ADVERTISEMENT

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Any of you other HORT nerds watching this new show on Disney+? Really good so far, in my opinion. Very interested to see where it goes.
I am very much enjoying it. The only thing that is bugging me is 10-year old Leah looks and runs like she’s 7, and it is comically bad acting that the people chasing her can’t catch her. She probably runs a 15-second 40 and it’s like they are trying tackle Barry sanders.

I am very much enjoying it. The only thing that is bugging me is 10-year old Leah looks and runs like she’s 7, and it is comically bad acting that the people chasing her can’t catch her. She probably runs a 15-second 40 and it’s like they are trying tackle Barry sanders.
😂 I thought the same thing. Apparently, The Inquisitors crew went to defensive camps at Nebraska.

Seeing Darth Vader back is freaking awesome, though. He's always been the best Star Wars character, IMO.

😂 I thought the same thing. Apparently, The Inquisitors crew went to defensive camps at Nebraska.

Seeing Darth Vader back is freaking awesome, though. He's always been the best Star Wars character, IMO.
The Vader stuff is actually awesome. I think this should be mandatory viewing after episode 3, if watching the movies in order,

Have not started the series yet. Maybe tonight. I see there is an issue with a bunch of “fans” sending racist messages to the actress who plays Reva.
Yeah that is pretty despicable. Piece of shit humans. I also saw some threads where people were complaining about her acting and were immediately labeled racist. Sometimes this world is just beyond stupid.

Yeah that is pretty despicable. Piece of shit humans. I also saw some threads where people were complaining about her acting and were immediately labeled racist. Sometimes this world is just beyond stupid.
What was said that is racist? Lots of things being labeled these days as racist that do not meet the definition.

What was said that is racist? Lots of things being labeled these days as racist that do not meet the definition.
Haven’t seen it myself but Evan McGregor felt the need to post a video response so I’m assuming it was stuff that crossed the line, at least in his view.

heck, remember some of the vitrio that was directed at the Asian actress (Kelly Tran sp?) after Last Jedi?

Haven’t seen it myself but Evan McGregor felt the need to post a video response so I’m assuming it was stuff that crossed the line, at least in his view.

heck, remember some of the vitrio that was directed at the Asian actress (Kelly Tran sp?) after Last Jedi?
Well the token roles are a little annoying. Trying too hard they are.

The last Jedi Kelly Tran did seem like a side plot that was completely shoehorned in the movie. I have no issue with people bitching about a role/plot but no need to send hateful messages via social media. I get the impression Reva is in a similar situation.

Haven’t seen ep3 yet, but it still seems ridiculous that Kenobi didn’t know Darth Vader/Anakin was alive. I know he’s in hiding, tatooine is remote and all that, but after 10 years he hasn’t once heard so much as a rumor about the terrifying Lord Vader?
I agree to an extent but perhaps he'd heard of "Darth Vader" and didn't realize he was Anakin Skywalker.

I think it’s been great with the one exception that once again Star Wars can’t figure out how to cast child actors. You’d think with Disney now in charge, this would be a strength. McGregor must be so sick of acting with bad child actors in Star Wars movies.

Not getting the Reva hate. I think she’s a great villain and that the actor brings a great intensity to the part. For my money, she’s been fantastic. Darth Vader was awesome in episode 3. His sadism in torturing the civilians showed his evilness more so than any scene in any Star Wars movie or show yet.

Ya, that bugged the $hit outta me too. Like who the frack didn't catch that in editing and not demand a reshoot?

I agree to an extent but perhaps he'd heard of "Darth Vader" and didn't realize he was Anakin Skywalker.
Agreed and the Third Sister knowing Vader is Anakin is a stretch. Literally no one knew but Palps. Hell, Snips didn't even know it until she sliced up his helmet with her laser sword. (although she was suspicious after sensing his presence).

Agreed and the Third Sister knowing Vader is Anakin is a stretch. Literally no one knew but Palps. Hell, Snips didn't even know it until she sliced up his helmet with her laser sword. (although she was suspicious after sensing his presence).
I think she is one of the orphans that escaped in the first episode. Maybe she put two and two together?

The black chick being in the empire is lame. The empire of course, was an analog for the Nazis. Look at the uniforms. Look at these guys. Show these picture to someone who hasn’t seen Star Wars and they’ll assume it’s a bunch of Nazis.

Bad-Corporate-Reputation-Boardroom.jpg

e5d_ia_1189_6c16bed1.jpeg

9905993c-785b-45dc-baa0-10d82476951c

Is it a coincidence that out of every actor in Hollywood, George Lucas chose the guy who looks exactly like Joseph Goebbels to play Moff Tarkin? It’s as on the nose as it could possibly be without giving Darth Vader a Hitler mustache.

Cushing.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1968-101-20A%2C_Joseph_Goebbels.jpg

You start putting women and black people in the empire, all of a sudden, what does the empire represent? They’re no longer genocidal racist fascists. They’re just… “mean,” I guess? Luke Skywalker has to save the galaxy from an inclusive form of government that’s just kind of mean. But representation matters!!! What about a young girl who could be the next Candace Owens? Who can she look up to in Star Wars?

The black chick being in the empire is lame. The empire of course, was an analog for the Nazis. Look at the uniforms. Look at these guys. Show these picture to someone who hasn’t seen Star Wars and they’ll assume it’s a bunch of Nazis.

^This guy played Walter Donovan, Nazi sympathizer, in Indiana Jones/Last Crusade and he chose poorly.

Is it a coincidence that out of every actor in Hollywood, George Lucas chose the guy who looks exactly like Joseph Goebbels to play Moff Tarkin? It’s as on the nose as it could possibly be without giving Darth Vader a Hitler mustache.

Cushing.jpg

You start putting women and black people in the empire, all of a sudden, what does the empire represent? They’re no longer genocidal racist fascists. They’re just… “mean,” I guess? Luke Skywalker has to save the galaxy from an inclusive form of government that’s just kind of mean. But representation matters!!! What about a young girl who could be the next Candace Owens? Who can she look up to in Star Wars?

The Empire is speciest against aliens and droids, not shades of humanity. But your confusion is understandable because Lucas is pretty racist and certainly so was his casting director.

Star Wars the Star Wars (because I refuse to call it A New Hope) had half a black actor in the entire thing as only James Earl Jones had any pigment on that film and he was added in Post. In Empire there was 1.5 as Billy Dee got to be on screen AND talk. And in Jedi there was a whopping 2 as you had Billy Dee, Jones’ voice and a black actress who played the Twilek dancer.

Out of over 900 actors in all of the Star Wars films how many have been black? 27. And almost all of those were in the new sequel series.

The Empire is speciest against aliens and droids, not shades of humanity. But your confusion is understandable because Lucas is pretty racist and certainly so was his casting director.

Star Wars the Star Wars (because I refuse to call it A New Hope) had half a black actor in the entire thing as only James Earl Jones had any pigment on that film and he was added in Post. In Empire there was 1.5 as Billy Dee got to be on screen AND talk. And in Jedi there was a whopping 2 as you had Billy Dee, Jones’ voice and a black actress who played the Twilek dancer.

Out of over 900 actors in all of the Star Wars films how many have been black? 27. And almost all of those were in the new sequel series.
How many were in Superman the Movie which came out the year after?

The sequencing has taken on GoT season 7 & 8 liberties. Many assumptions on how did they get to point B. Like how did the droid and sand snake rescue Ben if they were trapped between the fire and cliff?. How did they get so far away. Maybe those droids can fly?

Cushing.jpg

I liked Gus Fring as Moff Gideon in mandalorian.

Cushing.jpg

Think of them as modern day Russia except substitute the far eastern Russians - like those who committed war crimes in Bucha - with black people.

Yeah, it’s not like Star Wars was an exception to the rule back then. Black actors, were overwhelmingly the sidekick, comic relief guy/gal in most movies for a VERY long time. Heck, it still happens more than you’d think today.
I think what folks forget is only 12.4% of America's population is African American. The roles they play shouldn't be reduced to "token black friend" or "comic relief", BUT the simple fact their presence isn't equal to other races shouldn't be a black eye (no pun intended).

As of 2020
White (non-Hispanic) - 59.7%
Hispanic/Latino - 18.6%.
Black - 12.4%
Asian - 5.9%

Wowzers! Talk about a thread hijack.

I think what folks forget is only 12.4% of America's population is African American. The roles they play shouldn't be reduced to "token black friend" or "comic relief", BUT the simple fact their presence isn't equal to other races shouldn't be a black eye (no pun intended).

As of 2020
White (non-Hispanic) - 59.7%
Hispanic/Latino - 18.6%.
Black - 12.4%
Asian - 5.9%

Wowzers! Talk about a thread hijack.

I just don’t get the pushback to the ThirdSister character. she seems a perfectly acceptable villain, and we don’t yet know why she’s fixated on Kenobi.

I just don’t get the pushback to the ThirdSister character. she seems a perfectly acceptable villain, and we don’t yet know why she’s fixated on Kenobi.
I don't either...I read Disney Execs prepped her for racial backlash and sure enough trolls on SM started calling her an affirmative action hire. She's a solid character IMO, not amazing like, say a Giancarlo Esposito (Moff Gideon) or Ming-Na Wen (Fennec Shan). Both of those minority actors are fantastic! Unlike Rose Tico who isn't a great actress and her role was terribly written. IMO it had nothing to do with race, though, she just wasn't a good character. Hell, Hayden Christiansen was irritating as hell as whiny Anakin (I think that was due to bad scripting, though). I think most rational people can discuss good/poor actors w/o it having to do with race. Social Media gives a loud voice to minority opinions.

As for Third Sister's motivation, isn't it simply to gain favor from Vader and become the next Grand Inquisitor?

See my posts above. Everyone I talk to thinks the same in regards to her character and the acting. Seems like a miscast to me

She doesn’t seem terrible to me. Not the best villain I’ve ever seen, not the worst.
I don't either...I read Disney Execs prepped her for racial backlash and sure enough trolls on SM started calling her an affirmative action hire. She's a solid character IMO, not amazing like, say a Giancarlo Esposito (Moff Gideon) or Ming-Na Wen (Fennec Shan). Both of those minority actors are fantastic! Unlike Rose Tico who isn't a great actress and her role was terribly written. IMO it had nothing to do with race, though, she just wasn't a good character. Hell, Hayden Christiansen was irritating as hell as whiny Anakin (I think that was due to bad scripting, though). I think most rational people can discuss good/poor actors w/o it having to do with race. Social Media gives a loud voice to minority opinions.

As for Third Sister's motivation, isn't it simply to gain favor from Vader and become the next Grand Inquisitor?

Maybe, but it also seems personal for some reason regarding Kenobi.

She doesn’t seem terrible to me. Not the best villain I’ve ever seen, not the worst.

Maybe, but it also seems personal for some reason regarding Kenobi.
My guess Is that Star Wars has the wildest fans and if you mess up the lead villain so far in a huge series like Kenobi you will be getting some hate. I thought the original grand inquistor seemed like a better villain than Reva.

Now the racist stuff is just terrible human shit and judging everything off race instead of performance.

My guess Is that Star Wars has the wildest fans and if you mess up the lead villain so far in a huge series like Kenobi you will be getting some hate. I thought the original grand inquistor seemed like a better villain than Reva.

Now the racist stuff is just terrible human shit and judging everything off race instead of performance.

What were fans expecting is my question I guess. I think she’s fine. I didn’t have super high expectations for the show at first but I like most of what they’ve done so far.

I agree. I thought the Grand Inquisitor was a compelling character. It's too bad they killed him off so quickly. It'll also be interesting to see how they weave Luke Skywalker into the show. We've only seen a glimpse of him so far acting like a fighter pilot in the one scene.

What were fans expecting is my question I guess. I think she’s fine. I didn’t have super high expectations for the show at first but I like most of what they’ve done so far.
Fans were expecting a bad ass villain? Lol You obviously have Vader but he didn’t show up until episode 3 and she had to carry the weight.

You can like her and all but Obi Wan, especially Ewan Mcgregors Obi Wan, is one of the best characters from Star Wars. You mix him with a below avg Villain then you have a recipe for disaster among the Star Wars fans.

ADVERTISEMENT