ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2018 thread*****

Need to rebuild the starting pitching and the bullpen needs a complete overhaul. Also, the Cubs batters need to go back to working pitch counts again. That method worked much better in 2016 than swinging at the first ball near the strikezone did in 2017.

Finally, Schwarber needs to get better or he is going to lose his job to Almora.

Reactions: curt26
I forget who it was I heard on MLB Radio tonight but someone who regularly covers the Cubs expects them to trade either Schwarber or Happ this winter for a SP. He said they are both basically LFers with a power left-handed bat. Don't need both on the same team he said.

Need to rebuild the starting pitching and the bullpen needs a complete overhaul. Also, the Cubs batters need to go back to working pitch counts again. That method worked much better in 2016 than swinging at the first ball near the strikezone did in 2017.

Finally, Schwarber needs to get better or he is going to lose his job to Almora.

Not to bring up last year, but the work the count strategy failed against the NAts and Dodgers because they pound first pitch strikes. And, in the Dodgers case, getting to a starter just means bringing in a strong pen.

Fairly good defense by the champs. Win the division, beat a better Nationals team.

This series loss would be much easier to take if this series wasn't such a cluster. 27 walks in 5 games? Pretty boy has only three more hits than me and I'm not even on the team.

We've got about two more years with this group before salaries go through the roof. Let's get it done. In Theo we trust

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Not to bring up last year, but the work the count strategy failed against the NAts and Dodgers because they pound first pitch strikes. And, in the Dodgers case, getting to a starter just means bringing in a strong pen.

In 2016, they would foul those pitches off with 2 strikes and force the pitcher to either walk them or make a mistake. You know, exactly what the Dodgers have done to the Cubs in this series and to other teams all season long. It's not a coincidence that the Cubs were, by far, the most dominant team in 2016 and the Dodgers were that way in 2017, well, minus September where the Dodgers took the month off.

You get rid of the other teams starter in 5 innings and good things happen. The only problem is being able to do that and that much command with the bat is really hard.

Reactions: TheCainer
I forget who it was I heard on MLB Radio tonight but someone who regularly covers the Cubs expects them to trade either Schwarber or Happ this winter for a SP. He said they are both basically LFers with a power left-handed bat. Don't need both on the same team he said.

That makes sense, actually.

This will be the season. Cubs sensations and NL MVB Harper and 18 game winner Darvish will win the WS for the Cubs.

Cubs fans should just enjoy last year. It’s done. It’s over. Love it. Move on, and realize they’re still the Cubs. They will continue losing when it matters.

Cubs fans should just enjoy last year. It’s done. It’s over. Love it. Move on, and realize they’re still the Cubs. They will continue losing when it matters.

I do not understand how you can say this as a Cubs' fan other than just being reactionary.

Reactions: TheCainer
Yeah they lost in the NLCS, you're the one proposing they're the same ole Cubs. Make the argument, it's not on me to make it for you.

Did they lose it last year when it mattered against the Indians?
I specifically singled out last season in my first post champ. I’m sure the Cubs will “get em” next season. That’s the saying right? From the last century? Stop acting like the Cubs are some powerhouse to be reckoned with. You are the type of fan that makes me dislike them. The Cubs has a great season last year. They had a good season this year. But they’re not going to win again. They’re the Cubs.

And a 33% win percentage in those appearances.

Congrats on the math. Here are the teams to ever make 3 straight NLCS:

1976-78 Phillies: 0-3
1990-92 Pirates: 0-3
1993-99 Braves: 3-3
2004-06 Cardinals 2-1
2008-10 Phillies 2-1
2011-14 Cardinals 2-2
2015-17 Cubs 1-2

Reactions: sandiegohawk
Well pitching is obviously a huge issue...older starters and a poor pen. But the hitting coach (I am never ‘fire someone guy’ but I’m about to be) should be fired now. We have so many players that defenses shift to and yet rarely do we try to combat that. Cool, Rizz it another rocket to shallow right were he is thrown out at first. However, he could have bunted down the third bad line and done the worm all the way down to first. I have felt this way for a long time. I’m not saying power hitters should try to bunt for base hits all the time, but man you gotta keep them honest. We have a lot of exclusive pull hitters trying to hit the ball 700 feet on every swing and it’s cool when it works. When it doesn’t you look foolish and inept.

Reactions: IACub
Congrats on the math. Here are the teams to ever make 3 straight NLCS:

1976-78 Phillies: 0-3
1990-92 Pirates: 0-3
1993-99 Braves: 3-3
2004-06 Cardinals 2-1
2008-10 Phillies 2-1
2011-14 Cardinals 2-2
2015-17 Cubs 1-2
So is 1 out of 3 all the sudden not 33%?

I specifically singled out last season in my first post champ. I’m sure the Cubs will “get em” next season. That’s the saying right? From the last century? Stop acting like the Cubs are some powerhouse to be reckoned with. You are the type of fan that makes me dislike them. The Cubs has a great season last year. They had a good season this year. But they’re not going to win again. They’re the Cubs.

Dude, you are out of your mind, this isn't a "wait until next year team." This is a team that is built to compete year in and year out. And they were a year ahead of schedule according to the "experts". That's what you need in baseball, get to the postseason consistently, have solid starting pitching and you go from there. Cubs starters were pretty goddamn good in the postseason, the bats just died, which is correctable. I really hope Arrieta and the Cubs can come to an agreement, but if they don't.... they have the cash to buy another starter. Their base is set and they still have pieces to sell if they need them.

They got to 3 NLCS in a row with a World Series sandwiched in there with a young roster with more young talent coming up, what the **** are you talking about.

Reactions: sandiegohawk
Dude, you are out of your mind, this isn't a "wait until next year team." This is a team that is built to compete year in and year out. And they were a year ahead of schedule according to the "experts". That's what you need in baseball, get to the postseason consistently, have solid starting pitching and you go from there. Cubs starters were pretty goddamn good in the postseason, the bats just died, which is correctable. I really hope Arrieta and the Cubs can come to an agreement, but if they don't.... they have the cash to buy another starter. Their base is set and they still have pieces to sell if they need them.
Totes. They’ve got all the pieces in place to win. In a 4-1 series losing 11-1 in an elimination game.

Thanks. Congrats to your team on almost making it to the big stage.

You are hammered. They already made it to the big stage and won a World Series. Yeah, they lost this one, it happens. Pretty rare in baseball for teams to repeat. You want repeat titles go to the NBA where 1-2 players can completely carry you to title. Not a knock on basketball because I love it but yeah, way easier in that sport to chain titles.

You are hammered. They already made it to the big stage and won a World Series. Yeah, they lost this one, it happens. Pretty rare in baseball for teams to repeat. You want repeat titles go to the NBA where 1-2 players can completely carry you to title. Not a knock on basketball because I love it but yeah, way easier in that sport to chain titles.

He's trolling you, and you're letting him.

Reactions: McLovin32
I’m hammered? I literally acknowledged last year. Twice. This is why I love/hate Cubs fan. They’re delusional. The Cubs just got raped by the Dodgers. And you acknowledge how rare it is for MLB teams to stay on top. And you’re getting mad because I’m saying the Cubs won’t win again for awhile.

ADVERTISEMENT