ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2020 thread*****

Weaker in terms of balance or weaker in terms of the gap of best to worst? Cause you could easily make an argument that NYY/TB/Boston are the strongest top three in ANY division in MLB.

You could also make the argument that the Dodgers, or the Astros, are the strongest top one of ANY division in MLB. That doesn't make their division stronger than the other divisions.

Believe it or not, there is a real nice ballpark in Gary, Indiana that would be a good training site if available. It belongs to an independent professional baseball team, the Railcats. Whether it is currently being used or not, I don't know.

The NCAA played part of their baseball tournament there a few years ago.
Okay, but I am sure they think they could control things better, and the Cubs have forced all affiliates to improve ST facilities.
In Gary they could only offer bullet dodging drills.

Last edited:
Oils, but I am sure they think they could control things better, and the Cubs have forced all affiliates to improve ST facilities.
In Gary they could only offer bullet dodging drills.
It's really not that bad there now.

FWIW, I drove by that stadium 10 times a week for nearly the past year. Never saw any incidents.

You could also make the argument that the Dodgers, or the Astros, are the strongest top one of ANY division in MLB. That doesn't make their division stronger than the other divisions.
So name me a division with a stronger top three than the AL East. You probably can't. In reality... today, the NYY are likely the WS favorite, so the oddsmakers would probably predict a LAD/NYY WS.

So name me a division with a stronger top three than the AL East. You probably can't. In reality... today, the NYY are likely the WS favorite, so the oddsmakers would probably predict a LAD/NYY WS.

MitchLL, I've read your posts in this thread so I know you aren't real bright, but I never said anything about the top 3 in any division. You did. I said the AL East, the NL West, and the AL Central are probably weaker than the NL Central.

MitchLL, I've read your posts in this thread so I know you aren't real bright, but I never said anything about the top 3 in any division. You did. I said the AL East, the NL West, and the AL Central are probably weaker than the NL Central.
I'm plenty bright. The discussion is how to measure the metrics... top to bottom/top one/top three. Calling the NL Central stronger than the AL East does call into question your intelligence, tho.

I'm plenty bright. The discussion is how to measure the metrics... top to bottom/top one/top three. Calling the NL Central stronger than the AL East does call into question your intelligence, tho.

Well obviously if you are talking about the whole division, then you talk about top to bottom.

I am thinking the Cubs might go 40-20 in the regular season.

giphy.gif

Jebus, I had completely forgotten about the TV shenanigans occurring this season.

Right now, if you discount ESPN non blackout games, MLBN, FS1 and Fox - for YTTV subscribers I believe that the White Sox are now the only MLB team with an RSN for Iowa via NBCSN-Chicago. We lost the all the other midwest teams.

So, yay...I'll get to see a shitload of Yankees and both Sox for two months. But hey, we're getting Viacom networks soon, so hooraaaaaaaaay :eek: Hopefully they sign up Marquee and they don't do one of those messed up "local market only" agreements like they did with all the Fox RSN's (which would mean in effect Chicagoland only).

Finally......... Kyle Schwarber can be used as he should be. Make him the DH and find someone with a hint of defensive ability and insert that player in LF.

I'm hoping this helps the NL to catch up with the times.

Reactions: mstp1992
I heard on the Score this morning that the radio crew will not travel, even to the South Side. They will call away games from the booth at Wrigley with multiple monitors from the TV feed.
They went a little bit in depth about how a lot of the interviews will just have to be a guy on a cell phone for this year. I have not heard, yet, if there will be a traveling pool or what for the media.

I breathlessly checked that hoping Descalso wouldn't be on it.
I am not convinced he makes the final roster, however. Bright side of the pandemic, he really, really isn't owed much now. :)

Anyone see a schedule yet? I see the Yankees and Nationals will open up the season on the 23rd but I haven't been able to find anything else. Maybe I just suck at google?

What are the odds MLB actually finishes the season? I would put them at no greater than 10%.

I think they will start, and finish, but we will see a lot more stars opt out, guys disappear for two weeks, and a lot of AAAA players get some service time.
Edit: I do think how each team handles their taxi squads and prospects will be fascinating. Do you burn a year on a prospect like the Cubs may do with Marquez?

Game four of the 2016 NLDS is on Marquee. Other than Bryan to Rizzo to seal the WS, this is my favorite moment/game of the post season that year.

Game four of the 2016 NLDS is on Marquee. Other than Bryan to Rizzo to seal the WS, this is my favorite moment/game of the post season that year.

Looks like another great moment later tonight with Montero’s grand slam in Game 1 against the Dodgers.

Reactions: dgordo
Theo cut one of his biggest mistakes today. Brandon Morrow has been released. Well, apparently this was done on Monday, but nobody noticed. Not a huge financial hit, but his arm was shredded by Dave Roberts in LA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT