ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Coordinator/QB Transfer

Hawk Writer

All-Conference
Feb 6, 2012
In order to attract a solid QB via the transfer portal, Iowa needs to have a plan in place. What changes are taking place schematically? Will there be a change at offensive coordinator? How is the ineptitude of the offense being addressed? These questions need to be answered before you can pursue a QB in the portal. Meanwhile, everybody else that is in need of a QB lines up at the drive thru and Iowa has not entered the parking lot. Not a time to think you have time to fix a problem that has been center stage for everybody to see. Need urgency.........

I doubt BF gets fired. Barta doesn't have the stones. Best case scenario for Iowa is BF reads the room, and maybe takes an NFL Position coach position, but that won't happen until closer to January, which is problematic for attracting one of these transfer QB's.
I doubt any coach in America cares enough about what is being said on a Rivals fan board to allow it to influence his career decisions.

I doubt BF gets fired. Barta doesn't have the stones. Best case scenario for Iowa is BF reads the room, and maybe takes an NFL Position coach position, but that won't happen until closer to January, which is problematic for attracting one of these transfer QB's.
What sized stones does Barta really need to fire BF?

If BF returns as OC ticket sales will drop considerably. A mere 10% drop would mean a loss of $3.5 - $4 million in revenue. The email system at the U will likely crash and he will be fielding angry donor calls daily. He can explain all that to President Wilson, who will also be getting hundreds of calls and emails.

IMO, it would take courage that few men posses to NOT fire BF

Reactions: cmhawks99
In order to attract a solid QB via the transfer portal, Iowa needs to have a plan in place. What changes are taking place schematically? Will there be a change at offensive coordinator? How is the ineptitude of the offense being addressed? These questions need to be answered before you can pursue a QB in the portal. Meanwhile, everybody else that is in need of a QB lines up at the drive thru and Iowa has not entered the parking lot. Not a time to think you have time to fix a problem that has been center stage for everybody to see. Need urgency.........
I really don't think Iowa will get a QB from the portal. Either because they don't want one or can't get one.

Given the lawsuit hanging over their heads, IMO no way is BF hireable at another college or NFL program, and that is separate and distinct item aside from his abysmal performance as OC.

If BF returns as OC ticket sales will drop considerably. A mere 10% drop would mean a loss of $3.5 - $4 million in revenue. The email system at the U will likely crash and he will be fielding angry donor calls daily. He can explain all that to President Wilson, who will also be getting hundreds of calls and emails.

History says this is Kirk's system since 1999. What if Brian would have made significant changes if it really was up to him? I guess Kirk killed his kid in that instance.

I doubt any coach in America cares enough about what is being said on a Rivals fan board to allow it to influence his career decisions.
What kind of resume can BF put in front of an NFL team? In reality, he doesn’t have much of one. A NFL team is not going to get excited about an OC who’s been in charge of one of the worst offenses in college FB during his tenure. As OL coach under Greg Davis, his OL had some very good individuals but collectively as a whole were mediocre at best. Just check out the statistics from the Greg Davis era. I doubt that you will be overly impressed.

If you have Brian's digits, dial him, if he answers go ahead and share your thoughts. Otherwise, your post here will not impact his choices. If Kirk and Brian decide they want another year, I doubt Barta or the University will object. They don't listen to or answer to the Rivals HR board subscribers.

This here is the issue at hand. Are decisions being made in the best interest of Brian Ferentz or Hawkeye football?

History says this is Kirk's system since 1999. What if Brian would have made significant changes if it really was up to him? I guess Kirk killed his kid in that instance.
Of course it's KF system - he's the HC.

But for discussion purposes, what kind of significant changes do you have in mind?

Run more, run less? Use a FB or don't? Multiple TE's or no TE's? Reverses? Trick plays? Go for it on 4th down? The Hawks have done all of these things.

What is it about KF's "system" that makes the offense suck so much? Is there any reason why an effective OC couldn't produce a Top 60 offense?

What kind of resume can BF put in front of an NFL team? In reality, he doesn’t have much of one. A NFL team is not going to get excited about an OC who’s been in charge of one of the worst offenses in college FB during his tenure. As OL coach under Greg Davis, his OL had some very good individuals but collectively as a whole were mediocre at best. Just check out the statistics from the Greg Davis era. I doubt that you will be overly impressed.
He has a solid reference from the Patriots head coach.

Seems like an easy fix: McNamara is looking for a new home. We work a swap for Barnett and BF to Michigan for their former starting QB.

Reactions: BigOHawk
Iowa offense is bad because as a whole the offensive line is sub standard a lot of years. 2020 the line was decent

You don't believe this do you? Agreed he is not desirable as an OC but is well thought of as a position coach. He would not have an issue.

That is what I see happening......IF Brian leaves/is fired, it will be too late to try and lure any of the decent transfers.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15 and thewop
Ideal would be to have Brian out the door before the bowl game. Bring in the new guy and let him get right to work, even if it looks like hell in the bowl game.

It won't happen, it'll be February before we have a new OC, or it'll be BF again...

I thought I read a rumor around here at one point or maybe heard it on a podcast that Brian actually wanted to leave last off-season. But Kirk talked him into another year. Let’s hope there’s some merit to that rumor.

That is what I see happening......IF Brian leaves/is fired, it will be too late to try and lure any of the decent transfers.
True. Unless if through back-channels a prospect is asked to wait and told it will all work itself out. The starting QB opportunity is all but a given for the right transfer. Just need to make sure a splash hire is made at OC.

Correct, but we have no idea what is being discussed internally between KF and Barta and staff.

They sure and the hell won't share it with all of the fans.

But the point is, he will have options.

Ticket sales need to drop. Season holders need to wait and only buy if significant changes are made. If the only change is the OL coach, boycott.

I thought I read a rumor around here at one point or maybe heard it on a podcast that Brian actually wanted to leave last off-season. But Kirk talked him into another year. Let’s hope there’s some merit to that rumor.
Heard something similar, but not bc KF talked him into it, but bc of the lawsuit overhanging. No NFL team wants him until that is settled/dismissed - especially after what happened with Doyle in Jacksonville.

Reactions: Hawk Writer
Heard something similar, but not bc KF talked him into it, but bc of the lawsuit overhanging. No NFL team wants him until that is settled/dismissed - especially after what happened with Doyle in Jacksonville.
Maybe BF lays low for a season or two until litigation works its way out.

Any other program, the OC would have been fired last season, let alone after this year's sh!t show.
But this isn't any other program.
The combination of an incompetent AD and an all powerful coach who is the father of the failed OC makes it unlike any other situation.
Within this landscape, the threshold is very, VERY high for change to occur. Not sure if even a 10-15% dropoff in ticket sales would do it.
If Bryan has an NFL job to go to and he's willing to take a pay cut then maybe that happens. But why choose that option as long as you can receive guaranteed money with no concern as to performance and essentially no chance you'll be fired by your dad?

At least you are consistant, the same hate, the same complaints, the same agenda. All the best, happy holidays! Oh, and one you may of forgotten. Go Hawks!

Reactions: cmhawks99
Barnes now following budmyr on Twitter… wouldn’t he have already had the guy on Twitter if he helped with QBs last year? Or is something in the works to get an actual QB coach… interesting

Please list you "reliable sources" for the ticket revenue prediction. Do you have friends in the ticket office?

If reading the room doesn't include knowing you have the worst offense in FBS then BF is as stupid as he looks......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT