ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2020 thread*****

What a neat game. I’d forgotten about so many of the bit players on the bench. The umpiring crew is pretty well known. Dutch Rennert, Ed Montague, Eric Gregg, and Lee Weir behind the plate.
Rynocoukd have cracked 20 triples in this game, but on a double he didn’t risk it. What a smart, selfless player.
Harry is getting in his usual three plugs for Budweiser per half inning.

Reactions: TheCainer
Too bad that they cut away from the coverage. One of my favorite memories of that night is of WGN's Robert Jordan doing post game coverage of the celebration. He was a 40+ year newsman in Chicago, and always seemed cool and calm. A dignified guy. Someone came into one of his shots and dumped something on him, and he pushed them away. It was funny because putting him in that spot was bound to create such an event.

Posting this from BCB: Mayor Lori Lightfoot seems to think baseball will be played in Chicago this year, but without fans most likely. I find Al Yellon's comments that this will not happen to be curious. Take him for what you want to. There are clearly hurdles, but I think MLB and mayors really, really want sports to happen.
https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/202...ghtfoot-mlb-games-chicago-summer-without-fans

Reactions: dgordo
Of course the mayor of Chicago wants MLB games played in Illinois. Game checks earned in Illinois are subject to state income tax. With two teams full of multi-million dollar salaried players, and their opponents, playing in town that's a lot of missed tax revenue.

Of course the mayor of Chicago wants MLB games played in Illinois. Game checks earned in Illinois are subject to state income tax. With two teams full of multi-million dollar salaried players, and their opponents, playing in town that's a lot of missed tax revenue.
True, but, there is a emotional/mental health angle. I try to not over value sports, but, having your team in your city would mean a lot to people.

True, but, there is a emotional/mental health angle. I try to not over value sports, but, having your team in your city would mean a lot to people.

ken Rosenthal wrote something in the athletic today that he’s convinced there will be baseball this year.

She's a big baseball fan. A longtime White Sox season ticket holder.

Marquee is now playing “mystery games”. It’s kind of fun. You have to figure out the year and date. They are playing one from September of 2012 right now. Lots of dudes I can’t recall being a Cub on display, especially random bullpen guys.
Damn, I really thought Brian LaHair was going to be a star.

What do my fellow Cubs fans think about the DH in the NL this year? I think the Cubs should leave Schwarber in LF and let Caratini DH when he isn't giving Contreras a day off behind the plate. Would love to have Caratini's bat in the lineup every day.

What do my fellow Cubs fans think about the DH in the NL this year? I think the Cubs should leave Schwarber in LF and let Caratini DH when he isn't giving Contreras a day off behind the plate. Would love to have Caratini's bat in the lineup every day.

schwarber is a much better LFer than he gets credit for, his defense has really improved. I’m with you.

Kingman hit some monstrous homers pre-steroid era. He'd be an interesting guy to look at with advanced metrics. As I recall he didn't ever hit for much of an average.

Kingman hit some monstrous homers pre-steroid era. He'd be an interesting guy to look at with advanced metrics. As I recall he didn't ever hit for much of an average.
About 17 WAR awfully similar to Adam Dunn minus the walks but probably better defensive value. To make it about even.

I'm all for the DH but I'd disagree on Schwarbs....he has gotten better but he's still slow as hell and first step reaction just isn't great. Doesn't matter though, the front office loves him so he'll probably stay in left. Hopefully the players just approve the plan so there's a season.....MLB has a huge opportunity here which is why I think they will blow it. Manfred is a joke

I wish Marquee and DTV would work this *bleep* out. Under normal circumstances, Marquee would be a "nice to have" for some of the added content, but I'd be watching games via MLB.TV from Charlotte. Now, with no live games, I can't access any of the content Marquee is running because I'm outside their region.

I'm all for the DH but I'd disagree on Schwarbs....he has gotten better but he's still slow as hell and first step reaction just isn't great. Doesn't matter though, the front office loves him so he'll probably stay in left. Hopefully the players just approve the plan so there's a season.....MLB has a huge opportunity here which is why I think they will blow it. Manfred is a joke
Yeah, I think this DH will be great for the Cubs. This will allow them to keep Schwarber in the lineup and give Souza more playing time to see if he can regain any form from when he was a pretty good player/prosepect. Also will give Almora more ABs than I was thinking he would get (I am hopefull and assuming Happ gets the majority of ABs except maybe for a defensive substitution). Although it is entirely possible the Happ/Almora rotation will be based on the opposing pitcher.

ADVERTISEMENT