ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2017 thread*****

Giddy up.

Can't wait for the first Cardinal$ fan to lecture us on how the "best fans in baseball" handle the season following a title run.

I'm sure there is a Cardinal$ way of handling success.

Kyle Schwarber's days as catcher should be over.
His serious knee surgery should preclude any return
behind the plate. He is going to have enough trouble
patrolling left field. Kyle biggest asset is his hitting
and the Cubs front office needs to protect him from undue
wear and tear on his knees.

Ideally, Schwarber would make a great DH in the AL.

Kyle Schwarber's days as catcher should be over.
His serious knee surgery should preclude any return
behind the plate. He is going to have enough trouble
patrolling left field. Kyle biggest asset is his hitting
and the Cubs front office needs to protect him from undue
wear and tear on his knees.

Ideally, Schwarber would make a great DH in the AL.
1. Surgery and rehab are light years ahead of what they once were, and Schwarber is a great patient.
2. While not a plus fielder he is not as bad as some like to claim. He was working hard to get better. He was injured hustling for a ball a bad outfielder would have dogged it on.
3. His flexibility will get him at bats. If he catches once a week, plays LF three times, is the DH in interleague games and stands at first once a month he will get all the at bats he can handle.

Giddy up.

Can't wait for the first Cardinal$ fan to lecture us on how the "best fans in baseball" handle the season following a title run.

I'm sure there is a Cardinal$ way of handling success.

Awesome that the first mention of the Cardinals in the annual Cubs thread is made by a Cub fan...again.
Good luck this season, fellas.

Sell half your games and make your money back.

yeah - i've made a good chunk already. i posted quite a few to stubhub at prices that i thought would be too high to move. they're gone.

but i wasn't talking about buying season tickets, i was talking about the actual seats to put in your house (or maybe you knew that).

Reactions: ClarindaA's
yeah - i've made a good chunk already. i posted quite a few to stubhub at prices that i thought would be too high to move. they're gone.

but i wasn't talking about buying season tickets, i was talking about the actual seats to put in your house (or maybe you knew that).

I got you. I bought one seat. That was enough.

I put a pair of tickets for the Saturday yankee game on stubhub for $600 each and they sold in 6 hrs.

The Cubs hadn’t even held their first formal workout of the spring when Jake Arrieta responded to media Wednesday morning by dropping his shorts to bare his backside.

It shouldn’t be hard to imagine what that was all about.

The College World Series, of course. And ill-advised bets with teammates that result in tats in low places.

“I guess it’ll be there forever,” Arrieta said, displaying the “CCU” logo of teammate Tommy La Stella’s alma mater, Coastal Carolina University, tattooed across his right cheek.

“I was going to get the Chanticleer, but the guy said it’s got to be this big, and I said I’m not going to do that.”

Never mind the natural disinclination to live with a chicken on your butt the rest of your life.

“It turned out pretty well,” Arrieta said.

Arrieta, whose TCU Horned Frogs were eliminated by Coastal from the CWS, paid off on the bet when La Stella visited in December. He’s even ready to turn the other cheek if the schools meet again this year.

screen-shot-2017-02-15-at-2-57-39-pm.png

As Arrieta opened what figures to be his final spring as a Cub, this was the vibe and mood he brought to the clubhouse Wednesday – in contrast to the uncertainty of this contract year that hung as a backdrop on the first day of spring work for pitchers and catchers.

In fact, the 2015 Cy Young winner and Game 6 World Series winner even suggested a deal might still be possible, even if that looks like it would take a bigger upset than the Frogs’ loss to La Stella’s boys.

“There’s an open dialogue there. I think we will have talks,” Arrieta said. “But it’s not my No. 1 priority. I just wanted to focus on my health and coming into camp as well rested and in as good of shape as I possibly can. That’s the position I’m in.

“If we have those conversations we’ll sit down and hash some things out and see if we can get something worked out. If it happens, great. If not, I’ll continue to move forward and take it day by day and focus on being as good as I can.”

Team president Theo Epstein said during Cubs Convention, he, too, expects to talk again at some point with Scott Boras, Arrieta’s agent, about an extension.

General manager Jed Hoyer said Wednesday the relationship with Arrieta remains “really strong” and that the club also considers the lines of communication open.

But nobody’s talking contract now.

And this reality persists:

Arrieta has said he doesn’t plan to offer a market discount to the club. Boras has compared Arrieta favorably to another of his clients, Max Scherzer, who got a seven-year, $210 million from the Nationals after the 2014 season. Arrieta will be 31 when next season opens. And the Cubs are unlikely to go all in for a megadeal, despite how important the right-hander has been to their success during back-to-back deep postseason runs.

“It feels like only a few months ago that I was traded over here and starting my career as a Cub in 2013,” said Arrieta, who was acquired from the Orioles, with Pedro Strop, in the Scott Feldman trade. “And I’ve had some incredible experiences with this organization. I owe a lot to this team and this organization and the ownership.

“I don’t want to see that time come to an end, my time as a Cub. But unfortunately the business side of the game shows its head every once in a while. But I still think there’s an opportunity and chance that we can have good conversations as far as an extension’s concerned and see if we can get something worked out.”

Insiders don’t expect that to happen at this point.

Then, again, it’s not like Arrieta ever expected to be walking around with La Stella’s college tattooed on his butt, either.

“Sometimes I forget I have it,” he said. “And people in the shower are like, `what the [expletive] is that?’ “

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/arrieta-still-an-opportunity-for-an-extension-with-cubs/

Reactions: mthawkeyes
The Cubs hadn’t even held their first formal workout of the spring when Jake Arrieta responded to media Wednesday morning by dropping his shorts to bare his backside.

It shouldn’t be hard to imagine what that was all about.

The College World Series, of course. And ill-advised bets with teammates that result in tats in low places.

“I guess it’ll be there forever,” Arrieta said, displaying the “CCU” logo of teammate Tommy La Stella’s alma mater, Coastal Carolina University, tattooed across his right cheek.

“I was going to get the Chanticleer, but the guy said it’s got to be this big, and I said I’m not going to do that.”

Never mind the natural disinclination to live with a chicken on your butt the rest of your life.

“It turned out pretty well,” Arrieta said.

Arrieta, whose TCU Horned Frogs were eliminated by Coastal from the CWS, paid off on the bet when La Stella visited in December. He’s even ready to turn the other cheek if the schools meet again this year.

screen-shot-2017-02-15-at-2-57-39-pm.png

As Arrieta opened what figures to be his final spring as a Cub, this was the vibe and mood he brought to the clubhouse Wednesday – in contrast to the uncertainty of this contract year that hung as a backdrop on the first day of spring work for pitchers and catchers.

In fact, the 2015 Cy Young winner and Game 6 World Series winner even suggested a deal might still be possible, even if that looks like it would take a bigger upset than the Frogs’ loss to La Stella’s boys.

“There’s an open dialogue there. I think we will have talks,” Arrieta said. “But it’s not my No. 1 priority. I just wanted to focus on my health and coming into camp as well rested and in as good of shape as I possibly can. That’s the position I’m in.

“If we have those conversations we’ll sit down and hash some things out and see if we can get something worked out. If it happens, great. If not, I’ll continue to move forward and take it day by day and focus on being as good as I can.”

Team president Theo Epstein said during Cubs Convention, he, too, expects to talk again at some point with Scott Boras, Arrieta’s agent, about an extension.

General manager Jed Hoyer said Wednesday the relationship with Arrieta remains “really strong” and that the club also considers the lines of communication open.

But nobody’s talking contract now.

And this reality persists:

Arrieta has said he doesn’t plan to offer a market discount to the club. Boras has compared Arrieta favorably to another of his clients, Max Scherzer, who got a seven-year, $210 million from the Nationals after the 2014 season. Arrieta will be 31 when next season opens. And the Cubs are unlikely to go all in for a megadeal, despite how important the right-hander has been to their success during back-to-back deep postseason runs.

“It feels like only a few months ago that I was traded over here and starting my career as a Cub in 2013,” said Arrieta, who was acquired from the Orioles, with Pedro Strop, in the Scott Feldman trade. “And I’ve had some incredible experiences with this organization. I owe a lot to this team and this organization and the ownership.

“I don’t want to see that time come to an end, my time as a Cub. But unfortunately the business side of the game shows its head every once in a while. But I still think there’s an opportunity and chance that we can have good conversations as far as an extension’s concerned and see if we can get something worked out.”

Insiders don’t expect that to happen at this point.

Then, again, it’s not like Arrieta ever expected to be walking around with La Stella’s college tattooed on his butt, either.

“Sometimes I forget I have it,” he said. “And people in the shower are like, `what the [expletive] is that?’ “

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/arrieta-still-an-opportunity-for-an-extension-with-cubs/

I hope Jake gets a huge contract from an American League team.

Kris Bryant stepped into the batting cage in his hometown of Las Vegas, and was about to face one of the nastiest BP pitchers of all time.

The goofy-looking dude on the mound was a fellow Las Vegas native. Guy by the name of Mad Dog.

Bryant, the Cubs’ MVP third baseman, was about to be the victim of Hall of Famer Greg Maddux’s latest prank.

Check out the video.

Tough call, neither is really needed but tls bats lefty so he probably makes the team.

Agreed, Szczur's biggest selling point is that he can play CF, but with Heyward, Almora, and Jay on the team, there really isn't a need for another CF.

Reactions: dgordo
Awesome that the first mention of the Cardinals in the annual Cubs thread is made by a Cub fan...again.
Good luck this season, fellas.

It is funny to see...

I know how I handled it. Like I've been there before. And before. And before. And before. And finally, one last before.

Of course, I don't really remember '64 (and therefore '65). '67 the WS is one of my oldest memories. They're all special...but, it's a new season. Hope springs eternal with every team.

Anyway, here's hoping for a fun season no matter how it turns out for both teams. Cubs are the favorites for sure...but nothing is forever in baseball.

Probably easier to move Szczur for pitching, with La Stella's stance that he doesn't want to play for anyone but the Cubs.

Agreed that La Stella kind of killed any trade value with his hold out last year but Szczur isn't getting you much besides maybe a low A total long shot arm. He's a guy, a 5th OF on a good team with no options, he'll get picked up if he gets waived but every team has guys like him in their system.

It is funny to see...

I know how I handled it. Like I've been there before. And before. And before. And before. And finally, one last before.

Of course, I don't really remember '64 (and therefore '65). '67 the WS is one of my oldest memories. They're all special...but, it's a new season. Hope springs eternal with every team.

Anyway, here's hoping for a fun season no matter how it turns out for both teams. Cubs are the favorites for sure...but nothing is forever in baseball.

Best fans in baseball

There was a long segment on the Score today about Sammy. As long as the face of the Cubs are guys like Kerry Wood and Ryne Sandberg there is little chance Sammy gets a invite back to Wrigley. That is unless he extends a few olive branches.

Agreed, and I think the cubs winning makes it even less likely he is back unless he makes the move.

There was a long segment on the Score today about Sammy. As long as the face of the Cubs are guys like Kerry Wood and Ryne Sandberg there is little chance Sammy gets a invite back to Wrigley. That is unless he extends a few olive branches.

I think it happens in the next two years. This front office has been great at embracing the history of the organization and Sammy was a huge part of Cubs history, regardless of how badly things ended. I'm guessing this will be the opening of some communication between the Cubs and Sammy and eventually we'll see him get an invite back to Wrigley.

I saw that Jed and Theo were on hand to watch Jimenez take BP earlier this week. It will be interesting to see how aggressive they are with moving him through the system this year. I would think he ends the year in AA if all goes according to plan and then we're probably looking at a late 2018 ETA in Chicago.

I saw that Jed and Theo were on hand to watch Jimenez take BP earlier this week. It will be interesting to see how aggressive they are with moving him through the system this year. I would think he ends the year in AA if all goes according to plan and then we're probably looking at a late 2018 ETA in Chicago.

Reactions: 33hawkfan
If I were Jed or Theo I would fap to Eloy's BP. I'm betting a full season in AA.

ADVERTISEMENT