ADVERTISEMENT

Nov 19 INJURY Updates;Iowa Practices on FRIDAY;Wirfs on moving to LT: Like wiping butt w/ other hand

Thanks for the updates!
I guess there are 11 dinged up players.

The latest:

Here is a Timeline for when 11 dinged up/injured Hawkeyes are hopefully back on the field.

Were Good to go Saturday, Sep 14 vs. the Clowns & should be fine moving forward

OL Tristan Wirfs

DB Geno Stone

OL Cole Banwart -- saw action vs the Clowns on Sep 14; he was the #2 Center vs the Clowns; on Sep 10 KF said that Banwart is likely back in the rotation on the offensive line vs the Clowns

RB Mekhi Sargent -- played in the Clown U game on Sep 14. In pregame warmups, Leistikow reported that he had a wrap or cast around his right wrist; suffered the potential injury in practice on Friday, the 13th.

WR Brandon Smith -- during the Sep 14 Clown game, per Iowa radio sideliner Rob Brooks, Smith hurt his shoulder/collarbone. Brandon headed to the locker room as a result. He should be fine, however.

*****Iowa has a bye on Sep 21*****

Likely back for Sep 28 nonconf game

DB Julius Brents (knee injury)--on Sep 3 was reported he'd be out a couple of weeks.

DB Matt Hankins (hamstring) -- On Sep 10, Leistikow reported that Kirk Ferentz's answer on Matt Hankins' status for the Sep 14 Cy-Hawk game was mostly cloudy. Then on Wed Sep 11, Ferentz, on his radio show, said that Iowa would play it by ear whether the junior starting cornerback would play at Iowa State. For the Sep 14 Clown game, Matt did not get off the team bus. HOWEVER, on Sep 14 Marc Morehouse reported this: Whomever plays for Hankins (vs Clown U) probably gets Sept. 28 game vs. MTSU. NOTE: DJ Johnson was in for Hankins.

FS Kaevon Merriweather--a right foot injury; will NOT need surgery. KF said he wouldn't play vs the Clowns on Sep 14. Jack Koerner got his second straight start vs ISU as a result.

Likely out until Sep 28 nonconf game or Oct 5 Michigan game

OL Alaric Jackson has a sprained knee

Brady Reiff (knee injury) -- he missed the Sep 14 ISU game (did not get off the team bus); waiting for latest update from KF. Daviyon Nixon started the Sep 14 ISU game in place of Reiff.

Likely Out until early or mid October (ready by Oct 12 PSU game?)

DB Riley Moss (likely a knee injury, as reported by Morehouse)--on Sep 3 was reported that he was out 4-6 weeks with leg injury.

Last edited:
From Hawk Central.com
Mark Emmert,
Published 4:33 p.m. CT Sept. 18, 2019 | Updated 4:36 p.m. CT Sept. 18, 2019

There is a history of walk-ons earning starting safety jobs at Iowa.

Jack Koerner looks like he may have shown enough in two starts to hold off Kaevon Merriweather, even when he returns from his foot injury.

Iowa defensive coordinator Phil Parker, speaking to reporters Wednesday during the Hawkeyes’ bye week, indicated it’s going to be difficult for Merriweather to beat out Koerner. Merriweather, a sophomore from Michigan, won the job during training camp and had a couple of shaky moments in a 38-14 season-opening win over Miami (Ohio). He then hurt his foot the day before No. 18 Iowa (3-0) beat Rutgers.

Koerner, a sophomore from West Des Moines Dowling Catholic, has started the past two games and ranks fourth on the team with 12 tackles and tied for first with two pass breakups.

“It's going to be hard and very competitive at that position when Merriweather comes back,” Parker said.

“The great thing about it is the players usually decide. They usually decide who is playing, their preparation and their understanding; how they take command of the back end. … You also need a good free safety to be the commander, too; and whoever can come out there and take that. I'd rather have a guy that knows what's going on and can get in the right places and making sure that we are in the right defenses.

Parker said Merriweather “has a chance to get back” for Iowa’s Sept. 28 home game vs. Middle Tennessee State. Cornerback Julius Brents, who hasn’t played yet this season while dealing with a knee injury, is also close to returning, Parker said.

That will help a secondary that has been beset with injuries. Cornerbacks Matt Hankins and Riley Moss also are out.

The good news, Parker was quick to point out, is that redshirt freshman safety Dane Belton has been shining in practices again. He also has been used some at the “cash” position.

“Dane Belton is another guy that we thought a lot that he was moving up (during the summer) and he fell back down a little bit and now he's moving back up,” Parker said. “So interesting to see where he is here in the next week and a half.”

D.J. Johnson gets torched, but 'had a great response'

Redshirt freshman D.J. Johnson got his first career start at cornerback in place of Hankins in Saturday’s 18-17 win at Iowa State. Johnson was burned on the Cyclones’ first touchdown, but bounced back with eight tackles and two passes broken up to be named co-freshman of the week in the Big Ten Conference.

Parker said he was happy to see some quick maturation from Johnson.

“Sometimes you can sit there and tell players and make sure you have eye discipline. With that play, obviously he took his eyes in the wrong spot. Young kids do that,” Parker said.

“He had a great response. He goes, ‘Coach, I know, I've got to get better.’ I think there's some plays he made out there. One time on the deep ball in the post, he defended that well. So he grew up. Does he have a lot more to go? Yeah, he has a long ways to go, and he knows that and he worked hard today.”

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...snt-want-talk-about-oliver-martin/2356631001/

Reactions: buchs
During a game week:
Wed: Iowa wraps up preparations
Thur: No practice
Fri: Light practice (when Sargent was injured)

Here is a Timeline for when 11 dinged up/injured Hawkeyes are hopefully back on the field.

Should be Good to go Saturday, Sep 28 vs. Middle Tennessee State:

OL Tristan Wirfs (knee)

DB Geno Stone (knee)

WR Brandon Smith (shoulder/collarbone)

RB Mekhi Sargent (right hand injury suffered in Fri Sep 13 practice)

OL Cole Banwart; on Sep 14 Banwart was back in the rotation on the offensive line vs the Clowns; he was the #2 center

DT Brady Reiff (knee injury) -- On Sep 14 did not get off team bus vs Clown U; Daviyon Nixon started in his place

Might be available for Sep 28 nonconf game

FS Sophomore Kaevon Merriweather--a right foot injury; will NOT need surgery. He did not play vs the the Clowns. Jack Koerner got his second straight start as a result. Per Phil Parker, it will be difficult for Merriweather to beat out & get his job back from Koerner. He practiced during the Sep 21 bye week.

DB Julius Brents (knee injury)--on Sep 3 was reported he'd be out a couple of weeks.

Likely out until Oct 5 Michigan game:

OL Alaric Jackson has a sprained knee. Polasek said AJ had an "outside chance" at playing this week (Sep 28 vs Middle Tennessee), but was still dealing with a bone bruise during the bye week.

DB Matt Hankins (hamstring) -- Likely will be held out on Sep 28; On Sep 14, did not get off the bus vs Clown U; DJ Johnson started in his place. On Sep 10, Leistikow reported that Kirk Ferentz's answer on Matt Hankins' status for the Cy-Hawk game was mostly cloudy. Then on Wed Sep 11, Ferentz, on his radio show, said that Iowa would play it by ear whether the junior starting cornerback would play at Iowa State. For the Sep 14 Clown game, Matt did not get off the team bus. HOWEVER, on Sep 14 Marc Morehouse reported this: Whomever plays for Hankins (vs Clown U) probably gets Sept. 28 game vs. MTSU. NOTE: DJ Johnson was in for Hankins.

Likely Out until early or mid October (ready by Oct 12 Penn State game?)

DB Riley Moss (knee injury)--on Sep 3 was reported that he was out 4-6 weeks with leg injury.

Last edited:
I know all of the players (current and former) love coach Doyle and I never question his strength program but at some point do we become a little concerned about the conditioning of our players?

Or why we are practicing on Fridays? On Friday the 13th, during a practice, is when Sargent hurt his wrist

As pointed out above,

During a game week:

I am starting to think the Friday, supposedly "light practice" needs to start being conducted from couches or via Facetime. Every year we hear about key guys hurt on the Friday before the game.

I am starting to think the Friday, supposedly "light practice" needs to start being conducted from couches or via Facetime. Every year we hear about key guys hurt on the Friday before the game.
there have been at least a couple players hurt on a Friday practice this season; Sargent & I forget the other one....

This is a little concerning considering he was the starter and had earned it. I haven't seen enough from Koerner to anoint him just yet.
also, Jack Koerner replaced Merriweather; Jack now has 2 straight starts.

Per Phil Parker, it will be difficult for Merriweather to beat out & get his job back from Koerner.

In Phil you trust? ;)

IMO, even considering his consistent mild-mannered approach over the years, KF seems to be lacking confidence and enthusiasm when answering questions from the media. Maybe he's just "over" the part of his job where he has to "deal" with the media and/or he's genuinely concerned about his team because of the injury situation. I don't know - just what I see when he speaks..no spark. Some doom and gloom in his tone.

IMO, even considering his consistent mild-mannered approach over the years, KF seems to be lacking confidence and enthusiasm when answering questions from the media. Maybe he's just "over" the part of his job where he has to "deal" with the media and/or he's genuinely concerned about his team because of the injury situation. I don't know - just what I see when he speaks..no spark. Some doom and gloom in his tone.
i think most coaches look at press conferences as part of the job; i doubt many actually look forward to it or enjoy it much;)

We need to get a whole bunch of guys healthy soon.

We’ve got a tough stretch coming up. And I like that some guys are getting experience. But I don’t think they’re ready for prime time quite yet.

Yeah, the list has been rather long ever since I started this thread on Sep 3 :(

Hawkeyes short-handed again as injury list grows

Chad Leistikow, Hawk Central
Published 12:59 p.m. CT Sept. 24, 2019 | Updated 3:06 p.m. CT Sept. 24, 2019

IOWA CITY, Ia. — After the first of two scheduled idle weekends of the Iowa football season, the 14th-ranked Hawkeyes' injury list actually got longer, not shorter.

Kirk Ferentz dropped that bit of concerning news Tuesday in the lead-up to Saturday's 11 a.m. home game against Middle Tennessee State.

"We're really not making any significant progress or significant news on the injury front," Ferentz said, moments after revealing that starting right guard Kyler Schott would miss several weeks with a foot injury he suffered Sunday during practice.

Schott will be replaced in the lineup by Cole Banwart, a seven-game starter in 2018 who returned to the field (from a leg injury) on a rotational basis in Iowa's 18-17 win at Iowa State. So that one-for-one trade-off isn't a major concern; what is concerning is that the Hawkeyes will continue to be without left tackle Alaric Jackson (a third-year starter); defensive tackle Brady Reiff (a starter); and defensive backs Matt Hankins, Kaevon Merriweather, Julius Brents and Riley Moss (all starters in the past year).

"We're getting closer. But closer to what? Who knows?" Ferentz said. "A lot of ambiguity right now."

So, Iowa will largely trot out the same defense it did against Iowa State. The biggest concern now would be suffering another injury in the secondary before Hankins (hamstring) or Brents (knee) can return.

"It's concerning every week. It was extremely concerning last time we played," Ferentz said. "I looked over today and half our two-deep in the secondary was in street clothes watching practice. But that's football. We're not dwelling on that. We're working with the guys on the field.

"The good thing is it creates opportunity for other players. That's how we've looked at it. ... At some point, we'll get guys back. But it's just been slow."

If there's some good news on the injury front, the guys who have been playing are feeling fresher.

In other words, the idle week helped.

“My body feels way better than it did after Iowa State, I’ll say that,” starting strong safety Geno Stone said. “… My body feels like it’s Week 1 again."

Another encouraging bit of news is that Jackson seems to be trending well in advance of Iowa's Oct. 5 game at Michigan. That was something offensive line coach Tim Polasek mentioned on our Hawk Central radio show last week, too.

"He is one guy that's making ... an active move forward," Ferentz said. "That's encouraging, and that's just the nature of injuries sometimes. You're kind of stagnant or plateaued and all of the sudden, the guy will take a jump."

A new name on Iowa’s depth chart is Jermari Harris at cornerback.

And last week, defensive coordinator Phil Parker mentioned Dane Belton as coming on strong. Both are true freshmen and names worth watching, considering Iowa's decimated secondary. It wouldn't be a shock to see either guy play against Middle Tennessee; neither has seen game action yet and can play up to four games without losing a year of eligibility.

“Dane, he’s been working at the safety and the cash. He’s another good body that can move around,” starting senior cornerback Michael Ojemudia said. “(Jermari) is a long corner, a really smart guy. He’s coming along faster than other guys. I think if his name is called, he’ll do a good job. He understands the defense.”

Parker showed his players film this week of USC using a third-string quarterback to upend then-No. 11 Utah. The lesson: Be ready if your name is called. It's a good lesson already put into place by the Hawkeyes this year.

“When he puts any one of us in the game,” Ojemudia said, “he expects us to execute.”

One injured Hawkeye who has declared himself healthy: Mekhi Sargent.

One of Tuesday’s best player quotes goes to Iowa’s No. 1 running back. Sargent gutted out a 13-carry, 58-yard performance in Ames despite a significant right wrist injury after a practice fall late in game week.

Sargent said he wasn’t worried about the pain or ball security because he was left-hand dominant and got a good pregame tape job on the wrist. Still, he carried the ball with both hands and took several hard hits in a physical game. He never fumbled.

“There are going to be hits and bumps in the road. You’ve just got to go out and play football,” Sargent said. “I didn’t sign up to be a baby or catered to. Just play football. I was confident going into the game.”

Sargent said the wrist feels “normal” now. That’s good news.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-stone-mekhi-sargent-kirk-ferentz/2425014001/

i think most coaches look at press conferences as part of the job; i doubt many actually look forward to it or enjoy it much;)
Unless you're Fleck. He looks like he enjoys hearing himself talk. KF loves his job fine, he just doesn't like standing in front of a room full of reporters..

Here is an update after the Sep 24 Kirk Ferentz press conference & related news reports.

If I am missing anyone, let me know.

During a Game Week:

Here is a Timeline for when 13 dinged up/injured Hawkeyes are hopefully back on the field.

Should be Good to go Saturday, Sep 28 vs. Middle Tennessee State:

OL Tristan Wirfs (knee)

DB Geno Stone (knee); heading into the Sep 28 game, Stone said his body feels like it's week 1 again.

WR Brandon Smith (shoulder/collarbone)

RB Mekhi Sargent (right hand injury suffered in Fri Sep 13 practice); he is left hand dominant, which helps some; on Sep 24, Sargent said the wrist feels “normal” now.

OL Cole Banwart (leg injury); was a 7 game starter in 2018; on Sep 14 Banwart was back in the rotation on the offensive line vs the Clowns; he was the #2 center. On Sep 24 it was reported that Cole is 100% healthy now & would start at Right Guard in place of Schott.

Likely out until Oct 5 Michigan game:

OL Alaric Jackson has a sprained knee. Polasek said AJ had an "outside chance" at playing this week (Sep 28 vs Middle Tennessee), but was still dealing with a bone bruise during the bye week. On Sep 24 KF said that he doesn't think any of the guys who missed the last game on Sep 14 will be back for the Sep 28 game. It was also reported that Alaric is close to being back.

DB Matt Hankins (hamstring) -- Likely will be held out on Sep 28; On Sep 14, did not get off the bus vs Clown U; DJ Johnson started in his place. On Sep 10, Leistikow reported that Kirk Ferentz's answer on Matt Hankins' status for the Cy-Hawk game was mostly cloudy. Then on Wed Sep 11, Ferentz, on his radio show, said that Iowa would play it by ear whether the junior starting cornerback would play at Iowa State. For the Sep 14 Clown game, Matt did not get off the team bus. HOWEVER, on Sep 14 Marc Morehouse reported this: Whomever plays for Hankins (vs Clown U) probably gets Sept. 28 game vs. MTSU. NOTE: DJ Johnson was in for Hankins. On Sep 24 KF said that he doesn't think any of the guys who missed the last game on Sep 14 will be back for the Sep 28 game.

DT Brady Reiff (knee injury) -- On Sep 14 did not get off team bus vs Clown U; Daviyon Nixon started in his place. On Sep 24 KF said that he doesn't think any of the guys who missed the last game on Sep 14 will be back for the Sep 28 game. KF clarified that Reiff is definitely out for the Sep 28 game (despite being listed on the depth chart in error)

FS Sophomore Kaevon Merriweather--a right foot injury; will NOT need surgery. He did not play vs the the Clowns. Jack Koerner got his second straight start as a result. Per Phil Parker, it will be difficult for Merriweather to beat out & get his job back from Koerner. He practiced during the Sep 21 bye week. On Sep 24 KF said that he doesn't think any of the guys who missed the last game on Sep 14 will be back for the Sep 28 game.

DB Julius Brents (knee injury)--on Sep 3 was reported he'd be out a couple of weeks. On Sep 24 KF said that he doesn't think any of the guys who missed the last game on Sep 14 will be back for the Sep 28 game.

Likely Out until early or mid October (ready by Oct 12 Penn State game?)

OL Kyler Schott (injured foot on Sunday Sep 22)-- On Sep 24 KF said Kyler would be out a couple weeks.

DB Riley Moss (knee injury)--on Sep 3 was reported that he was out 4-6 weeks with leg injury.

Joe Evans (hamstring) -- Joe is a redshirt freshman; he joined the team in 2018 as a walk on; he participated in the Rutgers game.

Reactions: dbrocket
Rob Brooks, in the radio pregame show, just went over all the players not playing today.

See previous post.

The list, unfortunately, is accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT