ADVERTISEMENT

****OFFICIAL CR versus QC BASEBALL THROWDOWN THREAD***

Cedar Rapids Bunnies???? That’s only a small step up from Cedar Rapids Crying Ovaries.
I’m impressed you knew our All-American Girls Professional Baseball League team name!

BTW, they could have gone with Canaries, Rabbits, Rockets, Raiders, or Red Raiders.

A little off topic, but are they going back to the old playoff format this year or sticking with the 2 team, championship series post season like they had last year?

Seems like an appropriate place to shit talk. The only thing better about CR is that it is 30 minutes closer to iowa city.

And that's one of the worst things about Iowa City
Little brother syndrome is real. We've got better schools, a better economy, a better arena, better hockey, better restaurants, better pizza, better beer, and soon the better baseball team. You have a few MWL titles this decade, and a nice stadium.
Plus your Bison Bridge to Nowhere coming. But are your civic building on an ISLAND?...

... Only Cedar Rapids and Paris have that distinction. The only time the Quads have been compared to Paris, is by the smell of the residents on public transportation. You hate us, because you ain't us. It's on alright! ;)

Little brother syndrome is real. We've got better schools, a better economy, a better arena, better hockey, better restaurants, better pizza, better beer, and soon the better baseball team. You have a few MWL titles this decade, and a nice stadium.
Plus your Bison Bridge to Nowhere coming. But are your civic building on an ISLAND?...

... Only Cedar Rapids and Paris have that distinction. The only time the Quads have been compared to Paris, is by the smell of the residents on public transportation. You hate us, because you ain't us. It's on alright! ;)
I haven't lived in the QC for over 25 years, and I never lived there as an adult, but I will give it a try:
  • Imaginary bison bridge > real mount trashmore.
  • While having the albatross of QC-style pizza, QC does have happy joes, which is better than any pizza in CR, other than possibly Need.
  • Your civic buildings on an island present a parking nightmare, and I hate your kiosk parking. I would rather have a golf course on an island anyway - advantage Rock Island (its only advantage in anything).
  • In terms of smell, in Iowa only Sioux City on the wrong day, and hog confinement lots, smell worse.
With all of that said, eff Nebraska.

Last edited:
I haven't lived in the QC for over 25 years, and I never lived there as an adult, but I will give it a try:
  • Imaginary bison bridge > real mount trashmore.
  • While having the albatross of QC-style pizza, QC does have happy joes, which is better than any pizza in CR, other than possibly Need.
  • Your civic buildings on an island present a parking nightmare, and I hate your kiosk parking. I would rather have a golf course on an island anyway - advantage Rock Island (its only advantage in anything).
  • In terms of smell, in Iowa only Sioux City on the wrong day, and hog confinement lots, smell worse.
With all of that said, eff Nebraska.
The QC also has better beer.

Reactions: General Tso

Better arena my ass. The 5 seasons center or whatever the eff it's called is a pig under lipstick. And Aresenal Island could carpet bomb your puny island in a matter of seconds. Plus, how far do you have to drive to get Mary Jane legally? That's what I thought.

The QC also has better beer.

Lion Bridge, Thew (the original Toppling Goliath brewer), and Iowa Brewing are all top ten breweries in the state, with Millstream just outside of town. Lion Bridge's Comfy Pants Scottish Ale is the best beer brewed in the state, bar none.

PS - My whole post was meant to be Torbee bait. I was chumming the waters.

I honestly have no idea. Probably depends on how big of a radius you draw around each. Who claims big grove? Is that specific to iowa city?
The original Big Grove was in Solon, so half way between IC and CR. However, they now have a location in CR that brews in house.

I honestly have no idea. Probably depends on how big of a radius you draw around each. Who claims big grove? Is that specific to iowa city?
https://dailyiowan.com/2021/09/23/big-grove-brewery-expands-to-cedar-rapids-des-moines/

big grove will be coming to Cedar Rapids, so we can claim it.

also one other check in the column for Cedar Rapids….outside of Target, our grocery store shelves are fully stocked. I feel sorry for the rest of the country that has to deal with bare shelves!

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Lion Bridge, Thew (the original Toppling Goliath brewer), and Iowa Brewing are all top ten breweries in the state, with Millstream just outside of town. Lion Bridge's Comfy Pants Scottish Ale is the best beer brewed in the state, bar none.

Can you buy legal cannabis in Cedar Rapids?

giphy.gif

Better arena my ass. The 5 seasons center or whatever the eff it's called is a pig under lipstick. And Aresenal Island could carpet bomb your puny island in a matter of seconds. Plus, how far do you have to drive to get Mary Jane legally? That's what I thought.
It hasn't been the 5 Seasons Center in 23 years. It's gone through two name changes since. It's now the Alliant Energy PowerHouse and everything from the concourses to the seats, to the sightlines are far better after the massive renovations. The angle of seating puts you right on top of the action, even from high up. I was surprised how far from the ice it felt in the upper deck at a QC Storm game...

CR...
157ecb62-c52a-411f-b6b2-21d47804b1da_610_360auto_s.JPG

US-Cellular-Center_-DIIIWrestling.jpg

CbJABWcWcAAs_6Y

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Davenport folks sounding off about the greatness of the Quad Cities are like Vandy football fans talking trash because they’re in the SEC. Each are the obese, unemployed cousin of their association.
And Cedar Rapids is the Kansas football program -- I admit I do feel a little bad about always punching down on our stinky, tiny-rivered little brother.

I contacted a friend who works in bandits office about getting tickets and he says it’s going to be all through MLB and they won’t be selling them through their ticket office at all. Also he expected them to be $50-$100 each.

damnit

Maybe the Hawkeye baseball team could play some games there.
Or Big Ten tournament?

I contacted a friend who works in bandits office about getting tickets and he says it’s going to be all through MLB and they won’t be selling them through their ticket office at all. Also he expected them to be $50-$100 each.

damnit
Well that will keep the poor white trash riff raff of Cedar Rapids in low numbers at least!

Reactions: General Tso
Well that will keep the poor white trash riff raff of Cedar Rapids in low numbers at least!
We've awakened Feisty Torbee! Now we're going places with this thread.

FWIW, I saw two other Kernels fans in my section at the MLB Field of Dreams game last year. Didn't see any River Bandits gear. Just sayin'. 🤷‍♂️

damnit
Hopefully the clubs see some decent chunk of the profits.

Reactions: torbee
It hasn't been the 5 Seasons Center in 23 years. It's gone through two name changes since. It's now the Alliant Energy PowerHouse and everything from the concourses to the seats, to the sightlines are far better after the massive renovations. The angle of seating puts you right on top of the action, even from high up. I was surprised how far from the ice it felt in the upper deck at a QC Storm game...

CR...
157ecb62-c52a-411f-b6b2-21d47804b1da_610_360auto_s.JPG

US-Cellular-Center_-DIIIWrestling.jpg

CbJABWcWcAAs_6Y
Looks like a Ramada Inn conference room with seats

Thew is closing. 😔

Bandits owner Dave Heller with some pre-game smack talk! I love it:

“It’s going to be a once-in-a-lifetime, special event for Quad Citians to enjoy and it’s going to be very memorable and special,” Heller said.

In the 8,000-seat, sold-out stadium, he predicted there would be about 6,000 QC area fans.

“We’re gonna have a lot more fans there than Cedar Rapids,” he said. “Because we’re three times better than them, so we’re gonna have at least three times as many people there.”

“We know and we have proven it over and over again, that we’re the best team in eastern Iowa, and we are the best team that represents eastern Iowa, and we’re gonna prove it again Tuesday night,” Heller said.

Bandits owner Dave Heller with some pre-game smack talk! I love it:

“It’s going to be a once-in-a-lifetime, special event for Quad Citians to enjoy and it’s going to be very memorable and special,” Heller said.

In the 8,000-seat, sold-out stadium, he predicted there would be about 6,000 QC area fans.

“We’re gonna have a lot more fans there than Cedar Rapids,” he said. “Because we’re three times better than them, so we’re gonna have at least three times as many people there.”

“We know and we have proven it over and over again, that we’re the best team in eastern Iowa, and we are the best team that represents eastern Iowa, and we’re gonna prove it again Tuesday night,” Heller said.

QC people just excited to get out of that place.

Meanwhile, the Kernels are starting an Iowan on the mound, whose parents got engaged in Dyersville.

ADVERTISEMENT