ADVERTISEMENT

Offense heating up; decision for KF

percyland

HR MVP
Apr 16, 2011
The offense is still ranked near the bottom in the entire country but if the offense continues its current momentum will it be enough for KF to justify to himself that he should keep Brian? For once this team is somewhat fun to watch and the schedule is getting easier and may qualify for a bowl game. Happy to get the momentum but I'm afraid this will give KF just enough reason to keep BF at OC.

I think if they win out and go to a bowl game we might hear the why would I fire my offensive coordinator we just won 8 games.
And there would be some truth to that but there is a reason having your son work for you is a bad idea, for both parties.

Reactions: pondscum
I think everyone will need to evaluate the entire season when the year is over. Multiple things can be true:
  • The offense got out to a historically bad start and the causes for that start were multiple - scheme, stubbornness, coaching, injuries, defections, execution
  • Play improved as guys came back from injury and the season progressed
I’m interested in Iowa winning football games. I think offensive changes need to happen and I really do think BF will move on after the season. I think everyone on every side of this can look at what’s going on and see that whether or not you blame him for this mess, he’s definitely in a no-win situation at this point. I assume he wants to have a career as a football coach and eventually be a head coach and staying here will not help him reach those goals.

There’s stuff to work with here. The OL will have to continue to develop and the QB play absolutely has to improve.

Iowa has the best coaches to turn things around... and things are turning around.
Brain Ferentz is a football genius... and he's not going anywhere.
perhaps its time for you to root for another team?
You’re trying too hard

The offense is still ranked near the bottom in the entire country but if the offense continues its current momentum will it be enough for KF to justify to himself that he should keep Brian? For once this team is somewhat fun to watch and the schedule is getting easier and may qualify for a bowl game. Happy to get the momentum but I'm afraid this will give KF just enough reason to keep BF at OC.

"Heating up"? 33 pts on the worst P5 defense and 23 yesterday against Purdue is "heating up?" Possibly thawing out like the ground here in Late Feb/early March.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Change is necessary for the offense to improve statistically. Take the game yesterday against Purdue. Compare the 2nd half to the 1st. Other than the 75 yd TD run where is the offense production in the last half? Brian went to the Turtle Offense - hiding in its shell for over 28 minutes of the 2nd half. Purdue had almost 6 more minutes of time of possession for the game. If you look critically there was plenty to be critical about. Some of it the play calling and some of it player errors. Petras had a good game for him, but that isn't good enough against good teams. I want Iowa to win out because I want to support to team, but there are offensive problems that did not get addressed going into the season and those same problems will remain unless there are some changes, coaching and otherwise.

I’ll get some grief for saying this but Brian does know considerably more about football than a bunch of message board geniuses and that’s not even debatable

question his play calling if you want but he can’t call anything that will work if the line can’t block and Petras has actually looked serviceable since he’s had time to set his feet….. I’d even argue he’s made some really good throws

the only thing I don’t understand is why that pisses off some of our “fans” ….. personally if we finish the year strong and we get some line help I’m all for Brian getting a chance to prove he can coach…… guys a born and bred Hawkeye man…..I’d be thrilled if he succeeds

I’m confident it’s a jimmy and joes issue not x’s and o’s and we have the next coming of Tristin Wirfs coming next year and I believe another lineman who’s a 4 star

be nice to find a starting quality offensive tackle in the portal too….. maybe a WR but we have talented young receivers if we can keep them healthy……. I’ll hang up and listen to your abuse now 😎

It was the lines fault- not Brian’s

I'm not sure what KF will do but past stubborness has shown it wouldn't be a shock if he kept his son. Unfortunately it would most likely tarnish his reputation. With that style of offense the ceiling is so low that it will hold back most of his teams as we have seen.

Reactions: shudaddy
I’m confident it’s a jimmy and joes issue not x’s and o’s and we have the next coming of Tristin Wirfs coming next year and I believe another lineman who’s a 4 star

The 21 class had three four star and one highly ranked three star lineman and the results have not been great.
I'm sort of with you but they don't come all Big Ten, they need coaching and a scheme that works.

O’connel has Iowa induced ptsd and that will carry over to Illinois, round 2. Illinois gonna be ready to inflict more pain on the Purdue wonder offense.

This is why I could not fully enjoy yesterday's success. I want Brian to **** up so bad Kirk has no choice but to make a change.

You’re trying too hard
Sad thing is this guy isn’t trolling. He’s the biggest BF fan out there. Shocked he didn’t post his patent line of Iowa had 2nd highest scoring offense in the conf in 20’. However he always ignores every other season like last year. Even after yesterday Iowa is bottom 10 in the nation and faces 2 good Defenses next 2 weeks.

I agree with that. But I think KF might see it differently and see it as a reason to keep his son. He can act like there is no nepotism but it is glaringly obvious.
Any of you that even remotely think KF is going to push his son out of the OC role, even if nothing improved all year, are totally delusional. Far better a chance BF tries getting out on his own than his Dad ever pushing him out.

The 21 class had three four star and one highly ranked three star lineman and the results have not been great.
I'm sort of with you but they don't come all Big Ten, they need coaching and a scheme that works.
To be fair they are true sophomores who should have redshirted but were thrown to the wolves due to poor recruiting, attrition, and injuries. Also, CC is not only out of position, but playing injured.

I believe the line will be much better next year and in 24; they are already showing great improvement every week.

Reactions: natchrlman
How much would you like to wager? Name your number, big mouth.
I’m not wagering an imaginary figure like yourself whose just seeking attention . No decision has been made and the fact you are trying so hard to try now wagering on it shows how much attention you strive for.

I’ll get some grief for saying this but Brian does know considerably more about football than a bunch of message board geniuses and that’s not even debatable

question his play calling if you want but he can’t call anything that will work if the line can’t block and Petras has actually looked serviceable since he’s had time to set his feet….. I’d even argue he’s made some really good throws

the only thing I don’t understand is why that pisses off some of our “fans” ….. personally if we finish the year strong and we get some line help I’m all for Brian getting a chance to prove he can coach…… guys a born and bred Hawkeye man…..I’d be thrilled if he succeeds

be nice to find a starting quality offensive tackle in the portal too….. maybe a WR but we have talented young receivers if we can keep them healthy……. I’ll hang up and listen to your abuse now 😎
I think Brian has had more than enough time to "prove he can coach.". Good grief.

Other than a few head scratching play calls now and again (fullback handoff or end arounds to non-speedy WRs), I think Brian does pretty well using the tools he’s got. I say that with full disclosure that I’ve been quite critical of the offense - but more so critical about QB play and expectations for a third year starting QB. With a few healthy offensive threats, an OL that is able to gel, and a QB that can simply be average, I think BF does a decent job of calling a game. He’s had to feel quite hopeless with a QB that often over or under throws two yard out routes! That said, the QB room that is devoid of talent is also his responsibility so that has to be priority #1.

Good post. I don't think we need the portal for another tackle next year. The very big boy from SE Polk is probably taking the starting right tackle spot. Have another 4* tackle also in the recruiting class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT