ADVERTISEMENT

Offense will be better and here's why

From everything I’ve heard through the grape vine, he is starting because he not as bad as the other options. In other words, Iowa doesn’t have a viable option at QB. It could be a very long year based on the results of the bowl game and his performance in that game, which wasn’t good with over throws of wide open guys or completely missed them to throwing the three interceptions.
Not sure what grape vine you’re hearing from that completely omits Padilla, but he looked fine at both the Spring Practice and Kid’s Day at Kinnick. He just needs a longer look to properly evaluate his game improvement completion percentages…..

Reactions: Bishop1971
Every QB is taught to check down rather than take a sack or an interception. One could hardly describe BB, Drew, Ricky, CJ or Nate has "check down Charlies."

I'm not high on Spencer but we need to check down the crazier criticisms. Like many QBs an injury played a significant part in the last three games. Since we had a guy that was even less accurate than an injured Petras and a RS freshman for reserves its kind of hard to be too critical on the coaches caution. They were in a tight race that would be filled with close games. Played it safe and produced a ten win Division Champ. In the games played before the injury Spencer was 119/199 - a completion rate over 59%. He threw all ten TDs in those games, and even with the 4 disastrous interceptions against Purdue he only threw 2 in the other 6 games. Indeed seven of Spencer's interceptions came in 2 games, 2 interceptions in the other 10 games.

People weigh their memories around the most recent events and those last two games were hard to watch. But they weren't the whole story. This comment from Outback 2017 kind of proves my point. "It could be a very long year based on the results of the bowl game and his performance in that game, which wasn’t good with over throws of wide open guys or completely missed them to throwing the three interceptions" That's projecting his entire season on the basis of a very atypically bad game but also the last game. That's no more realistic than basing the entire season on the 3 TD 70% completion rate and 259 yards against Maryland.

Spencer did lead the team to three come from behind wins last year, scoring the winning TD against the Bug Eaters. Everyone says he's the team leader on offense. He had a strong arm and made a lot of good throws before his shoulder injury. He's been through literally everything bad so maybe he, and the rest of the offense can be significantly better. They aren't trying to **** up.

I don't typically disagree with the coaches player decisions. The coaches see 'em all the time, know what the player is supposed to be doing, and know a hell of a lot more than me about football. So let's not throw in the towel just yet. I will add a caveat, I can see the possible signs of "stubborn old man" worth watching in this current QB situation. Brad Banks, Nate Chandler, Drew Tate, Jake Christensen, Ricky, Jake Ruddock and Nate Stanley all started in their second years in the program. Either our offense has gotten much too complex in the 6 seasons since Nate Stanley started his soph year...a season that saw like 2400 yard, 26 TDs and I think 6 interceptions or we have really missed on some QBs since we recruited Nate.

Last edited:
I do see it more during Iowa games than I do in the other games I watch on Saturday Friday and Thursday. It's not that Iowa designs routes that way, it's just that, unlike other schools that will throw a 1-1 fade and hope for a catch/interference call, Iowa's qb's are so beat down with safe safe safe, throw it away; they become check down charlies. I would say Iowa makes their qb's that way, they don't come in like that.
Is it Iowa's strategy, yes but I'll never understand not having a qb with a little more moxie. By moxie I only mean they are willing to run 3-4 times a game on 3rd down. Banks and beathard got Iowa 2-3 more series a game with their legs. With Iowa's tight margins for victory that makes a huge difference.
I will say the same thing for big running backs.

Lol… you absolutely “do not“ see it more in Iowa games than you do in other games. It’s called confirmation bias… Quite frankly where we really fail is getting the ball in a place where the receiver can keep running.

Every team does it & do you know why… ?

Wait for it because it’s really Brilliant…

Because the other team is most assuredly trying to keep you from getting too or throwing to the sticks !

Just sayin’..

I don't think Spencer will take that big of a step forward this year but I think he takes a step forward and it will be because everything around him on offense will improve. As a result the offense will be better. Here is why.

First the depth chart released today is crap. There are guys starting who might not even play and guys playing positions they haven't really been practicing at this camp. Gennings Dunker and Connor Colby are two key examples of this. I know Dunker has been getting a lot of 1st and 2nd team reps at the guard spots. I also know he has done well at RG while Colby has been the acting RT for what has been most of camp. I have also heard Plumb has played both OT's as well as RG. This leads me to my point on why the offense will be much improved.

3rd and short. Iowa's run game struggled last year and passing on first and 2nd down didn't help put Iowa in manageable 3rd downs. Petras isn't going to make big plays to keep drives going all game. He may only have a handful of those throws in him a game. Iowa needs to put themselves in manageable 3rd down situations. The run game this year will do that. Iowa has finally returned to a power run game set. The RB's are bigger and can bounce off tackles. They also are solid one cut and hit runners. Arm touch tackles aren't going to bring this stable of backs down. I love backs like Goodson and Wadley but backs like that aren't running through arm tackles. They're great to have if you can pair them with a bigger back.

The coaching staff also spent a lot of time this off season getting the OL bigger and stronger. It's a tell that the staff is returning to a power run game. When the staff and media were buzzing about the Iowa running backs this summer Colby was playing RT and Dunker was playing guard. The coaching staff aren't playing Colby at RT and Dunker at OG for pretty much all or most of camp in August just to switch Colby back at RG and Dunker to third string. There is something there with those two that's working. From what I heard about Dunker and run blocking they have something there the coaches really like. The coaching staff and personnel have also stressed finding the right combinations that work well together and how important that is. Expect Iowa to be solid running the ball this year. The OL and RB's will put the offense in a lot more 3rd and short situations providing Petras with manageable situations inside his comfort zone. This will help Iowa put points on the board and field position working for them. I think Iowa has two 800-900 yd runners and one that gets about 400yds. The RB's will combine for right around 2,000yds this year.

Iowa will get the run game going this year. They may not be breakaway threats but their ability to get 3-5yds a carry more consistently will set up 3rd and short while also allowing Iowa to better utilize the talent at WR/TE. By just getting another yard or two on first and 2nd down this year it will present a bigger challenge this year to opposing defenses and keep them from boxing the Iowa offense in. 2nd and 6 or 2nd and 5 will also be a lot better than 2nd and 8 or 10 like we saw a lot of last year. It will allow Iowa to mix things up on both 2nd and 3rd down.
Damn. I saw your headline and I thought you were going to say BF quit.

I agree with the OP’s main premise which is (to me) “power backs tend to fall forward”. Iowa’s offense has to stay on schedule, and whether that happens because of better OL play or better RBs for the system, I’m happy. I think it’ll be a combination of both.

interestingly, a guy I work with is a WIS and Packers fan, so he’s watched Goodson as an opponent and as a hopeful pro signing. He says something was wrong last year as Goodson looks completely different. Maybe that’s the OL difference or maybe it’s something else, but I find it an interesting observation from an “outsider” of sorts.
Interesting that they cut him then. He must not have been that impressive in camp....

Interesting that they cut him then. He must not have been that impressive in camp....
By all accounts he had as good of a camp you could ask for, especially as a rookie. But you only get to keep 53 guys on an NFL roster.

safe bet imo he gets signed to a practice squad, and who knows what happens.

By all accounts he had as good of a camp you could ask for, especially as a rookie. But you only get to keep 53 guys on an NFL roster.

safe bet imo he gets signed to a practice squad, and who knows what happens.
That an RB's are a dime a dozen and interchangeable in the league unless you have some skill that really stands out, and TG really doesn't. Your right though if he can end up on a practice squad he may get picked up for a game or two because of an injury until they sign someone they like better.

That an RB's are a dime a dozen and interchangeable in the league unless you have some skill that really stands out, and TG really doesn't. Your right though if he can end up on a practice squad he may get picked up for a game or two because of an injury until they sign someone they like better.
well arent you a ray of sunshine?🥺

Reactions: Ignored
The Packers media (for what it's worth) said Goodson had as good a camp as he could have. Consistently made plays and didn't get hurt. The Packers want him on the practice squad if he clears waivers and no other team selects him. If he's on the practice squad, he can be called up 3 separate times in the year (or another team can claim him if he's not called up to the 53). So he's in a good spot for being a UDFA. You are 100% correct that the NFL largely sees RB as interchangeable. It is likely that Goodson gets a shot at being on the active 53 at some point this year. History with Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon is that one of them will get dinged up a bit at some point in a 17 game season. Good for TG, he's going to get paid to play football/be on a NFL roster this year.

well arent you a ray of sunshine?🥺
Just the way it is now. How many teams have a solid RB for several years in a row, and actually pay the guy? These aren't the days of Sweetness, or Emmitt anymore. Few teams just line up and has their back rush the ball 25-30 times a game anymore. Average time in the league now for a RB is what, 3 or 4 years? That means most of them never even make it to their second contract before they get replaced with a younger model with less wear on the tires. You have to be something really special now to make it long term. TG is a good back. Maybe good enough to hang for a few years, but I don't think he'll be a difference maker in the league. His one asset is he has good speed, bit not difference making at that level.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Just the way it is now. How many teams have a solid RB for several years in a row, and actually pay the guy? These aren't the days of Sweetness, or Emmitt anymore. Few teams just line up and has their back rush the ball 25-30 times a game anymore. Average time in the league now for a RB is what, 3 or 4 years? That means most of them never even make it to their second contract before they get replaced with a younger model with less wear on the tires. You have to be something really special now to make it long term. TG is a good back. Maybe good enough to hang for a few years, but I don't think he'll be a difference maker in the league. His one asset is he has good speed, bit not difference making at that level.

I think Tyler has a bit more upside than you do, but yeah who knows. To some extent I’m not sure it’s changed a ton regarding how so many RBs flash and then disappear. What’s changed imo is the reluctance of most clubs to give massive contract extensions - lessons finally learned after guys like Shaun Alexander, what’s his name from Tennessee a few years back (had a 2k year rushing), who all had production fall off in the 2nd contract.

Will be fascinated to see what happens to Derrick Henry at Tennessee.

Agree, the NFL is simply different now in offensive philosophy than previous decades.
Somewhat analogous to the discussions on the basketball board involving Luka and centers in the NBA. No longer do teams offenses run through the post, which has resulted in declining value of the traditional on the low block center in the league.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Agree, the NFL is simply different now in offensive philosophy than previous decades.
Somewhat analogous to the discussions on the basketball board involving Luka and centers in the NBA. No longer do teams offenses run through the post, which has resulted in declining value of the traditional on the low block center in the league.
Thats actually an excellent analogy SDHawkDoc. Very similar when you think about it...

Reactions: sober_teacher
KF said Dunker should be on the two deep. Likely part of the top 8 OL right now. I think the hype is real about him.

The national media is really overplaying their hand at this point. The Iowa hate is showing. We all know the offense sucked, but Iowa won. Would they rather Iowa fire and hire a new head coach every three years and continue to get their ass kicked like Tennessee, USC, and Nebraska to name a few.

Reactions: pistachio1999
The national media is really overplaying their hand at this point. The Iowa hate is showing. We all know the offense sucked, but Iowa won. Would they rather Iowa fire and hire a new head coach every three years and continue to get their ass kicked like Tennessee, USC, and Nebraska to name a few.
Most people picked us to go 8-4 or 9-3 and if we hit those marks they will want Kirk fired because secretly they wanted and believed 12-0.

Reactions: desihawk
I don't think Spencer will take that big of a step forward this year but I think he takes a step forward and it will be because everything around him on offense will improve. As a result the offense will be better. Here is why.

First the depth chart released today is crap. There are guys starting who might not even play and guys playing positions they haven't really been practicing at this camp. Gennings Dunker and Connor Colby are two key examples of this. I know Dunker has been getting a lot of 1st and 2nd team reps at the guard spots. I also know he has done well at RG while Colby has been the acting RT for what has been most of camp. I have also heard Plumb has played both OT's as well as RG. This leads me to my point on why the offense will be much improved.

3rd and short. Iowa's run game struggled last year and passing on first and 2nd down didn't help put Iowa in manageable 3rd downs. Petras isn't going to make big plays to keep drives going all game. He may only have a handful of those throws in him a game. Iowa needs to put themselves in manageable 3rd down situations. The run game this year will do that. Iowa has finally returned to a power run game set. The RB's are bigger and can bounce off tackles. They also are solid one cut and hit runners. Arm touch tackles aren't going to bring this stable of backs down. I love backs like Goodson and Wadley but backs like that aren't running through arm tackles. They're great to have if you can pair them with a bigger back.

The coaching staff also spent a lot of time this off season getting the OL bigger and stronger. It's a tell that the staff is returning to a power run game. When the staff and media were buzzing about the Iowa running backs this summer Colby was playing RT and Dunker was playing guard. The coaching staff aren't playing Colby at RT and Dunker at OG for pretty much all or most of camp in August just to switch Colby back at RG and Dunker to third string. There is something there with those two that's working. From what I heard about Dunker and run blocking they have something there the coaches really like. The coaching staff and personnel have also stressed finding the right combinations that work well together and how important that is. Expect Iowa to be solid running the ball this year. The OL and RB's will put the offense in a lot more 3rd and short situations providing Petras with manageable situations inside his comfort zone. This will help Iowa put points on the board and field position working for them. I think Iowa has two 800-900 yd runners and one that gets about 400yds. The RB's will combine for right around 2,000yds this year.

Iowa will get the run game going this year. They may not be breakaway threats but their ability to get 3-5yds a carry more consistently will set up 3rd and short while also allowing Iowa to better utilize the talent at WR/TE. By just getting another yard or two on first and 2nd down this year it will present a bigger challenge this year to opposing defenses and keep them from boxing the Iowa offense in. 2nd and 6 or 2nd and 5 will also be a lot better than 2nd and 8 or 10 like we saw a lot of last year. It will allow Iowa to mix things up on both 2nd and 3rd down.
One problem with your accessment. The defense are locking into the receivers that he is looking at. He usually looks at his first read and throws it to him or throws it away if not open. He does not look away from his target or go thru his pregressions. Re watch the game. He threw into double coverage more than I care to say cus his eyes are drawing the safety to his target.

So if you think he will miracously fix this after years of training, the offense will not improve substantially with him as qb.

Future defense will dare him to throw. 8 or more in the box to stop run and change from man to man or zone to confuse him

That what our future has in store with petras

Never trust true fans to make objective evaluations about gameplans. I'd bet Vegas makes most of it's money on (insert team's) fans thinking they're better than they are. And that has proven to be the case. The over/under today was 44. If you teased that down to 18 you coulda been a gabillionaire.

Such is life as a Hawkeye fan.

I really wanted to believe the OP and sis until these first two games. Iowa needs a Philbin to call plays again. Iowa hasn’t been as productive since he left.

Reactions: amahawk
Oh boy, pack it up. No more evaluations from you. 🤣
Offense will be better because we can’t possibly be as bad as we were last year, right? Like we were historically bad as a hawks team on offense
Turns out, the bar can go lower.

ADVERTISEMENT