ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2019 thread*****

Didn't the Cubs just lose their assistant pitching coach to the Brewers? With Maddon's contract situation I wonder if it's a little ticklish to get a top tier replacement at this time? A lot of assistant coaches have found their new spots for next season already.
Edit: It was assistant hitting coach Andy Haines that left for the Brewers.

Last edited:
Sitting around today waiting for the GD F***** garage door repairman to show up, besides politics stuff I've been catching up on BN and BCB. It's going to be a very interesting offseason in general. Both sites are linking stuff about possible rebuilds for the Giants and Mariners. If both of those teams blow things up there are some awesome trade opportunities for the Cubs.
Erick Leal has probably pitched his way onto the 40 man roster. Nico Hoerner is raking in the AFL. And, a name I have mentioned before, Dakota Mekkes, looks more and more like a legitimate bullpen arm for 2019.
Mekkes has had some incredible stats at every level he's pitched in. Control may be a weakness. Hard to believe he doesn't make the Cubs top 30 prospect list.

Interesting that the cubs are floating that they are open to trading Bryant. Not sure what to make of that.

Interesting that the cubs are floating that they are open to trading Bryant. Not sure what to make of that.

I would think that it's about putting everyone on notice that anyone is tradeable. Discussions of one player can lead into discussions of another. That said, Bryant would also bring a haul.....even though I can't see it happening.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life

giphy.gif

Where did you see this??

Reactions: lucas80
Just saw the Buster Olney story. What ridiculous clickbait. He turned “nobody is untouchable” into the Cubs looking to trade Bryant. Total BS and Bryant is going nowhere.

Just saw the Buster Olney story. What ridiculous clickbait. He turned “nobody is untouchable” into the Cubs looking to trade Bryant. Total BS and Bryant is going nowhere.
All the national guys are worthless until a deal is almost done. Reading the local guys is better.

Reactions: MuscoHawk

1. Shocking, but probable.
2. Don’t buy it. Vegas still has Cubs as second most likely to land Harper.
3. Theo obviously wants him gone. Wants Girardi, Ross or DeRosa.
4. Chili was horrible. We now have 2 case studies of teams losing their power after being coached by Chili Davis (Red Sox and Cubs).
5. Nothingburger. “No one is untouchable” is GM-speak for “I’m not going to give you anything on what we’re actually planning on doing.”

Reactions: dgordo
1. Shocking, but probable.
2. Don’t buy it. Vegas still has Cubs as second most likely to land Harper.
3. Theo obviously wants him gone. Wants Girardi, Ross or DeRosa.
4. Chili was horrible. We now have 2 case studies of teams losing their power after being coached by Chili Davis (Red Sox and Cubs).
5. Nothingburger. “No one is untouchable” is GM-speak for “I’m not going to give you anything on what we’re actually planning on doing.”

1. Honestly, there's no reason for Russell not to be back unless they go in a direction where they just burn him for almost no return (or simply outright release him). If you see him as an asset for trade or for production, then dealing him now when he's facing another 30 games of suspension is pointless. Give him a chance to rehab his image and his game and see where things go.

2. We'll see. I have no problem with signing Harper, but it would necessitate moving a couple OF pieces and it would eat up any additional payroll flexibility unless they were able to be really creative in structuring his deal. I wouldn't put the Cubs as 2nd most likely, but if they decide to go after him, they'll be a player.

3. I don't think Theo wants Girardi. Theo wants a numbers guy and that's not Girardi. Ross or DeRosa, maybe.

4. Questions remain about Hickey. Are they tied to #3 about Joe? We'll see.

5. Agree on nothingburger. I highly doubt they'll move him, but if they do, it will be in a huge blockbuster for a big return. No way they move KB just to move him. Theo promised changes, but anything he does will be with the goal of making the team better right now. Moving KB just to move KB doesn't get them closer to a ring.

Reactions: dgordo
I'm not sure what to make of the Bryant talk. They could get a helluva haul for him I think. It might go back to their approach with him on a long term contract and Scott Boras standing in the way. Boras is still sore about the Cubs delay in bringing him up at the start of the 2015 season IMO. It will be interesting to see what kind of bounceback year Kris might have next year, wherever he might be.

I'm not sure what to make of the Bryant talk. They could get a helluva haul for him I think. It might go back to their approach with him on a long term contract and Scott Boras standing in the way. Boras is still sore about the Cubs delay in bringing him up at the start of the 2015 season IMO. It will be interesting to see what kind of bounceback year Kris might have next year, wherever he might be.

Meh on the Boras speculation. Boras is a pain in the a$$, but he's the top guy because he gets the best for his clients. He'll use the service time stuff as leverage and why Kris shouldn't sign a team friendly deal, but there's no way he is going to burn one of the biggest budgets in baseball 2 years before KB hits free agency.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucas80
i know you are being sarcastic, i follow ryno on Instagram, he seems pretty happy being on an endless vacation.
I followed him up the ramp to the sky boxes during 2017 (Well, until I got to security). He is in the HOF, he's rich, he has his health, and he's a handsome, handsome man. What's not to be happy about?

Reactions: hawkifann
Dear dgordo,

As the 1060 Project nears completion, we continue our efforts to preserve the Friendly Confines’ beauty, charm and historic features while upgrading your overall gameday experience. In addition to structural and façade updates, below are details on what you can expect at Wrigley Field this coming year.

New seat numbering system: In advance of the 2019 season, we will implement a new, more intuitive seat numbering system to make our ballpark easier to navigate. Transitioning to a conventional Section/Row/Seat configuration, common in most sports venues, will help alleviate confusion created by our current Aisle/Row/Seat configuration, including eliminating areas where contiguous seats have non-contiguous seat numbers. Renumbering our Upper Level sections also will more accurately reflect the amazing view and value of these seats. To help you prepare for the transition, please visit www.cubs.com/seatrenumbering for an updated Wrigley Field seating map, easy-to-use online seat converter and answers to frequently asked questions.

Upper Level amenities: In addition to spectacular views, fans will now enjoy several new amenities in the Upper Level, including an outdoor concourse featuring new food and beverage offerings. The left field portion of the new Upper Level outdoor concourse is scheduled to be completed by Opening Day, and the right field portion is scheduled to open in May. New restrooms – men’s, women’s and family – also will be available throughout the Upper Level, an increase of more than 60 percent of restroom fixtures in this area from last season.

Right field enhancements: New in 2019, fans will enjoy an expansive bar just inside the Wintrust Right Field Gate and concession stands. The former DraftKings Fantasy Sports Zone space will be refashioned to include an outdoor gathering space with a full service bar and a Cubs Store. Two women’s restrooms will be available in the right field area of the main concourse as well. Operational by August, a new elevator in the right field corner of the main concourse will assist fans with getting to the Terrace Level and Upper Level.

Seating and Budweiser Bleachers Deck: Seat replacement will continue in the Lower Level of Wrigley Field. Accessible seating will be added throughout the ballpark as well. New decks with seating and portable concessions will be added to the Terrace Level in the left and right field corners. As a continuation of the existing deck, the foul territory of the left field Budweiser Bleachers will be extended with new portables concessions and a view of the field.

Audi Club: Due to ongoing construction in this area throughout the season, the club will not be available in 2019. The new space, which is scheduled to be completed in advance of the 2020 season, will feature an enhanced design and elevated food and beverage offerings while continuing to deliver best-in-class service. We will share additional details as they are finalized in the coming year.

New premier clubs: Our three remaining premier clubs – Maker’s Mark Barrel Room, The W Club and Catalina Club – are scheduled to be ready by Opening Day 2019. Each will provide its members with a space separate from their seat, where they can enjoy a variety of special services and amenities before, during and after a game. To learn more, please visit www.cubspremier.com.

Enhanced Suites: We’re modernizing and expanding our Wrigley Field suites and incorporating game-changing new amenities. Each suite will feature a retractable glass wall, full-height refrigerator, outdoor drink rail, big screen TVs and much more. A new enclosed walkway also will be added throughout the Suite Level to provide a more comfortable walk to and from our suites. For additional details, please visit www.cubspremier.com.

We appreciate your continued support and patience as we work to preserve and improve our beloved ballpark and enhance your Season Ticket Holder experience.

Sincerely,
The Chicago Cubs

So, to sum up: More booze options, more booze options, more booze options, and the seating system that took me years to master is being changed.

But in case you missed it, there will be more booze options.
And, if you have a suite it will be easier to get to your booze, and harder to drop it over the railing.
Just let me know when it goes to $10 even for a beer. Which won’t stop me from drinking, it’s just nice to know.

And, if you have a suite it will be easier to get to your booze, and harder to drop it over the railing.
Just let me know when it goes to $10 even for a beer. Which won’t stop me from drinking, it’s just nice to know.

I’d guess this year. Wasn’t it 9.50 last season?

You don't do that now? Amateur. I bring a supplement to every sporting event I attend, and I used to bring a flask to the bar because it's a PITA waiting in line at a crowded bar. I know, tight ass. I prefer "practical drunk".

40 man rosters have to be set tomorrow. It will be interesting to see who gets bumped off, or added to the Cubs 40 man roster.

You don't do that now? Amateur. I bring a supplement to every sporting event I attend, and I used to bring a flask to the bar because it's a PITA waiting in line at a crowded bar. I know, tight ass. I prefer "practical drunk".

Yeah. Flasks are for football. But I might rethink.

The Cubs made a few moves of note. Justin Steele was put on the 40 man roster. He is the type of pitcher who could come to the big leagues fairly quickly next season. The Cubs picked up lefty reliever Ian Clarkin off of waivers from the White Sox, and added righty reliever Rowan Wick from the Padres in exchange for power hitting infielder Jason Vosler.
So, Theo protected one of his own who is close to being MLB ready, and added two who will probably bounce back and forth from Des Moines and Chicago next season.

ADVERTISEMENT