ADVERTISEMENT

Oct. 24th start date?

Sooo.... If Iowa City goes above 7.5% positivity, team stops practice and games for at least 7 days.

What a joke. What percentage is Iowa City at right now? Any B1G teams that can't practice currently, based on this?!

I'm glad to have SOMETHING on the horizon for games, but I see a lot of practices and games cancelled

21 days isn't for quarantine with daily testing. It's to monitor for heart issues.
21 days isn't for quarantine with daily testing. It's to monitor for heart issues.

billlandis25

@BillLandis25
Daily testing for Big Ten teams begins Sept. 30. "The earliest a student-athlete can return to game competition is 21 days following a COVID-19 positive diagnosis."

Harbaugh said 2 weeks for his team and Alvarez stated 3 weeks for the Badgers once they resume. I'd say maybe that basis?
I believe KF has said at least 4 weeks but would like 6. Iowa has had 3 full practices (mid-August) since spring shutdown before shutting down around Labor Day.

Sooo.... If Iowa City goes above 7.5% positivity, team stops practice and games for at least 7 days.

What a joke. What percentage is Iowa City at right now? Any B1G teams that can't practice currently, based on this?!

I'm glad to have SOMETHING on the horizon for games, but I see a lot of practices and games cancelled
Johnson County is currently at 10.4% for 14 day rolling average.

I believe KF has said at least 4 weeks but would like 6. Iowa has had 3 full practices (mid-August) since spring shutdown before shutting down around Labor Day.
Maybe for full contact, but I'm pretty sure they have continued the strength & conditioning components other than the 1 week they shut down due to high positive case counts.

The Big Ten Conference will use data provided by each Chief Infection Officer (CInO) to make decisions about the continuation of practice and competition, as determined by team positivity rate and population positivity rate, based on a seven-day rolling average:
  • Team positivity rate (number of positive tests divided by total number of tests administered):
    • Green 0-2%
    • Orange 2-5%
    • Red >5%
  • Population positivity rate (number of positive individuals divided by total population at risk):
    • Green 0-3.5%
    • Orange 3.5-7.5%
    • Red >7.5%
Decisions to alter or halt practice and competition will be based on the following scenarios:
  • Green/Green and Green/Orange: Team continues with normal practice and competition.
  • Orange/Orange and Orange/Red: Team must proceed with caution and enhance COVID-19 prevention (alter practice and meeting schedule, consider viability of continuing with scheduled competition).
  • Red/Red: Team must stop regular practice and competition for a minimum of seven days and reassess metrics until improved

The Big Ten Conference will use data provided by each Chief Infection Officer (CInO) to make decisions about the continuation of practice and competition, as determined by team positivity rate and population positivity rate, based on a seven-day rolling average:
  • Team positivity rate (number of positive tests divided by total number of tests administered):
    • Green 0-2%
    • Orange 2-5%
    • Red >5%
  • Population positivity rate (number of positive individuals divided by total population at risk):
    • Green 0-3.5%
    • Orange 3.5-7.5%
    • Red >7.5%
Decisions to alter or halt practice and competition will be based on the following scenarios:
  • Green/Green and Green/Orange: Team continues with normal practice and competition.
  • Orange/Orange and Orange/Red: Team must proceed with caution and enhance COVID-19 prevention (alter practice and meeting schedule, consider viability of continuing with scheduled competition).
  • Red/Red: Team must stop regular practice and competition for a minimum of seven days and reassess metrics until improved

So is "population" the county, city, university? Seems to be a different group than the TEAM.

What is the difference in "team" and "team population"?

The article I'm reading says,
"If the team's positivity rate exceeds 5% or the population's positivity rate exceeds 7.5%"
Test positivity vs team population positivity. Test 20 people, get 5 positives - well you violated the test positive (5%) threshold, but not necessarily the team positivity threshold (7.5%).

To stop activities it’s team > 5% AND population > 7.5%. But what’s the definition of population?

Test positivity vs team population positivity. Test 20 people, get 5 positives - well you violated the test positive (5%) threshold, but not necessarily the team positivity threshold (7.5%).

That would make sense too... But what I saw only said "team positivity" and "population positivity". Not "test positivity".

Guess I'll be patient and wait for clarification

Kind of sounds like 5% is players. 7.5% is players and support staff.

Yeah, no way they would be ready by the 10th. Maybe you could get there by the next week but it would be cutting it close.
October 10th is 24 days away. 31 days or a full month from the 17th.

That's pushing it to be "ready" for the season considering they've already been on campus for summer workouts?

Reactions: HawkInArk
October 10th is 24 days away. 31 days or a full month from the 17th.

That's pushing it to be "ready" for the season considering they've already been on campus for summer workouts?

Yeah, but that is if they started full practices today which they don't. They said a practice schedule will be put together.

They are at least double as restrictive as any other conference. Probably the only way to get some schools on board. It's not impossible but the players are being asked to be extremely vigilant.

7 day average of > 5% positivity is a fine threshold. Over 7 days, it would be VERY difficult to be greater than 5%.

Quite a few angry people today on what I thought was a great day for B1G football fans. I didn't know I was supposed to be pissed off. Thanks for a heads up.
Well, if you were promised you were gonna get a cupcake, and then your parents took it away because they said it was unhealthy for you, and so you whined and complained about it until finally your parents caved in and said, "Fine, you want a cupcake so bad, here's your f***ing cupcake" as they smush it on the table in front of you, and then sternly place a small plate and napkin next to it, and then picking up the smashed cupcake and splatting it on the plate, before saying, "There, are you happy now?" as they storm off from the kitchen, how would you feel?........................

Well, if you were promised you were gonna get a cupcake, and then your parents took it away because they said it was unhealthy for you, and so you whined and complained about it until finally your parents caved in and said, "Fine, you want a cupcake so bad, here's your f***ing cupcake" as they smush it on the table in front of you, and then sternly place a small plate and napkin next to it, and then picking up the smashed cupcake and splatting it on the plate, before saying, "There, are you happy now?" as they storm off from the kitchen, how would you feel?........................
Damn that was visceral

Read some of the fine details. Will be almost impossible for all of these teams to play an entire schedule. For example, if 5% of a team gets a positive test (approximately 5 players) the entire team has to shut down for a week, minimally. Also, if a player tests positive they have to sit out three weeks. That’s three games.
Correct, half the games will not be played if this stands.

ADVERTISEMENT