ADVERTISEMENT

Off season query: If you could add one weight class and/or take out another, what would it/they be?

Feb 25, 2008
Would you guys want to get rid of a middle weight and add a heavier weight?

Would you just add another weight and go to 11 classes?

Or is everything fine as is, and you wouldn't change a thing?

I wouldn’t add/subtract. I would shift up just slightly.
125 +0
133 +0
141 +0
150 +1
160 +3
170 +5
180 +6
190 +6
205 +8
285 +0

Kids would generally be in the same slot and I think people would be healthier not cutting as much weight.

Not even sold that it has to be this exactly. I think 197 could be bumped up to 205 like I mentioned and then somehow fill in the gaps below it.

I wouldn’t add/subtract. I would shift up just slightly.
125 +0
133 +0
141 +0
150 +1
160 +3
170 +5
180 +6
190 +6
205 +8
285 +0

Kids would generally be in the same slot and I think people would be healthier not cutting as much weight.

Not even sold that it has to be this exactly. I think 197 could be bumped up to 205 like I mentioned and then somehow fill in the gaps below it.
Yeah in this day and age, especially when you consider in most other sports anything under 200 lbs to be on the small side (for football especially), it doesn't make a ton of sense that there's one weight class for EVERYTHING over 197 lbs............................

Add either 215 or 220… Leave it at 11 weight classes… And then the dual tiebreaker is most matches won.
Was going to say exactly this. The tiebreaker is so simple with an odd number of bouts: Score, then # of matches won.

Reactions: ping72
A 220 class makes a ton of sense BUT watching the bigger guys wrestle isn't as fun, and as a fan, that's really all I care about.

Edit to add what I would propose if a weight class was added.

Last edited:
Now? 220 haha.

Seriously, we have an Olympic wt that almost lines up with it. The tweeners can wrestle their natural weight instead of being sucked down or having to go HWY.
I brought this up on here years ago and people shot it down for reasons like those sized athletes usually play football

no different than HWy as far as football really….. there would be some serious athletes in a 215 class

I brought this up on here years ago and people shot it down for reasons like those sized athletes usually play football

no different than HWy as far as football really….. there would be some serious athletes in a 215 class

I was probably one of those people but now that we have more talent, I am for it ;)Plus, Ping brought up a good point here with the tiebreaker that I was too dumb to see all these years. But yea, I do think elite wrestlers would rethink their choice if it was having to decide to wrestle at a B1G school or play ball for Backwater U.

I was probably one of those people but now that we have more talent, I am for it ;)Plus, Ping brought up a good point here with the tiebreaker that I was too dumb to see all these years. But yea, I do think elite wrestlers would rethink their choice if it was having to decide to wrestle at a B1G school or play ball for Backwater U.
Guys that size and that athletic….. they might want to move the scorer’s table back a little 😂

If anything it only opens more doors for kids to compete. I can't see in 2022, there being an issue with finding guys to compete at a 210-220 weight class.

If anything, that might end up being one of the best weight classes because of what you said, in that it'll bring in a lot of good athletes.

The only people I see being opposed to this are the curmudgeons who are set in their ways and only see one type of athlete fit for wrestling, except for the fat guys at heavyweight...............

Reactions: natchrlman
If anything it only opens more doors for kids to compete. I can't see in 2022, there being an issue with finding guys to compete at a 210-220 weight class.

If anything, that might end up being one of the best weight classes because of what you said, in that it'll bring in a lot of good athletes.

The only people I see being opposed to this are the curmudgeons who are set in their ways and only see one type of athlete fit for wrestling, except for the fat guys at heavyweight...............
Wrestling fans being curmudgeons?!

I like 11 weight classes. Then in cases of a tie you can go by matches won.

I've always said it is beyond remarkable that both in HS and in College the knuckleheads in charge decided to go with an even number of weight classes.

As far as adding a weight class, it is absurd to add an upper weight. The best HS wrestlers are in the middle weights. It's painful to watch the big kids wrestle because so few of them have any talent, and of those who do a big portion of them will be playing football in college and unavailable for wrestling.

It's not as if all of a sudden some big, talented kids are going to appear out of thin air. Perhaps redistribute 174 and above (175, 188, 205, 285?), but don't add a weight class where there is less talent.

First, I would bump 125 to 128; because it's hard to imagine there are any top 125 pounds who aren't sucking serious weight. Then add a weight class in the middle and distribute accordingly.

Last edited:

But there are so many more good 140 to 150 pounds wrestlers in high school than 200 pounders. It makes no sense to add a weight class where there are few good wrestlers instead of where there are a TON of good wrestlers.

For every "elite" wrestler at 210 pounds who might choose wrestling instead of football, there are ten even better wrestlers who don't wrestle D1 at all because there are too many guys better than them. I guarantee every year there are a ton of DIII and non-wrestlers who are, pound for pound, better than any of our 197 AA's. The numbers make it impossible to be otherwise.

I've always said it is beyond remarkable that both in HS and in College the knuckleheads in charge decided to go with an even number of weight classes.

As far as adding a weight class, it is absurd to add an upper weight. The best HS wrestlers are in the middle weights. It's painful to watch the big kids wrestle because so few of them have any talent, and of those who do a big portion of them will be playing football in college and unavailable for wrestling.

It's not as if all of a sudden some big, talented kids are going to appear out of thin air. Perhaps redistribute 174 and above (175, 188, 205, 285?), but don't add a weight class where there is less talent.

First, I would bump 125 to 128; because it's hard to imagine there are any top 125 pounds who aren't sucking serious weight. Then add a weight class in the middle and distribute accordingly.
Field of Dreams 30 day movie challenge GIF

But haven’t you heard? There’s very rarely a “talented” college wrestler who is too small for 125 so we should make an entire weight class even smaller than the most forfeited weight class to accommodate!

I get that I’m being faux outrage guy here. I’m a actually encouraged that only one person advocated for this. And I agree with you about middleweights. Especially in HS.

Not sure if this officially counts as a "weight class?" but I would add the old washed up wanna be expedition /challenge class.

Maybe a 1 minute, 30 second, 30 second 3 period match. Could be some good entertainment, alone with some great grudge matches to settle some stuff on here!!!

Just to clarify. It would not count as part of team score unless both coaches agree. The old washed up fellas would have to sign a waver incase something happens. If tied at end of three, overtime is who can guzzle a beer the fastest!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: el dub
Go to any college open and see what brackets have the most people. 149-165 are ussually the largest brackets. 197-285 are ussually the smallest. To add another weightclass in there would be silly.

Reactions: artradley

The greatest 125 doesn’t suck serious weight. He walks around about 130

Bring back U N L
Undefeated Taylor of Iowa state was just a smidge over 400 Pounds... Dont the Fat guys deserve a shot??;)

636456598959657341-2017-11.07.17-chris-taylor-01.jpg

Not sure if this officially counts as a "weight class?" but I would add the old washed up wanna be expedition /challenge class.

Maybe a 1 minute, 30 second, 30 second 3 period match. Could be some good entertainment, alone with some great grudge matches to settle some stuff on here!!!

Just to clarify. It would not count as part of team score unless both coaches agree. The old washed up fellas would have to sign a waver incase something happens. If tied at end of three, overtime is who can guzzle a beer the fastest!

I like the idea in HS of having mixed team events, with perhaps eleven boys’ and five girls’ matches. I think it would generate a lot of interest.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
I like the idea in HS of having mixed team events, with perhaps eleven boys’ and five girls’ matches. I think it would generate a lot of interest.
I think the HAWKS should do something similar with the new lady HAWKS at home meets that aren't the biggest draws, and/or have the ladies wrestle before at big matches. Maybe have a couple of ladies matches at 1/2 time for example. See what kind of reaction you get from the fans?

Maybe even offer 1/2 price carver cones at the ladies meet that takes place before a big IOWA home dual. See how many fans it draws, because honestly, I have no idea? I just feel that they have a great deal of momentum right now with what appears to be a dominate team they are building. A new facility coming, a great mens recruiting class.....

Keep it going!!!!

Reactions: artradley
I think the HAWKS should do something similar with the new lady HAWKS at home meets that aren't the biggest draws, and/or have the ladies wrestle before at big matches. Maybe have a couple of ladies matches at 1/2 time for example. See what kind of reaction you get from the fans?

Maybe even offer 1/2 price carver cones at the ladies meet that takes place before a big IOWA home dual. See how many fans it draws, because honestly, I have no idea? I just feel that they have a great deal of momentum right now with what appears to be a dominate team they are building. A new facility coming, a great mens recruiting class.....

Keep it going!!!!
A couple of ladies matches at half time? Ain’t you generous. Lol j/k

Your other deals are pretty good, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT