ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Coordinator/QB Transfer

Not because of resume.

Because of Dad's connections + NFL is insiders coaching league with lots of kids of former coaches
Welcome to the real world. That happens in Football (and sports ... and real life) at all levels everywhere and been going that way forever.

But you would still be wrong.

You apparently don't remember how well regarded he was for the Patriots.

His TE's only set NFL records in receptions, yards, & TD's when he was their Coach and when he was OL Coach for Iowa they won the Joe Moore Award.

But that doesn't matter right because of his "Daddy" and his connections?

It's ok to not like BF as an OC (or person for whatever reason) but don't let is cloud your objectivity.

I doubt any coach in America cares enough about what is being said on a Rivals fan board to allow it to influence his career decisions.
What’s being said on here is what’s being thought in every living room that follows college football. I’m not saying fans know more than KF, but it’s obvious to every fan, recruit and apparently every receiver in the program as they’re all bailing. BF and this “system” are god awful and the numbers don’t lie. Kirk needs to wake up and deal with this while we have a decent QB on the roster. The fact that Bruce announced he was headed to the portal after we landed the mIchigan kid speaks volumes. It says the offensive system is broken regardless what of who’s under center from a receiver perspective. Brian needs to go ASAP.

What’s being said on here is what’s being thought in every living room that follows college football. I’m not saying fans know more than KF, but it’s obvious to every fan, recruit and apparently every receiver in the program as they’re all bailing. BF and this “system” are god awful and the numbers don’t lie. Kirk needs to wake up and deal with this while we have a decent QB on the roster. The fact that Bruce announced he was headed to the portal after we landed the mIchigan kid speaks volumes. It says the offensive system is broken regardless what of who’s under center from a receiver perspective. Brian needs to go ASAP.
You think Big Ten Championship Winning Quarterback Cade McNamara would choose Iowa without knowing what changes are coming?

I doubt BF gets fired. Barta doesn't have the stones. Best case scenario for Iowa is BF reads the room, and maybe takes an NFL Position coach position, but that won't happen until closer to January, which is problematic for attracting one of these transfer QB's.
Bf will not take the pay cut. The only thing KF could do is make BF an associate head coach whereBF could keep his pay. I truly don't see it any other way

You think Big Ten Championship Winning Quarterback Cade McNamara would choose Iowa without knowing what changes are coming?
I don’t think anyone could know what changes were coming. I think he thought he’d have at least one decent receiver. Unless they are privy to who may come into the portal, not sure he knows anything more than anyone else. We have seen a lot of OCs over the years and none of them have excelled under Kirk. The one who is least likely to push back has fared the worst.

I don’t think anyone could know what changes were coming. I think he thought he’d have at least one decent receiver. Unless they are privy to who may come into the portal, not sure he knows anything more than anyone else. We have seen a lot of OCs over the years and none of them have excelled under Kirk. The one who is least likely to push back has fared the worst.
Do you also think McNamara would choose Iowa over all but, like, three other schools in the country because he might have one decent receiver and a terrible offensive strategy for a QB to put up numbers?

Or r they leaving bc the writing is on the wall?? Were after better production.

Reactions: cmhawks99
In order to attract a solid QB via the transfer portal, Iowa needs to have a plan in place. What changes are taking place schematically? Will there be a change at offensive coordinator? How is the ineptitude of the offense being addressed? These questions need to be answered before you can pursue a QB in the portal. Meanwhile, everybody else that is in need of a QB lines up at the drive thru and Iowa has not entered the parking lot. Not a time to think you have time to fix a problem that has been center stage for everybody to see. Need urgency.........

Josh Gattis and Cade McNamara... Interesting.

Lots of names being mentioned out there, especially out for WR. Kirk & Co are moving Fast. I like it

Iowa offense is bad because as a whole the offensive line is sub standard a lot of years. 2020 the line was decent
It certainly has a major part in the pitiful numbers produced recently. No one person clusterf&^%ked the O into the abyss it's now in. I just hope the damage done by not addressing the issue the past few years isn't a long term rehab and scares needed recruits away from signing up.

Not in my living room. There are a lot of "safety in numbers" stat nerds and those who follow the various sports media pundits who feel that way, no doubt. What's being said by these people doesn't really matter. They are not employed as NCAA coaches. It amazes me how certain transfer portal followers are about developments in this first year of operation, have such strong opinions about what teams should do. Take away 4/5 Star transfers following their outgoing Blueblood coaches to the next their next Blue Blood team, who can claim they have gained a pure advantage with all of their TP activity. Iowa, in the last 7 years, with the same offensive system in place, won 12/8 games with CJB, 10 games last year, wins over Mn, Wis, NU, Purdue this year, so this has to be more a combination QB talent and young O-Line talent, with little WR depth after our Purdue departures, than due to our Offensive Philosophy.

There is much time to see how 2023 recruiting and TP sort out this year. With minimal contribution from Johnson and Bruce in 2022, you can't say we lost much with their departures, so numbers alone, we need an improved WR room no doubt, plus a few experienced Offensive Tackles. We will see how that pans out. And sadly you can't say we lost much is lost with the release of Alex or Gavin either. With a possible Standford back transfer, the RB room might be a significant net plus going into 2023 not counting the 2023 recruiting class. We have a solid TE room as well.

Last edited:
In order to attract a solid QB via the transfer portal, Iowa needs to have a plan in place. What changes are taking place schematically? Will there be a change at offensive coordinator? How is the ineptitude of the offense being addressed? These questions need to be answered before you can pursue a QB in the portal. Meanwhile, everybody else that is in need of a QB lines up at the drive thru and Iowa has not entered the parking lot. Not a time to think you have time to fix a problem that has been center stage for everybody to see. Need urgency.........

How do you feel now, was everything in place? Did the plan fit what you thought it needed to be?

Are we in the parking lot yet?

Reactions: savage84
Welcome to the real world. That happens in Football (and sports ... and real life) at all levels everywhere and been going that way forever.

His TE's only set NFL records in receptions, yards, & TD's when he was their Coach and when he was OL Coach for Iowa they won the Joe Moore Award.

But that doesn't matter right because of his "Daddy" and his connections?

It's ok to not like BF as an OC (or person for whatever reason) but don't let is cloud your objectivity.
Bajebus, another poster with Daddy issues. Spare me.

Reactions: cmhawks99
What sized stones does Barta really need to fire BF?

If BF returns as OC ticket sales will drop considerably. A mere 10% drop would mean a loss of $3.5 - $4 million in revenue. The email system at the U will likely crash and he will be fielding angry donor calls daily. He can explain all that to President Wilson, who will also be getting hundreds of calls and emails.

IMO, it would take courage that few men posses to NOT fire BF

Touché and that is the kind of higher level thinking that most on this board don’t posses…

And not at all advocating for BF to stay nor do I think you are but many of these guys act like adolescents and they say things like oh is your daddy KF or this guy doesn’t have the “stones” to do what “I” want him to do… I mean it’s just dumb shit!

Last edited:
If you have Brian's digits, dial him, if he answers go ahead and share your thoughts. Otherwise, your post here will not impact his choices. If Kirk and Brian decide they want another year, I doubt Barta or the University will object. They don't listen to or answer to the Rivals HR board subscribers.

Praise the Lord to that, now with that said I’m still hoping he leaves!

Ticket sales need to drop. Season holders need to wait and only buy if significant changes are made. If the only change is the OL coach, boycott.

Absolutely, that is great for the program in this money talk’s environment! LOL

You don't believe this do you? Agreed he is not desirable as an OC but is well thought of as a position coach. He would not have an issue.

He isn't to far thinking you know! The truth is these guys not only want Brian Ferentz gone they don’t want their ever to be any evidence out there that he was a good coach!

They all pretty consistently think we win football despite KF too…. They’re dumb and not just football dumb. I don’t think they understand how the world works hardly at all!

Last edited:
Any other program, the OC would have been fired last season, let alone after this year's sh!t show.
But this isn't any other program.
The combination of an incompetent AD and an all powerful coach who is the father of the failed OC makes it unlike any other situation.
Within this landscape, the threshold is very, VERY high for change to occur. Not sure if even a 10-15% dropoff in ticket sales would do it.
If Bryan has an NFL job to go to and he's willing to take a pay cut then maybe that happens. But why choose that option as long as you can receive guaranteed money with no concern as to performance and essentially no chance you'll be fired by your dad?

You gotta admit, it’s pretty weird how positively KF still appears to be to the outside world, but just not his fans… I have to confess it makes me chuckle!

If reading the room doesn't include knowing you have the worst offense in FBS then BF is as stupid as he looks......

As I’ve now said a couple times, it appears to me the perception of the program from the outside is much better than from the inside. Sad, isn’t it?!

Last edited:
Not in my living room. There are a lot of "safety in numbers" stat nerds and those who follow the various sports media pundits who feel that way, no doubt. What's being said by these people doesn't really matter. They are not employed as NCAA coaches. It amazes me how certain transfer portal followers are about developments in this first year of operation, have such strong opinions about what teams should do. Take away 4/5 Star transfers following their outgoing Blueblood coaches to the next their next Blue Blood team, who can claim they have gained a pure advantage with all of their TP activity. Iowa, in the last 7 years, with the same offensive system in place, won 12/8 games with CJB, 10 games last year, wins over Mn, Wis, NU, Purdue this year, so this has to be more a combination QB talent and young O-Line talent, with little WR depth after our Purdue departures, than due to our Offensive Philosophy.

There is much time to see how 2023 recruiting and TP sort out this year. With minimal contribution from Johnson and Bruce in 2022, you can't say we lost much with their departures, so numbers alone, we need an improved WR room no doubt, plus a few experienced Offensive Tackles. We will see how that pans out. And sadly you can't say we lost much is lost with the release of Alex or Gavin either. With a possible Standford back transfer, the RB room might be a significant net plus going into 2023 not counting the 2023 recruiting class. We have a solid TE room as well.

You are way too high level of a thinker to hang out on this board?!

Reactions: savage84
Uhhhh, so scary...thanks for stating the oh-so-very obvious. CFP playoffs, conference realignment, head coaching carosel around the country, Transfer Portal around the country, Recruiting (negative recruiting fueled by media and competing coaches), on and on. Do you honestly think people in this forum don't anticipate or expect change is coming...with a 66 yo head coach, X-player law suite, continued criticism of Nepotism, on and on and on.

Welcome to the real world. That happens in Football (and sports ... and real life) at all levels everywhere and been going that way foreve.
@HawkLogic is another in a semi-long line of Hawkeye haters, kind of like an abusive spouse. Hard to understand why he is a fan. Of Iowa and logic, because his isn’t very deep!

Last edited:

I’m thinking you must have meant living rooms in Ames. Once again, the outside world thinks more of our coach & program then the fans in some Iowa will living rooms sadly.

Bf will not take the pay cut. The only thing KF could do is make BF an associate head coach whereBF could keep his pay. I truly don't see it any other way

How the heck do “we” know he wouldn’t ?

Last edited:

Then, I guess what you’re saying is you don’t think much of the Cades’ intelligence because it was pretty stupid for him to come to Iowa lol

Reactions: Section25
Do you also think McNamara would choose Iowa over all but, like, three other schools in the country because he might have one decent receiver and a terrible offensive strategy for a QB to put up numbers?

Doesn’t make lots of sense when you say it out loud does it!

Reactions: washer

Josh Gattis and Cade McNamara... Interesting.

Lots of names being mentioned out there, especially out for WR. Kirk & Co are moving Fast. I like it

They aren’t moving fast, it’s a hallucination. We’ve been told by the loudmouths all year, hell for a couple years that Kirk is a dinosaur and is too loyal and doesn’t change anything….

I’m gonna tell you when they brought in McNamara I hadn’t been on the board for quite some time. I was shocked when my buddy reached out to me… I had let those fans even turn me negative!

Last edited:
In pure numbers and contributions, to be honest, we have not lost much with the departure of Johnson and Bruce. A whole lot of unrealized potential at best. These are players who either decided to leave before "the Michigan kid" announced his interest in Iowa, or noticed their playing time was being reduced due to other Receivers' abilities (Brecht, Vines, Bostick). I don't consider this "bailing".

Stats can always be made to say whatever you want them to. What I hear in "the news" so much lately is everything I learned really doesn't matter when it comes down to playing the game.

The only stat that matters in FB is W's. Some programs fire coaches with 11/12 wins a year without a conference championship and a berth in the CFP. Nebraska fired Bo Pelini averaging 9 to 10 game win's a year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT