ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive line

vanhawkman

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2015
I know that Kirk will push his "don't panic" narrative and also stick with everything in place for whatever bowl invites us, but.....

There is no way on this earth to defend the line play, none. I don't know how many times I've heard announcers say that we're "young" at offensive line. Richman is in his 2nd year starting, as is Colby. Plumb and Dejong are also starters from last year as well. Those 4 started this game. It shows just how bad they have regressed, especially Colby as he was showing improvement towards the end of last year at RG.

The flat out missed blocks is also something I've never seen as a fan since the 80s (I'm sure I've missed some plays along the way). There is plenty of data to argue about firing Brian, but more is available to get rid of Barnett. Polasek, who had never coached the position ever is his career, showed he was better than this guy and could also recruit. Barnett is lucky we have X to have even thought we'd get Proctor in the door (after today, I think he's gone).

QBs, WRs, etc. can be said had their negatives for sure, but it starts up front and we are going to be struggling as long as this guy is running the room for our hog maulies. I know there's things to fix practically everywhere on our offense, but we don't progress without a somewhat competitive offensive line in the Big Ten.

Absolutely correct! Our QBs had to run for their lives all year long. The WRs often did not even have time to get downfield before a sack or other play stop occurred due to the line being a turnstile. RBs wish they had more open lanes.
Way too many missed blocks and lack of adjustments all year long by our o-line.

Wtf is going on here? Unbelievable.
image000000-01.jpg

The O line is where everything starts. Far too many big mistakes from the line all season. The question is how to fix it. Finding a younger guy that knows line play could upgrade that position coach, maybe.

The players need to take some responsibility. Need to get bigger, stronger and more aggressive. It is somehow hard to believe there is no better option than Plumb at RT. Hope that it's Proctor but, if not, the line will have a significant weakness until a right tackle emerges.

The center was bad. The wild snaps? The whiffs? That is a major problem, obviously. There's a 1500 yard back on that roster if the line significantly improves.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
The saddest part to me of that play is this was zone blocking 101. The OL were so focused on their individual zone assignments not a single one of them recognized the D or communicted where the pressure was coming from including the QB.

I am no longer a fan of the OL scheme. I haven't been for a long time now. Its a thing of the past and too complicated. If you watch the OL on this play you will see all of them maintaining their zone assignments regardless if anyone was lined up in their zone or not. Nebraska like most of our competition this year lined a rusher up outside the RT's zone knowing full well that the blocking scheme would need to be changed at the LOS if the RT was going to block him. The C and RG would then also need to cover the RT's inside zone. The QB also could have pulled in a TE to block the rusher and maintain the OL zones. However their was absolutely no communication yet again amongst any of them.

I will add that the OL isn't designed for a lineman to act independently. If Plumb would have blocked the outside rusher without communicating that he was leaving his zone assignment to do so Plumb would have left a giant hole on the interior right side that the RG wouldn't have known to fill.

The lack of communication this year on the OL and with the QB has been horrendous. The fact a guy like Plumb is still confused and not communicating this far into his Iowa career speaks to the problems with the Iowa system. Same goes for Petras and Padilla who have had plenty of time to learn how to organize and direct the OL. Again the system is designed to move as an entire group. The QB or C can't just tell 1 guy to change his assignment without it changing the entire OL's assignments. Its a lot for a QB or linemen to grasp. A lot smart D's or a smart D coordinator can exploit.

I know that Kirk will push his "don't panic" narrative and also stick with everything in place for whatever bowl invites us, but.....

There is no way on this earth to defend the line play, none. I don't know how many times I've heard announcers say that we're "young" at offensive line. Richman is in his 2nd year starting, as is Colby. Plumb and Dejong are also starters from last year as well. Those 4 started this game. It shows just how bad they have regressed, especially Colby as he was showing improvement towards the end of last year at RG.

The flat out missed blocks is also something I've never seen as a fan since the 80s (I'm sure I've missed some plays along the way). There is plenty of data to argue about firing Brian, but more is available to get rid of Barnett. Polasek, who had never coached the position ever is his career, showed he was better than this guy and could also recruit. Barnett is lucky we have X to have even thought we'd get Proctor in the door (after today, I think he's gone).

QBs, WRs, etc. can be said had their negatives for sure, but it starts up front and we are going to be struggling as long as this guy is running the room for our hog maulies. I know there's things to fix practically everywhere on our offense, but we don't progress without a somewhat competitive offensive line in the Big Ten.
Good points. OL play was horrendous. One play in particular saw Padilla scramble to his right and head toward the sideline with Nebraska guys running after him and ALL 5 of our linemen were jogging behind and not one of them was blocking ANYONE. Atrocious. Hit the portal for a minimum of 2 linemen.

After watching RT completely ignore outside rushers time after time, I am now thinking this 'complicated' offense is too much for most of these guys. Maybe they are just not too 'bright'???? So can't think on their own nor learn the system.
If they are that stupid it isn’t saying much for the University of Iowa.

• Haha
Reactions: FanOHawk
The saddest part to me of that play is this was zone blocking 101. The OL were so focused on their individual zone assignments not a single one of them recognized the D or communicted where the pressure was coming from including the QB.

I am no longer a fan of the OL scheme. I haven't been for a long time now. Its a thing of the past and too complicated. If you watch the OL on this play you will see all of them maintaining their zone assignments regardless if anyone was lined up in their zone or not. Nebraska like most of our competition this year lined a rusher up outside the RT's zone knowing full well that the blocking scheme would need to be changed at the LOS if the RT was going to block him. The C and RG would then also need to cover the RT's inside zone. The QB also could have pulled in a TE to block the rusher and maintain the OL zones. However their was absolutely no communication yet again amongst any of them.
Plumb can’t think to himself “empty back field who is going to block that guy?”

Plumb can’t think to himself “empty back field who is going to block that guy?”
Exactly. This is like stuff you learn day one of jr high football. There is no te to chip. No rb to pick him up. But our 5th yr sr doesn’t realize he needs to block the guy lined up on him and there is no one else to do so. Yet worst part is Kirk tries to defend this in post game and seems like blames Padilla more than Plumb.

KIRK FERENTZ: Missed blocks, some of that is protectionally, some things are on the quarterback to understand where guys are coming from. It depends how many guys we keep in protection. Is that what you're referring to, some of the pass stuff?

Q. There's the sack on Padilla where Plumb just didn't even touch the guy.

KIRK FERENTZ: He's blocking in right?

Q. There wasn't anybody in.

KIRK FERENTZ: My point is sometimes they rush six and we have five, then the quarterback has six. It's a little bit more complex than one guy typically. All that being said, I didn't think the line did a bad job quite frankly.

• Haha
Reactions: FanOHawk
The only thing I could think of was that Plumb really doesn't like Padilla. It couldn't have been an accident.
My only other thought is he had the play wrong and thought this was a play where the qb rolls to the left. But I would guess his assignment would be the same.

image000000-01.jpg

There’s two things here. Very obviously the OL.

But look at all that green in the middle of the field and in front of Lachey. Now look at Padilla and where he’s looking. He could have seen the defender coming right away and if he could read a defense.

Proper blocking and a QB who can read a defense and that is an easy first down pass all day every day.

But look at all that green in the middle of the field and in front of Lachey. Now look at Padilla and where he’s looking. He could have seen the defender coming right away and if he could read a defense.

Proper blocking and a QB who can read a defense and that is an easy first down pass all day every day.
He’s trying to go through his progressions, left to right due to his receivers lined up on that side of the field but had zero time to do so because, as we all know, Plumb didn’t block anyone. And if KF is going to be that obtuse and put it on Padilla, he is part of the problem and needs to retire. His offense is terrible.

He’s trying to go through his progressions, left to right due to his receivers lined up on that side of the field but had zero time to do so because, as we all know, Plumb didn’t block anyone. And if KF is going to be that obtuse and put it on Padilla, he is part of the problem and needs to retire. His offense is terrible.
He is, but will not retire or change anything of consequence, JMO

image000000-01.jpg
Makes me wonder if Jones made the wrong line call/shift and Padilla was supposed to move towards the protection. Otherwise a completely oblivious whiff.

As far as issues with the OL, this has been my problem for a long time. We produce great individual OL but often times have guys starting around them who are downright bad.

I think it starts with recruiting. Looking at classes that should have produced startling caliber upper classmen:
2017- Wirfs and Kallenberger. One home run and 1 bust. 0 contribution on this team
2018- Jenkins, Plumb, Ince and Linderbaum. One home run, one of our worst starting OL and 2 busts. Three of them aren’t even on the team.
2019- Miller, Endres, Fenske and Britt. 3 complete busts and 1 guy who was injured. So 0 contribution from this class as well.

If you look at 2020, which would be RS Soph or True Juniors, Elsbury and Volk are complete busts. Richman and Jones were recruited as DE’s.

I think a lack of being aggressive in the transfer portal and/or JUCO could also be criticized. They basically came into the season knowing their OL was full of upper classmen who aren’t good and underclassmen who are inexperienced.

Exactly. This is like stuff you learn day one of jr high football. There is no te to chip. No rb to pick him up. But our 5th yr sr doesn’t realize he needs to block the guy lined up on him and there is no one else to do so. Yet worst part is Kirk tries to defend this in post game and seems like blames Padilla more than Plumb.

KIRK FERENTZ: Missed blocks, some of that is protectionally, some things are on the quarterback to understand where guys are coming from. It depends how many guys we keep in protection. Is that what you're referring to, some of the pass stuff?

Q. There's the sack on Padilla where Plumb just didn't even touch the guy.

KIRK FERENTZ: He's blocking in right?

Q. There wasn't anybody in.

KIRK FERENTZ: My point is sometimes they rush six and we have five, then the quarterback has six. It's a little bit more complex than one guy typically. All that being said, I didn't think the line did a bad job quite frankly.
This is my point with how the OL system is junk and out of date. Plumb did everything the system coached him to do besides notify Padilla and Jones of the outside rusher. Then Padilla and Jones would have to change the entire OL's blocking assignments or pull in a TE. The Iowa system can't simply allow Plumb to go rogue and leave his zone to block the outside rusher. The Iowa system calls for a lot of communication and a lot of moving parts just to adjust for one guy. This is why Kirk is like well they blocked what they were supposed to block.

This is my point with how the OL system is junk and out of date. Plumb did everything the system coached him to do besides notify Padilla and Jones of the outside rusher. Then Padilla and Jones would have to change the entire OL's blocking assignments or pull in a TE. The Iowa system can't simply allow Plumb to go rogue and leave his zone to block the outside rusher. The Iowa system calls for a lot of communication and a lot of moving parts just to adjust for one guy. This is why Kirk is like well they blocked what they were supposed to block.
System assignment or not, there is absolutely nothing else for him to do here but stand there and block air. No blitzing LBs, no stunts, nobody near him. It's just unacceptable. Block someone, anyone. Find someone to block. It's not that difficult to recognize your QB is going to get smoked.

Except Lachey got jammed at the LOS then went straight vertical. Padilla had nowhere to go with the ball.

Barnett needs to be terminated, it starts there , They are His Guys for the last 2 Years and none have progressed , many have regressed and to keep throwing that oak tree Plumb out there says they either didnt develop a younger Guy, they have nobody better or they cant evaluate their own OL roster and all of the possibilities come down to the staff . Plumb has been awful for 2 years, attrocious is the better word . But Plumb is not alone of the stink train , Jones was awful at Center all Year , DeJong the same , Elsbury didnt take a step forward and truthfully Colby was better last Year . Barnett must go and Iowa needs a new QB Coach and OC as well if You truly want the offensive problems fixed . Transfer portal for 2 good OL and a QB and a WR are absolutely needed because Iowa loses a ton on defense and to assume Iowa will be as good on defense is not a given , Status Quo and Iowa might win 6 games next Year. Might.

System assignment or not, there is absolutely nothing else for him to do here but stand there and block air. No blitzing LBs, no stunts, nobody near him. It's just unacceptable. Block someone, anyone. Find someone to block. It's not that difficult to recognize your QB is going to get smoked.
Which is why Wisconsin and Minnesota have been producing better OL's. They allow their linemen to move more freely especially when nobody is lined up in your area. That play is a perfecct example of Iowa's poor system. The OL moved like an Atari game OL.

I think that a block has to be attempted to be counted as missed. Just standing there is spectating.

Reactions: MitchLL

It’s called a presnap read. Padilla’s initial read was very wrong. It’s something that Nate Stanley was great at.

I’m not saying anything about KF. Like it or not, the players are the ones that need to perform on game day. It is however the coaches job to prepare the players and it doesn’t look like there was much of that going on either.

Reactions: amahawk
Except Lachey got jammed at the LOS then went straight vertical. Padilla had nowhere to go with the ball.

He was jammed for literally a split second. It happens all the time. The picture shows very clearly he was able to get release from the LB on the inside; which is exactly what Lachey wanted. That is where the ball clearly needed to go.

He was jammed for literally a split second. It happens all the time. The picture shows very clearly he was able to get release from the LB on the inside; which is exactly what Lachey wanted. That is where the ball clearly needed to go.

By the time he had any separation, Padilla was on the ground. Now, if you want to make the point Padilla should have recognized what was coming, adjusted the protection, and had Lachey break in to the open middle, you would have a solid argument.

By the time he had any separation, Padilla was on the ground. Now, if you want to make the point Padilla should have recognized what was coming, adjusted the protection, and had Lachey break in to the open middle, you would have a solid argument.
OK I guess I need to post this again…

Where do you think those other things come from?

And like it or not, Plumb can recognize what’s happening or going to happen and make that adjustment himself.

ADVERTISEMENT