ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Cardinals 2018 Thread***

Wow. I just watched the Sportscenter special yesterday about him and his mom and damn near broke down in tears. Terrible.

On a lighter note, Romero is a beast.

Tonight is...predictable I guess. Cards never hit first time starters well, and Romero is filthy so far.

I just want Bowman to save the rest of the bullpen more than anything else, and nobody else getting hurt. Get out early, get some sleep, cause it's a day game tomorrow, then a flight to San Diego. A long-ass 40 or so hours.

I saw that Matt Adams had himself quite the week....... 7 homeruns in the last 7 games.

Didn't get to watch today but saw the score. Man is this team anemic on offense. Fowler, Carp, Dejong, Ozuna all disappointing so far. Molina was hitting well, now he's gone for awhile. Pham doing well but also banged up. Jose Martinez has been the most consistent and he plays the worst 1B I've seen.

Here's hoping they get some things figured out in San Diego.

Let down from the sweep of the Chicagos or we just can't hit or we're missing our two best players? I said before the home stand started that I'd be happy to go 5 - 2, buy now I changed my mind. Never thought the losses would come from the twinks.

Just when we think the Cardinals have climbed back into respectability, they lay 2 eggs against the lowly Twinkies...at home no less. Horrible offensive output and Martinez was crap today.

Just when we think the Cardinals have climbed back into respectability, they lay 2 eggs against the lowly Twinkies...at home no less. Horrible offensive output and Martinez was crap today.

Considering how the Cubs series went down, all the injuries to key players, the long-ass game Sunday night - then the abnormal Monday night-Tuesday series against pitchers they've rarely to never faced before without two of their best 3 offensive players...then hopping on a plane right after?

They were spent mentally and roster-wise after Sunday night's game. I thought they had a decent chance today...then Jose Martinez' glove made an appearance and the club folded it's tents for the charter.

I've said it before, I'll keep saying it. Jose Martinez should not be starting for any team at 1B. I don't care if he hits .350 - he's a terrible first baseman. He's really a DH, period.

Carlos Martinez to the 10 day DL. Lat strain. Let's hope they aren't slow rolling this like they do all injuries - but watching Wednesday's start, his worst since Opening Day by far...something wasn't right.

Can never, ever have enough pitching...

I'd bet this more or less means that Wainwright will indeed make starts again soon.

Mikolas continues to impress. Now 5-0. Keep rolling against the lowly Padres.

It was a Cards All-Star selection win. Mikolas and Pham.

I thought the signing of Mikolas was ridiculous given the farm depth, but damn glad I am wrong. The guy arguably is the "to this point" Cy Young winner in the NL.

Just hope Pham can hold it together this year with injuries. I'd almost claim he's more indispensable than Yadi.

Not the series I was hoping for after Friday's win. Saturday...this offense plainly gives away too many outs...Fowler and Carpenter really should not be starting and look washed up - note, not saying they ARE washed up, but they sure's hell look like they are.

That's a whole lot of salary to bench...or cut.

Then yesterday, where I get the feeling we saw Adam Wainwright start his last major league baseball game. It was hard to watch. The elbow just cannot hold up any more - and we cannot give away any more starts when we got oh...5 healthy guys with much better stuff waiting for a chance.

Usually with Mozeliak, Memorial Day is when he's made up his mind on players and changes begin occurring as to whose gonna play the rest of the way and who they will look for in trades.

There's changes coming...it'll be interesting to see what they are.

I was almost sick to my stomach watching Wong take 3 called strikes in a row to end the game with the bases loaded. Mostly anemic offense with sub .220 batting averages at about 4 - 5 spots. Ones that cost big money too. No need to spot them 4 runs when clearly Waino was not ready.

I was almost sick to my stomach watching Wong take 3 called strikes in a row to end the game with the bases loaded. Mostly anemic offense with sub .220 batting averages at about 4 - 5 spots. Ones that cost big money too. No need to spot them 4 runs when clearly Waino was not ready.

That AB by Wong was...infuriating.

The best left handed hitter on the team is Greg Garcia. That's almost impossible to believe, but currently it is true. All weekend, we saw Wong, Carpenter and Fowler take strike three. They're all so screwed up they are actually believing their best hope to get on base is to walk. That's how bad they are going.

Greg f'n Garcia.

Bader and Gyorko deserve to play. And while Wong's defense is about as good as it gets, Max Schrock continues to mash at AAA and Yairo Munoz also has started to hit.

We have options.

I dunno what John Mabry is doing currently, but there's really only 4 guys hitting out of 12 positional players. I'd say he's not doing his job very well.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Situations like Adam Wainwright's are the toughest for an organization to handle. Wainwright has been a tremendous pitcher for many years, and a total class act. I am a Cubs fan, and I think he's an extremely admirable guy.

But he clearly is a bad #5 starter at best now, and the Cards have some young guns who are already much better. I've watched him a couple of times this year and while he has not gotten "rocked" for 7 runs, it seems to be only a matter of time. His velocity and "stuff" are so diminished that he has no choice but to nibble, which leads to 6 walks in an 2 1/3. Even if he only gives up a couple of runs, he gets a bloated pitch count, and the bullpen will be taxed.

I think Cubs/Cards will go down to the end. Cardinals fans should be excited about their future pitching staff, and they should demand that the front office go all-in for a star position player this offseason.

Carpenter will hit better than he has, but you've probably seen the best of him. Dexter (who I loved as a Cub) appears to be cooked. He now hits like a pitcher from the RH side (taking away his SH ability), and might have the worst arm for a right fielder that I have seen at the MLB level.

The battles between the Cubs young position players versus the Cards young arms will be exciting over the years.

The Machado Sweepstakes will be interesting. Cards have the kids to do it (especially pitching and OF's), but traditionally don't trade their best prospects for guys they cannot re-sign. But many Cards fans will be angry if they don't pull it off somehow.

I think Carp and Fowler can get it going, but it's a matter of when and that means giving away games getting them there. Ozuna getting hot certainly would help things.

I just don't see Matheny outright benching them. They're not versatile enough to be bench players when you have a 13 man staff. That's why Bader and Gyorko are riding the pine as much as they are. They can play multiple positions.

I want to see Schrock and Garcia/Mercado/Arozarena/O'Neil get chances. I know you cannot predict that guys like Fowler/Carpenter are going to drop off like they have...but damn, they aren't hitting .150 seven weeks into the season. Our pitching is pretty good, but it ain't good enough to afford the lineup giving away 9 outs a game.

Might have the worst bullpen in the majors. The whole staying cheap and sign discarded vets to try and rejuvenate them isn't going to work anymore. Lightening in a bottle with neshek

Bullpen blows it, but 1 run isn't going to get it done.

In the last 15 games, we're 7-8 and have only scored more than 4 runs 3 times (and lost one of those). That's pathetic.

That game last night pizzed me off. Lousy hitting and lousy bullpen. Bad combo. Why can't they hit a guy who everyone else hits?

Berrios has a 1.04 WHIP. Not everyone else is hitting him, don't get too carried away there.

He's been either very good or very bad. Not much in between with Berrios this year.

Lance Lynn goes today - and has been utterly terrible. And we all know, if any team has a book on him it's St. Louis.

I would expect to most likely see Wong, Carpenter and Fowler and maybe even Garcia in the lineup - yet St. Louis has the worst hitting from the left side in MLB right now. I'm of the thought that if ever there was a game where Lynn starts looking like the Lance Lynn we knew and appreciated, it's today.

Carp and Fowler are statistically the worst hitters in MLB right now. And they are under contract through 2019 and 2021 respectively.

Weaver pitches a gem, and the bullpen sucks again.

But the hitting remains just this side of dog shit.

So, I hate to go all Hime Peterson here...but DeJong (broken hand) and Bowman (blisters) just went on the DL. 10 guys now on the DL, something like 7 in the last 9 days, 9 in the last 13.

I'm beginning to believe this just ain't our year.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Nice to wake up today and learn of the pummeling of Arrieta. Good to see the bats broke out in a big way. Never thought they'd get that game in with all of the rain in the area.

Only reason I'm up this early was to check the score after dozing off in the 5th up 5 - 0. I had dreamt the Phillies had came back to win 7 - 5 and it bugged me till I got up. So DeJong beaks in hand in that at bat where he never even tried to go to first after getting hit? That was strange. He clearly takes a direct hit to the hand and the umps no, hit the knob and DeJong says ok, if you say so.......

Only reason I'm up this early was to check the score after dozing off in the 5th up 5 - 0. I had dreamt the Phillies had came back to win 7 - 5 and it bugged me till I got up. So DeJong beaks in hand in that at bat where he never even tried to go to first after getting hit? That was strange. He clearly takes a direct hit to the hand and the umps no, hit the knob and DeJong says ok, if you say so.......

Believe I heard something to the effect he actually broke the pinkie, but they had to insert some sort of plate on the hand to allow the pinkie to heal better. I also heard on the broadcast they mentioned the phrase "missing significant amount of games".

Hands are so crucial to swinging the bat obviously, might not be as simple as "it's healed".

I guess we're gonna see how good Yairo Munoz really is. Who knows, we also may get to see Edmundo Sosa get the call at some point. All the other SS's on the 40 ain't really SS. Gyorko, Garcia...they can play SS, not sure you want them to play it a lot.

Munoz and Sosa have been SS most all their MiL careers.

One good thing that may come of Paul being out is more ABs for Gyorko. Definitely going to be sacrificing defense, though.

I'm fuggin sick of watching Greg Holland blow games. He's been terrible. His stuff has been mediocre, at best. Keep throwing cement mixers and praying they don't get crushed.

That game today was just plain frustrating. Another sloppy game and a game the Cards should have won. Martinez can't catch the ball at first for an inning ending dp, Holland continues to pitch like crap, and I have no idea what's wrong with Ozuna.

Ozuna probably needs a couple days off and a move in the line-up. No longer hits the ball to right field, rolls over to short half the time, and really not playing very good defense. That misplay off the wall in the 8th may have cost us that tying run. Frustrating.

With so many struggling at the plate, I don't understand how Mabry still has his job. Should have been gone years ago and this year might be his worst job as hitting coach yet.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT