ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive game plan vs PSU

A

anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

I generally love what BF has been doing with the offense. Going vertical, and they've all been SO close, has been awesome. Usually mixed things up well, many first-down passes, great stuff on third and fourth downs....

The one category we haven't seen yet is the trick play, and what a great opportunity to dust a few of those off Saturday night.

Let's entertain the crowd, delight the players, and shock PSU with a halfback pass, a good ole flea-flicker, a throwback to the QB, and cap it off with a hook-and-lateral from Easley to Wadley.

And I'd LOVE to see BF use one of those plays as the first offensive play of the game. I also wouldn't mind seeing Iowa go no-huddle to start the game. Again, excite the players and the crowd and disrupt PSU from the get-go.

Iowa has everything to gain and nothing to lose. The Hawkeyes have traditionally relied on the defense to win big games. Maybe Saturday night the Hawkeyes can unleash the offense and win a shootout. But no matter what, I just hope BF uses EVERY tool in the box Saturday night, including some trickeration.

I don't know about no huddle, but did you notice when we went up-tempo while pounding the rock in the second half vs. North Texas. I loved it!

Penn State will definitely try and be aggressive on third downs to give their offense more chances against our defense. So, I think our counter has to be hitting on some of those longer passes. And Stanley just has to keep laying them out there -- his receivers will learn to run harder to get under them.

Also, they're probably going to play short zones and make Stanley prove competent over the top. So I hope BF is ready to turn the intermediate passing game loose.

If I was game planning this one I'd look to make their LBs make plays. Leave the MLB unblocked and go hit the safety instead. Look for Wadley or Kelley-Martin to make one guy miss, and block a level above.

Our strongest package is 2 TE, 2WR and Wadley. I hope BF rides it til it breaks. I'm pretty sure given the extra adrenaline, we should be able to grind out 4 ypc. And that will open up seams for the TE, and space outside the hash marks for our WRs to operate.

Honestly what we did against North Texas in the 2nd half by running the ball and eating up the clock, maybe something to keep an eye on if our O Line wins the battle up front this weekend. Possibly the best way to stop Penn St offense is not to allow them to possess the ball much. I wish Butler wasn't hurt as I would think he could play a special role this weekend. I know this topic is offense related but I hope that our D Line can bat some balls down considering Mcsorley's height.

If you guys run shovel passes 90% of the time, you'll hold the ball for 50 minutes. Pitt ran it probably 20 times and got 4-7 yards every play. One of the most frustrating things I've ever watched.

It's a good play. Our interior line is very strong. I expect Brian to make use of your ends getting upfield.

If we can keep you're ends concerned about our RB as opposed to our QB, then we'll have time to throw the intermediate and deep routes -- which we'll need to beat you.

Honestly what we did against North Texas in the 2nd half by running the ball and eating up the clock, maybe something to keep an eye on if our O Line wins the battle up front this weekend. Possibly the best way to stop Penn St offense is not to allow them to possess the ball much. I wish Butler wasn't hurt as I would think he could play a special role this weekend. I know this topic is offense related but I hope that our D Line can bat some balls down considering Mcsorley's height.

Aside from REALLY special backs like Wadley and Greene, Iowa has shown it can put a lot of different guys at the position and do just fine if not better than fine: Coker, Robinson, Daniels, Young, Simms, and even a converted FB on a bad offense. I too miss Butler, but I'm just saying IKM and Young will be fine in backup duty.

ADVERTISEMENT