ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Cardinals 2018 Thread***

Check my spotrac.com link above. Your link shows the Cubs paying every penny for Hamels and Murphy this season - which forgets that the Rangers and Nats paid for the first 2/3+ of the season before those players even joined the Cubs, plus the Rangers sent $10M with Hamels to cover the buyout for his option year in 2019. That alone invalidates the Baseball Reference page, which is simply a list of players and their contracts, not an attempt to show what the Cubs are on the hook for.

Murphy 3-3 tonight. Yeah, but his fielding...

From your link

* - This is not intended as an accurate payroll accounting for current. Trades are not prorated, new debuts are not added, incentives are not included.
All salary values are VERY unofficial.

Hell they even bolded very for you. Good work.
This was already debunked, keep up....

Still in the market for Bryce Harper? I watched Bader throw him out at home tonight when he tried to score from second with 2 outs on a sinking liner that Bader dove for, trapped but got up and threw a strike to the plate and got the lazy Harper by 4 steps. Watch on MLB premier plays I'm sure.

So they didn't beat Scherzer, got it! Cub$ payroll has exploded with their latest hires, now second only to the Red Sox.

Red Sox @ 240.4 Million
Cub$ @ 239 Million
Cards @ 150 Million
Brewers @ 121 Million
Reds @ 97 Million
Pirates @ 79 Million

Question is how is the Central even a race given the $$$$ disparity? 2 X the Brewers, 3 X the Pirates, 90 million more than the Cards. Is there a 90 million dollar closer out there? Chapman......Bueller......anyone?

Yikes, Cardinals spend $30M more than the Brewers to be looking up at them in the standings, not a good look

Thought I'd bring this back. I sort of stopped paying as close attention to El Birdos recently.

It appears Adam Wainwright's stopper performance has righted the ship, and they appear to have caught Atlanta at home and at the right time.

Playoffs still in play...keep it up, Cards!

Not as bad as the Cub$ having a razor a thin lead over two teams they out spend by a combined 200 million. The Dodger money is finally kicking in I see.

Patently false: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

Cubs are only spending $30M more than the Cardinals this year ($193M to $163M). The Cardinals are out-spending the Brewers by more than $55M.

1 Boston Red Sox $228,333,860
2 San Francisco Giants $205,640,348
3 Los Angeles Dodgers $196,582,045
4 Chicago Cubs $193,286,303
5 Washington Nationals $181,182,609
6 New York Yankees $179,598,151
7 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $173,784,989
8 St. Louis Cardinals $163,731,301
9 Houston Astros $161,628,706
10 Seattle Mariners $160,918,827

LEAGUE AVERAGE $138,568,219

22 Milwaukee Brewers $107,132,01623

notthisshitagain.jpg

Yes, now I remember. It was this crappy argument in this thread why I stopped reading it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWolf74
This James feller, while I appreciate the enthusiasm, needs to take a few plays off.

I simply don't give too much of a crap about who spends what. I've seen rich teams land in last place and cheap teams win, sometimes big.

In the end a franchise lives and dies by how many kids they turn into bona fide good MLB players.

Tell James he’s making a fool of himself

I made a semi-deep dive on salaries I believe in the Cubs thread a few months back. Both teams spent a lot of shitty money this year. Cubs are a bigger media city. They make more money, they can spend more. They've gotten a lot of value over so many cheap positional players, but the big bills are coming with those players soon. Meanwhile their minor league pitching development mostly sucks, which is probably not good considering pitching over time is getting to be ridiculous. FA pitching money can and does bite teams in the ass.

But the Cardinals aren't exactly cheapskates - we have no reason to poor boy it. We spent more than enough money on the team, and the new TV contract means we'll be roughly on par with the Cubs. We invest system-wise in pitching, the Cubs seem to with positionals. One can win doing either.

In the end, it's how smart teams spend their money that matters most combined with a producing system in today's model of running a franchise. You must do both. Show me a franchise that ain't producing year to year, and I'll show you a franchise that will lose big eventually.

But comparing...meh. I'd just rather care about how my team spends more than anything else. $160M give or take? Hell, we can win with that, and should be able to afford $200M in the near future.

I made a semi-deep dive on salaries I believe in the Cubs thread a few months back. Both teams spent a lot of shitty money this year. Cubs are a bigger media city. They make more money, they can spend more. They've gotten a lot of value over so many cheap positional players, but the big bills are coming with those players soon. Meanwhile their minor league pitching development mostly sucks, which is probably not good considering pitching over time is getting to be ridiculous. FA pitching money can and does bite teams in the ass.

But the Cardinals aren't exactly cheapskates - we have no reason to poor boy it. We spent more than enough money on the team, and the new TV contract means we'll be roughly on par with the Cubs. We invest system-wise in pitching, the Cubs seem to with positionals. One can win doing either.

In the end, it's how smart teams spend their money that matters most combined with a producing system in today's model of running a franchise. You must do both. Show me a franchise that ain't producing year to year, and I'll show you a franchise that will lose big eventually.

But comparing...meh. I'd just rather care about how my team spends more than anything else. $160M give or take? Hell, we can win with that, and should be able to afford $200M in the near future.

Spot on. Plus, I think there's an argument that if you have the means, you *should* do your best to be competitive. There will be ebbs and flows - you'll be cheaper when the team is younger and more expensive as the team gets older, but all these teams are owned by billionaires, so there's a basic level of spend that should be expected. I get that teams with better media markets and better TV deals have more resources and are more able to work through signings like Darvish, but teams should be spending money to try to win.

Bad base running, bad defense, no offense, walks galore. Good to see we're finishing the season as we started.

All that work to craw back in this thing, just to piss it down their leg.

Bad base running, bad defense, no offense, walks galore. Good to see we're finishing the season as we started.

All that work to craw back in this thing, just to piss it down their leg.

How do you trip and fall scoring the tying run?

How do you trip and fall scoring the tying run?
I get that he tripped as he was flying around the bag. The issue is he could have crawled back to 3rd as the catcher had no idea where he was. Instead, he gets up and just trots into a tag at home. I’ve never seen anything like it.

The last 3 games have looked like the early season Cardin. Disappointing is an understatement.

I get that he tripped as he was flying around the bag. The issue is he could have crawled back to 3rd as the catcher had no idea where he was. Instead, he gets up and just trots into a tag at home. I’ve never seen anything like it.

The last 3 games have looked like the early season Cardin. Disappointing is an understatement.

Easily could have made it back to 3rd. Strange.

Welp, if there ever was one single game to portray 2018 for the Cards, today was it.

Starter couldn't go deep and effective at same time, lineup could not get The Big Hit, defense shoddy at best, bullpen could not throw strikes.

In the end this was an 85-90 win team in March...and that's what we are. Kudos to the Cubs and Brewers, they were the better teams this year.

The four NL playoff teams are all showing today that they are more deserving than the Cardinals. The FO needs to show this winter that they are committed to getting the Cardinals back to the top of their division. I don't think Mo and company survive a fourth year out of the playoffs.

It will be an interesting off season for sure. Just looking at position players, Yadi, Bader, and Ozuna are the only 3 I see as set in stone. Probably Marp well. There is some good talent on this team, but we can get better at almost ever position. If Wong hits like he did after Schildt took over, he'll be more than serviceable. He is already a gold glover.

I'm good with Gyorko and Munoz as your utility infielders. Or replace Jed with Wisdom. But we need a big corner bat. DeJong is too hit or miss. Fowler needs flipped for 2 minor leaguers and a bag of balls. I'd like to see Tyler O'neil stay up next year. It was nice to have Big City back for a short time, but I don't see him as a big piece moving forward.

I won't even get in to the pitching other than to say Cecil should be selling hot dogs next year.

For some reason, feeling better today about watching the playoffs. :)

Meh...pretty sure I'm going to root for the Brewers or Colorado no matter what the Cubs did the last 2 games, for no real reason other than they've never won it all before.

I do NOT want the Dodgers or Braves to win at all.

The AL, Oakland and especially Cleveland over the other 3 easily are fine by me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT