Nailed it. We have an idiot POTUS who continues to a) make the problem worse with his disastrous Central American policy, and b) show zero leadership on fixing the problems that are only getting worse. It’s time to for Trump jock-sniffers to end the excuses and what-aboutisms.

Another "whataboutism" thread from the OP. What is your point? How about focusing on the problem in front of us and not the ones that may or may not have happened and there is nothing we can do about it. You claim to not support Trump, but all you do on these boards is try to explain why anybody on the left shouldn't be upset with Trump now.

They attack Trump because he is in charge NOW. I don't care who started the problem, I don't care who built the cages - those things are now completely irrelevant. What difference does it make what Obama did or didn't do?

The job right now it to fix it. Historians can argue forever, if they want, about who's fault it was.

The difference is this is a faux outrage due to Trump. When it was Obama a person would be labeled a racist for this type of outrage.

The difference is this is a faux outrage due to Trump. When it was Obama a person would be labeled a racist for this type of outrage.

Trump is the one that made immigration the #1 issue in America. He never stops talking about it, reminding everyone what a crisis it is. He WANTS everyone to pay attention to it. So, now that he has shown the spotlight on all things immigration, is it really surprising that people are reacting to one of the worst problems associated with it?

Trump has an opportunity of a lifetime - fix this mess and his approval rating will rise dramatically.

Or, he can continue to feel sorry for himself about the way he is being treated and continue to blame everything on Obama.

Deplorable!

So are you claiming what Trump is doing is okay?

I can’t speak to how the issue was handled in the past. Perhaps immigrants were handled poorly. But what I can say is that Trump and his supporters are absolutely gleeful at the notion of treating people poorly. And that is troubling to me.

Reactions: ft254 and Rudolph
Another "whataboutism" thread from the OP. What is your point? How about focusing on the problem in front of us and not the ones that may or may not have happened and there is nothing we can do about it. You claim to not support Trump, but all you do on these boards is try to explain why anybody on the left shouldn't be upset with Trump now.
In case you haven’t noticed, politics today is nothing but whataboutisms. See Epstein, etc. Both parties are becoming a race to the bottom.

Reactions: RTM58
Nailed it. We have an idiot POTUS who continues to a) make the problem worse with his disastrous Central American policy, and b) show zero leadership on fixing the problems that are only getting worse. It’s time to for Trump jock-sniffers to end the excuses and what-aboutisms.

The point of the orig post is that liberals are making it sound like the conditions of the detention centers was unprecedented.

Well, guess what? Obama set the precedent for the conditions at those detention centers.

You call it "what about-isms." But the truth of the matter is that Newsweek is simply reporting the truth.

So are you claiming what Trump is doing is okay?
I am pointing out that there are deplorables on both sides of the aisle.

Newsweek is pointing that out, too.

The country had no idea conditions were that bad during the Obama administration. Why do you think that is? Media bias? Or some other reasons?

The country had no idea that migrant children died during the 1st two years of the Obama administration. Why do you think that is? Media bias? Or some other reasons?

Reactions: Foxclone
trumpbaggers are the lowest scum of all time.
I think you could also say the 17 million Democratic libtards who voted in the primaries/caucuses to put a sexual predator back in the White House are the lowest scum of all time.

17 million Democratic libtard voters. That's a lot of scum. Don't you agree?

Being an independent is sometimes fun. It's pretty easy to see and point out the hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxclone
In case you haven’t noticed, politics today is nothing but whataboutisms. See Epstein, etc. Both parties are becoming a race to the bottom.

You are correct.

When Hillary tried to defend her sexual predator of a husband last year, what did she do? She said "What about the current occupant of the White House?"

Simply watch the first 30 seconds of this video to see my point:

Keep trying to rationalize Trump's shitty behavior.
why are you so defensive about this Newsweek article from 12 days ago?

It is clear from the article that:

* Migrant children died during Obama's first 2 years. Why doesn't anyone seem to know or care about that?

* The Obama Administration maintained "appalling conditions" that left people in "freezing, overcrowded, and filthy cells for extended periods of time, no access to beds, soap, showers, adequate meals and water, medical care, and lawyers in violation of constitutional standards and Border Patrol's own policies."

I think you could also say the 17 million libtards who voted in the primaries/caucuses to put a sexual predator back in the White House are the lowest scum of all time.

Being an independent is sometimes fun. It's pretty easy to see and point out the hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle.
You make no sense. Come back when you are truly independent.

I think you could also say the 17 million Democratic libtards who voted in the primaries/caucuses to put a sexual predator back in the White House are the lowest scum of all time.

I caucused for Bernie. I blame Hill on the southerners. The south sucks.

why are you so defensive about this Newsweek article from 12 days ago?

It is clear from the article that:

* Migrant children died during Obama's first 2 years. Why doesn't anyone seem to know or care about that?

* The Obama Administration maintained "appalling conditions" that left people in "freezing, overcrowded, and filthy cells for extended periods of time, no access to beds, soap, showers, adequate meals and water, medical care, and lawyers in violation of constitutional standards and Border Patrol's own policies."
You can’t keep repeating this narrative when you know libs did care and took Obama to court. It’s time for you to give libs credit.

Reactions: BioHawk
I caucused for Bernie. I blame Hill on the southerners. The south sucks.
The R's blew it when they nominated Trump. Sure, he won the election, but at a great, great cost.

The D's blew it, imo, when they nominated Hillary. I think a majority of Americans were done with the Bill & Hillary show.

why did we not know about the conditions of these facilities during the Obama administration until now? media bias?
Maybe. The corporate media sure has its faults, notably chasing public opinion for ad dollars. Maybe we need to invest more in a public option or bring back the fairness doctrine?

Reactions: lawsonhawk
The R's blew it when they nominated Trump. Sure, he won the election, but at a great, great cost.

The D's blew it, imo, when they nominated Hillary. I think a majority of Americans were done with the Bill & Hillary show.
I agree with both your points. Frankly I find it advantageous to have Trump representing cons while I get to dismiss Hill. There are advantages to not being in charge.

ADVERTISEMENT