ADVERTISEMENT

Offer to return to a previous employer with 23% pay bump and work from home.

So basically go for it.

tenor.gif

You might find it’s like being semi-retired.
So maybe I'll stop counting down to 58, then? That would be fantastic! My wife asked, "What happens when the contract ends in 8 years?" I'm like...I'll worry about that then...I'll only have 4 years left in the work force, so I could mitigate at Lowe's if I had to. LOL

(also, this contract isn't going to end in 8 years)

Reactions: Nipigu
So maybe I'll stop counting down to 58, then? That would be fantastic! My wife asked, "What happens when the contract ends in 8 years?" I'm like...I'll worry about that then...I'll only have 4 years left in the work force, so I could mitigate at Lowe's if I had to. LOL

(also, this contract isn't going to end in 8 years)

Perhaps you might not want to retire and give up the money. Or negotiate a part-time position. If you accept it I hope it’s all you hope it will be. Playing the devil’s advocate for a moment. I am self employed and single. I have no distractions at home with a wife or children. You have more considerations so weigh them all. And if you accept make yourself the best home office you can afford. You’ll spend a lot of time there.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
This. In my situation, I used to work in an office with people, but over years and years more people went remote until I was one of the few people coming into the office. It was a waste of a commute to sit alone at my computer. Eventually we went full permanent remote.

But the thing that drove me nuts when I was one of the few people in an office is that many people work from home pretty much blend their time. They might disappear for a few hours, then be back on at 7pm for a few hours. Well, when you're actually in an office, that shit is a real pain in the ass. I got real sick of sitting in my office at 6:30 waiting for someone to finish walking their dog so they could get me something I needed before I could leave and start my 40 minute commute. Meanwhile, my family is trying to keep dinner warm for me.

I really hate that. That's not me...whether home or office, there's an end to my day. It's always a bit crazy to me to see people answering emails and 9 or 10 tonight. That's fine if you want to get your work done that way, but I don't like being forced into being engaged with my email all day every day. I was very concerned if I ever went remote I'd lose the excuse that they sent it to me after I left.

So far, I've been pretty much able to hold the line and walk away from my email by 6 or 6:30. Of course, I'm not talking about an unwillingness to work late when a project demands it, or responding to an emergency. Everyone's got my cell phone so they can call me and I'll jump on something. I'm just talking about the normal day to day workload, I don't want to have to be checking my email at 9pm because somebody else was getting their lawn mowed before it rained.
I think this is a good post Lou. To me, this also explains why many millennials harp on "work life balance." Thirty years ago, one could leave the office and at least buy themselves some peace and quiet until the next day unless someone took the time to call their house phone. Now, with smartphones and laptops, many professional employees are expected to be on call 24/7. It can be very difficult, especially for younger employees, to enact the boundaries needed to let workers keep their personal time.

In the legal profession, people working at night seems pretty standard, especially among those with children. With billable hours requirements, there simply isn't a good way to get all the work done by 5 or 6 and shutdown for the day. Most with kids seem to go home to their kids and then end up back online to finish the evening.

Other things to consider...

Direct wire connection to your router as wifi can be flakey

May need to consider bumping up your home internet speed

Backup internet connection, you will have outages. I used my phone's mobile hotspot for two days during the derecho recovery. Even at 4G it worked beyond my expectations.

Other things to consider...

Direct wire connection to your router as wifi can be flakey

May need to consider bumping up your home internet speed

Backup internet connection, you will have outages. I used my phone's mobile hotspot for two days during the derecho recovery. Even at 4G it worked beyond my expectations.
Did all that when I worked for AT&T ;) ...and this is going back to AT&T to a completely different division, role, etc. (and you were spot on)

Mostly pros. You can quickly tackle chores like laundry while stepping away from the phone/computer. Spring is the most difficult season - nearly impossible to stay in the house after a long winter.

ADVERTISEMENT