ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Cardinals 2018 Thread***

rk#5

HR All-American
Oct 24, 2002
Dell Rapids, SD
Figured we might as well get a discussion going on the Cardinals. I'm sure there are not as many Cardinal fans here as Cubs, but there has to be some. Easy answers for 2018: pitching and power bat. Would like to see Hosmer and bring in Holland as the closer.

Figured we might as well get a discussion going on the Cardinals. I'm sure there are not as many Cardinal fans here as Cubs, but there has to be some. Easy answers for 2018: pitching and power bat. Would like to see Hosmer and bring in Holland as the closer.
55302665.jpg

Reactions: HIWB
Hoping they can get Hickey as a pitching coach, but since the Cubs fired Bosio I get the feeling he may be headed there due to his history with Madden. Lot of teams interested in him.

Hoping they can get Hickey as a pitching coach, but since the Cubs fired Bosio I get the feeling he may be headed there due to his history with Madden. Lot of teams interested in him.

From the Sun-Times article I posted in the Cubs 2018 thread, it sounds like Bosio might be headed to the Cards.

Bringing Oquendo back as 3rd base coach. Thank God! Just having him around should improve defense and baseball IQ.

Willie McGee coming on as Major League coach. Not sure what that is or in what capacity. What kind of coaching experience does he have? I don't know.

**Edit** since 2013 he's been a special assistant to GM working with minor league outfielders

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_hc7hkvtk15hp5
Bringing Oquendo back as 3rd base coach. Thank God! Just having him around should improve defense and baseball IQ.

Willie McGee coming on as Major League coach. Not sure what that is or in what capacity. What kind of coaching experience does he have? I don't know.

**Edit** since 2013 he's been a special assistant to GM working with minor league outfielders
Agree on Oquendo. He is such a respected coach and great teacher of the game. Plus the players know (or new guys will quickly learn) that you do things the right way from the first day of spring training camp through the last day of the season/post season.

I'm torn on Oquendo returning, cause he'll no doubt make Matheny look like a genius and we'll never get rid of the Little League Wonder. Funny how much dumber Matheny got once Oquendo was gone...

My personal hope is Matheny just got put on notice that his mind-numbing game management ain't gonna be put up with any longer.

As for the front office, they got their work cut out for them. The Cards have a load of rule 5 decisions to make and there's no way they can keep them all - and they stand to lose a lot of guys who can stick on ML rosters unfortunately.

Then hopefully Mo can figure out how to trade from the surplus of 15 or so outfielders he has and turn that into a MOO bat they so desperately need. Then maybe he can turn to figuring out how to patch together some sort of bullpen out of the disaster last year turned out to be.

They made a trade AFTER 8/31...that's how bad it got.

Holland will be a great start. I wouldn't mind them figuring out a way to keep Nicasio and Duke too. Problem is, you can't dip your toes there and keep Lynn...and they can replace Lynn from within easier.

Cards ain't signing Hosmer unless they trade Carpenter. It's that simple.

I see the Marlins and St. Louis hooking up on a big time trade for Miami OF's and Cards kids galore...I just don't want St. Louis giving away the farm in pitching prospects galore like I'm afraid they're going to do.

They trade away Weaver or Reyes I'm gonna be pissed even if they get Stanton back.

Lastly...wtf to do with Wainwright. I wish Adam would just say f it, I'll go to the bullpen for one last go-round and if I suck...retire.

If I'm Mathney, I'm just saying scoreboard. In 6 years his average finish is 1.7 th place, higher than almost anyone who has managed at least 5 years. He has a higher win % than Maddon, Dusty, Bochy, Girardi, LaRussa, Mattingly or Francona. Postseason disappointment, yes but he's never had a stable of all stars to work with. Without knowing for sure, I'd say he endured more pitchers with TJ surgery than most, plus WainO's achilles rupture. Game management? Well everyone can question their manager when he loses. I question some of Maddon's moves not only this year but last year when they did win. A loss in game seven last year would have been clearly on Joe.

We have no feared 3 and 4 hitters like Bryant/Rizzo. Carpenter who was once a reliable contact hitter has suffered injuries or played hurt for the last 2 seasons. Same with Wong. I'm ready to give up on him, almost.

Clearly rebuilding is in order but unlike the Cubs we haven't finished in last for 5 straight years to get better picks. We have continued to grind with just above average players and usually just 2 real good starters.

I agree that Waino may need to go to the pen and I think he would if asked. Back to the future ( '06 ). I've been a Cards fan for 50 years and with the possible exception of Musial, I consider Waino the greatest Cardinal of all time, because of the way he has conducted himself on and off the field despite all the injuries he has had to endure. Great human being.

Holland will be a great start. I wouldn't mind them figuring out a way to keep Nicasio and Duke too. Problem is, you can't dip your toes there and keep Lynn...and they can replace Lynn from within easier.

I wouldn't mind trying Wacha in the bullpen. He rarely could get through 6 innings but has nasty stuff. Can hit 97-98 with a plus change up. I would like to see what he could do giving it his all in just 1 or 2 innings.

Holland and Nicasio would really help but don't forget about Tyler Lyons either. He was great down the stretch. Those three would be a great start to a much improved pen.

Reactions: JWolf74
St. Louis is an example of a great MLB city. They have
good tradition with the Cardinals including some classy
Hall of Famers. Fans show up every year whether the
team is in contention or not for a divisional titie

Unfortunately, St. Louis could not support an NBA team
and they moved to Atlanta. St. Louis also has had a
difficult time keeping an NFL team. The latest one moved
back to L.A.

I wouldn't mind trying Wacha in the bullpen. He rarely could get through 6 innings but has nasty stuff. Can hit 97-98 with a plus change up. I would like to see what he could do giving it his all in just 1 or 2 innings.

Holland and Nicasio would really help but don't forget about Tyler Lyons either. He was great down the stretch. Those three would be a great start to a much improved pen.

I am not a Cardinals fan, but I am convinced that Michael Wacha could be a multi-inning star out of the bullpen. He is usually very good the first time through the order, but is very bad the third time through. Plus, he seems to have a chronic shoulder issue that fortunately did not flare up this year, but in all likelihood will prevent him from throwing 200 innings in a season.

He has a nasty fastball/change combo and could probably sit at 99 MPH out of the pen.

Starters only need six innings now or haven't you heard? Kind of interesting to watch Houston win with just 2 pitchers in game seven. BTW Wacha's sister is married to former Iowa basketball player, James Moses. Wacha was born in Iowa City but grew up in Texas.

They would need to get another starter then...I like the idea because I agree I think he could be damn good. I just don't know if you can go with a rotation of Martinez, Wainwright, Reyes, Weaver, and Flaherty? I still think they make a run for Hosmer or Moustakas

Very surprised the cardinals are looking at bosio. His rep doesn’t seem to match the cards needs.

Cardinals hire Mike Maddux as pitching coach. This, along with Oquendo coming back and the hiring of McGee, makes me happy.
Great additions to the coaching staff. I really like the Maddux move. He comes with a ton of experience which should really help the young pitchers in the rotation.

Cardinals looking to trade for impact bat, sign reliever
Rather than signing a slugger off the free-agent market, the Cardinals "believe their best bet" is to trade for an impact hitter, according to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

MLB Network Insider Peter Gammons reported earlier in the weekend on GammonsDaily.com that St. Louis is willing to trade "one of their best young pitchers" for Marlins right fielder Giancarlo Stanton, who Miami is reportedly looking to deal. Goold also reports the Cardinals plan to discuss acquiring Stanton and possibly center fielder Christian Yelich during the offseason.

Goold adds he expects St. Louis to pursue both a setup man and closer in free agency and reports the club has reached out to a few relief pitchers on the open market this weekend.

Short on roster space ahead of December's Rule 5 Draft, Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak told Goold the club is considering, "moving two roster players for one," in order to make additional room for a potential trade for a reliever. "We have to be open to try," Mozeliak said.

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/news/art...sue-giancarlo-stanton-trade/?topicId=27118406

Not sure how I feel about committing that much money, but he is an impact bat that would help. It all depends on what the Marlins would want in return

I'm all in for going after Stanton because the Cards definitely need an impact bat in the middle of the order but I saw a tweet saying the Cards may be willing to part with Carlos Martinez in a trade. I don't know how good the source is or if the tweet was very reliable but Martinez is one of very few I wouldn't want the Cardinals to part with. He is young with way too much proven talent.

The way we go through TJ surgery with pitchers, I don't know how we could part with Martinez. We have more outfielders than anything. I know we need a real bat at the 3 or 4 spot but this is too much money in my book. I don't want to see us languish in last place for five years to get draft picks like the Cubs did, but better relief pitching would have won the division this year with what we had.

Stanton would give the Cardinals a booming bat in
the middle of the lineup. He would help the Cards
beat the Cubs more often. Hopefully, Stanton
comes to St. Louis and gets them back in the
playoffs.

Lots of dead money at the end of that Stanton deal. Would be very un cardinal like to make that deal.

The GM’s are meeting in Orlando this week. I remain unconvinced the Cubs will unload Heyward, but a trade for a pitcher may happen this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT