ADVERTISEMENT

Offense heating up; decision for KF

I
Good post. I don't think we need the portal for another tackle next year. The very big boy from SE Polk is probably taking the starting right tackle spot. Have another 4* tackle also in the recruiting class.
I've tempered my expectations because that highly ranked 2021 recruiting class on the OLine hasn't yet contributed.

So I am now guarded in my view.

My sources are not what they once were. However, still have some contacts. The most common "rumor" is Brian is looking for an NFL job. I can certainly see how he would prefer to leave Iowa City and avoid the abuse.

Brian is probably more suited to the NFL than college. Everyone that I know that knows football and Brian all say BF has a brilliant offensive mind. The problem, it is far too complex for most college players. It puts our QBs in the position of an NFL QB. It requires very precise NFL level execution by everyone.

I cannot say that's rock solid, but a credible story and I would not be surprised at all were it to materialize. If so, I hope we could find a way to bring Drew Tate back as a QB coach. That would be good for morale.

Glad the Hawks are winning. Glad the offense is moving the ball. But,

5 teams put up more yardage against Purdue than Iowa did
4 teams put up more yardage against NW than Iowa did

Oh and,
8 teams put up more yardage against OSU than Iowa did (all of them)
8 teams put up more yardage against ISU than Iowa did (all of them)

Iowa is 129th in Total Offense, 119th in Rushing Offense, 120th in Passing Offense and 125th in scoring Offense

There is no way Iowa will make the top 100 in any of those stats.

BF does not deserve another year, no matter the ending W/L record.

if iowa beats wisc, mn, and ne with repectable (like against nw and pu) offense and also a dominating offensive performance in one of these games, everyone is going to start going back to 2008 when the team started shittily but finished strong...
2009 was pretty good too

Reactions: not_mantiteo
My sources are not what they once were. However, still have some contacts. The most common "rumor" is Brian is looking for an NFL job. I can certainly see how he would prefer to leave Iowa City and avoid the abuse.

Brian is probably more suited to the NFL than college. Everyone that I know that knows football and Brian all say BF has a brilliant offensive mind. The problem, it is far too complex for most college players. It puts our QBs in the position of an NFL QB. It requires very precise NFL level execution by everyone.

I cannot say that's rock solid, but a credible story and I would not be surprised at all were it to materialize. If so, I hope we could find a way to bring Drew Tate back as a QB coach. That would be good for morale.
that’s thought provoking…. seems plausible actually

i’m in the same boat, Dog, my contacts aren’t as good as they used to be, but I went to school during Brian’s playing days, and his wife is a friend of mine so I’ve met him a handful of times.

She has laregly removed herself from social media and I understand why. We had a really bad offense. Kirk allowed his son to either excel or bust. He busted. I still think Brian has great days ahead… somewhere. I doubt it is here. He is an enormous hawk fan and has a good football mind. Best to him ni matter what.

Reactions: mikesright
i’m in the same boat, Dog, my contacts aren’t as good as they used to be, but I went to school during Brian’s playing days, and his wife is a friend of mine so I’ve met him a handful of times.

She has laregly removed herself from social media and I understand why. We had a really bad offense. Kirk allowed his son to either excel or bust. He busted. I still think Brian has great days ahead… somewhere. I doubt it is here. He is an enormous hawk fan and has a good football mind. Best to him ni matter what.
I think this is what bothers me most about criticism handed out to players and coaches. Most of it is drivel from upset fans with no real clue about what it takes to actually play any sport at a high level. Brian is running the offense most here have been clamoring for, but since we have execution issues and youth they blame the coach. Brian has not been perfect but he is not some crappy know nothing Coordinator that doesn't know how to prep and execute an offensive plan. I understand why people want to move on but there will still be people who are unhappy no matter who is Coordinator. Careful what you wish for......

I don’t think Brian wants to be in this situation any longer. Kirk probably doesn’t care about the noise but if he’s smart he gets his son into a better situation.

There isn't going to be a better paying situation. At least not immediately.

Although it could be argued that replacing Brian might be a better situation as far as absorbing public scorn.

I think this is what bothers me most about criticism handed out to players and coaches. Most of it is drivel from upset fans with no real clue about what it takes to actually play any sport at a high level. Brian is running the offense most here have been clamoring for, but since we have execution issues and youth they blame the coach. Brian has not been perfect but he is not some crappy know nothing Coordinator that doesn't know how to prep and execute an offensive plan. I understand why people want to move on but there will still be people who are unhappy no matter who is Coordinator. Careful what you wish for......

Come on... 125 out of 131 in scoring offense. That is dreadful.

Iowa fans wish for an offense that is at least average that could improve with time. That is not anything unrealistic concerning the money available.

Fire BF. Get some new blood. Turn a new chapter.

You make some good points, but I've never been a fan of "fear change and just accept what you have because it could be worse" mentality.

As you pointed out, much of the criticism may come off as misdirected...if the O line is bad (for example) there's only so much an OC can do. It's fair to suggest that many people may be directing their criticism at the wrong thing or person.

But I don't think anyone regardless of their level of knowledge can deny the offense is pathetic...and it's been like this before under KFz. How much is bad OL play, how much is play-calling and scheme, how much is QB play is a topic for debate and one where a deeper knowledge of football certainly comes in handy.

But even to the layman...it's pretty obvious the offense has been a shit show. Spread the blame as you wish...most has to fall on the HC and OC. They built it.

You make some good points, but I've never been a fan of "fear change and just accept what you have because it could be worse" mentality.

As you pointed out, much of the criticism may come off as misdirected...if the O line is bad (for example) there's only so much an OC can do. It's fair to suggest that many people may be directing their criticism at the wrong thing or person.

But I don't think anyone regardless of their level of knowledge can deny the offense is pathetic...and it's been like this before under KFz. How much is bad OL play, how much is play-calling and scheme, how much is QB play is a topic for debate and one where a deeper knowledge of football certainly comes in handy.

But even to the layman...it's pretty obvious the offense has been a shit show. Spread the blame as you wish...most has to fall on the HC and OC. They built it.
The problem with your thinking is Iowa football has much to lose. Take a look at Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland in just the Big Ten. How often do they change coaches. After all those coaching changes are their programs at Iowa's level-as a program. How many major bowls have all of those schools collectively played since KF became coach. The answer is, I think, none. How many Division championships have they won since the league adopted divisions. Again, the answer is none. How many have a winning record against Iowa during the Ferentz years? Well, that's a none. I'm guessing none of those programs have winning records against Michigan and Pedo St., as does Iowa during the Ferentz years. How many even Tier 2 bowls have those schools played. The answer is probably none although someone might have snuck into the Cap 1 or Outback Bowl type games.

So, you see we have much to lose, very much to lose. Most HC decisions don't work out. What's the average head coaching career in the BCS level teams? Just the P5 teams. Illinois has had 8 head coaches since KF arrived at Iowa. None left with a winning record, indeed Bielema still has not topped .500 in his brief career.

Here's a very good analogy. I was born way back in nineteen hundred and fifty-nine. Iowa was 5-4 in 59, 8-1 in 60 and 5-4 in 61. Sixty-one was the year I turned two. The next winning record was 1981, when I turned 22. That's when Iowa started hiring new coaches every four or five seasons, and they all sucked until Hayden turned it around in 81.

The Alford and Lickliter experience should be highly instructive for those who said the very same thing about Tom Davis and having nothing to lose. Twenty-three years later and we still have not reached a single Sweet 16 or won a reg season title. I wish we'd won more in the last 60 years but the reality is the record on KF is probably the best Iowa can do in the post-modern sports world. Even if we hit lightning in bottle they won't stay. NIL, TV, streaming and social media and demographic changes cut more against us every year.

Are you really willing to wait a quarter century for the carousel to toss up a keeper, 'cuz you'll be waiting in a desert.​

There isn't going to be a better paying situation. At least not immediately.

Although it could be argued that replacing Brian might be a better situation as far as absorbing public scorn.
Oh I don't know about that. In any case Brian is not worried about money I suspect. His long term career opportunities are damaged if he stays here another year and stinks up the place again. He's already radioactive as a college OC. He's going to have to be a position coach in the NFL to build his career back.

Reactions: shudaddy
I think a bit of a fire was lit under Kirks and Brians behinds and it motivated them to get better and stop with the excuses.

Come on... 125 out of 131 in scoring offense. That is dreadful.

Iowa fans wish for an offense that is at least average that could improve with time. That is not anything unrealistic concerning the money available.

Fire BF. Get some new blood. Turn a new chapter.
I get it, but it is likely that any other OC handed what he was handed and with players performing the way they were would experience the same results.

Like I said, I get it. A change is probably best at this point. I am not absolving BF of accountibility for the product on the field, he is the OC and needs to own it, which he has so far. But he is a far better OC than he is given credit for. Personally, I think the O-line coach needs to own some of what has happened this year. But mostly, it is a case of attrition, injury, youth and execution that has plagued this years team. Lastly, anyone expecting a new OC to walk in the door and make everything work like a well oiled machine has not been watching Iowa football for long.

O’connel has Iowa induced ptsd and that will carry over to Illinois, round 2. Illinois gonna be ready to inflict more pain on the Purdue wonder offense.
Just like how they pounded a Michigan State team that had 8 players miss this game. ???

Like I said, I get it. A change is probably best at this point. I am not absolving BF of accountibility for the product on the field, he is the OC and needs to own it, which he has so far. But he is a far better OC than he is given credit for. Personally, I think the O-line coach needs to own some of what has happened this year. But mostly, it is a case of attrition, injury, youth and execution that has plagued this years team. Lastly, anyone expecting a new OC to walk in the door and make everything work like a well oiled machine has not been watching Iowa football for long.
Yep. In no small part, because it all comes back to the HC's offensive philosophy.

Glad the Hawks are winning. Glad the offense is moving the ball. But,

5 teams put up more yardage against Purdue than Iowa did
4 teams put up more yardage against NW than Iowa did

Oh and,
8 teams put up more yardage against OSU than Iowa did (all of them)
8 teams put up more yardage against ISU than Iowa did (all of them)

Iowa is 129th in Total Offense, 119th in Rushing Offense, 120th in Passing Offense and 125th in scoring Offense

There is no way Iowa will make the top 100 in any of those stats.

BF does not deserve another year, no matter the ending W/L record.
How many of the five teams that put up more yardage than Iowa beat Purdue by 21 Points? Zero! Iowa was up 21 points against Purdue two plays into the third quarter and Purdue's offense had not scored a TD. On defense your strategy is to make sure they have no quick scores, play your safeties back, have your corners play off, etc. On offense do not turn the ball over and allow them to have a glimmer of hope. In the 4th quarter run the ball to eat time and limit your star running back as you do not want him hurt in a game you have won. The offensive stats will not look great unless you can run the ball against a stacked defense.

Northwestern had several close games other than Iowa and Wisc. We were ahead 20-0 at the half.

Since you talked about our total offense we have played the top two teams in total defense and 4 of the top ten. Purdue in total defense is #39 which is one spot below the second best defense in the Big 12. Northwestern at #81 is ahead of 4 Big 12 defenses. We still have to play Minn another top 10 defense. This week we play Wisc who is at #23 in total defense.

The first two games of the year we had who at wide receiver? Johnson possible our best receiver has played less than a game this year. Vines missed much of fall practice and the first half of the season. Ragaini and Brecht missed several weeks of fall practice and the first couple of games including the ISU game. Missing games and practice hurts QB WR timing, route running, catching the ball when you have a broken hand, football conditioning when you return, etc.

Reactions: F5n5
How many of the five teams that put up more yardage than Iowa beat Purdue by 21 Points? Zero! Iowa was up 21 points against Purdue two plays into the third quarter and Purdue's offense had not scored a TD. On defense your strategy is to make sure they have no quick scores, play your safeties back, have your corners play off, etc. On offense do not turn the ball over and allow them to have a glimmer of hope. In the 4th quarter run the ball to eat time and limit your star running back as you do not want him hurt in a game you have won. The offensive stats will not look great unless you can run the ball against a stacked defense.

Northwestern had several close games other than Iowa and Wisc. We were ahead 20-0 at the half.

Since you talked about our total offense we have played the top two teams in total defense and 4 of the top ten. Purdue in total defense is #39 which is one spot below the second best defense in the Big 12. Northwestern at #81 is ahead of 4 Big 12 defenses. We still have to play Minn another top 10 defense. This week we play Wisc who is at #23 in total defense.

The first two games of the year we had who at wide receiver? Johnson possible our best receiver has played less than a game this year. Vines missed much of fall practice and the first half of the season. Ragaini and Brecht missed several weeks of fall practice and the first couple of games including the ISU game. Missing games and practice hurts QB WR timing, route running, catching the ball when you have a broken hand, football conditioning when you return, etc.
Obviously defense has a big impact on margin of victory. I have posted several times that the Hawks have played top defenses and are now facing average defenses.

Getting a few guys healthy is a big help. But, a very big part of the OC responsibilities are recruiting and development to build depth. Since many of the starters are inexperienced, the back up have less or no experience. Injuries happen and you need some credible back ups.

The thread is about the offense "heating up". I don't really agree. The offense is finally playing some teams that they can compete with. I don't think BF is figuring things out.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
What is BF goal in coaching? He will never be the head coach at Iowa. What is he gonna do when Daddy hangs up the whistle? Does KF think Brian is going to take over when he retires?

I’ll get some grief for saying this but Brian does know considerably more about football than a bunch of message board geniuses and that’s not even debatable

question his play calling if you want but he can’t call anything that will work if the line can’t block and Petras has actually looked serviceable since he’s had time to set his feet….. I’d even argue he’s made some really good throws

the only thing I don’t understand is why that pisses off some of our “fans” ….. personally if we finish the year strong and we get some line help I’m all for Brian getting a chance to prove he can coach…… guys a born and bred Hawkeye man…..I’d be thrilled if he succeeds

I’m confident it’s a jimmy and joes issue not x’s and o’s and we have the next coming of Tristin Wirfs coming next year and I believe another lineman who’s a 4 star

be nice to find a starting quality offensive tackle in the portal too….. maybe a WR but we have talented young receivers if we can keep them healthy……. I’ll hang up and listen to your abuse now 😎
With Iowa's oline prowess how often has Iowa ended up in the top 50 in rushing in the last twenty years? How often has it finished in the top 50 in sacks allowed? How many offensive linemen has it put in the league?

That's through 3

Obviously defense has a big impact on margin of victory. I have posted several times that the Hawks have played top defenses and are now facing average defenses.

Getting a few guys healthy is a big help. But, a very big part of the OC responsibilities are recruiting and development to build depth. Since many of the starters are inexperienced, the back up have less or no experience. Injuries happen and you need some credible back ups.

The thread is about the offense "heating up". I don't really agree. The offense is finally playing some teams that they can compete with. I don't think BF is figuring things out.
How many WR's do you think the team should have with a 85 scholarship limit? Losing C Jones in the spring when we had few options in the portal sure hurt. 4 scholarship WR have missed weeks of fall practice and all of the first two games and two of them will have missed near half the season or more. That is 5 scholarship WR we had at spring ball that were expected to contribute. Johnson a likely starter this year has not contributed at all. I assume C Jones would also start or be a major contributor. Few teams have depth that can contribute beyond starters and the second string and the drop off from first to second string can be significant. How would Purdue's offense look without C Jones?

Other than a few head scratching play calls now and again (fullback handoff or end arounds to non-speedy WRs), I think Brian does pretty well using the tools he’s got. I say that with full disclosure that I’ve been quite critical of the offense - but more so critical about QB play and expectations for a third year starting QB. With a few healthy offensive threats, an OL that is able to gel, and a QB that can simply be average, I think BF does a decent job of calling a game. He’s had to feel quite hopeless with a QB that often over or under throws two yard out routes! That said, the QB room that is devoid of talent is also his responsibility so that has to be priority #1.

I agree with this….it’s all still his department, buuuuttt he is still handcuffed by the old man! I think he has called some decent games but man, bad QBing, horrific blocking and lots of drops are hard to account for!

I also personally don’t feel like the OL has been as good since he left the OL to the OC room?!

Even in these last two games where we’ve clearly played much better against weaker competition. We’ve still had some really terrible series along the O-line… And Logan Jones who I think may eventually be a fine center… Man does he miss some blocks badly… They were two whiffs yesterday that I am not sure Lamar Jackson could’ve gotten away from that ended up in sacks!!

Last edited:
Question, what if he ends up right?
Then he ends up being right and I'll be very happy because I want BF to move on.

Never did I say Brian absolutely won't be leaving after this season but I also know for a fact there's been no decision already made on him not being back. And yes, I will stack up how I know this against any talking from his ass "source" he claims to have.

I assume C Jones would also start or be a major contributor. Few teams have depth that can contribute beyond starters and the second string and the drop off from first to second string can be significant. How would Purdue's offense look without C Jones?

Not good at all….and like others in this thread who I typically agree with I’m not looking to absolve the staff or Brian. But the one thing I do that I question whether these “hateful” types do is… I look around the country and I see how other people are doing things….

PU is supposedly coached by an offensive Juggernaut … And yet their far and away best wide receiver had to come from Iowa; a place that is known to produce a lot of “great wide receivers“…Doh!!

That’s extremely telling… They also don’t have a particularly great O-line and Tyrone Tracy who I actually like as a human being would’ve been better off staying at Iowa!!

Last edited:
Then he ends up being right and I'll be very happy because I want BF to move on.

Never did I say Brian absolutely won't be leaving after this season but I also know for a fact there's been no decision already made on him not being back. And yes, I will stack up how I know this against any talking from his ass "source" he claims to have.

I have no sources and I don’t know anything from anything other than 52 years of life, my own families squabbles & a couple nuances I hear in passing… I personally will be shocked if he’s on the team next year, with the exception of ending the season looking really really really good….

I honestly don’t think he wants to be here anymore and I’m not gonna dig very deep into this but I also personally believe if it hadn’t been for his mother he may indeed have been gone last year!

I also believe he’s likely a better coach (poorer human being) than most of our fans think and or his dad or our system allows him to be.

PS…. I don’t care for him as a person nor his mother. I have had the opportunity to hear and learn some things over the years that I have no interest in sharing but I don’t really see any reason to lambaste anybody… I also believe he won’t be here!!

How many WR's do you think the team should have with a 85 scholarship limit? Losing C Jones in the spring when we had few options in the portal sure hurt. 4 scholarship WR have missed weeks of fall practice and all of the first two games and two of them will have missed near half the season or more. That is 5 scholarship WR we had at spring ball that were expected to contribute. Johnson a likely starter this year has not contributed at all. I assume C Jones would also start or be a major contributor. Few teams have depth that can contribute beyond starters and the second string and the drop off from first to second string can be significant. How would Purdue's offense look without C Jones?
Fair enough. But if your point is that if the Hawks had a healthy receiving corps to start the year then they would have been able to compete with the OSU, Illinois, Michigan and ISU defenses, then I don't agree. There were plenty of other deficiencies in those games. It wouldn't have taken much to win the ISU and Illinois games, but the offense still isn't good enough to compete for a B1G Championship.

I hope the Hawks win out and then win a bowl game for 9 wins. Then I hope BF moves on.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
The problem with your thinking is Iowa football has much to lose. Take a look at Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland in just the Big Ten. How often do they change coaches. After all those coaching changes are their programs at Iowa's level-as a program. How many major bowls have all of those schools collectively played since KF became coach. The answer is, I think, none. How many Division championships have they won since the league adopted divisions. Again, the answer is none. How many have a winning record against Iowa during the Ferentz years? Well, that's a none. I'm guessing none of those programs have winning records against Michigan and Pedo St., as does Iowa during the Ferentz years. How many even Tier 2 bowls have those schools played. The answer is probably none although someone might have snuck into the Cap 1 or Outback Bowl type games.

So, you see we have much to lose, very much to lose. Most HC decisions don't work out. What's the average head coaching career in the BCS level teams? Just the P5 teams. Illinois has had 8 head coaches since KF arrived at Iowa. None left with a winning record, indeed Bielema still has not topped .500 in his brief career.

Here's a very good analogy. I was born way back in nineteen hundred and fifty-nine. Iowa was 5-4 in 59, 8-1 in 60 and 5-4 in 61. Sixty-one was the year I turned two. The next winning record was 1981, when I turned 22. That's when Iowa started hiring new coaches every four or five seasons, and they all sucked until Hayden turned it around in 81.

The Alford and Lickliter experience should be highly instructive for those who said the very same thing about Tom Davis and having nothing to lose. Twenty-three years later and we still have not reached a single Sweet 16 or won a reg season title. I wish we'd won more in the last 60 years but the reality is the record on KF is probably the best Iowa can do in the post-modern sports world. Even if we hit lightning in bottle they won't stay. NIL, TV, streaming and social media and demographic changes cut more against us every year.

Are you really willing to wait a quarter century for the carousel to toss up a keeper, 'cuz you'll be waiting in a desert.​

This is why I enjoy your posts…. but the people you’re talking to, they don’t get it dog?! They just don’t!

By any objective measure, the Iowa offense has been bad to awful under Brian. Any success the rest of this season will, like last season and prior seasons with Brian at OC, be largely due to defense and special teams.

Kirk isn't stupid. He must by now realize that nepotism is a no-win situation and that the inevitable offensive underperformance will again bring more pressure to bring in a new OC. If he knows what's good for the future of Iowa football and his own legacy, he'll help Brian find an assistant position in the NFL and move on. A 9-4 finish with a bowl win doesn't change any of this. I have faith that KF will do the right thing regardless of how many we win down the stretch.

BF is a below avg OC at best and the stats back it up. Not just from this and last year season, being a bottom 10 offense in the nation, but Dochterman in piece on the Athletic few weeks ago posted offensive statistics and since BF took over 5+ years ago Iowa ranks 100+ or worse in almost every one of them. Just because BF "knows football" or has a "high IQ" doesn't mean anything if results don't add up. Because it's not like the other 130 OCs for D1 aren't smart football minds too. Lastly about fans being critical that have no clue or played the sport. What about all the analyst and former players nationwide who have spoken about how poorly BF has been as an OC and needs to go? Bascially saying it's not just the Iowa fans it's but everyone else is saying same thing that the results speak for themselves and they aren't good and anyone with eyes can see how the D and SP have carried the team. I mean heck Greg Davis statistically was better and that's saying something.

Flip side Parker routinely praised with the D how disciplined they are, know their assignment, always in the right place and don't make mistakes. Then you look at the offense and it's exact opposite. So if PP gets the praise BF deserves the criticism. Even with lack of OL and WR depth it's his job to develop and KF's fault too but they have no excuse for not utilizing the portal with youth and lack of depth especially after losing 4 wr to the portal.

The offense is still ranked near the bottom in the entire country but if the offense continues its current momentum will it be enough for KF to justify to himself that he should keep Brian? For once this team is somewhat fun to watch and the schedule is getting easier and may qualify for a bowl game. Happy to get the momentum but I'm afraid this will give KF just enough reason to keep BF at OC.
How come it's not whether we keep the OL coach or the same 5 OL?

Brian was most successful here as OL coach/run game coordinator. But, for all the angst over GD, he actually COMMITTED to running the ball and having that identity. They must’ve worked well together, because our rushing YPG & YPC from 2013-2016 were really good.

When Brian took over as OC, the running game immediately suffered. Maybe it’s because he wasn’t coaching OL anymore, maybe it’s because he wasn’t as committed to at and wanted to be more like the Brady offense in New England. Either way, I keep bringing up the rushing attack because (other than 2004), we absolutely have to be effective in the ground game in order to be good offensively.

I think Brian is generally a good play designer, moreso in the run game. He has spurts of good play calls, but interrupts it with some real “WTH?!?!” moments. We had some really explosive games from 2017-2019, but some moribund performances too. We’re always going to have good defenses on our schedule. A good OC figures out a way to get SOMETHING productive against strong defenses. The 55 on OSU was awesome, but the stinkers against Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State and now SDSU, ISU and Illinois are hard to ignore.

I think a return to the NFL would be best for everyone. I want Brian to do well, but maybe on a different path than he or his dad envisioned.

KF has had 3 OC's, and Brian's offenses have consistently ranked the worst out of the bunch, from year to year. He needs to go, but, I'm skeptical that any changes will be made, particularly if Iowa finishes the season on a strong note.

Time may hopefully prove me wrong.

Fair enough. But if your point is that if the Hawks had a healthy receiving corps to start the year then they would have been able to compete with the OSU, Illinois, Michigan and ISU defenses, then I don't agree. There were plenty of other deficiencies in those games. It wouldn't have taken much to win the ISU and Illinois games, but the offense still isn't good enough to compete for a B1G Championship.

I hope the Hawks win out and then win a bowl game for 9 wins. Then I hope BF moves on.
I think the Iowa model to compete with OSU and CFP contenders is to:

1. They have to dominate the LOS with the o line. They need to be bullies again.
2. While TE's have been really good and it looks like RB recruiting is in good shape, there needs to be more talent with the WR position.
3. They are going to have to get some mobility at the QB position. The non-mobile QB just allows everything to be so much easier for the defenses, they can drop another man in coverage as well as pin their ears back and not have to worry about over-rushing the gaps and edges.

But all of it can be accomplished in this scheme. Iowa will never win any stat competition, they just don't play that way, but if you had the 2002 o line with a healthy Tate/CJ along with DJK/McNutt/Tevaun Smith/Mo Brown/CJ Jones, Kittle/Hock/LaPorta/Moeaki and a Greene type RB (KJ looks great), I would bet that even within the same exact scheme as we have we would compete with anyone. And with the same OC. And honestly I don't think it is that far-fetched.

KF has had 3 OC's, and Brian's offenses have consistently ranked the worst out of the bunch, from year to year. He needs to go, but, I'm skeptical that any changes will be made, particularly if Iowa finishes the season on a strong note.

Time may hopefully prove me wrong.

Ill add to the passive aggressive silliness we have going on in here.

My fear is we get another offensive coordinator and the same damn people that bitched and moaned when KOK was here will just keep bitching and moaning….that’s my fear!

It’s ingrained in them. They are powerless to be any different. I remember having an argument with 10 or 15 of the same subjects way back when KOK was here… And I said then we are running the offense the head coach wants and no amount of bitching is going to change it. You all want to blame the OC ( still our best) and are all too damn daft to realize Ken O’Keeffe when he was a head coach at Allegheny ran a spread offense and won the national championship in their division (2 or 3) !

THAT group of people are the same people on every board, they are NEVER going to be satisfied!

As the deplorable dog said earlier…about 75% of this board is super damn tired of the same freaking critics over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over……

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Ill add to the passive aggressive silliness we have going on in here.

My fear is we get another offensive coordinator and the same damn people that bitched and moaned when KOK was here will just keep bitching and moaning….that’s my fear!

It’s ingrained in them. They are powerless to be any different. I remember having an argument with 10 or 15 of the same subjects way back when KOK was here… And I said then we are running the offense the head coach wants and no amount of bitching is going to change it. You all want to blame the OC ( still our best) and are all too damn daft to realize Ken O’Keeffe when he was a head coach at Allegheny ran a spread offense and won the national championship in their division (2 or 3) !

THAT group of people are the same people on every board, they are NEVER going to be satisfied!

As the deplorable dog said earlier…about 75% of this board is super damn tired of the same freaking critics over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over……
I agree that KF is also part of the problem. The OCs are surely running the offense (more or less) that KF wants. That said, BF is producing less results than either KOK or Davis. KOK at least had certain years where the offense was solid/good. He had some down years also.

So I feel there's a ring of truth to both sides of the argument as to whether KF or the OC (Brian) is the problem with the offense - both share some blame IMO.

In retrospect, I think KOK did a pretty solid job in his day, when you look at what his successors have delivered.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT