ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive line in two years

Iowa put guys in the league because they were great coming in.
They would have gotten to the league without Iowa
Adam Gettis, Ike Boettger, Alaric Jackson, James Ferentz, Ross Reynolds….the list of guys that were developed into NFL linemen is really long.

I’m down about the current state of the OL, but let’s be fair about the history there.

Michigan’s starting center this year was a Rimington finalist last year at Virginia I believe (pretty sure I read we offered him too). There are some really good players in there every year. To the OPs point, experience typically matters quite a bit in the trenches.
I don't disagree there are a few guys in the portal, and I think KF should use it. I don't know that he didn't this last year, he did with Coy Cronk, so has used the portal. Maybe the upgrades he wanted chose better opportunities.
I'm just saying the portal is not loaded with guys who are really going to make a difference. Most of the players in the portal are flawed and are in the portal for a reason.

Adam Gettis, Ike Boettger, Alaric Jackson, James Ferentz, Ross Reynolds….the list of guys that were developed into NFL linemen is really long.

I’m down about the current state of the OL, but let’s be fair about the history there.
They are young and we have at least two guys probably playing outside that should be inside. Once Proctor gets there and Lee has experience at center it will look a lot better.

Bert B built an identity in 2 years using the transfer portal.... GA, Bama, OSU have all taken advantage of it. The portal is not an end all be all, many of those kids are in there because they thought they were better than they are. Many kids that are in there, like 5th year guys such as Cronk, could atheist give us another options. If nothing else, bringing in new blood occasionally breeds healthy competition.
How's Mel Tucker's transfers doing this year?

We have a junior, three sophomores and a freshmen starting. Backups include a freshman, two sophomores and a junior. Not sure about Fagan. A Five star and four star next year coming in. In two years our line should be dominant, having Johnson and Patterson in the back field, look out.
Will KF then say "we won 10 games 2yrs ago?"

We have a junior, three sophomores and a freshmen starting. Backups include a freshman, two sophomores and a junior. Not sure about Fagan. A Five star and four star next year coming in. In two years our line should be dominant, having Johnson and Patterson in the back field, look out.
They have slow feet. They may well get bigger and stronger but they have slow feet. That. Isn’t. Good.

Ha ha ha …..sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats that are not mentally stable enough to handle a down year. We are very lucky here we don’t see many ….but when we do the short bus definitely unloads on this site for sure. This is the kind of crap that has put Nebraska where it is today but there are some people here that are not intelligent enoght to recognize it!

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
If it will be dominant in two years, that means next year should be very good. Too bad we have a horrible QB that will take every snap this year with no “groomed” QB to take over next year with a good OL.

God willing, Petras will not seek a Covid year. A true freshman is a better option than year six of Petras.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Ha ha ha …..sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats that are not mentally stable enough to handle a down year. We are very lucky here we don’t see many ….but when we do the short bus definitely unloads on this site for sure. This is the kind of crap that has put Nebraska where it is today but there are some people here that are not intelligent enoght to recognize it!
A normal down year - that would be fine. But a down year isn’t what’s going on imo. We have a very good to elite defense and special teams. We have a bad (down year) at OL. We have a historically bad QB that should have been replaced before the season even started if for no other reason that gaining experience for younger QBs that offer ZERO DOWNSIDE to Petras. Even if there is no upside results (let’s give boy genius the benefit of the doubt on that, although he probably doesn’t deserve it) - there is absolutely no way the on field results are worse with Padilla or Labas and both have potential development and upside for next year (to combine with a better OL).

In other words, any down year this year is totally self inflicted even with the current state of the roster.

This obsession with the transfer portal. Who were the O-lineman that transferred this offseason, that KF passed up on?
As stated in another post, I've been an SMU season ticket holder for 7 years. SMU using the portal as much as any team. These kids are transferring because they can't get playing time at their current school. Good luck getting them to buy into the concept of sacrificing for their teammates.
Coy Cronk just impressed you so much?
Yeah, the obsession some have with the "magical" Transfer Portal is just STUPID. Here's a clue - most of the players that enter the portal just couldn't cut it and get on the field regularly with their previous schools...... not all, but the vast majority. Why do some think that once they leave their previous schools, they somehow become super talented and everybody wants them.

Yes, Alabama, OSU and Georgia will bring in the occasional transfer - maybe 1 or 2 a year if they're good enough and needed - but those teams vastly rely on their recruiting and development. In contrast, look at MSU who has raided the Portal. How has that worked out for them?

Maybe so, but in two years this amazing offensive line will be paired with a different starting QB struggling to learn this super-complex offensive scheme. Once Spencer is gone we crumble back to square one.

Wait... AFTER Spencer is gone, we crumble back to square one? I'd hate to see what square one is, if we aren't already AT square one right now.

2TDs and 3INTs in 6 FULL games. Pretty confident that we can get a freaking true freshman to do that.

This obsession with the transfer portal. Who were the O-lineman that transferred this offseason, that KF passed up on?
As stated in another post, I've been an SMU season ticket holder for 7 years. SMU using the portal as much as any team. These kids are transferring because they can't get playing time at their current school. Good luck getting them to buy into the concept of sacrificing for their teammates.
do you really think there weren't better linemen in the portal than we have playing now??? thats nuts lol

This is complete and utter bullsh’t and you know it.

The talent is down now and the current coaches are awful, but you’re being disingenuous about Iowa’s OL development under KF overall.
I'm not gonna start the doyle debate, because we see plenty of guys on the team in great shape....but I do wonder how much doyle did there.

I mean we had quite a few "project" tight end and OL that needs some serious work done to their bodies.

That said, I do feel that the whole offense is so foked that it's hard to any player to do his job well right now.

I didn't follow all your convo, but when it comes to Iowa DBs getting drafted. Id 100% agree that they were smart to come play for phil! He's landed half the tatum woodson awards I believe, which is insanity!

In two years, Iowa will still be trying to figure out the best 5 midway through the season. Some things will never change.

Agreed. Whoever is suggesting that is a complete dunce.

Things happen ... no one could have projected that Kallenberger would leave before his SR. yr last year when he was going to be Starting OT. That Ince would leave when he was going to start this year as a SR. and Linderbaum was going to be so good when he moved from DL to OL that he would leave after JR. year.

Or that Dadikov wasn't going to play this year. A year ago, they might have thought Linderbaum, Ince, and Dadikov were going to start this year.

The OL is not good this year but the best players on the OL are the FR and Sophs and some highly regarded guys are coming in. Getting 1, maybe even 2, OL to come in for depth or to fill holes is fine but to those suggesting that they bring in 5+ are flat out ignorant.

Again, things happen but there is a good reason to be optimistic about the OL in the coming years.

But I have heard nothing but "gushing" remarks from KF relating to Barnett the OL coach. But I admit that at this stage I'm beginning to question a lot of Kirk's evaluations of both coaches and certain players. Too many people contiue to give him the benefit of the doubt in this regard.
I can get the young excuse with the OL if it was guys just getting dominated physically. That does happen sometimes. But what concerns me is the number of times the Iowa OL just leaves a guy totally unblocked or when two guys go to block one guy and leave another player unblocked. Michigan didn't bring a ton of pressure, but ran the same damn stunt with their DL the entire game and Iowa never adjusted. Where is the coaching/learning going on? Why so many pre-snap penalties on the OL?

We should be seeing improvement, but it's not happening. Players who are young and bad don't automatically become older and good.

I can get the young excuse with the OL if it was guys just getting dominated physically. That does happen sometimes. But what concerns me is the number of times the Iowa OL just leaves a guy totally unblocked or when two guys go to block one guy and leave another player unblocked. Michigan didn't bring a ton of pressure, but ran the same damn stunt with their DL the entire game and Iowa never adjusted. Where is the coaching/learning going on? Why so many pre-snap penalties on the OL?

We should be seeing improvement, but it's not happening. Players who are young and bad don't automatically become older and good.
You clearly are far more astute in your observations than most. So many here just look at the youth and use that as the excuse and believe all will be better eventually. They haven’t even begun to make the observations you have.

What’s missing in the program right now seems to be those fundamental basics aren’t as strong. Again, assuming it’s a combo of many things- none of which aren’t good.

You clearly are far more astute in your observations than most. So many here just look at the youth and use that as the excuse and believe all will be better eventually. They haven’t even begun to make the observations you have.

What’s missing in the program right now seems to be those fundamental basics aren’t as strong. Again, assuming it’s a combo of many things- none of which aren’t good.

I've mentioned several times the lack of lateral agility/movement.

Losing Ince was a really big deal. I don’t see many people talking about it. The injuries to Britt also hurt us. It definitely would have helped the interior of the line if we’d have had them available. Iowa can’t afford to not have the “good stories” that Ferentz likes to mention. We need those 4th and 5th year developmental guys to hit. I’m not sure why the tackles are so bad. Obviously, Plumb was a huge miss and Kolby is just getting abused when he goes to the outside. There’s a reason Wisconsin didn’t offer Plumb. Our offensive line hubris has gotten the best of us over the last few years.

Reactions: owenhawk

I don't know about astute, just observant. It is so shocking how fast the OL play has gone downhill. It is very concerning that the OL has looked pretty much confused the last 2 years. Linderbaum's greatness covered up a bit.

I don't know how this changes quickly as the issues seem to be systemic for the offense. Poorly coached, not very talented is a huge problem.

Wait... AFTER Spencer is gone, we crumble back to square one? I'd hate to see what square one is, if we aren't already AT square one right now.

2TDs and 3INTs in 6 FULL games. Pretty confident that we can get a freaking true freshman to do that.
I am excited about the quarterbacks coming in the next two classes. Both dual threat kids with good size. 2024 recruit from Florida has ran a 10.8, 100 meters already in high school. How refrehing would that be for hawkeye fans? Hopefully they stay committed. I would love to see a promising athlete at quarterback get a chance to play as a freshman,

Losing Ince was a really big deal. I don’t see many people talking about it. The injuries to Britt also hurt us. It definitely would have helped the interior of the line if we’d have had them available. Iowa can’t afford to not have the “good stories” that Ferentz likes to mention. We need those 4th and 5th year developmental guys to hit. I’m not sure why the tackles are so bad. Obviously, Plumb was a huge miss and Kolby is just getting abused when he goes to the outside. There’s a reason Wisconsin didn’t offer Plumb. Our offensive line hubris has gotten the best of us over the last few years.
Agreed - losing Ince and Britt this year was huge, as they likely would have settled in as starters (and they are experienced).

They are young and we have at least two guys probably playing outside that should be inside. Once Proctor gets there and Lee has experience at center it will look a lot better.

FFS! For the biggest Ferentz homer on this board, I would at least expect you to know who the players are. Logan Lee is a DT. Logan JONES Is the damned center. This is at least the third time I have seen you refer to "Lee" as the center.

According to Gunner they’re struggling just because they’re young.he assumes people like Jones at center will just become great because he’s young now.Guess what? He gets so dominated now because mechanically he looks like he may never be better than average.Linderbaum became great because he developed AND had talent- not everyone has immense talent.
Jones snapping hasn’t improved. It’s always a half beat off. It’s a bigger problem than they’ll publicly admit. And it’s about on 50% of the snaps.

Reactions: frydaze
According to PFF, our best OL Logan Jones is ranked #177 out of all centers. Even if you don’t believe in PFF, it’s pretty easy to tell that Colby is completely lost out there, we can’t consistently the ball well and we are one of the worst pass blocking OL’s in college. It doesn’t help that we have a statue back there but we also don’t do our QB’s any favors.

Our inability to run the ball puts us in 3rd and long situations where defenses can pin their ears back and we can’t slow down a pass rush or make defenses pay for blitzing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT