ADVERTISEMENT

****Official Cubs 2015 Thread****

Did I just see Cubs fans leaving the ballpark with an inning left down 3? Could have just been a lot of people walking around the stadium, idk. Honest question.

Hard to say. From past playoff games and shots early in the game, the streets around Wrigley were packed. I'm sure a few left, but TV didn't seem to indicate that fans were leaving in droves. My guess is that it was mostly people who had been congregating outside all night.

Did I just see Cubs fans leaving the ballpark with an inning left down 3? Could have just been a lot of people walking around the stadium, idk. Honest question.

I was at the game, if people left early it was such a small number that it was not noticeable in the stadium.

I dont understand a lot of the talk here. I know there are a ton of cubs haters out there, for reasons i dont really understand, but my attitude this post season has been to have fun and enjoy watching my team play post season ball in a year when no one thought it would happen.

I plan on going tonight even though I know the season will end soon, likely tonight, to enjoy watching the cubs in the lcs.

I'm a lifelong Cubs fan going back to around 1981-1982. Grew up in Iowa with the I-Cubs and the big league team on WGN. I get how hard it is to get here (only the 4th NLCS ever). I'm not going to make any bold predictions, but the Cubs are sitting in, by far, the most positive long-term competitive position I've seen in my almost 35 years of following the team. They have a proven front-office leader. They have a proven on-field manager. They have a highly regarded farm system and a number of young players in the majors who appear to be very, very good. Still, there are no guarantees and every opportunity to win is precious.

Over the years, I've seen a lot of different kinds of teams play in the post-season. Some teams were almost completely bought/assembled through free agency and trades (1997 Marlins, for instance). Some were built from the minors on up (1990s Yankees, 1990s Braves). Look at the Braves and Yankees -- both had a good number of homegrown stars and both dominated their leagues for years.....but the Yankees won a lot of rings and the Braves only got one -- partly because of the Yankees.

The Cubs have no guarantees going forward. It looks like they'll have every chance to be very competitive for the next 5 years, but making that final leap is not easy. I've learned that every chance to win is precious and should be taken seriously. I've also learned that the franchises that become good and have staying power have good management and without fail have either a very deep farm system or very deep pockets...and sometimes both. The Cubs appear to have a deep farm system and they also look like they have money to spend. That's an exciting combination to a fan.

The Mets are playing very well. The series is a lopsided 3-0 right now, but the games have not been particularly lopsided. The Cubs have had their chances, but just haven't capitalized as much as the Mets have. Murphy has been ridiculous. Hopefully the Cubs get one tonight and give themselves more time and another game to claw back into this series. Even if they lose, going down fighting can teach these kids a lot of very good lessons they can use over the next several years.

As a Cards fan who has badly misguided family members as Cubs fans, the window for winning is short. Yes, the Cards have had a great run, but with free agency things can change in a hurry. I did predict to my brothers before season started the Cubs would win the WS within five years as I could tell they were making the right moves and signings. Even if you lose, it's been a good season for the Cubbies.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Cubs have been playing with fire with subpar defensive lineups and poor SP all season. It is unfortunate that it all came crumbling down in the NLCS but it was still a great run.

I'd tend to agree with that. Curious what they do in the offseason to offset those issues.

I'd tend to agree with that. Curious what they do in the offseason to offset those issues.

They are def gonna to sign a big time SP. And im hoping that Schwarber/Soler get better defensively with more experience. The big question this off season is who plays CF

You don't think they'll hold on to Fowler?

Fowler earned himself a nice chunk of change this season. I would prefer the Cubs spend that money on SP. especially with the next wave of OF's coming through the system

You don't think they'll hold on to Fowler?

I don't. I think he's going to get a good-sized multi-year deal out on the open market. I'd keep him for 2 years, but probably not beyond that. Assuming he goes, they could go get someone else for a year or hope one of the prospects come up....or, Maddon could go the utility role and let Bryant or Baez play CF. If Javy's bat is truly ready, that could be a great way to go. Castro has been very good since he moved to 2B and Baez & Bryant both seem athletic enough to play a respectable CF (and Bryant has played some there this year).

It'll be interesting to see what they do. They could still deal a SS, they could obviously go after a top FA SP, they will probably add some bullpen help.....but mostly, I don't think they'll mess with the core of the team. I think Theo and Jed will continue to stick to strategy.

Cubs have been playing with fire with subpar defensive lineups and poor SP all season. It is unfortunate that it all came crumbling down in the NLCS but it was still a great run.

I get that, but the lack of hitting is what's let them down against the Mets. The pitching hasn't been great, but with adequate offense it's been good enough. The Mets have also pitched great, so credit to them as well. Defensively last night was a disaster, bottom line, but even with that, the Mets only scored 5 runs. The Cubs need to start hitting. Their margin for error pitching wise and defensively is paper thin with the way they're currently swinging the bats. I do agree that SP is a need for the Cubs, but I don't think it's been the downfall this series.

Schwarber is not an outfielder.
orly.jpg

;)

Hammel and Cahill deserve to be flipping burgers somewhere. Garbage worthless waste of payroll.

The only way this series can be saved is if they injure Murphy somehow. Then Murphy would get drug tested in the hospital and he would have his season ended due to injury and career/reputation ruined by failed pee test.

Sad, but we were a year ahead of schedule. Add Price or Heyward...or both...break the bank and win the whole effing thing next year.

What is this, Little Big League? Get off the field, you got swept.

In all seriousness, as a Cards fan, it should be fun the next few years. Pirates, Cubs and Cardinals are going to be a battle year after year. Big step forward for the Cubs.

ADVERTISEMENT