ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2018 thread*****

Regarding the AL vs NL debate... the good thing is we'll know which argument was the correct one in about three weeks.

I'm feeling pretty good about my stance.:p
I remember experts saying the Reds had no chance vs the A's bash brothers. Also said the same about Oreal vs the A's too.

Emotions are high in the Cubs front office right now. Let this sit for a couple of weeks, do a thorough evaluation of the season, assess strengths and weaknesses, and then start making decisions.

No way I fire Joe Maddon, that would be just stupid. If it wasn't for his masterfully working and managing the BP and working through the injuries to key players this year then the Cubs don't come close to winning 95 games. Don't be foolish Theo, and don't let your ego cloud your judgement.

The choice likely won't be to fire Maddon or not. It will be give him an extension or not, and if no extension does Maddon leave.

Reactions: dgordo
I get the part about being massively disappointed. As far as “waste of time and money” ... you were part of an electric post-season crowd and saw an amazing extra innings game.

I was catatonic after PSU beat Iowa on the last play of the game last year. But It wasn’t a waste of time or money to be there. Incredible game, amazing atmosphere but with a heart breaking finish. Never did I say “I wish that I stayed home and watched on TV.”

That’s your take on it. To me it was definitely a waste of time, if not money. The crowd was electric in the 8th inning and was probably the loudest of any sporting event I’ve ever been too. But there was very little to cheer about other than good pitching (and a great catch by Almora). By the 12th and 13th inning the crowd was restless and couldn’t muster all that much of an atmosphere. They were drained and just wanted it to be over.

I’ve been to plenty of losing games that I was glad I went to. This wasn’t one of them. If I had it to do over I don’t think I’d have gone. I drove 5 hours there and 5 hours back to see the game. If I lived in Chicago or was able to stay the night I may feel differently.

That’s your take on it. To me it was definitely a waste of time, if not money. The crowd was electric in the 8th inning and was probably the loudest of any sporting event I’ve ever been too. But there was very little to cheer about other than good pitching (and a great catch by Almora). By the 12th and 13th inning the crowd was restless and couldn’t muster all that much of an atmosphere. They were drained and just wanted it to be over.

I’ve been to plenty of losing games that I was glad I went to. This wasn’t one of them. If I had it to do over I don’t think I’d have gone. I drove 5 hours there and 5 hours back to see the game. If I lived in Chicago or was able to stay the night I may feel differently.

Ive made plenty of those drives getting home at 3am. Almost went last night, so glad I did not.

Reactions: cubsMDdmb
NFL to submit the following tutorial on how to sack the QB going forward...

100218_baez_arenado_hug.gif

I'm avoiding listening to The Score today. Is it a mess today or have they moved on to Bears talk yet?

Most of the callers were brutal, no surprise. Only Cubs talk today with short break to interview bankers sponsoring an upcoming marathon.

I get the part about being massively disappointed. As far as “waste of time and money” ... you were part of an electric post-season crowd and saw an amazing extra innings game.

I was catatonic after PSU beat Iowa on the last play of the game last year. But It wasn’t a waste of time or money to be there. Incredible game, amazing atmosphere but with a heart breaking finish. Never did I say “I wish that I stayed home and watched on TV.”
can't really compare that to the cubs crapping the bed.

I thought Contreras showed a lot of emotion and a lot of fire last night. He was slumped over sobbing in the dugout after the game. I can at least say that he cared.

Lester nailed it last night. He knows the pulse of the team and he's been on 3 World Champ teams. The Cubs got complacent at too many times throughout the year, took things for granted, quit grinding as hard as they needed to. Got their dicks kicked in the dirt, hope it wakes some of these guys up.
I didn't think we had much chance of winning it all, but damn I didn't think it'd be over before the ds even began!! :(

Reactions: cigaretteman
Since the Cubs 2018 season is officially over should we move all talk to the official Cubs 2019 thread?

I'm with you. Ready to start talking Hot Stove League. Do we want an off-season Hot Stove League thread or put all off season talk in a 2019 thread?

The nl central was statistically the best division in baseball this year and the only one with 4 teams with a winning record. Winning 95 games in that division is easily equal to winning 100 on most other divisions.
how was it statistically the best division?

how was it statistically the best division?

Four teams over .500. It's a tight race between NL Central and AL West for best division. Cincy and Texas were the last-place teams in those divisions. In AL West, Seattle finished 80-82 to the Pirates 82-79.

He'll be traded in the off-season for 25 cents on the dollar and the Cubs will get what ever they can for him.

Reactions: MitchL
Brief thoughts:
I can see the Cubs simply cutting ties with Russell.
Either way the infield must be revamped.
I need someone to explain where the money will come from to add a big FA. The Cubs need to move salary to add salary.
This team needs a lead off batter. Someone who can hold down one position that has good speed.
I think the bullpen will be in good shape. Tinkering is needed, but I can see Maples, Smyly and Webster stepping in.
What is the rotation? Can the Cubs turn Chatwood into something useful, or get someone to pick up half of his remaining money?

Deal Chatwood while eating a bunch of salary.

Trade Russell and get something, not much for him, but something.

Resign Hamels and the rotation is set with Lester, Hendricks, Yu, Quintana, Hamels.

Explore FA signing of Machado at SS, move Baez to 2nd, KB to 3rd, Rizzo 1st.

Lots of FA relievers available so there is a lot that can be done there. Some big name relievers on the market. We already have some good pieces there already.

Need a legit leadoff hitter. Tradeable assets at the MLB level to get that in Happ, Schwarber, etc.

Deal Chatwood while eating a bunch of salary.

Trade Russell and get something, not much for him, but something.

Resign Hamels and the rotation is set with Lester, Hendricks, Yu, Quintana, Hamels.

Explore FA signing of Machado at SS, move Baez to 2nd, KB to 3rd, Rizzo 1st.

Lots of FA relievers available so there is a lot that can be done there. Some big name relievers on the market. We already have some good pieces there already.

Need a legit leadoff hitter. Tradeable assets at the MLB level to get that in Happ, Schwarber, etc.
All these make sense, but I still think YD is a huge ???

Brief thoughts:
I can see the Cubs simply cutting ties with Russell.
Either way the infield must be revamped.
I need someone to explain where the money will come from to add a big FA. The Cubs need to move salary to add salary.
This team needs a lead off batter. Someone who can hold down one position that has good speed.
I think the bullpen will be in good shape. Tinkering is needed, but I can see Maples, Smyly and Webster stepping in.
What is the rotation? Can the Cubs turn Chatwood into something useful, or get someone to pick up half of his remaining money?

I tend to run more negative in this thread, but you raise a great point that the Pollyannas in this thread won't. Those who don't think the horrible contracts for Heyward and Darvish matter, and those who aren't concerned that there are still no pitching prospects, think that more money will solve every problem.

Baseball isn't different now, and there are punitive luxury tax penalties. Theo has been operating like a drunken sailor, playing only for today for the last two years, and has failed to improve the team in the process.

russell is cheap and under team control, let him serve his time and send him to AAA to prove he belongs.

Agree, just keep him under the radar for a while and let it blow over. I want to see how he plays without this hanging over his head. I would hate to sell this low on him.

Reactions: dgordo
His thoughts on Russell, it really sounds like they are looking at keeping him and helping him and his ex through this time. Wouldn't be surprised to see them get involved in something in the community regarding domestic violence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT