ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive line

I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, but isn't KF supposed to be some great offensive line guru? Could be wrong.

Reactions: amahawk
OK I guess I need to post this again…

Proper blocking and a QB who can read a defense and that is an easy first down pass all day every day.

Where do you think those other things come from?

And like it or not, Plumb can recognize what’s happening or going to happen and make that adjustment himself.
Nebraska was putting two men over Plumb and the inside man was engaging for second then backing out into coverage, allowing the outside man to go unblocked to the qb. Happened numerous times with Petras and Padilla so that’s on the coaches to correct that issue on the sideline and film room post each game. It’s on both coaches and players, this shouldn’t be a reoccurring issue in week 12 but is.

I know that Kirk will push his "don't panic" narrative and also stick with everything in place for whatever bowl invites us, but.....

There is no way on this earth to defend the line play, none. I don't know how many times I've heard announcers say that we're "young" at offensive line. Richman is in his 2nd year starting, as is Colby. Plumb and Dejong are also starters from last year as well. Those 4 started this game. It shows just how bad they have regressed, especially Colby as he was showing improvement towards the end of last year at RG.

The flat out missed blocks is also something I've never seen as a fan since the 80s (I'm sure I've missed some plays along the way). There is plenty of data to argue about firing Brian, but more is available to get rid of Barnett. Polasek, who had never coached the position ever is his career, showed he was better than this guy and could also recruit. Barnett is lucky we have X to have even thought we'd get Proctor in the door (after today, I think he's gone).

QBs, WRs, etc. can be said had their negatives for sure, but it starts up front and we are going to be struggling as long as this guy is running the room for our hog maulies. I know there's things to fix practically everywhere on our offense, but we don't progress without a somewhat competitive offensive line in the Big Ten.
This x 1,000,000,000,000.

Reactions: Hawkeyegeorge12
Where we gonna get 'em?
I'll rephrase it...those other ten guys aren't "starter material".

If the B1G West wasn't such dogshit, this Iowa team likely struggles to win 5 games.

Stats don't usually lie...this offense is high school level.

Wtf is going on here? Unbelievable.
image000000-01.jpg
Is Plumb OK? I started to wonder if he could turn his head, because he didn't on this play. I had to rewind this one and look a couple of times. One of the worst plays I've ever seen.

I know that Kirk will push his "don't panic" narrative and also stick with everything in place for whatever bowl invites us, but.....

There is no way on this earth to defend the line play, none. I don't know how many times I've heard announcers say that we're "young" at offensive line. Richman is in his 2nd year starting, as is Colby. Plumb and Dejong are also starters from last year as well. Those 4 started this game. It shows just how bad they have regressed, especially Colby as he was showing improvement towards the end of last year at RG.

The flat out missed blocks is also something I've never seen as a fan since the 80s (I'm sure I've missed some plays along the way). There is plenty of data to argue about firing Brian, but more is available to get rid of Barnett. Polasek, who had never coached the position ever is his career, showed he was better than this guy and could also recruit. Barnett is lucky we have X to have even thought we'd get Proctor in the door (after today, I think he's gone).

QBs, WRs, etc. can be said had their negatives for sure, but it starts up front and we are going to be struggling as long as this guy is running the room for our hog maulies. I know there's things to fix practically everywhere on our offense, but we don't progress without a somewhat competitive offensive line in the Big Ten.
Wah, wah, wah...nothing new here. You exaggerated the experience but that's just more of the same old, same old.
There are issues with the line that more experience will help. Richman was a stater because there was no one else and Colby started some games. Both were freshmen, Colby a true freshman. And these are the "experienced" guys you name? The guys making the line calls were first timers at that. The center (most important lineman, IMHO) was extremely inexperienced and probably shouldn't have been 1st string except the guy who was supposed to be snapping the ball (Myslinski) was injured. The only scholarship senior was Plumb, and he just never panned out. Who recruited him? Polasek.
Endres and Britt are the only scholarship juniors, and both have been injured frequently. Dejong earned a scholarship after walking on. The rest are freshmen or sophomores so yes, this is a young offensive line.

Does anyone know how Barnett is related to the ferentz family? Lol but seriously, gotta have some inside way to have been hired, I looked up his coaching history he isn’t really that qualified to have his job, not unqualified(I guess now he is) but just not who I would have imagined iowa would go after… so who gave him the nod?

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Media: "Have you seen improvement in the offense from week1 to week 12?"

Ferentz: "yeah, it's there."

Media should have asked, bluntly: "since Iowa will finish lower than last year in offensive production, how can you not make BIG changes to the staff?"

Reactions: ICHawk2440
Wah, wah, wah...nothing new here. You exaggerated the experience but that's just more of the same old, same old.
There are issues with the line that more experience will help. Richman was a stater because there was no one else and Colby started some games. Both were freshmen, Colby a true freshman. And these are the "experienced" guys you name? The guys making the line calls were first timers at that. The center (most important lineman, IMHO) was extremely inexperienced and probably shouldn't have been 1st string except the guy who was supposed to be snapping the ball (Myslinski) was injured. The only scholarship senior was Plumb, and he just never panned out. Who recruited him? Polasek.
Endres and Britt are the only scholarship juniors, and both have been injured frequently. Dejong earned a scholarship after walking on. The rest are freshmen or sophomores so yes, this is a young offensive line.
I'm afraid that we're far past the point of "experience" helping these guys; another trip around the sun isn't going to make them not miss assignments or get blown by like they're standing still. The OL needs a serious talent infusion; I'm hopeful that Proctor comes in and is a difference maker but even a 5* freshman is still a freshman (see: Xavier Nwankpa and AJ Epenesa).
I'm also hopeful that Justin Britt and David Davidkov can stay healthy but in Britt's case that's far from a guarantee. Can Myslinski finally contribute? He above all the others is a mystery to me. If he really was hurt all year then why was he listed as the backup all season long? And if he is healthy how is it that he can't beat out a converted DL when he's a former 4* recruit as a center?

Reactions: HawkFaninOK
Does anyone know how Barnett is related to the ferentz family? Lol but seriously, gotta have some inside way to have been hired, I looked up his coaching history he isn’t really that qualified to have his job, not unqualified(I guess now he is) but just not who I would have imagined iowa would go after… so who gave him the nod?
Well as I remember Hayden recommended him. And everybody said oh yeah great.

Barnett is a total feather merchant. As long as the big donations come in he will do what the big donors want and apparently they want Kirk. Don't ask me why. But the big money always makes the decisions and the big money wants Kirk.

Looks like you’re referring to the Iowa AD, Gary Barta. The question was referring to our OL coach, George Barnett.

Maybe a joke just sailed right over my head and/or my sarcasm meter needs some calibrating…

ADVERTISEMENT