ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2018 thread*****

Montgomery has really increased his value. Yes, he is under team control, but now he's a starter, not a mid level lefty reliever. He's helped himself a lot.

He'll definitely see that value increase his paycheck since he hits his first year of arbitration this year.

Reactions: lucas80
Since kintzler became a cub 2 months ago he has a whip over 2 and era near 8. No way I'd have him in over bote.

otherwise I'd agree.
who do you pull for strop? i'd probably say rosario, depending how important a lefty is vs the team we draw.

If I'm pulling a reliever for another position player, it might be for Gore and not Bote....but yes, I'd have Kintzler at the bottom of the list. If Strop can go, then I'm definitely pulling Kintzler and if I'm going with an extra position player, then Rosario is probably next. Him or de la Rosa.

I still think Happ's switch hitting and defensive flexibility will keep him on the roster. The biggest question might be that last reliever (Kintzler/De La Rosa/Rosario) vs. Gore.
I think the difference between a best of 5 versus a best of 7 series will make a difference in this case. Maybe keep Gore for a short series and an extra RP for the longer series?

Don't ever use a form of rely and Chatwood in the same sentence.
I actually believe that Chatwood could possibly be a version of Arrietta 2.0. Jake couldn't find the strike zone early in his career (his stuff moved so much) and I am thinking that maybe Chatwood's stuff is so erratic (like early Jake) that maybe the Cubs can harness his control and produce some good results in the next year or two. I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

I actually believe that Chatwood could possibly be a version of Arrietta 2.0. Jake couldn't find the strike zone early in his career (his stuff moved so much) and I am thinking that maybe Chatwood's stuff is so erratic (like early Jake) that maybe the Cubs can harness his control and produce some good results in the next year or two. I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

Yes, I'm not ready to write him off completely, but he certainly can't be on the playoff roster this year.

Reactions: TheCainer
Who is Allen Webster??????

Thank God the Cubs finally have a scheduled day off. The last 10 games are in Chicago. Hopefully they won't take the Sox too lightly.

EDIT:

Looking at the box score, it seems that the Cubs completely mailed this one in. Only had 1 hit, and Hamels gave up 7 runs to a line up that consisted of a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers?

Well, at least they took 2 of 3 in Arizona. About as good as could be hoped for. Hopefully the day off tomorrow will give them a chance to refocus on the remaining games. Clinch the division as soon as possible and then give some deserved days off to those who need it most.

Last edited:

Thank God the Cubs finally have a scheduled day off. The last 10 games are in Chicago. Hopefully they won't take the Sox too lightly.

EDIT:

Looking at the box score, it seems that the Cubs completely mailed this one in. Only had 1 hit, and Hamels gave up 7 runs to a line up that consisted of a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers?

Well, at least they took 2 of 3 in Arizona. About as good as could be hoped for. Hopefully the day off tomorrow will give them a chance to refocus on the remaining games. Clinch the division as soon as possible and then give some deserved days off to those who need it most.
At this time of year those 2nd and 3rd stringers are playing like it's Game 7 of the Series because they are playing for jobs next year. Established vets with solid contracts on teams out of it are just mailing it in.

EDIT:

I watched the game and I don't know that I'd go with the "mailed it in" story line until the lead got to more than 4. Hamels got lit up in the first inning, which just happens some days, but then he settled in for several innings. Meanwhile, the Cubs hit some balls hard, but at guys, including a bomb hit by Zobrist to dead center with a guy on right before Hamels gave up his last 3 runs. If Zobrist pulls that ball a bit, the game is then 4-2 and who knows what happens. As it was, they missed a couple opportunities and fell behind by more and then things just went south. The strike zone was also a little erratic last night (for both teams) and Ray was better able to take advantage of it than Hamels was.

I watched the game and I don't know that I'd go with the "mailed it in" story line until the lead got to more than 4. Hamels got lit up in the first inning, which just happens some days, but then he settled in for several innings. Meanwhile, the Cubs hit some balls hard, but at guys, including a bomb hit by Zobrist to dead center with a guy on right before Hamels gave up his last 3 runs. If Zobrist pulls that ball a bit, the game is then 4-2 and who knows what happens. As it was, they missed a couple opportunities and fell behind by more and then things just went south. The strike zone was also a little erratic last night (for both teams) and Ray was better able to take advantage of it than Hamels was.

Thanks for the recap. Wasn't able to watch last night!

EDIT:

There were some write ups about Webster on the Cub sites yesterday. He was a big time prospect at one time who had arm surgery. He is just now rounding back into shape. Lottery ticket type that needed to be put on the 40 man roster. He had been a starter, but the Cubs see him as a high leverage reliever. With Morrow going to the 60 day DL the Cubs found a spot and brought Webster up. He’s looked pretty good during rehab, and a few innings this September will go a long ways in deciding if he sticks in ST.

What if I told you …

The Chicago Cubs were about to embark on a stretch of 30 straight days of scheduled games, 16 of which would be on the road, and the Cubs would travel to a new city 10 times, including twice going to a city for a single game. The Cubs would also be waiting out a dozen hours of rain delays, and would have to pick up a suspended game the following day. Further, 17 of the 29 games that were ultimately played would come against teams with winning records.

What kind of record for those 29 games would you consider … acceptable? Good? Great? Incredible?

On the season, the Chicago Cubs – who have the best record in the National League – have a .586 winning percentage.

For these 30 days of hell, the Chicago Cubs went 18-11. That’s a .621 winning percentage.

The Cubs came into this stretch of games with a 2.5-game lead in the NL Central over the Brewers, then the second best team in the NL. Over this time, the Brewers have felt like an unstoppable force, almost never losing, includig taking four of six from the Cubs. Yet, here at the end of these 30 days, they stand no closer to the Cubs than they started: 2.5 games back.

Last edited:
No, I'd go with "they mailed it in." I'll give them a pass this time though. I think it was obvious the players were just ready to go back to Chicago and just wanted out of Phoenix for a day off. I understand keeping the rotation in synch, but I really was hoping Maddon would push Hamels to Friday and start someone from the extended roster.

Game wasn't on in my area so I was following it on MLB Tonight. After the first inning when Hamels gave up 4 runs, Harold Reynolds commented that he was making good pitches and hitting his spots, just sometimes you get hit, and that Hamels will be fine.

I'm hanging on to that assessment.

Reactions: dgordo
No, I'd go with "they mailed it in." I'll give them a pass this time though. I think it was obvious the players were just ready to go back to Chicago and just wanted out of Phoenix for a day off. I understand keeping the rotation in synch, but I really was hoping Maddon would push Hamels to Friday and start someone from the extended roster.

We'll agree to disagree here for the 5 1/2 innings. Once they gave up 3 more in the 6th, then they mailed it in. But yeah, I don't feel too badly about that game. A sweep would have been nice, but that 18-12 stretch playing 30 consecutive days in 10 cities including a 1-day road trip in the middle of a homestand is pretty fantastic. The Brewers made up no ground in the last month and knocked 30 games off the calendar.....all while they were largely playing really good ball.

Reactions: mstp1992
Game wasn't on in my area so I was following it on MLB Tonight. After the first inning when Hamels gave up 4 runs, Harold Reynolds commented that he was making good pitches and hitting his spots, just sometimes you get hit, and that Hamels will be fine.

I'm hanging on to that assessment.

It's largely true. The 3-run homer was on a fastball on the inner edge of the plate at the knees. Sometimes the other guys are pro athletes, too.

It's largely true. The 3-run homer was on a fastball on the inner edge of the plate at the knees. Sometimes the other guys are pro athletes, too.

it wasnt that good of a pitch

numlocation.php

The one thing the Dback series did, even the blowout last night, was allow for 4 days of rest for multiple members of the bullpen who sorely needed it.

Reactions: hawkifann
What if the Cubs and Brew finish with the same record? Is there a tie breaker or is there a one game playoff?

One game playoff. I believe the cubs would host since they have the tiebreaker.
I heard a discussion on the Score today that in a one game match up against the Brewers the Cubs should start Quintana if possible. My theory is this won’t be necessary.

I believe her but it sounds like a he said/she said. If she has proof I hope she talks to mlb this time.

Agreed on hoping she cooperates with an investigation this time.....but right now it's not really even a he-said/she-said. He really hasn't said much of anything. I hope MLB/Cubs are able to give her a fair venue to communicate and that if this is true, she has some evidence. If half of what she said is true, he's a pretty crappy human being.

The key point is the abuse, obviously. If her allegations are true, he should be done with this team. The cheating and being a terrible husband isn't something that probably impacts baseball, but the abuse stuff absolutely should.

Cubs should ask MLB to open an investigation now and put him on the shelf while that investigation is carried out. I hope MLB follows up, gives her a fair venue to participate and that she actually does participate. Then we can get some determination whether there's evidence, compare accounts and all that. Nobody wins when accusations come out on social media from one side and then there's no participation from the accuser. It makes a thorough investigation almost impossible.

I believe her but it sounds like a he said/she said. If she has proof I hope she talks to mlb this time.

Agreed on hoping she cooperates with an investigation this time.....but right now it's not really even a he-said/she-said. He really hasn't said much of anything. I hope MLB/Cubs are able to give her a fair venue to communicate and that if this is true, she has some evidence. If half of what she said is true, he's a pretty crappy human being.

The key point is the abuse, obviously. If her allegations are true, he should be done with this team. The cheating and being a terrible husband isn't something that probably impacts baseball, but the abuse stuff absolutely should.

Cubs should ask MLB to open an investigation now and put him on the shelf while that investigation is carried out. I hope MLB follows up, gives her a fair venue to participate and that she actually does participate. Then we can get some determination whether there's evidence, compare accounts and all that. Nobody wins when accusations come out on social media from one side and then there's no participation from the accuser. It makes a thorough investigation almost impossible.
Agreed. I don’t know if this is true or not, but he’s a 24 year old who has 3 kids with 3 different women and is the starting shortstop for one of the largest sports franchises on the planet. He needs some help or this will be a trend that keeps on going.

I really hope she comes forward. Him being suspended could be the best thing that happens to him.

Looks like the Cubs are facing a hot pitcher today in Lopez. Looking at his recent games, in 5 starts he has 32.2 IP, 17 H, 4 R (all earned), 9 BB, 35 K's, and only 1 HR. He currently has a 13 scoreless innings streak going. These 5 games include 2 starts against DET and 1 each for NYY, LAA, and BAL, not exactly murderer's row, but still some eye opening stats. He is 2-0 in those 5 starts.

Fortunately the SOX went 11 innings last night and their BP may be a little thin. Hopefully the Cubs hitting will be able to rise to the occasion and our SP continues with their recent successes. Looks like we may get Schwarber and TLS back today. I don't think they even traveled to Arizona.

Russell could be one of the greatest shortstops ever, but as someone mentioned he’s had three kids by three women. I don’t say that as a prude, although children out of wedlock is a societal issue. Just because he has money doesn’t mean they will all be fine.
What this signals is a very unbalanced life. It’s all very troubling. I cannot imagine he appears in the White Sox series. And, I cannot help but point out there is a similar story playing out on a national stage, and it’s interesting how people will react to, and view each situation.

This is why I’ve been very open to the idea of trading Russell. This has been percolating for awhile, and with everything else swirling around his life I thought Theo might have tried to trade him.
Who knows, maybe he did.

I'd suspend him now and ask MLB to start an investigation. See if she cooperates. This will just be a sideshow the team doesn't need down the stretch and into the playoffs, especially if there's any appearance that the Cubs are sweeping anything under the rug.

Now, if MLB does start an investigation and she doesn't talk to investigators, then there's a conundrum, but I'd rather cross that bridge if we get there than to do nothing now out of fear of that bridge.

If he's done what she alleges, then he needs to pay the price and the Cubs need to move on. If he didn't do it or if the evidence is murky and inconclusive, maybe this can be the wake-up call he needs to change the way he's living his life and become a better person.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT