ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Coordinator/ QB Coach Money$

percyland

HR MVP
Apr 16, 2011
Right now paying Brian Ferentz ~$900,000 and Budmayr as a helper for QBs $325,000.

They are almost paying $1.3 million for OC and QB which would be a top 5 paid OC in the entire country.

I've never been a fire KF guy but is he really trying the very best he can to make the best team he can? It seems like probably not if we could pay to bring in a Top 5 OC but he prefers to spend the same money to have one of the worst offenses in the country. Just mind boggling.

Sorry for another OC thread but it is infuriating knowing we could pluck out a Top OC with that money instead stuck with 7-25 Brian.

Right now paying Brian Ferentz ~$900,000 and Budmayr as a helper for QBs $325,000.

They are almost paying $1.3 million for OC and QB which would be a top 5 paid OC in the entire country.

I've never been a fire KF guy but is he really trying the very best he can to make the best team he can?
It seems like probably not if we could pay to bring in a Top 5 OC but he prefers to spend the same money to have one of the worst offenses in the country. Just mind boggling.

Sorry for another OC thread but it is infuriating knowing we could pluck out a Top OC with that money instead stuck with 7-25 Brian.
Of course not. He made it clear as day ~2018 that this team was his family & friends business and he had no intention of sacrificing that just for the sake of winning football games. He has only doubled-, tripled- and quadrupled-down on that since. Not sure why anyone would suspect otherwise…

I've never been a fire KF guy but is he really trying the very best he can to make the best team he can? It seems like probably not if we could pay to bring in a Top 5 OC but he prefers to spend the same money to have one of the worst offenses in the country. Just mind boggling.

I have never been able to articulate this in a manner that resonates, but here is why I’m not as mad at this as you guys…

The fact that our offense really seems to be keeping us from being a consistent top, 10 team is absolutely maddening I will not lie.

And yes, if Kirk Ferentz didn’t seem to be so stubborn and made a few tweaks, we should be able to fix it…

But here is where people don’t understand, and I apparently have not yet been able to explain it in a way that makes sense to them… There is no guarantee any other coach comes in here and has the great special-teams, the great defense, and then an adequate enough offense to do better!

Nothing in life is guaranteed, but I would almost guarantee you a new coach would have a much better offense but there’s no way to tell he’d have a good enough defense or special teams to make us have the 16th best winning percentage over the last 10 years…

so you guys look at the team ago geez, if we only had a better offense … Maybe we should fire Kirk Ferentz… I say if we do that, we now increase the probability that we won’t replace as well.

Even if we bring in a guy that puts together a top 50 offense and a top 50 defense does not in any way, shape or form mean we are still going to win at the same level we are now!

Again, I’m certain we’d have a better offense, I don’t think I’m gambling there at all but if they come in & make it an uptempo offense and by the way at this stage who the hell wouldn’t?!

But that would dramatically changes our Defensive dynamic and we probably won’t have nearly as staunch and dominating a D!

Last edited:

The obvious answer is no. His number one priority is taking care of Brian. His number 2 priority is winning. He doesn't necessarily equate a strong offense with overall success on the field. I think that he's made all of this pretty clear through his words and his actions.

Of course not. He made it clear as day ~2018 that this team was his family & friends business and he had no intention of sacrificing that just for the sake of winning football games. He has only doubled-, tripled- and quadrupled-down on that since. Not sure why anyone would suspect otherwise…

You know, it’s funny you say that, and I’m not gonna argue about it I’m just gonna point out the obvious… Even if all that were true, it was only a “family and friend business” and that’s all he cared about…

We’re super lucky he’s a good enough coach that he still has won a shit ton of games… Not just anybody walks in Iowa city and has a 16th best winning percentage is the last 10 years of his 24 year career. That’s a big deal probably a net positive even despite the silliness you said!

Just sayin’

Last edited:
The obvious answer is no. His number one priority is taking care of Brian. His number 2 priority is winning. He doesn't necessarily equate a strong offense with overall success on the field. I think that he's made all of this pretty clear through his words and his actions.

Let me get this straight… You’re telling me that even though Brian is his number one priority, he still has been able to win the 16th most games in the country over the last 10 years… That’s nothing short of remarkable!!

As it turns out, we’re pretty damn lucky!

Let me get this straight… You’re telling me that even though Brian is his number one priority, he still has been able to win the 16th most games in the country over the last 10 years… That’s nothing short of remarkable!!

As it turns out, we’re pretty damn lucky!
Yes. You nailed it. And if you believe that I'm wrong, form an argument against it.

16th best winning percentage is the last 10 years…

Just sayin’
Yeah, this seems to be your typical go to.

Where does iowa rank in conference championships and NY6-level bowl wins the past 10 years? Probably pretty close to where they’ve finished in most offensive categories lately.

Just sayin’

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Yes. You nailed it. And if you believe that I'm wrong, form an argument against it.

Actually I made the only point I cared too…..we both know the offense is a major issue, but Id place the odds of the next coach improving in those numbers not even 50-50

Yeah, this seems to be your typical go to.

Where does iowa rank in conference championships and NY6-level bowl wins the past 10 years? Probably pretty close to where they’ve finished in most offensive categories lately.

Just sayin’

It’s an unrefutable go to, that’s why…and the NY-6 bowls and championships is also a small number…

What the OP doesn’t realize is some posters here truly believe the Iowa offense will produce top 5 results this season

It is 100% the O-line. Another thing besides the portal mistakes last year, is the Oline. It really is stupid that an Iowa team with KF & BF had a line THAT poor….

A semi-competent OL wins 2 more games without a doubt, probably 3!

That line was HORRIFIC!!! Worse than the QB actually and they were very bad themselves!

Reactions: Gogetr

How does that number compare to other schools and how does Iowa compare to other schools? More than ‘has to be’…. Genuinely curious.

1.3 Mil is not a top five salary, in 2020 it wouldn’t even rank in the top 10
This is not true. We are talking coordinators. Doing a quick google search on Offensive coordinators is runs $850K and up with some outliers of ones making ~$1.5 million or more.

For example not that the Univ of Florida is currently top in the nation but they pay their OC $1.00 million and that is the SEC where the highest paid coaches are. So I feel like spending $1.3 million on our position we should be able to hire someone better.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
This is not true. We are talking coordinators. Doing a quick google search on Offensive coordinators is runs $850K and up with some outliers of ones making ~$1.5 million or more.

For example not that the Univ of Florida is currently top in the nation but they pay their OC $1.00 million and that is the SEC where the highest paid coaches are. So I feel like spending $1.3 million on our position we should be able to hire someone better.

So 1.3 is in the neighborhood of the top overall coordinators I could find. Jim Leonard, for example, makes 1.5 million to find a OC who is in this ballpark of ability would be amazing.

Of course, the caveat would be that KF would have to give up complete control of the offenses to have a chance of landing anybody of that ilk, which is highly unlikely.

Sark made 2.5, the guy at Clemson over 2, Tenn OC made double what Bf makes. 1.3 is not top 5, USA Today and football,scoop both disprove this.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Sark made 2.5, the guy at Clemson over 2, Tenn OC made double what Bf makes. 1.3 is not top 5, USA Today and football,scoop both disprove this.
I just said there are outliers. The Oregon OC signed for $800K. Ole miss is $800K. Michigan OC was $900K.

Yea and you are combining qb coach salary with OC salary with BF and not the other schools, so Apples and oranges

Yea and you are combining qb coach salary with OC salary with BF and not the other schools, so Apples and oranges
We just added the QB coach for the first time this year. They had to hire an extra QB coach because BF has never coached QBs before. Again I feel like they could have used that $1.3 million on a coach that could be OC and QB coach all in one.

BF salary is 900k, so for every other OC salary you need to add the qb Salary for a fair comparison. He’s not top five in OC salary, that’s Bull

We just added the QB coach for the first time this year. They had to hire an extra QB coach because BF has never coached QBs before. Again I feel like they could have used that $1.3 million on a coach that could be OC and QB coach all in one.

His point is all the other big Time programs have paid analysts, some like Alabama a shit ton!

Budmeyer is not a coach.

I have never been able to articulate this in a manner that resonates, but here is why I’m not as mad at this as you guys…

The fact that our offense really seems to be keeping us from being a consistent top, 10 team is absolutely maddening I will not lie.

And yes, if Kirk Ferentz didn’t seem to be so stubborn and made a few tweaks, we should be able to fix it…

But here is where people don’t understand, and I apparently have not yet been able to explain it in a way that makes sense to them… There is no guarantee any other coach comes in here and has the great special-teams, the great defense, and then an adequate enough offense to do better!

Nothing in life is guaranteed, but I would almost guarantee you a new coach would have a much better offense but there’s no way to tell he’d have a good enough defense or special teams to make us have the 16th best winning percentage over the last 10 years…

so you guys look at the team ago geez, if we only had a better offense … Maybe we should fire Kirk Ferentz… I say if we do that, we now increase the probability that we won’t replace as well.

Even if we bring in a guy that puts together a top 50 offense and a top 50 defense does not in any way, shape or form mean we are still going to win at the same level we are now!

Again, I’m certain we’d have a better offense, I don’t think I’m gambling there at all but if they come in & make it an uptempo offense and by the way at this stage who the hell wouldn’t?!

But that would dramatically changes our Defensive dynamic and we probably won’t have nearly as staunch and dominating a D!
I firmly believe that kf has changed a lot from last season in order to improve the offense. Budmayr may just be what we've needed and he's going to have plenty of responsibilities but i for one want him as involved with the offense as possible.

o line is key to everything. Can’t run any type of offense successfully without a good o line. the offensive scheme is Actually becoming more popular with two tight end sets being run by Georgia and Oregon state and several other programs.

also need a few receivers, fcs portal grad transfers are a good place to find a polished reliable receiver, Mike leach was doing that.

when you look at really successful veteran coaches, their value is not so much in game day play calling, it’s program building, and that skill Doesn’t grow on trees. I’m a Mike leach fan and it’s why he was so good at building downtrodden programs into contenders at tt and WSU. He knew how to build a program every detail from the bottom up. It’s what KF is so good at.

you can’t just promote a special teams coach and expect him to replace KF, that’s a joke. Watch miss state after Leach is gone, they will fall,off a cliff.

Reactions: cmhawks99

And it is interesting we paid Ken O $700,000 for X number of years to be QB coach (really!?) while BF was OC… Then he left… now JB is here to be a “guide” for BF to learn how to be an OC… BF should be gone. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I firmly believe that kf has changed a lot from last season in order to improve the offense. Budmayr may just be what we've needed and he's going to have plenty of responsibilities but i for one want him as involved with the offense as possible.
How do you feel KF has changed?
Also Budmayr is limited and technically can't coach on the field.

How do you feel KF has changed?
Also Budmayr is limited and technically can't coach on the field.
Budmayr will be freed up soon enough. By spring practice i would expect. KF was being misleading when he said at the press conference we will be running the same offense. Technically he's right but that offense is being changed dramatically from previous seasons. Also his attacking the portal is a big change but the biggest is his stepping back from the offensive decisions being solely his. Cade is even being involved with offensive changes. But the proof is all just hyperbole until next season. I guarantee that Budmayr didn't get a new contract and raise of that magnitude to not be directly coaching players. Also the analysts are new to KF. First bringing in Budmayr and now an o line analyst. I've said in a couple threads about expecting as good an all around team as the 2002 squad. That's what i put at the top of KF's teams for all around team play. Also the offense is planning on working together to be much further along by fall camp than we usually see. I got bored last week, my mom is up over 90 pounds and i went to Iowa City to finish my move. I spent almost all my free time getting information that I've been missing for the last couple months. KF is extremely motivated and not to just save BF's reputation or coaching future. He wants a big title.

Reactions: hawkhorn
Budmayr will be freed up soon enough. By spring practice i would expect. KF was being misleading when he said at the press conference we will be running the same offense. Technically he's right but that offense is being changed dramatically from previous seasons. Also his attacking the portal is a big change but the biggest is his stepping back from the offensive decisions being solely his. Cade is even being involved with offensive changes. But the proof is all just hyperbole until next season. I guarantee that Budmayr didn't get a new contract and raise of that magnitude to not be directly coaching players. Also the analysts are new to KF. First bringing in Budmayr and now an o line analyst. I've said in a couple threads about expecting as good an all around team as the 2002 squad. That's what i put at the top of KF's teams for all around team play. Also the offense is planning on working together to be much further along by fall camp than we usually see. I got bored last week, my mom is up over 90 pounds and i went to Iowa City to finish my move. I spent almost all my free time getting information that I've been missing for the last couple months. KF is extremely motivated and not to just save BF's reputation or coaching future. He wants a big title.
I enjoy your optimism. Hopefully all of the things you are saying come to fruition. I am falling into the 'seeing is believing' camp. We were told that the offense was being simplified last spring, easier reads, less checks, allowing players to make plays and not be so restricted, Budmayr coming in to help with those changes. We saw how that worked out. Who was the OL analyst that has been brought in?

You’re pinning a lot of hope on a guy that was already around last year, fired as an OC at Colorado St, and produced modest passing game results at Wisconsin.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT