ADVERTISEMENT

Oct 17 start date

sultanofsuede

HR Heisman
Nov 30, 2004
Friend that works for the university (not in a sports cacity) just told me the B1G is going to go. Not seeing any news of it yet - wtf? Still just rumor?

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
If this happens, playing 3 in Oct.,4 in Nov., then on Dec. 5 , 12,... that is 9 games with a possible Big Ten title game on Dec. 19.
Will that allow the Big Ten to participate in the playoff?

If this happens, playing 3 in Oct.,4 in Nov., then on Dec. 5 , 12,... that is 9 games with a possible Big Ten title game on Dec. 19.

Maybe? Probably? I would guess they will go for 8 games plus championship game. Leave a bye built in to handle rescheduling and flexibility for COVID issues. Of course, they could have just started on 9/12 or 9/26 and had plenty of extra weeks for open dates for postponement flexibility, but that would make too much sense.

Everything I've read on espn or cbs sports was saying 10/10 for the playoffs but you'd have to think they'd allow it with one week difference but then again who knows these days. Plus you'd think with everything going on wouldn't be a huge issue to push the playoff dates back a few weeks and title games since they are all in domes or warm weather stadiums. I'll be curious to see how many games they play and if so how our 3rd schedule for 2020 will look.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Everything I've read on espn or cbs sports was saying 10/10 for the playoffs but you'd have to think they'd allow it with one week difference but then again who knows these days. Plus you'd think with everything going on wouldn't be a huge issue to push the playoff dates back a few weeks and title games since they are all in domes or warm weather stadiums. I'll be curious to see how many games they play and if so how our 3rd schedule for 2020 will look.

If I had to guess on the schedule, it would be that they'll go with the original revised scheduled released in early Augsut, minus the games that were scheduled the first week. In other words, start with the games scheduled in week 2, then play out the rest of the scheduled as proposed.

Reactions: Eternal Return
I am left leaning, but I want them to play. There are going to be risks, attendance will be curbed or nil. Communities and schools have too much to lose by not playing. The interconnection of the the economics of college football is staggering.

I think player risk can be mitigated. In this toxic political atmosphere I'd like to think college football can bring a little unity back to the country, even if it's for only an afternoon.
I agree, thanks for your reasoned response and for keeping it non-political.

Reactions: redghost1974
If I had to guess on the schedule, it would be that they'll go with the original revised scheduled released in early Augsut, minus the games that were scheduled the first week. In other words, start with the games scheduled in week 2, then play out the rest of the scheduled as proposed.

I think it will only be 8 games if they play. Probably eliminate the extra cross-over game and have the B10CCG.

Only if you work for the University in a non sports cacity.

My job does not relate to sports so in that regard I am good.
with that being said, football games will start back up on Oct. 10 for the big 10. I’ll even throw a wrinkle in here for you all and tell you that the pac 12 is starting back up Oct 17.
You’re all welcome!

My job does not relate to sports so in that regard I am good.
with that being said, football games will start back up on Oct. 10 for the big 10. I’ll even throw a wrinkle in here for you all and tell you that the pac 12 is starting back up Oct 17.
You’re all welcome!

Too soon for the Pac 12. They will be luck if its Thanksgiving when they return.

Is Oct. 17th official yet? If not, there are plenty of people on here just dying to get into a political argument..... On a Hawkeye Football Forum. Please just take your attitudes to a political forum and leave this one for sports.

No crossovers, and a four team BIG play-off for the championship. West Champion plays East Runner-up, and the reverse in the first round. Winners play for the title.

Don’t like the sound of that.

As more time goes on, I'm becoming convinced that a great many of the presidents just don't care for football much and thinks sports in general and football in particular need to be taken down a peg or 20. They are long-playing this like crazy. What's likely to occur is an approval eventually for a season but so many restrictions in place as to make it impossible to finish a season. How many tens of thousands of cases on university campuses are we up to now, with zero hospitalizations? but yes, we can't play football due to COVID.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
As more time goes on, I'm becoming convinced that a great many of the presidents just don't care for football much and thinks sports in general and football in particular need to be taken down a peg or 20. They are long-playing this like crazy. What's likely to occur is an approval eventually for a season but so many restrictions in place as to make it impossible to finish a season. How many tens of thousands of cases on university campuses are we up to now, with zero hospitalizations? but yes, we can't play football due to COVID.

This is exactly it. NCAA football has grown too big and too influential and is usurping the academics of the institutions. You know some of these people believe this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT