ADVERTISEMENT

Offense heating up; decision for KF

I think the Iowa model to compete with OSU and CFP contenders is to:

1. They have to dominate the LOS with the o line. They need to be bullies again.
2. While TE's have been really good and it looks like RB recruiting is in good shape, there needs to be more talent with the WR position.
3. They are going to have to get some mobility at the QB position. The non-mobile QB just allows everything to be so much easier for the defenses, they can drop another man in coverage as well as pin their ears back and not have to worry about over-rushing the gaps and edges.

But all of it can be accomplished in this scheme. Iowa will never win any stat competition, they just don't play that way, but if you had the 2002 o line with a healthy Tate/CJ along with DJK/McNutt/Tevaun Smith/Mo Brown/CJ Jones, Kittle/Hock/LaPorta/Moeaki and a Greene type RB (KJ looks great), I would bet that even within the same exact scheme as we have we would compete with anyone. And with the same OC. And honestly I don't think it is that far-fetched.
Good post - I agree.

This is exactly why I put the onus on BF and not KF.

What is wrong with the basic scheme the Hawks play? We've seen them go 5 wide, run reverses, fullback/no fullback, double TE, no TE. I don't think there are limitations in the scheme.

Now, if BF had his eye on a mobile QB that he thought the Hawks could get and KF said "No". That would be a limitation imposed by KF. Otherwise, where are the "handcuffs" everyone refers to? BF calls the plays, he can change play design, etc.

A mobile QB is essential in FB, college and pro IMO.

KF is responsible for hiring and retaining BF. BF is responsible for the offense.

Good post - I agree.

What is wrong with the basic scheme the Hawks play? We've seen them go 5 wide, run reverses, fullback/no fullback, double TE, no TE. I don't think there are limitations in the scheme.

Now, if BF had his eye on a mobile QB that he thought the Hawks could get and KF said "No". That would be a limitation imposed by KF. Otherwise, where are the "handcuffs" everyone refers to? BF calls the plays, he can change play design, etc.

KF is responsible for hiring and retaining BF. BF is responsible for the offense.
Agree.

There’s a LOT one can do within the “parameters” laid out by KF to aid in creating offense. I highly doubt Kirk sits there and is like, “We’re only going to pass deep against Nevada, Brian. And I don’t think we should run motion until Purdue.”

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Good post - I agree.

You guys make some good points. The good offenses I can remember under KF, it seemed those years we had more playmakers than usual. The 2002 team had that great line, Banks at QB, Lewis/Russell in the backfield, and good WR/TE to throw to (Clark, Jones, Brown, Solomon, etc.). 2008, Shonn Greene. Etc.

I don't understand why the staff can't (or won't) find another QB similar to Banks that can really hurt the opponent with his feet. It adds an entirely extra dimension and threat to your offense. I mean, we pretty much saw the difference in the offense in 2003. A lot of the same players were back from the year before, but Chandler at QB instead, and the offense dropped from Top 10-20 to 70 or 80 if memory serves.

CJB is about the closest I've seen to Banks, since. And if I recall, KF basically was strong-armed into finally inserting him as our starting QB. I forget the circumstances.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
You guys make some good points. The good offenses I can remember under KF, it seemed those years we had more playmakers than usual. The 2002 team had that great line, Banks at QB, Lewis/Russell in the backfield, and good WR/TE to throw to (Clark, Jones, Brown, Solomon, etc.). 2008, Shonn Greene. Etc.

I don't understand why the staff can't (or won't) find another QB similar to Banks that can really hurt the opponent with his feet. It adds an entirely extra dimension and threat to your offense. I mean, we pretty much saw the difference in the offense in 2003. A lot of the same players were back from the year before, but Chandler at QB instead, and the offense dropped from Top 10-20 to 70 or 80 if memory serves.

CJB is about the closest I've seen to Banks, since. And if I recall, KF basically was strong-armed into finally inserting him as our starting QB. I forget the circumstances.
Agreed. To me, having a QB that is a threat with his feet is like adding another player to the offense. When a QB can run, it's 11 v 11 instead of 10 v 11.

Maybe they can't land a good one, IDK. But it sure seems like LOTS of team without the success and tradition of Iowa can land talented mobile QB's,

🤷‍♀️

Reactions: chuck285
I get it, but it is likely that any other OC handed what he was handed and with players performing the way they were would experience the same results.

I don't agree. The players he has available are limited, but not 125 out of 131 limited. The offense being run is a bigger problem than the players.

And it is ultimately the OC's responsibility to bring in players he needs and to develop.

This isn't even a difficult call. Kirk should never have hired his son if he wasn't also prepared to let him go if he failed. He has failed.

I understand it is unpleasant, but do your job, Kirk.

I don't agree. The players he has available are limited, but not 125 out of 131 limited. The offense being run is a bigger problem than the players.

And it is ultimately the OC's responsibility to bring in players he needs and to develop.

This isn't even a difficult call. Kirk should never have hired his son if he wasn't also prepared to let him go if he failed. He has failed.

We can agree to disagree. I think the offense is exactly what everyone has been clamoring for, but since it isn't working everyone thinks it is terrible. I have been around this site long enough that I remember all the excitement followed by all the complaints about the last two coordinators. Except for this year, the only thing limiting the offense has been a mobile QB and offensive philosophy and that starts at the top..

• Haha
Reactions: not_mantiteo

You have to keep in mind that in Iowa's pro-style offensive scheme, it is really a high-risk, high-reward scheme. The high-reward part is that a pro-style offense is designed to be able to counter anything that a defense does. The high-risk part is that it takes everyone on the team to be on the same page to take full advantage and play at a high level and when there are new players, injuries it can look really bad. If you want an example of that is 2021 Tampa Bay offense vs. 2022 Tampa Bay offense.

The dual-threat QB is not a paradigm shift or a different scheme. That running talent can be utilized in any scheme and just gives the offense a much larger room for error. The mobility can make up for some o line breakdowns, can free things up on the back end of the defense because there always has to be a spy, slow down a pass rush, etc. KF is not against a mobile QB, he just doesn't make it an absolute. It can be argued that he should, but know he is not against it.

As far as hiring BF, I still defend that because his experience was in a system that they wanted to adapt here at Iowa. And it still can be. If you add better o-line play, a true dual-threat QB and a playmaker or 2, then you basically have Michigan's offense and nobody is bitching about them.

I’ll get some grief for saying this but Brian does know considerably more about football than a bunch of message board geniuses and that’s not even debatable

question his play calling if you want but he can’t call anything that will work if the line can’t block and Petras has actually looked serviceable since he’s had time to set his feet….. I’d even argue he’s made some really good throws

the only thing I don’t understand is why that pisses off some of our “fans” ….. personally if we finish the year strong and we get some line help I’m all for Brian getting a chance to prove he can coach…… guys a born and bred Hawkeye man…..I’d be thrilled if he succeeds

I’m confident it’s a jimmy and joes issue not x’s and o’s and we have the next coming of Tristin Wirfs coming next year and I believe another lineman who’s a 4 star

be nice to find a starting quality offensive tackle in the portal too….. maybe a WR but we have talented young receivers if we can keep them healthy……. I’ll hang up and listen to your abuse now 😎
It's ALWAYS more complex than that. The scheme has to change to elevate the winning percentage and reduce dependence on the D.
ALL parts need to improve and KF honestly has no real reason to not open up the offense and see what he can get done. He's rich built a legacy and doesn't have a whole lot left to prove other than having a consistent great team.

Reactions: natchrlman
Until we change our offense we will be a limited team. What 5 star running QB will sign with Iowa knowing his skills will never be utilized. And then we won't get a WR any higher than a 3 start (C J ). We will be a decent team but not a great team until we CHANGE......With all you Iowa fans someone must have a son or relative that is a QB and can run....

NW and Purdue are not Wisconsin or Minnesota. Both WI and MN will load the box to stop the run. My fear is the offensive brain trust will think they have 'figured something out' and revert to pounding the ball into a stacked line. I will be surprised if Iowa scores a TD against MN or WI.

NW and Purdue are not Wisconsin or Minnesota. Both WI and MN will load the box to stop the run. My fear is the offensive brain trust will think they have 'figured something out' and revert to pounding the ball into a stacked line. I will be surprised if Iowa scores a TD against MN or WI.
Good grief. You're kidding, right?

The offense is still ranked near the bottom in the entire country but if the offense continues its current momentum will it be enough for KF to justify to himself that he should keep Brian? For once this team is somewhat fun to watch and the schedule is getting easier and may qualify for a bowl game. Happy to get the momentum but I'm afraid this will give KF just enough reason to keep BF at OC.
I hope all understand that with the many issues the offense had throughout the non conference the rating of 131 in yards per game would need nearly every game the rest of the season to even get close to the 100th position in yards per game.

I hope all understand that with the many issues the offense had throughout the non conference the rating of 131 in yards per game would need nearly every game the rest of the season to even get close to the 100th position in yards per game.
At this point.....do you think it really matters, Eddie?

Hawks just need to keep improving, and keep winning.

Brian was most successful here as OL coach/run game coordinator. But, for all the angst over GD, he actually COMMITTED to running the ball and having that identity. They must’ve worked well together, because our rushing YPG & YPC from 2013-2016 were really good.

When Brian took over as OC, the running game immediately suffered. Maybe it’s because he wasn’t coaching OL anymore, maybe it’s because he wasn’t as committed to at and wanted to be more like the Brady offense in New England. Either way, I keep bringing up the rushing attack because (other than 2004), we absolutely have to be effective in the ground game in order to be good offensively.

I think Brian is generally a good play designer, moreso in the run game. He has spurts of good play calls, but interrupts it with some real “WTH?!?!” moments. We had some really explosive games from 2017-2019, but some moribund performances too. We’re always going to have good defenses on our schedule. A good OC figures out a way to get SOMETHING productive against strong defenses. The 55 on OSU was awesome, but the stinkers against Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State and now SDSU, ISU and Illinois are hard to ignore.

I think a return to the NFL would be best for everyone. I want Brian to do well, but maybe on a different path than he or his dad envisioned.
2013 YPG 50 YPC 71
2014 YPG 61 YPC 76
2015 YPG 49 YPC 59
2016 YPG 67 YPC 65

mixed bag but better?

Good grief. You're kidding, right?
You watched the SDSU, ISU, and IL games right? What about my post is a stretch? Against defenses with a pulse Iowa has done next to zero all season. MN and WI have stout defenses and will stack the line to stop the run. I hope I am wrong but see three field goals as max output in both games.

You watched the SDSU, ISU, and IL games right? What about my post is a stretch? Against defenses with a pulse Iowa has done next to zero all season. MN and WI have stout defenses and will stack the line to stop the run. I hope I am wrong but see three field goals as max output in both games.
The "stretch" part of your post is you stated you would be surprised if the Hawks score a touchdown against either WI or MN. I say they will. Care to bet? I didn't think so.

Your post is silly.

Iowa has the best coaches to turn things around... and things are turning around.
Brain Ferentz is a football genius... and he's not going anywhere.
perhaps its time for you to root for another team?
Someone it the homer juice hard. This football genius has us ranked where in offense? You find one statistical offensive category we are ranked on the right side of 50 in and I will agree with you.

ADVERTISEMENT