ADVERTISEMENT

Offense / defense depth chart

My guess is by Game 3 Joe Labas will be starting
If only you were right. But unless Petras and Padilla have season-ending injuries, it's all but impossible to believe KF would have an "ah-ha" moment for the first time in 23 years.

In 2015, MSU had a veteran starting QB returning, but Dantonio also had a talented sophomore QB on the roster. So Dantonio announced that a starter would be determined after the first three games, which would see both QBs start at least one game. The result: sophomore Connor Cook won the job, MSU went on to win the East, edged Iowa in the BIG title game, and advanced to the CFP. I was never a big fan of Dantonio at all, but he did the right thing in choosing a QB--something KF has never done--and the results speak for themselves.

If only you were right. But unless Petras and Padilla have season-ending injuries, it's all but impossible to believe KF would have an "ah-ha" moment for the first time in 23 years.

In 2015, MSU had a veteran starting QB returning, but Dantonio also had a talented sophomore QB on the roster. So Dantonio announced that a starter would be determined after the first three games, which would see both QBs start at least one game. The result: sophomore Connor Cook won the job, MSU went on to win the East, edged Iowa in the BIG title game, and advanced to the CFP. I was never a big fan of Dantonio at all, but he did the right thing in choosing a QB--something KF has never done--and the results speak for themselves.
Kind of like when Stanzi and Christensen played the first 3 games to figure out who they would choose? Yeah, KF has never done that. Give me a break

While I agree that the schedule is more difficult this year, people suggesting that they can't win 7-8 games because the defense and special teams are going to have to carry a horrible offense are forgetting that defense and more recently special teams have been carrying this team for many years including the last year when Iowa had one of the worst offenses in the country and still won 10 games. It's pretty much baked in the cake every year that Iowa will have an excellent defense, good special teams, a weak offense and win at least 7-8 games. I expect this year to be no different.

Last edited:
While I agree that the schedule is more difficult this year, people suggesting that they can't win 7-8 games because the defense and special teams are going to have to carry a horrible offense are forgetting that defense and more recently special teams have been carrying this team for many years including the last year when Iowa had one of the worst offenses in the country and still won 11 games. It's pretty much baked in the cake every year that Iowa will have an excellent defense, good special teams, a weak offense and win at least 7-8 games. I expect this year to be no different.
Iowa won 11 games? Did a loss get overturned in the offseason?

While I agree that ichawk24's early reply was needlessly antagonistic - the premise that Iowa will likely still do (well) better than 5-4 is not wrong.

If you apply your football IQ to discern why Iowa was dominated in some of those games ... the most apt description is that we were "beat in the trenches." To ANYONE who is learning towards Iowa having a middling '22 campaign ... largely based on the precedent on what they saw last season AND based on Iowa's "harder schedule" ... I think those folks are forgetting that Iowa players are watching that tape too.

Do you-all know the pride that those young men have? Do you-all comprehend the sting that those young men feel for having gotten beaten in the trenches ... something that RARELY happens to Iowa squads? Those same young men have a year more of preparation under their belts ... and I venture to guess that they're more than a little motivated (by the need for redemption).

No doubt ... OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Purdue will all be fine teams ... hell, Minnesota may not be too bad either. However, to speculate that we'd lose to all but Minnesota seems closer to a worst-case scenario (barring having all the wheels fall off) - than a reasonable null hypothesis.

To me, the most reasonable null hypothesis would be a 6-3 conference record. Iowa is usually good for an upset (to me, that means beating either Michigan or Wisconsin) ... we'll likely lose to OSU (just as many suspect) ... and I'd venture to guess that we split our match-ups between Purdue and Minnesota. That doesn't mean that other teams won't be plenty challenging ... Illinois and Nebraska will probably BOTH be plenty plucky. Northwestern will be tough once they settle down to a new equilibrium on D ... however, I don't YET see that happening this year.

Why is 6-3 a reasonable null hypothesis?

The DL last year was, overall, quite green ... and our group of corners got decimated by injuries through the latter half of the season. All the same - would you disagree that our D still had plenty to be proud about?

As for the O ... it would be an understatement to say that we had issues. However, a lot of those issues seem linked to youth/inexperience at a number of positions ... especially OL and WR. Furthermore, we're a squad that is typically quite reliant on our TEs to help us create mismatches on O. Lachey was young last year AND LaPorta was continuing to round out his game. With Lachey having more experience and with the addition of Stilianos - the TE position might be a "better" position for us in '22.

The Hawks COULD do worse than 6-3 ... but they ALSO could do better than 6-3. In my estimation, by my choice of null hypothesis ... I clearly believe that deviations in EITHER direction are essentially equally likely.

With a 7-2 mark (or better) ... I think that the Hawks could win the West (again).
You can have all the pride in the world and watch tape 24/7
While I agree that the schedule is more difficult this year, people suggesting that they can't win 7-8 games because the defense and special teams are going to have to carry a horrible offense are forgetting that defense and more recently special teams have been carrying this team for many years including the last year when Iowa had one of the worst offenses in the country and still won 11 games. It's pretty much baked in the cake every year that Iowa will have an excellent defense, good special teams, a weak offense and win at least 7-8 games. I expect this year to be no different.
we only won 10 games last year

Lol Connor cook was a 3 year starter and a senior in 2015. He also started every game but 1 because of a mid year injury. You amaze me with every post.

Last edited:
Reactions: not_mantiteo
Lol Connor cook was a 3 year starter and a senior in 2015. You amaze me with every post.

You forgot to mention that during that timeframe Dantonio was able to recruit several KNOWN rapists and sexual assault predators to jeopardize the safety of MSU coeds...that...and he made some good personnel decisions regarding QBs.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
You forgot to mention that during that timeframe Dantonio was able to recruit several KNOWN rapists and sexual assault predators to jeopardize the safety of MSU coeds...that...and he made some good personnel decisions regarding QBs.
that entire stone throwing and glass house comes to mind.

How many has KF recruited?
Well right off the top of the head, Cedric Everson comes to mind. Regardless of which, it isn't like Iowa hasn't had any type of controversy associated with the program, so there is really no need to shit on another program just for kicks.

It’s all about staying on schedule and I believe the RBs are better this year. I got sick of TG taking losses as much as he did. Iowa needs backs that hit the hole whether it’s there or not and fall forward for a gain. I think the run game will be improved (although the explosive potential may be less).

you pound out yards on the ground to keep the clock moving, and by the 4th quarter you’ve got the advantage. This was KF’s formula for years. Play action passes, great D, solid ST.
While TG did too much dancing it's pretty difficult to fault him when it seemed like there were 2 or 3 defenders in the backfield almost every time they called an outside zone or stretch play. It was rarely blocked effectively, but when it was Tyler broke some very long runs.

Everson wasn't a "KNOWN rapist" when he was recruited. He did what he did on campus, and was immediately gone from the program. That is very different than a lot of places that defend defend defend the player until they get back onto the field.

Dantonio played a guy against Iowa after getting out of jail two days before the game. WTF

Well right off the top of the head, Cedric Everson comes to mind. Regardless of which, it isn't like Iowa hasn't had any type of controversy associated with the program, so there is really no need to shit on another program just for kicks.
Which is the one player I can remember too...happened 11 or 12 years ago. I'm pretty sure this would be one of those false equivalency situations.

How much credit do you give KF for the performance of the defense and special teams and how much blame do you give KF for the lack of an offens
1. None. Capt. Kirk is propped up by Phil (& LeVar).
2. Complete. Even Junior might modernize if left to his own devices.
3. Done singling out players on general principles but MOST DEFINITELY will declare our offensive Offensive scheme to be Anathema.
4. Kirk must ride off into the sunset in favor of LeVar as HC.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Which is the one player I can remember too...happened 11 or 12 years ago. I'm pretty sure this would be one of those false equivalency situations.
wasn't trying to point out any form of equivalency, just stating there is no reason to shit on another program when Iowa hasn't exactly been great recently in the eye of public opinion, but hey whatever helps you sleep at night.

Reactions: Iron Doc
Everson wasn't a "KNOWN rapist" when he was recruited. He did what he did on campus, and was immediately gone from the program. That is very different than a lot of places that defend defend defend the player until they get back onto the field.

Dantonio played a guy against Iowa after getting out of jail two days before the game. WTF
I'll leave it after this, the comment was about not derailing threads a talking shit about other programs, but I see we are likely headed toward three pages of bullshit.

1. None. Capt. Kirk is propped up by Phil (& LeVar).
2. Complete. Even Junior might modernize if left to his own devices.
3. Done singling out players on general principles but MOST DEFINITELY will declare our offensive Offensive scheme to be Anathema.
4. Kirk must ride off into the sunset in favor of LeVar as HC.
So Kirk gets no credit for Phil and Levar? 10-2. Are we Nebraska Fuskers now. We want a new coach every 3 years and fight for 6-6 to go to the Pikachu bowl.

Reactions: F5n5
While TG did too much dancing it's pretty difficult to fault him when it seemed like there were 2 or 3 defenders in the backfield almost every time they called an outside zone or stretch play. It was rarely blocked effectively, but when it was Tyler broke some very long runs.
But are you one that then faults Petras when he is under said pressure?

Reactions: F5n5
Yeah, Kirk is an extremely lucky coach who just happens to stumble upon great assistants who make the program successful.

His life story is kind of like Forrest Gump. He is just standing there chewing gum while all these other guys do all the work.

/s

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
Yeah, Kirk is an extremely lucky coach who just happens to stumble upon great assistants who make the program successful.

His life story is kind of like Forrest Gump. He is just standing there chewing gum while all these other guys do all the work.

/s
Even casual observers can see that Phil & Levar carry the team.
Our anemic offense might struggle with Kirksville State or Westmar on schematic grounds.
We. Run. KIRK'S. offensive. Offense.

Reactions: RomanHawk
We run Kirk's offense, defense, AND special teams. To the tune of a .582 conference winning ptg. .608 after his first season.

You're exactly the kind of fan who is ****ing blind and ****ing stupid.

Goodbye.
Actually neither option applies.
Back to FB: What is/has held us back is the antiquated, predictable offense.
No one would run the current scheme other than Capt. Kirk.
So yes, he IS holding us back.

Last edited:
Reactions: RomanHawk
f only you were right. But unless Petras and Padilla have season-ending injuries, it's all but impossible to believe KF would have an "ah-ha" moment for the first time in 23 years.

Well he also benched Scott Mullen for true freshman Beutjer based on play vs. potential. Benched Rudock and drove him out of the program for CJ, although Jake had much better season in really every area of play than CJ. KF went with the long term best Of course the Stanzi v Chandler 2 game competition mentioned above.

There was no reason to change in any other year. Please don't say Brad Banks. Even BB said he wasn't ready to start.

This is one of those canards that just ignores reality for the sake of insulting the coaches. Hell, they benched Chandler for Ricky's potential cuz Ricky didn't play all that well the first two games. KF has picked the right QB in every season. The only real season of competition was Jake v CJ.

Well he also benched Scott Mullen for true freshman Beutjer based on play vs. potential. Benched Rudock and drove him out of the program for CJ, although Jake had much better season in really every area of play than CJ. KF went with the long term best Of course the Stanzi v Chandler 2 game competition mentioned above.

There was no reason to change in any other year. Please don't say Brad Banks. Even BB said he wasn't ready to start.

This is one of those canards that just ignores reality for the sake of insulting the coaches. Hell, they benched Chandler for Ricky's potential cuz Ricky didn't play all that well the first two games. KF has picked the right QB in every season. The only real season of competition was Jake v CJ.
Minor nit, stanzi and Chandler never overlapped. I know you meant Jake the snake.

I am thinking this kid is going to see the field at some point this year. Also must suck for UC coaches to see that kid on their field.

Doesn't msu have a quota for these type of athletes??

Myslinski has a lot of ground to make up I believe it will be Jones at center.

Elsbury will be one of the guards, imo. Talented big guy that is ready.

We all tend to dismiss Britt, Dejong and Plumb. They all have some experience but need massive improvements. I've read reports that Dejong and Britt have taken big steps forward.
Britt needs to stay healthy.

Reactions: David1979
ADVERTISEMENT