ADVERTISEMENT

**Official 2020 Green Bay Packers Super Bowl Run Thread**

Uwe.Blab

HR All-American
Dec 19, 2006
First things first-- draft and free agency.

Glaring needs at WR and ILB.

Draft is historically deep at WR and a version of Deebo Samuel would be huge, though there is a possible Tyreek Hill-type in Hamler from Penn State.

Hamler and the dude from CO are the two names that I have seen most mocked at 30, but also the WR from TCU (reagar) who is expected to run a 4.4 and because of depth also expected to be available.

Later rounds, I think KJ HIll from Ohio State may be a good one going under the radar-- remember Michael Thomas was a 2nd or 3rd rounder a few years back...

ILB will be tougher. I think Martinez will get too rich on the FA market. Burks is a bust. They need to make something happen at that position though.

They need some new OTs very soon, if not immediately- they are very long in the tooth..... Jimmy Graham has been a bust- should have kept Jared Cook. So need a real TE. Kevin King can get on the bus anytime.

They need some new OTs very soon, if not immediately- they are very long in the tooth..... Jimmy Graham has been a bust- should have kept Jared Cook. So need a real TE. Kevin King can get on the bus anytime.
They drafted a TE last year and yes, graham will be released for salary-cap purposes.

OT-- yes every team always needs to be solid there, but they see B. Turner as an option at RT--with Taylor sliding back in at LG and Elgton moving to RG-- OR still considering bulaga there, and then when Veldheer came in late he was more than solid. Bahktiari is in his prime on the other side and was an all pro this year.

King-- yeah he had some rough games but they are worse without him. ILB is a much more pressing problem than the secondary.

In regards to TE, tit depends what they think they have in Sternberger. He was injured most of the season so hopefully he comes back and amounts to something.
They need WR's badly. I saw a stat that GB WR's had a total of 9 receptions where they gain yards after contact. And 3 of those 9 were from Jake Kumerow who only had 12 catches all year. There were 18 WR's who had more than GB did in total. Pitiful.
I think Rodgers still has a few good years left in him, but he needs people to pass to.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

0b025687db0cbd868cf9d9a74e304ddc.gif

Defensive line.

linebackers and safeties are overrated in this era of the nfl.

give me Dline and CBs all day.

safeties use to be the guys to physically destroy exposed receivers. Can’t do that anymore.

In regards to TE, tit depends what they think they have in Sternberger. He was injured most of the season so hopefully he comes back and amounts to something.
They need WR's badly. I saw a stat that GB WR's had a total of 9 receptions where they gain yards after contact. And 3 of those 9 were from Jake Kumerow who only had 12 catches all year. There were 18 WR's who had more than GB did in total. Pitiful.
I think Rodgers still has a few good years left in him, but he needs people to pass to.
Didn't realize Sternberger was hurt- prob why he didn't do mucho_O

well, they will probably add another TE but I expect J. Stern to become a real part of the offense.

WR-- yes, they need them badly.
Thoughts on WHO? I actually didn't watch Penn St play this year but Hamler, the TCU guy and the CO guy are the ones i have seen them taking in mock drafts.

Problem with that is you have to be pretty good to come in as a rookie and make a big difference.

Problem with that is you have to be pretty good to come in as a rookie and make a big difference.
That could be said for any position, but I feel like on the offensive side of the ball you see more WR's come into the league as rookies and make a difference than you do any other position (save maybe special teams).

First things first-- draft and free agency.

Glaring needs at WR and ILB.

Draft is historically deep at WR and a version of Deebo Samuel would be huge, though there is a possible Tyreek Hill-type in Hamler from Penn State.

Hamler and the dude from CO are the two names that I have seen most mocked at 30, but also the WR from TCU (reagar) who is expected to run a 4.4 and because of depth also expected to be available.

Later rounds, I think KJ HIll from Ohio State may be a good one going under the radar-- remember Michael Thomas was a 2nd or 3rd rounder a few years back...

ILB will be tougher. I think Martinez will get too rich on the FA market. Burks is a bust. They need to make something happen at that position though.

Hammler is possibly like Tyreek Hill?

If that's remotely true, then I need to quit drinking.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
That could be said for any position, but I feel like on the offensive side of the ball you see more WR's come into the league as rookies and make a difference than you do any other position (save maybe special teams).
That would be running backs. I would love to have a rookie WR come in and make an impact but it will take someone special-- mental toughness in addition to the physical talent-- to make that adjustment. Really, WRs who come in right away and put up consistent numbers are rare.

CBS mock today has DL from TCU-- Ross Blalock-- taken by the Pack at 30.

I think building in the trenches is a good idea but i do not know if they need to do this in round 1-- unless they find a way to sign a better ILB and good WR in free agency AND this guy is a monster.

NFL.com 3 rounder has

K. Murry-- OK ILB
Reager-- TCU WR (2nd round, a lot of people have him going in the 1st to Green Bay so this would be a significant drop)
Ben Bartch-- OT from....St. John's. That's a basketball school in NY, right?

acmepackingcompany.com article on 'draft crushes'. So many WRs out there, i think they would take Murray if he fell, and then go WR in the 2nd. And still add one in FA.

Ken McKain – Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma
Solid in pass coverage and excellent against the run. Has unparalleled play diagnostics coupled with great athleticism and aggressiveness to read and blow up plays before they develop. Murray is physical and has good technique shedding blockers allowing him to operate effectively even with sub par defensive line play in front of him. He also functions as a high level pass rusher from inside or outside and that would add an additional layer of unpredictability to Mike Pettine’s defense. He could take Green Bay’s defense from good to great.

Shawn Wagner – Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU
I’ll admit that I had not paid a lot of attention to Reagor until recently, but he’s quickly become one of the more intriguing prospects to me in a solid first-round receiving group this year. To me, Reagor is a bit underrated and can offer Green Bay a little bit of everything. He’s not the biggest receiver nor is he the fastest, but he can still stretch the field and win contested jump-balls. His hands and route-running particularly stand out to me and it doesn’t hurt that Reagor is a proven and valuable college return man coming out of TCU. Tyler Ervin helped the Packers in that regard late in the season, but Reagor’s presence would almost instantly pencil him into a contributing role for Green Bay. I will be interested in how Reagor times at the Combine in terms of his explosiveness compared to other receivers in the class, but I see a lot of traits that would help the Packers offense in ways it lacked last season. He could be lined up in the slot or on the outside and quickly emerge as a viable option alongside Davante Adams.

Paul Noonan – Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
I’m probably going to write a more detailed post on this, but I’ve been working on some statistical identifiers and they love Tua. Since Tua has medical concerns around his hip, I think he may fall, and if he falls to Green Bay at some point, they should grab him.

The short, walkthrough version is as follows. I’ve been adapting my QBOPS stat to college football. I did this because according to stat nerds like Josh Hermsmeyer, the best predictor of NFL success for QBs is Completion Percentage over Expected (CPOE), but CPOE is not publicly available for college players and is therefore useless. Fortunately, even though it’s simpler and not quite as accurate, QBOPS is a decent proxy, especially if you weigh completion percentage higher than I do for pros. CPOE rightly identified Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray as potentially good to great NFL QBs, and so does QBOPS.

This year QBOPS loves Joe Burrow, but that’s not surprising as everyone loves Joe Burrow. Burrow’s .450 QBOBP is the highest I’ve seen and unprecedented for a QB with a .600+ QBSLG. It loves Tua almost as much.

Since the 2016 season he has the 2nd highest QBOPS+ of any QB outside of Baker Mayfield’s 2017 campaign, and almost every major conference QB with at least a .420 OBP and a .600 SLG was a decent NFL QB. Tua is .421/.773, which puts him on par or better than Mayfield and Murray recently, and RG3 and Andrew Luck in the past.

Tua isn’t a secret any more than Burrow is and he may not get past the Dolphins at 5, but there are enough questions around him to make a Rodgers-esque draft plunge possible. If it happens, the Packers should do what they did last time.

Peter Bukowski – Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU
Before I studied this receiver class, I was with Shawn, and Reagor still has my heart. It’s just that I love someone else more. I’m sorry Jalen, it’s not you. It’s me. My favorite potential move this offseason for the Packers would be to trade for Robert Woods. At least until I studied Jefferson, who profiles as 21-year-old Woods with reliability underneath, route running, and run-after-the-catch ability. He turned into Joe Burrow’s go-to receiver in LSU’s biggest games and shows enough juice to give any team a versatile receiver.

The gap between Jefferson and someone like Jerry Jeudy is minimal and for me, he’s a better prospect than someone like Henry Ruggs III who will almost assuredly go before him. It’s not just for the Packers, Jefferson would help any NFL, but as a bigger slot who can play outside as well, run jet sweeps, take screens, and still hit shot plays, Jefferson profiles as the ideal fit for the Packers offense, particularly if they can find a deep threat receiver in free agency.

Jon Meerdink – Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama
There seems to be no reasonable scenario where Jeudy is on the board at 30, but most of the crushes in my life have included an aspect of unreasonableness. But that notwithstanding: I love watching Jerry Jeudy play football.

It’s really cool to see players who understand how all the pieces fit together. The truly great players know how to make plays by being in the right place at the right time, and Jeudy seems to magnify his already excellent route running skills with a keen understanding of where he can make the biggest impact within the context of a given play.

Will that skill translate to the NFL without overwhelming athleticism? I think there’s reason to be skeptical, but that’s not stopping me from loving what Jeudy does with and without the ball in his hands.

Jonathan Barnett – Sage Surratt
Partially just trying to find a different name than already named, but in my search I found my true draft love. Maybe I exaggerate. Either way, Surratt stands out to me in a few big areas. He is a great route runner. That is huge for the Packers. I think that gives him a big leg up on other options. Davante Adams kills people with route running and Surratt worked his way open in college with his ability to be precise.

The other aspect I love is his play after catching the ball. LaFleur runs a lot of short routes and timing to go along with play action. Surratt is big and he reads a field well. Once he has the ball he makes good cuts, moves laterally without losing speed and gets to space. He is also a physical player and fights through contact.

Couple places to go with players who are good, but this is a draft crush article. I love the competitiveness and the physicality he brings.

Tex Western – KJ Hamler, WR, Penn State
While the Packers have size and at least some speed at the wide receiver position, what they lack is a shifty player for the slot. Perhaps no player fits that description better in this draft class than Hamler, the former Penn State Nittany Lion. And yet he’s capable of being so much more than just a slot receiver.

Hamler reminds me of a cross between two players who have carved out very different roles in the NFL: DeSean Jackson and Taylor Gabriel. At about 5-foot-9 and 176 pounds, Hamler fits in nicely in between the two NFL receivers, with Jackson going 5-foot-10 and 169 pounds and Gabriel entering the league at 5-foot-7, 167.

Hamler shows the skills that made both of these players successful in the NFL. Jackson is a pure deep threat that belies his small stature, thanks mainly to his 4.35 speed and great ball-tracking ability. Meanwhile, Gabriel’s shiftiness makes him more adept at working near the line of scrimmage as well as the middle of the field. Hamler displayed all of those traits in Happy Valley and he should post one of the most impressive wide receiver workouts at this year’s combine. Oh, and adding in his return ability is just an added bonus.

I’m not necessarily advocating for taking Hamler with the 30th pick, but I think he could be a perfect fit for what the Packers and Matt LaFleur need on offense. Remember, LaFleur worked on the 2016 offense that used Gabriel in both the big-play threat and slot receiver roles, and Hamler can be all that and more in the right scenario. If the Packers decide to move back out of the first round to pick up some second-day picks, I would be thrilled with Hamler as an early second-rounder. If he fell to 62 overall, I

NFL.com 3 rounder has

K. Murry-- OK ILB
Reager-- TCU WR (2nd round, a lot of people have him going in the 1st to Green Bay so this would be a significant drop)
Ben Bartch-- OT from....St. John's. That's a basketball school in NY, right?
Murray is Martinez 2.0. I don’t like the idea of drafting a LB in round one, one that can’t cover receivers, and more importantly a defensive player from a conference that doesn’t play defense.
I have seen mocks with Reagor going in round one.
St Johns is also a school in Minnesota. No idea who that guy is or what St. John’s he plays for.

Murray is Martinez 2.0. I don’t like the idea of drafting a LB in round one, one that can’t cover receivers, and more importantly a defensive player from a conference that doesn’t play defense.
I have seen mocks with Reagor going in round one.
St Johns is also a school in Minnesota. No idea who that guy is or what St. John’s he plays for.
I have the same reservations regarding murray. i think he is probably better (faster) than blake but would still be a glaring weakness in coverage and would be exploited. hoping for a shot at someone in free agency.

ADVERTISEMENT