ADVERTISEMENT

Observation about the Board

Eternal Return

HR Heisman
Oct 15, 2009
Years like this produce the most entertainment on this board because everyone has a decent case to be made that Iowa sucks, is mediocre, or is good. You've got the exciting win over Iowa State, the stunning blowout of Ohio State, the dramatic PSU loss, the drudgery of 17-10 losses to NW and MSU, the blandness of a 17-10 win over Minnesota, the boring but easy wins against overmatched opponents WYO, N. Texas, and Illinois, and the all-time turd against UW. The team sits at 6-4, 3-4 in conference. Quite a mix of great, good, mediocre, disappointing, and butt-ugly games. Everyone ends up having at least some validity to their arguments whether pro-Ferentz, those who want a better coach, those who want consistent football, those who love week-to-week uncertainty, those who want to win more, those who don't care because they root for Iowa no matter whether they are 0-12 or 12-0 (makes no difference to them), and so on.

See, with these types of seasons, which are the most common under Ferentz, everyone "wins" and the board gets a lot of action from all sides. For example, who thinks they can predict the Purdue outcome this week? No one, exactly. We don't even know if Iowa can beat the pitiful Nebraska team. They may beat them by 40 points, they could lose on the final play of the game, or even get stomped (though that seems the least likely). You just don't know what to expect with this level of inconsistency. There are only two more games left and we still can't tell if this is a good team, a bad team, or an utterly mediocre team. Exciting, right?

I’m on the meh Iowa is average and probably finish right where most thought at 8-4 or 7-5. However those close losses are very disappointing and get you thinking what could of been. Stoked about the OSU blowout but Iowa seems to have an upset almost every year. Not really surprised about the Wisky loss following the OSU game. Only thing that will surprise me more is if they actually show up to the bowl game and get back to at least competing in it.

The one thing I’ve learned is to not let the outcome of the game affect my daily life, too many more important things like family to let that happen.

My reactions and opinions pretty much stay the same from week to week.

I think Iowa will play well against Purdue and win by 14 +. What I'm interested in is the Nebraska game. Iowa has been terrible on the road in conference play and if you take out the two Josh Jackson INTs from last Saturday are averaging a woeful 6.6 points a game.

Nebraska isn't exactly a defensive juggernaut these days so I really want to see Iowa hang 40 on them again this season. To me, that would be an incredible way to end the year and salvage what has been a horror show on the road in conference play.

I’m on the meh Iowa is average and probably finish right where most thought at 8-4 or 7-5. However those close losses are very disappointing and get you thinking what could of been. Stoked about the OSU blowout but Iowa seems to have an upset almost every year. Not really surprised about the Wisky loss following the OSU game. Only thing that will surprise me more is if they actually show up to the bowl game and get back to at least competing in it.

The one thing I’ve learned is to not let the outcome of the game affect my daily life, too many more important things like family to let that happen.

Good post and attitude to have.

i would think Ohio State fans were as pissed at how they lost to Iowa as Iowa fans were pissed how they lost to Wisky.

Winning, period, now a days is hard. Winning on the road is hard, too.

I'm on the skeptical side of the fence. At times I love the coaching staff, and at times think it's time to move on. However, I am also one that is a realist, and I realize that we have not been mediocre just under Kirk Ferentz, but have been pretty much since Hayden Fry took over. Experts say we have a great coach, and that Iowa is just not going to get the highly ranked recruits that a tOSU, Michigan or Penn State will get, and others say that we should be getting more for the money paid. I agree we should expect more from the money being paid, but is it a realistic goal to think Iowa can move to the next level? Wisconsin has recently moved to be a level above Iowa, but is it sustainable? It helps the Badgers that Nebraska has sucked, and if they get a decent coach they will be a team to compete yearly with Iowa and WIsconsin. I personally think Wisconsin will come back down once the rest of the west takes a step forward. But, as to the topic at hand, I am really undecided as to our coaching staff. I am not going to be crushed if Kirk stays and I am not going to be crushed if he leaves before his contract is up. I actually think Brian will be a very good coach, he has fire in his belly that Kirk seems to lack, and has modern ideas learned from Belichick. And I would love to see Stoops as coach.

I get frustrated/disappointed like most, I also try to be realistic in expectations, I have said this before, living out of state for over 30 years gives you a different perspective, Iowa to Iowans is great, not so much for people from other areas. Bottom line it’s a tough sale when trying to land out of state talent, look throughout the region, programs keep changing coaches trying to find their magic in a bottle, It doesn’t happen often and while you may see a short burst of success you just don’t see long term excellence.
Of course Iowa could change coaches and elevate to a “next level”, they could just as easily fall back, the history of all the programs in the region bare it out, unless you believe every one of them has made a poor decision hiring coaches each and every time they have made a new hire.

My reactions and opinions pretty much stay the same from week to week.

I think Iowa will play well against Purdue and win by 14 +. What I'm interested in is the Nebraska game. Iowa has been terrible on the road in conference play and if you take out the two Josh Jackson INTs from last Saturday are averaging a woeful 6.6 points a game.

Nebraska isn't exactly a defensive juggernaut these days so I really want to see Iowa hang 40 on them again this season. To me, that would be an incredible way to end the year and salvage what has been a horror show on the road in conference play.

Those woopins in Lincoln r pretty fun, if u havent been b4.

I like how this thread turned out. I wasn't sure what to expect when I first posted. Good job, guys! If we were at a bar I'd buy the next round.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Years like this produce the most entertainment on this board because everyone has a decent case to be made that Iowa sucks, is mediocre, or is good. You've got the exciting win over Iowa State, the stunning blowout of Ohio State, the dramatic PSU loss, the drudgery of 17-10 losses to NW and MSU, the blandness of a 17-10 win over Minnesota, the boring but easy wins against overmatched opponents WYO, N. Texas, and Illinois, and the all-time turd against UW. The team sits at 6-4, 3-4 in conference. Quite a mix of great, good, mediocre, disappointing, and butt-ugly games. Everyone ends up having at least some validity to their arguments whether pro-Ferentz, those who want a better coach, those who want consistent football, those who love week-to-week uncertainty, those who want to win more, those who don't care because they root for Iowa no matter whether they are 0-12 or 12-0 (makes no difference to them), and so on.

See, with these types of seasons, which are the most common under Ferentz, everyone "wins" and the board gets a lot of action from all sides. For example, who thinks they can predict the Purdue outcome this week? No one, exactly. We don't even know if Iowa can beat the pitiful Nebraska team. They may beat them by 40 points, they could lose on the final play of the game, or even get stomped (though that seems the least likely). You just don't know what to expect with this level of inconsistency. There are only two more games left and we still can't tell if this is a good team, a bad team, or an utterly mediocre team. Exciting, right?
So true......

The only thing that frustrates me about this board is....sometimes it is hard to have a meaningful discussion. Once somebody says anything that can be construed as a criticism against Kirk or Brian, the usual band of suspects swoop in and call that person a hater, stupid, or an idiot, saying they don’t know anything about football, etc.

tl;dr most posts...but I look at this year very simply.

Most people had Iowa penciled in at 7 wins, Vegas I believe was mostly 6.5 over/under. They might get 8. I was fearful of a 2012 repeat, with all the coaching changes, but was in with the 7 win crowd.

Win the last two (piss-pound Nebraska showing Riley the door), then win the bowl game - which was my only real hope out of this year aside from the actual record. It's my honest belief we have a program that needs good things to happen at the end to string good seasons together.

Makes the off season less combative here, the program feels good about itself, and use it to get a recruiting class that contributes positively towards the future.

Then I'm happy. And of course, if this all occurs, next year, expectations go up for me - and most likely everybody else.

Most people had Iowa penciled in at 7 wins, Vegas I believe was mostly 6.5 over/under. They might get 8. I was fearful of a 2012 repeat, with all the coaching changes, but was in with the 7 win crowd.

Win the last two (piss-pound Nebraska showing Riley the door), then win the bowl game - which was my only real hope out of this year aside from the actual record. It's my honest belief we have a program that needs good things to happen at the end to string good seasons together.

Makes the off season less combative here, the program feels good about itself, and use it to get a recruiting class that contributes positively towards the future.

Then I'm happy. And of course, if this all occurs, next year, expectations go up for me - and most likely everybody else.
I thought Iowa would be 7-5 this season....would be surprised if we don’t win either of the last two.

The program REALLY needs a bowl win this year. It will be a big confidence builder for 2018.

I thought Iowa would be 7-5 this season....would be surprised if we don’t win either of the last two.

The program REALLY needs a bowl win this year. It will be a big confidence builder for 2018.
I understand w

I understand what your saying and agree but for some reason bowls just don't matter anymore just wait and see how many kids skip them again this year around the country it is another month to practice is about all it's about

How does a person reconcile this attitude when the AD is asking for millions of dollars in renovations at Kinnick, when you are asked to pay $2000 for a PSL, or just simply paying for season tix? In order for a person to put the amount of money into Iowa football the AD is asking the fan base to put in don't you think it is only natural for a person to have an expectation of some sort of return? I just don't see "0-12 I'll support the Hawks no matter what" or "Iowa is not sexy" as being conducive to that.

Don;t get me wrong, I'm not going to let college athletics ruin my life, but when it commands the type of dollars it does, when fans are being asked to pay more and more, well, there are going to be expectations. Ho-hum just doesn't cut it anymore.

So true......

The only thing that frustrates me about this board is....sometimes it is hard to have a meaningful discussion. Once somebody says anything that can be construed as a criticism against Kirk or Brian, the usual band of suspects swoop in and call that person a hater, stupid, or an idiot, saying they don’t know anything about football, etc.
Yeah, well you're an idiot, so what's your point, LOL. Just kidding. I've noticed you get frustrated fairly easily and in order to have a 'meaningful' discussion you have to be willing to 'hear' other perspectives and learn new information. We have too many people on here that think they know it all, but there are only about 3 of us that actually come close; Me, Ghost, and milehigh24, LOL. We all can lighten up some and learn from each other.
It just gets old that every time people are disappointed in a loss, the anti-Ferentz crowd comes on and starts the old 'I told you so' stuff and 'they suck ', or 'our recruiting sucks', etc...and they keep it up for days on end. Outright insults about the coaches (which many do) can only be 'construed' as criticism or worse. A lot of us come on here to vent, but let it out and let it go. I was furious with BF by the 4th qtr. of the Whisky game and let everyone on here know it, but I let it go. That's all I ask.

Reactions: cocoem
For the most part fans are crazy and don't know enough about what they're talking about.

Iowa has so far the 8th most difficult schedule in the country and to be sitting at 6 and 4 with the kind of losses they've had short of the Wisconsin debacle, it could be easily argued that that is a success with the young team that they had coming back and the big question marks at quarterback and defensive back.

If Iowa wins the next three games I don't see how anyone could say this season was not a fantastic success With All Things Considered

Reactions: Muskie5
I'm overall pretty "meh" about the year as well. The tosu game being the exception.
I thought they were about a 7-5 team. They are on track for that at least.

Some are just going to love Iowa football no matter what. I don't look down upon those folks, but I watch to be entertained. When they play the same stagnant offense, it's just incredibly tedious. The low scoring affairs have been snoozers. I don't hesitate to change the channel or do something else when it's one of those kind of games.

I watch when it's worth watching; I don't when it's not. I don't lose any sleep over it either way.

So true......

I know exactly the ones you're talking about, use that ignore option it makes HR much more enjoyable.

Yeah, well you're an idiot, so what's your point, LOL. Just kidding. I've noticed you get frustrated fairly easily and in order to have a 'meaningful' discussion you have to be willing to 'hear' other perspectives and learn new information. We have too many people on here that think they know it all, but there are only about 3 of us that actually come close; Me, Ghost, and milehigh24, LOL. We all can lighten up some and learn from each other.
It just gets old that every time people are disappointed in a loss, the anti-Ferentz crowd comes on and starts the old 'I told you so' stuff and 'they suck ', or 'our recruiting sucks', etc...and they keep it up for days on end. Outright insults about the coaches (which many do) can only be 'construed' as criticism or worse. A lot of us come on here to vent, but let it out and let it go. I was furious with BF by the 4th qtr. of the Whisky game and let everyone on here know it, but I let it go. That's all I ask.
Wow somebody should make you, ghost, and milehigh mods, or at least give you guys a badge or something so plebs like myself know that you're of superior intellect

lol, your post was longer than mine! ;) Still, nice post.

For the most part fans are crazy and don't know enough about what they're talking about.

Iowa has so far the 8th most difficult schedule in the country and to be sitting at 6 and 4 with the kind of losses they've had short of the Wisconsin debacle, it could be easily argued that that is a success with the young team that they had coming back and the big question marks at quarterback and defensive back.

If Iowa wins the next three games I don't see how anyone could say this season was not a fantastic success With All Things Considered

I agree on the schedule. There's a pretty good chance all 3 of Iowa's non-con goes to bowls - let alone the MSU/OSU/PSU gauntlet.

I mean...yeah, bowls ain't the "reward for a good season" it used to be. But I bet you can ask every non-bowl team whether they'd love going to a bowl or not, and most all would say yes no matter how insignificant it was.

I'm overall pretty "meh" about the year as well. The tosu game being the exception.
I thought they were about a 7-5 team. They are on track for that at least.

Some are just going to love Iowa football no matter what. I don't look down upon those folks, but I watch to be entertained. When they play the same stagnant offense, it's just incredibly tedious. The low scoring affairs have been snoozers. I don't hesitate to change the channel or do something else when it's one of those kind of games.

I watch when it's worth watching; I don't when it's not. I don't lose any sleep over it either way.
The tOSU game was awesome, until the Wisky fiasco erased it.

Wow somebody should make you, ghost, and milehigh mods, or at least give you guys a badge or something so plebs like myself know that you're of superior intellect
I agree!!! Lol. Here's my badge....
badge_i_am_very_important_6.png

Never ceases to amaze me that the ones that want to puff up and be the most critical are the ones that puff up the most when they are refuted. Misery loves company

Iowa football has been a rollercoaster ride for 40 years. This season is a perfect example of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT