ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official AP #26 IOWA (20-9) vs AP #1 UConn (26-1) Sweet 16 Game Thread*****

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Line: CONN -15.0
O/U: 156
Venue: Alamo Dome
TV: ABC
Time: 12:00 pm CT

Based on the O/U. are we looking at an 86-70 type game?

Can UConn hold the Hawks to the 70's?

Iowa is DEAD LAST in the country in DEFENSE (points per game allowed).

Iowa needs to value the ball & limit turnovers. And if Iowa gets killed on the boards, they will have no chance against the #1 team in the country.

GO HAWKS!!!

Exa7UkfVcAELvRn

Last edited:
True, but run and gun has worked well during the season.
Ok, "well" resulted in a 5 seed. If they weren't so god-awful defensively maybe our women would've been higher seeded and therefore NOT found themselves matched up against the #1 team in the universe right now.

That being said, happy for them getting this experience again. Even if they get stomped this afternoon, Caitlin will be even hungrier next year.

Getting to the Sweet 16 may just become the annual expectation for this program - which would be awesome!

Last edited:
Wasn’t this year really supposed to be a rebuilding/retooling year for the women? If taken in this context I believe reaching the sweet sixteen is a helluva accomplishment, Yup the team has flaws but the future looks very good. Chances of winning today are minimal, I hope they play well!

It's always a great experience for an Iowa team to go up against the top team in the country. Just can't remember how many times Iowa men's teams played a number 1 team and came away with all that experience and how it translated to improving next years team.

Reactions: Scott559
Wasn’t this year really supposed to be a rebuilding/retooling year for the women? If taken in this context I believe reaching the sweet sixteen is a helluva accomplishment, Yup the team has flaws but the future looks very good. Chances of winning today are minimal, I hope they play well!
I agree being in the Sweet 16 in consecutive seasons is huge for this program! Super proud of this team no matter what happens. We made it to the Big Ten championship game and the Sweet 16 during a rebuilding year!

I agree being in the Sweet 16 in consecutive seasons is huge for this program! Super proud of this team no matter what happens. We made it to the Big Ten championship game and the Sweet 16 during a rebuilding year!

Preseason, if I had told you the men are gonna get blown out in the Round of 32 and the Iowa women are going to blow out their opponent to reach the Sweet 16, you would have mocked me.

Bluder has done a helluva job

It will be interesting to see what this game on ABC does for the Iowa program, if anything

Will top players want to come play with Clark?

Line: CONN -15.0
O/U: 156
Venue: Alamo Dome
TV: ABC
Time: 12:00 pm CT

Based on the O/U. are we looking at an 86-70 type game?

Can UConn hold the Hawks to the 70's?

Iowa is DEAD LAST in the country in DEFENSE (points per game allowed).

Iowa needs to value the ball & limit turnovers. And if Iowa gets killed on the boards, they will have no chance against the #1 team in the country.

GO HAWKS!!!

Exa7UkfVcAELvRn

I'm all in on this one today. Go Hawks!

Preseason, if I had told you the men are gonna get blown out in the Round of 32 and the Iowa women are going to blow out their opponent to reach the Sweet 16, you would have mocked me.

It will be interesting to see what this game on ABC does for the Iowa program, if anything

I really hope this boosts recruiting for us and we get more 5-stars wanting to play for Iowa. Caitlin is the one to change this program like how Sabrina changed Oregon.

If they stay within 6-10 points in this game you would have to consider it a great effort for this team! Stranger things have happened. If UCONN has an off shooting day you never know...

Reactions: Franisdaman
Ok, "well" resulted in a 5 seed. If they weren't so god-awful defensively maybe our women would've been higher seeded and therefore NOT found themselves matched up against the #1 team in the universe right now.

That being said, happy for them getting this experience again. Even if they get stomped this afternoon, Caitlin will be even hungrier next year.

Getting to the Sweet 16 may just become the annual expectation for this program - which would be awesome!
We were not that great earlier- got better as season went on. 5 seed was high but given since we may have ended up in top three in league by the end. Now we might be too two

But it may be two years for us to have women’s scholarships open

I don't understand how both Iowa basketball teams can be so awful at defense.
The women's game doesn't have the advanced stats like the men's side does with Ken Pomeroy and Bart Torvik producing data on their own, at least that I'm aware of. My guess is the Iowa women wouldn't be last in the nation in adjusted defensive efficiency. They wouldn't be very good, but probably not last. They are last in raw points per game allowed because a) they are bad defensively, b) they play fast; c) there are some good offensive teams in the Big 10. More possessions = more points allowed.

Iowa does allow opponents to shoot 45% from the field, which is high. but this Iowa team is really good offensively. Shoot 52% from the field, 40% from 3-point.

As to why they are bad defensively, I suppose a combination of things. They aren't particularly tall, fast, or jump very well. All things that help you play better defense. When I watch, they do play hard but just can't really compete athletically when trying to rebound or stay in front of the other team.

Reactions: AMAYS
To truly take the next step, we need 2 more athletic players on the wing with length. Look at the Maryland’s, Baylor’s, South Carolina’s , etc. They have athletes and length at all positions. Clark can only take us so far. She’s absolutely amazing, and Czinano (sp) is really good as well but when we play these top teams it’s just a mismatch. I can’t believe top players wouldn’t want to come play with Clark. She’s ridiculous.

The women's game doesn't have the advanced stats like the men's side does with Ken Pomeroy and Bart Torvik producing data on their own, at least that I'm aware of. My guess is the Iowa women wouldn't be last in the nation in adjusted defensive efficiency. They wouldn't be very good, but probably not last. They are last in raw points per game allowed because a) they are bad defensively, b) they play fast; c) there are some good offensive teams in the Big 10. More possessions = more points allowed.
Your instincts are right, but herhoopstats.com does have modern/advanced stats. Iowa's defensive rating is 93.1, which ranks 177th out of 343.

I don't understand how both Iowa basketball teams can be so awful at defense.
Obviously if you score quickly the other team is going to have a lot more scoring opportunities. Would like to know where we rank in opponents‘ points/possession.

To truly take the next step, we need 2 more athletic players on the wing with length. Look at the Maryland’s, Baylor’s, South Carolina’s , etc. They have athletes and length at all positions. Clark can only take us so far. She’s absolutely amazing, and Czinano (sp) is really good as well but when we play these top teams it’s just a mismatch. I can’t believe top players wouldn’t want to come play with Clark. She’s ridiculous.
This is the perfect oppurtunity for any recruits out there to get a look. Pitter Patter.

These officials are not off to a good start.........how do you not call a) the obvious travel b) the push off on Gabby Marshall??

Lots of contact allowed so far. Plus their height is killing us on the boards. The center just reaches over our players to get the board.

Having said that, lots of nerves by both teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT