ADVERTISEMENT

Odd travel story from a co-worker

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Heading into the big holiday weekend one of my associates was in Charlotte, and was heading home to Daytona Beach. His first flight Friday morning was cancelled, so he rebooked at the airport with assistance from a ticket agent. He got his boarding pass and went to the assigned gate. They start to board and he gets on the plane, sits through that process, and waits for take off. Nothing unusual at this point, but about 40-45 minutes into the flight he says he thought something was off. The sunlight was coming from the right side of the plane. He thought to himself that was odd, it should be on the left side. He looked out of the plane and thought it was odd that he didn't see water. Normally by now he'd along I-95 and see the ocean off to the left. He turned to the guy next to him and asked him where the flight was going to, and the guy said, "Dayton".
The airport code for Dayton is DAY. The code for Daytona Beach is DAB. The ticket agent had put him on the wrong flight. He never looked at the ticket beyond the seating assignment. When he got to the gate he never looked at the board. He just saw he was at the gate on the ticket, and boarded when called. Now, a bunch of us are getting this from a co-worker here in Iowa who talked to our Florida associate, and we are just peppering him with questions at this point. He never once looked at the ticket/board? He never paid attention to the city being called out?
Weird, right? I have met the guy a few times over the years, and honestly, I was not surprised this happened to him.
CSB

Heading into the big holiday weekend one of my associates was in Charlotte, and was heading home to Daytona Beach. His first flight Friday morning was cancelled, so he rebooked at the airport with assistance from a ticket agent. He got his boarding pass and went to the assigned gate. They start to board and he gets on the plane, sits through that process, and waits for take off. Nothing unusual at this point, but about 40-45 minutes into the flight he says he thought something was off. The sunlight was coming from the right side of the plane. He thought to himself that was odd, it should be on the left side. He looked out of the plane and thought it was odd that he didn't see water. Normally by now he'd along I-95 and see the ocean off to the left. He turned to the guy next to him and asked him where the flight was going to, and the guy said, "Dayton".
The airport code for Dayton is DAY. The code for Daytona Beach is DAB. The ticket agent had put him on the wrong flight. He never looked at the ticket beyond the seating assignment. When he got to the gate he never looked at the board. He just saw he was at the gate on the ticket, and boarded when called. Now, a bunch of us are getting this from a co-worker here in Iowa who talked to our Florida associate, and we are just peppering him with questions at this point. He never once looked at the ticket/board? He never paid attention to the city being called out?
Weird, right? I have met the guy a few times over the years, and honestly, I was not surprised this happened to him.
CSB
I hear Dayton is pretty nice in July.

he notices the direction of the sunlight on a plane but can't figure out airline codes. What a dumbass. haha.
Oh, he missed a lot of chances to correct the error, but, remember, it was the airline employee who got confused over the codes and put him on the wrong flight.

Reactions: TheCainer
I asked if he went to the lovely Air Force museum.
Apparently he did not.
As a person born in Dayton who visits family at least once a year in Dayton, he missed out on the best part of Dayton. He should have made a visit to The Party Source in Cincinnati and stocked up.

CSB
Are you telling us there is one trump supporter who actually has a job?

Oh, he missed a lot of chances to correct the error, but, remember, it was the airline employee who got confused over the codes and put him on the wrong flight.
It took me the longest time to remember that ORD was O'Hare in Chicago. Used to get confused a lot in my ATC training. Don't know why. Just a mental block, I guess. A lot of them were easy while some remained total mysteries.

I could write book about all the screw ups I’ve experienced at Charlotte Airport and I’ve only been there once. What a shit show.
Honestly the same way. If I never connect through Charlotte again that’s fine with me. I have only had a couple bad air travel stories in the past few years….and they have both been that airport…

Family member is a corporate pilot and the executives can basically ask him to fly about anywhere on short notice. He lands the plane in Charlotte and the exec gets off. 5 minutes later the execs back on the plane and says I needed to go to Charlottesville. Pilot did everything correctly. Guy told him the wrong place.

Family member is a corporate pilot and the executives can basically ask him to fly about anywhere on short notice. He lands the plane in Charlotte and the exec gets off. 5 minutes later the execs back on the plane and says I needed to go to Charlottesville. Pilot did everything correctly. Guy told him the wrong place.
OMG. This is sooo relatable.

CSB
Witnessed this one time in DAY in a March -spring break snowstorm with a couple French 20 yr olds with sunglasses and puffy vests arrive thinking they were in DAB. They actually made it outside before running back inside asking for help. Seeing the Eurotrash run for help got a few chuckles out the other passengers. No “pooo-say” for those frogs!

Saw another more innocent mixup landing in Charleston, SC with some folks realizing they were not in Charleston, WV.

As a person born in Dayton who visits family at least once a year in Dayton, he missed out on the best part of Dayton. He should have made a visit to The Party Source in Cincinnati and stocked up.

mark-cuban-shark-tank.gif

CSB
Arrived at the gate at last minute or already boarding, ear buds in after boarding, a couple dozen drinks... I'm surprised he figured out the sun issue.

we ended up at Love Field in Dallas rather than DFW once and I thought that was bad. At least we were in the correct city. It made catching our connecting flight rather interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT