ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2017 thread*****

Yeah, that's what it will probably take to do away with them. I guess that I am just old school and hate to see an AB like Rizzo had where he lines it into RF over the infield and the 2B playing 40-50 feet behind the dirt easily picks it off the bounce and throws to first for the out. Just ain't right. ;)
Schwarber just did it. Good for him.

Reactions: mstp1992
How did they do in '15?

101315_nlds_schwarber_homerun_statcast_medres_bq4qks7r.gif

I won't call this season a failure. It was a fun year and just such a different season than '16.

That being said, I was trying to remember - weren't the Cubs (at one time) ahead of schedule in '15, ready to make a run in '16, and poised to get a Champioship in '17?

I only ask because I think some of the way the team played this year, and some of the moves that Theo made were really a result of '16. If they came up short last year, I think you see some different urgency in '17.

Basically, last year mattered. Dodgers are being gifted the W this year.

Reactions: dgordo
I won't call this season a failure. It was a fun year and just such a different season than '16.

That being said, I was trying to remember - weren't the Cubs (at one time) ahead of schedule in '15, ready to make a run in '16, and poised to get a Champioship in '17?

I only ask because I think some of the way the team played this year, and some of the moves that Theo made were really a result of '16. If they came up short last year, I think you see some different urgency in '17.

Basically, last year mattered. Dodgers are being gifted the W this year.

That's kind of how I remember it. This year was originally the year they were looking at as a possible WS title when 2015 started. Of course their success that season and in the playoffs kind of sped up the expectation for 2016, which they did meet. 3 "Final Fours" in 3 years is pretty damm good IMO. Maybe next year will be another?

The Cubs will lose Jake A. and John Lackey from
their starting rotation during the winter. So they need
two quality starters plus some help for the bullpen.

Pitching wins pennants and world series and the Cubs
will be looking for trades or free agents to fill the gap.

The Cubs will lose Jake A. and John Lackey from
their starting rotation during the winter. So they need
two quality starters plus some help for the bullpen.

Pitching wins pennants and world series and the Cubs
will be looking for trades or free agents to fill the gap.

Eh, Cubs' starting pitching has been really solid in the playoffs except for tonight. They had no hitting and were lucky the Nats self destructed like a typical Dusty Baker team. To win a World Series you need pitching and hitting, in baseball those things have to come together at the right time. The weaknesses of the Cubs' bullpen in getting to Davis were exacerbated by the fact that they didn't hit the ball at all to put pressure on the opposing team.

Yeah, their bullpen was pretty piss poor, but they didn't hit the damn ball either.

Reactions: BioHawk
Eh, Cubs' starting pitching has been really solid in the playoffs except for tonight. They had no hitting and were lucky the Nats self destructed like a typical Dusty Baker team. To win a World Series you need pitching and hitting, in baseball those things have to come together at the right time. The weaknesses of the Cubs' bullpen in getting to Davis were exacerbated by the fact that they didn't hit the ball at all to put pressure on the opposing team.

Yeah, their bullpen was pretty piss poor, but they didn't hit the damn ball either.
Their OBP in the post season has been terrible.

Just saw Zobrist take a called 3rd strike. Hopefully he rebounds next year. They say that the Cubs are now 0-31 from the eighth spot in the batting order in the post season.

Incredible.

Their OBP in the post season has been terrible.

Just saw Zobrist take a called 3rd strike. Hopefully he rebounds next year. They say that the Cubs are now 0-31 from the eighth spot in the batting order in the post season.

Incredible.

Which is bizarre because last year they were extremely patient and forced high pitch counts early from opposing pitchers. Maybe teams adjusted and worked in the zone more this year, I don't know, I don't go out of my way to research stats. Just from watching, it seems like the Cubs' were way more swing happy this year to hit HR's then getting runners on base, which is counter intuitive. Working counts means you get better pitches to drive... but meh, I'm just a fan... I don't get paid to analyze this stuff.

All in all still a great season, and knocking off the Frat Boys led by Baker in the NLDS is a consolation prize.

Which is bizarre because last year they were extremely patient and forced high pitch counts early from opposing pitchers. Maybe teams adjusted and worked in the zone more this year, I don't know, I don't go out of my way to research stats. Just from watching, it seems like the Cubs' were way more swing happy this year to hit HR's then getting runners on base, which is counter intuitive. Working counts means you get better pitches to drive... but meh, I'm just a fan... I don't get paid to analyze this stuff.

All in all still a great season, and knocking off the Frat Boys led by Baker in the NLDS is a consolation prize.

I agree. The Dodgers plate approach is what the Cubs were doing last year.

Reactions: TheCainer

They led the NL in OBP this year

Looks like we ran interference for the Dodgers.

They led the NL in OBP this year

Yeah, I don't really have a leg to stand on because I said "more this year." To be honest I didn't watch as much this year as I did last few due to just life and time constraints. But these playoffs were very "un-cub-like" to what I've gotten used to the last few years. Very undisciplined approaches at the plate

But whatever it's baseball, players and teams get hot and they have large rosters so it's much more difficult for a couple players to carry a team, and no one for the Cubbies was hot.

I think zobrist and Heyward were millstones around this teams neck. Do you trade Happ, baez, Russell, Schwarber, for pitching, or Stanton

I think most any Cub fan from the days of Santo, Banks, Hundley, etc. would relish 3 NLCS in a row.

Some work to do in the off-season, but all signs point to another good season next year.
I would expect Cub domination in that weak ass division. Pad the record and hope the Dodgers come back to earth

Good season for the Cubs; just not great.

They looked tired and beat

Yep, they've played a lot of baseball the last three years. 2015 felt like everything was building toward 2016, I remember Maddon talking about how he didn't want guys showing up to spring training as early as they did but that great start to 2016 really felt like picking up where they left out in 2015. Then a long tough postseason in 2016 followed by all the attention that comes from not only winning a World Series but breaking a 108 year old curse. Then another early spring for some with the WBC. This whole year somewhat felt like a grind, just never got on a huge roll but even then had the second best record in the majors over the second half of the year. Played at a 108 win pace for nearly three months to close out the year.

I think it will be good to have a regular off season this year. Let them really get away for a while and then come back re-energized next year. They will be clear favorites in the NL Central again and I fully expect them to be back in the NLCS again next year.

post game interview with bryant - he really didn't shy away from admitting he was tired. my question is, did 'tired' mean 'hurt'? doesn't matter now, but he just seemed exhausted.

Well, congratulations to the Dodgers and Good Luck to them in the series. They were clearly the better team in this series and earned the win.

Thanks. I would have been shocked if LA didn't win this series. Not because the Cubs aren't a good team, but LA is the better team this year, were rested and the cubs were wiped after the Nationals series. Hope to see ya next yea in the same spot...need to see who can go 2 out of 3.

I would expect Cub domination in that weak ass division. Pad the record and hope the Dodgers come back to earth

I think this is what we will see. Several of their guys had career years this season which is what a team needs in order to go far into the post season. There is a tendency to predict next year's best team based on the current season's results which really doesn't always hold true. Guys can regress from year-to-year as much as they can improve. I think players like Turner, Taylor, and Wood all had career years and there is no guarantee that they can repeat the kind of years they had this year. Sure they have a couple of young studs in Seager and Bellinger just like the Cubs have in Bryant and Rizzo but we saw both of them have poorer years this season as opposed to last. The success of the Dodgers bullpen won't necessarily repeat itself next year as well other than Jansen will be himself. Plus injuries can hit key personnel and there is no way to predict that. I'm sure the Dodgers will be the preseason favorite next year just like the Cubs were this year and as we saw last night the favorites don't always live up to expectations.

Reactions: MitchL
I was driving around over lunch listening to the Score. They played some more messages from the voicemail they set up to catch messages overnight. It was hilarious. Lots of dudes calling in and bitching, some swearing bleeped out. Then there was this demure, small voice. A woman named Laura(?), from Fulton… Illinois. She softly proceeded to launch into a profanity laced tirade against Cubs fans like who her husband who have F***** ruined watching baseball for her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT