ADVERTISEMENT

*****Offical 2023 Recruiting Thread*****

Has anyone listened to the new podcast. Dochterman says Purdue has been negative recruiting against Iowa. Apparently what they have been saying was way out of bounds and Fitz and Chryst got wind of it and informed the Iowa coaching staff.

Do you guys have any more details? This isn’t something we’ve heard on our end before so curious what happened.

Do you guys have any more details? This isn’t something we’ve heard on our end before so curious what happened.
Nothing specific was given. Just that Purdue coaches said something about the Iowa coaches that was bad enough both Fitzgerald and Chryst both mentioned something to the iowa staff. But it was Scott Dochterman mentioning it on a podcast. And if Scott is saying it publicly, something obviously got said. Scott definitely isn't one to mention something that big, unless he has pretty good evidence there is smoke.

If this is for real, I hope Iowa reports it to the B1G office.
5793e7ead03919329b3462b32c107fe2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4
Nothing specific was given. Just that Purdue coaches said something about the Iowa coaches that was bad enough both Fitzgerald and Chryst both mentioned something to the iowa staff. But it was Scott Dochterman mentioning it on a podcast. And if Scott is saying it publicly, something obviously got said. Scott definitely isn't one to mention something that big, unless he has pretty good evidence there is smoke.
You mean journalistic integrity? Didnt think that existed anymore! :)

Reactions: kceasthawk
You mean journalistic integrity? Didnt think that existed anymore! :)
what is that word for legal ethics, journalistic integrity, efficient bureaucrats? oxymora? I am not sophisticated enough to know, so I will just say "contradictions in terms" like other simple-minded farm boys.

D.J. Johnson went from Iowa to Purdue ... I'm sure that he aired some of Iowa's dirty laundry there (however biased it may have been).

Then, a few years later ... both Tracy and Jones are over there too. Both guys likely talking some crap about Copeland (I would guess) ... as well as the OC (Brian).

I remember Kirk mentioning how "together" the Hawk squad was ... and how good the guys were with one another ... even with some of the "spirited personalities." I was always under the impression that Charlie Jones may have been one of those "spirited personalities."

Anyhow, our O had a lot of issues last year ... issues at QB, issues on the OL, ... and, not shockingly, some consistency issues at WR. WRs are often the "highest maintenance" of football positions ... so from the perspective of our guys who went to Purdue ... they have been quite negative about our O ... but unduly throwing Copeland (among others) under the bus.

D.J. Johnson went from Iowa to Purdue ... I'm sure that he aired some of Iowa's dirty laundry there (however biased it may have been).

Then, a few years later ... both Tracy and Jones are over there too. Both guys likely talking some crap about Copeland (I would guess) ... as well as the OC (Brian).

I remember Kirk mentioning how "together" the Hawk squad was ... and how good the guys were with one another ... even with some of the "spirited personalities." I was always under the impression that Charlie Jones may have been one of those "spirited personalities."

Anyhow, our O had a lot of issues last year ... issues at QB, issues on the OL, ... and, not shockingly, some consistency issues at WR. WRs are often the "highest maintenance" of football positions ... so from the perspective of our guys who went to Purdue ... they have been quite negative about our O ... but unduly throwing Copeland (among others) under the bus.

You make some good points here. I have no idea what was said that caused these issues but I truly have respect for your program. I think you guys do things the right way and your consistency over the past several decades is admirable. I know I’m biased but I am a huge Brohm fan. I’ve heard people on this board and your 24/7 board call him slimy and classless which I completely disagree with tbh.

Charlie Jones gave us everything he had while playing for the Hawks. Inconceivable that people would start speculating that he is "unduly throwing people under the bus". Iowa's offense was an abomination last year and has been below average for a long time. The coaches deserve credit for getting any offensive skill player to commit. That also explains why no TEs have committed this year and they ended up with fall-backs last year.

I know I'll get blasted but how is Iowa not getting any commits from last weekend?
Kirk stated “that’s recruiting”. JK.
plenty of time and I’m hopeful it will round out nicely. In that top 20 area now with only 14 recruits I think so I would expect some more dominos to fall.

Reactions: 515Clone
Well according to some "5" committed on the visit.
Hmmm, people speculated that several gave their commitment, their highest ranked recruit ever went public with his commitment and you asked why they didn’t get any?
Sounds like they did so why did you ask? Perhaps you get blasted because you asked a poor question?

Reactions: nu2u
Well according to some "5" committed on the visit.
i was told 4 and that comes from a Former Hawk and relative. I was told all were imminent probably within 72 hours or so, He knows I follow recruiting , said Line mostly , no names given , 2 fit that criteria there may be 2 more but usually Kids announce as soon as they get the graphics, presser and other Coaches called. Who knows, Dang sure happy with the 2 that did go public tho . .

Reactions: 515Clone
Charlie Jones gave us everything he had while playing for the Hawks. Inconceivable that people would start speculating that he is "unduly throwing people under the bus". Iowa's offense was an abomination last year and has been below average for a long time. The coaches deserve credit for getting any offensive skill player to commit. That also explains why no TEs have committed this year and they ended up with fall-backs last year.
WR types are often prima donnas. It really would surprise you if a former Iowa WR complained to his new, more pass-heavy O about how Iowa WRs are misutilized or underutilized? You don't think that Purdue would use that on the recruiting trail?

You see ... the brand of "throwing under the bus" I anticipate needn't even ben be egregious ... but I'm sure it's being done.

How Purdue is using it in recruiting ... they're likely trying to get some milage off of it.

You make some good points here. I have no idea what was said that caused these issues but I truly have respect for your program. I think you guys do things the right way and your consistency over the past several decades is admirable. I know I’m biased but I am a huge Brohm fan. I’ve heard people on this board and your 24/7 board call him slimy and classless which I completely disagree with tbh.
I don't track Brohm enough to know one way or another if he is "slimy" ... consequently, it's foolish to resort to any sort of name-calling.

Given the recent smoke ... it definitely would appear that Brohm and Co aren't above negative recruiting. However, a lot of programs are notorious for their negative recruiting.

If you look at Purdue ... they finally appear as thought they're surging towards some consistency. It definitely won't hurt having such a veteran QB at the helm. Indiana had been drawing some hype in prior years ... but last season left them with a lot of egg on their faces. Consequently, it appears to me as though Purdue is trying to capitalize off of IU's misfortune. Iowa has been trying to make in-roads in Indiana for years ... and Coach Bell is continuing to have some success. It makes sense that Purdue would try to undermine Iowa (for their own advantage).

It's not something against the rules, more against unwritten rules/honor/etc, especially for old guard guys like KF, Fitz, and Chryst.

I've yelled from the rafters from day one that Pat Fitzgerald admires Kirk and Iowa football, despite all the folks that believe he hates us. And he'd be the first coach I'd pick in the conference if I had to choose one to replace the good Captain.

I've yelled from the rafters from day one that Pat Fitzgerald admires Kirk and Iowa football, despite all the folks that believe he hates us. And he'd be the first coach I'd pick in the conference if I had to choose one to replace the good Captain.
Yeah, Fitzpatrick loves Iowa!

😉

Shouldn't you be more worried about ISU's athletics future...and its guaranteed demise? Matt Campbell is about to be serving Bar-S hot dogs to boosters in the parking lot outside of the Jack Trice High School stadium.
Yeah, he's replacing Gary Lynch who will likely be in jail by next fall.

I don't track Brohm enough to know one way or another if he is "slimy" ... consequently, it's foolish to resort to any sort of name-calling.

Given the recent smoke ... it definitely would appear that Brohm and Co aren't above negative recruiting. However, a lot of programs are notorious for their negative recruiting.

If you look at Purdue ... they finally appear as thought they're surging towards some consistency. It definitely won't hurt having such a veteran QB at the helm. Indiana had been drawing some hype in prior years ... but last season left them with a lot of egg on their faces. Consequently, it appears to me as though Purdue is trying to capitalize off of IU's misfortune. Iowa has been trying to make in-roads in Indiana for years ... and Coach Bell is continuing to have some success. It makes sense that Purdue would try to undermine Iowa (for their own advantage).

I think you make some good points here. But the thing about us capitalizing off of IU’s misfortune is more about us simply having a competent head coach at the helm. I’d say IU capitalized on this when we had Hazell at the helm. But since Brohm took over, we’ve been much better at getting stud in-state guys compared to IU which is the norm historically. ND looms large but they only recruit a handful of in-state kids every year so it’s usually not a big deal tbh.

I think you make some good points here. But the thing about us capitalizing off of IU’s misfortune is more about us simply having a competent head coach at the helm. I’d say IU capitalized on this when we had Hazell at the helm. But since Brohm took over, we’ve been much better at getting stud in-state guys compared to IU which is the norm historically. ND looms large but they only recruit a handful of in-state kids every year so it’s usually not a big deal tbh.

Is negative recruiting a sign of competence?

Reactions: kceasthawk
I wouldn't go as far as that.

You can hate someone and still respect them.

I hate Wisconsin but respect how they run their program and the way they play.

Then again, maybe it's just a way to admire someone without admitting it to yourself.

Reactions: LGEND24 and BBHawk
For me the negative recruiting angle boils down to getting personal, Pointing out Iowa’s substandard implementation of WR’s in the passing offense is fair game, Denigrating members of the coaching staff is way out of bounds.
The other thing is that if Purdue has crossed a line in regard to negative recruiting with Iowa, You can likely assume they have done so with other schools as well ( Wisconsin, Northwestern) Hence the spreading of the word from their respective coaches.
Negative recruiting against Iowa hasn’t worked out well for Frost and PJ Fleck, Hopefully another one gets added to the list.

Reactions: kceasthawk and nu2u
Go ahead and yell, but nobody should be listening. It has been confirmed by CJ Bacher on a podcast that Fitz has a large amount of hatred for Iowa.

Reactions: BBHawk
Just because he admires KF and the Iowa program doesn’t mean he can’t hate it, too. They don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

i was told 4 and that comes from a Former Hawk and relative. I was told all were imminent probably within 72 hours or so, He knows I follow recruiting , said Line mostly , no names given , 2 fit that criteria there may be 2 more but usually Kids announce as soon as they get the graphics, presser and other Coaches called. Who knows, Dang sure happy with the 2 that did go public tho . .
I agree. Within a few days they got the 2 highest rated visitors and the big fish with proctor. Remember reading long article on Goodson last year. In it talked about how he ended up at Iowa and recruiting process. Basically said on his visit silent commit with staff and wanted to wait till a certain date for some reason to announce. But did so with staff because at the time had 1 spot for a rb and Brock was to visit next week. Lot of signs pointing well for merriweather and howland. We shall see. Could be some significance with wanting to announce on a certain date.

Also lot of doom and gloom when Iowa had no one commit after the big weekend last year and funny enough only one they ended up landing at the end who visited that wasn’t already a commit was Nwankpa so things worked out in the end.

I knew I'd get ridiculed but Purdue is skull effing Iowa.
Iowa has commitments from 5 players who had Purdue offers. This doesn’t include Proctor, who Purdue didn’t offer because they knew they had no chance.

Purdue has commitments from 3 players with Iowa offers. There are always going to be kids who fall for the scummy recruiting tactics of coaches like Ron Zook, Tim Brewster and Jeff Brohm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT