ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2020 thread*****

The manager will be Ross. Hoerner will be starting. They really won’t have the resources to sign a premier free agent. Like it or not, Kimbrel will be back and if he’s not, the money owed to him will still impact the team.

This is a flawed organization created by Theo and Jed, I highly doubt they will be able to correct all, or even half, of what needs to be fixed. They have not been very good at their job. Yet Theo will come out and accept responsibility and everyone will fawn over his transparency. He created this mess.
I think they should all be outside Wrigley at the end of the season. Anyone that would like to stop by gets to kick one of them in the ass.

Reactions: win1forthe
Craig Kimbrel has just completed the first year of a
three contract for 43 million dollars. Mr. Kimbrel is
certainly not trade bait, so the Cubs are stuck with
him for 2 more years.

Cubs have a REAL problem in regards to Rizzo. He sure looks like he's starting to break down, physically. If he's considered one of the cornerstones going forward, there's a huge risk with a long term contract. He's also reduced any trade value with his injury situation. But he's well like/respected and a rock in the clubhouse.

I doubt the Cubs get a home town discount with Rizzo because he needs to be a bit selfish in regards to his long term financial well being.

Who would have ever dreamed the team would be this unstable given only being three years out from a WS?

Oh, and that pitching staff.:rolleyes:

Cubs have a REAL problem in regards to Rizzo. He sure looks like he's starting to break down, physically. If he's considered one of the cornerstones going forward, there's a huge risk with a long term contract. He's also reduced any trade value with his injury situation. But he's well like/respected and a rock in the clubhouse.

I doubt the Cubs get a home town discount with Rizzo because he needs to be a bit selfish in regards to his long term financial well being.

Who would have ever dreamed the team would be this unstable given only being three years out from a WS?

Oh, and that pitching staff.:rolleyes:

He’s under contract at a discount for 2020 and 2021.

Reactions: hawkifann
Tom Ricketts must decide if he still has faith in Theo.

The top tier of Cub management must start making
the big decisions that will impact the team for the next
five years. Who are the core players they want to keep?
Can they make some trades to upgrade their pitching?
Are there any free agents this winter who are good?

He won't be back as a Cub after 2021 unless he signs at a discount (again).
Rizzo could play the long game and sign another hometown discount, retire as a Cub, and make millions and millions for the rest of his life post-baseball in endorsements as a Cub icon. Any way you slice it he's never going to be short of money, so at this point I think he'll be a making a lifestyle choice.

Rizzo could play the long game and sign another hometown discount, retire as a Cub, and make millions and millions for the rest of his life post-baseball in endorsements as a Cub icon. Any way you slice it he's never going to be short of money, so at this point I think he'll be a making a lifestyle choice.

I have wondered if the cubs would offer rizzo a fair contract to serve as the face of the team during the next rebuild.

I have wondered if the cubs would offer rizzo a fair contract to serve as the face of the team during the next rebuild.

I think a "fair" contract is the only contract Rizzo is going to get at this point. Look around, no teams are willing to pay a premium for aging superstars anymore. Rizzo will probably be able to get more from the Cubs than anyone else.

I assume they could work in language to allow him to be put out to stud in the suites like Ryno. Give him a lifetime services contract. He’d be great at that.

Rizzo will be 32 when he hits free agency. Not even remotely comparable to Trout.
Hey, doofus... I'm talking about a contract BEFORE he reaches free agency.

Keep up!:rolleyes: Trout signed a new deal at age 28. Rizzo could do the same at age 30.

Last edited:
Does Chatwood stay in the bullpen or do they try him in the rotation again?

Ideally, I think the pen. Give him a role and let him go be full force for about 25-30 pitches a few times per week. His stuff has never been in question.

Ideally, I think the pen. Give him a role and let him go be full force for about 25-30 pitches a few times per week. His stuff has never been in question.

this should not be a consideration, but he makes too much money to be a middle reliever. after some success this year he will be given a chance to start.

My predictions. Keep in mind the cubs have 63 million coming off the books (Hammels, Zobrist, Morrow, Strop, Cisek, Kintzler Duensing)
  • I dont think this team needs a complete rebuild, but they need a retool. They have a whole bunch of individuals who put up decent numbers, but collectively they dont win games. They need more contact, more walks, and better defense.
  • Joe Maddon deserves a statue outside wrigley for 4 straight postseaons and winning the big one. But its time to move on. Complete collapses in September the last two years.
  • Cubs sign Mark DeRosa to manage
  • Cubs Resign Castellanos (22 million of 63 million accounted for)
  • Trade Contreas. They need a better pitch framer and more contact. I bet they add a veteran to platoon with Caratini ( 5 million)
    • Hopefully replenish the farm and get a big league reliever
  • Trade 1 of Schwarber or Happ.
  • Sign someone similar to Cisek from 2 years ago (6 million)
  • Hamels replacement comes from in house (Colin Rea, Chatwood, Graverman, Abbot, Mills, or Tyson Miller)
  • Sign an OF that gets on base and leads off.
  • Lock up Baez and Rizzo.
  • Non- Tender Russell, Hoerner plays every day at 2B

this should not be a consideration, but he makes too much money to be a middle reliever. after some success this year he will be given a chance to start.

But here's the thing. The money is spent.....and I'm not talking about him being a "middle" reliever. I'm saying he should be given a chance to start, but plan B needs to be looking at him hard for a top set-up role and possibly even closer if Kimbrel comes back next year pitching like this (he won't, but his prime days are behind him, clearly) be a potential closer option.

At this point, the "too much money" argument is garbage. The Cubs need to assemble the roster however they can to maximize the depth of talent within whatever budget the Ricketts set. If Chatwood is too inefficient to regularly go 6 innings, I don't want to stuff him into the rotation just because he makes "starter money" from a decision two offseasons ago if he could be a plus bullpen arm.

My predictions. Keep in mind the cubs have 63 million coming off the books (Hammels, Zobrist, Morrow, Strop, Cisek, Kintzler Duensing)
  • I dont think this team needs a complete rebuild, but they need a retool. They have a whole bunch of individuals who put up decent numbers, but collectively they dont win games. They need more contact, more walks, and better defense.
  • Joe Maddon deserves a statue outside wrigley for 4 straight postseaons and winning the big one. But its time to move on. Complete collapses in September the last two years.
  • Cubs sign Mark DeRosa to manage
  • Cubs Resign Castellanos (22 million of 63 million accounted for)
  • Trade Contreas. They need a better pitch framer and more contact. I bet they add a veteran to platoon with Caratini ( 5 million)
  • Trade 1 of Schwarber or Happ.
  • Sign someone similar to Cisek from 2 years ago (6 million)
  • Hamels replacement comes from in house (Colin Rea, Chatwood, Graverman, Abbot, Mills, or Tyson Miller)
  • Sign an OF that gets on base and leads off.
  • Lock up Baez and Rizzo.
  • Non- Tender Russell, Hoerner plays every day at 2B

Excellent predictions.

Looks like 84-88 wins.

Theo will be on The Score, Thursday at 2:00 Central. He will take some blame, speak about accountability, and yet say absolutely nothing.

The Cubs have made a practice of firing position coaches the last couple offseaons, and will let Maddon's contract expire.

No player or coach has been as bad at their job for the last 3 years as Jason McLeod. He has severely damaged the organization by being completely incompetent at his job, particularly in the area of pitching.

What does Theo do with him? Moves him to a different department and makes him a Senior VP.

"Accountability for you, but not for me and my friends."

Craig Kimbrel has just completed the first year of a
three contract for 43 million dollars. Mr. Kimbrel is
certainly not trade bait, so the Cubs are stuck with
him for 2 more years.
So you're saying they'll be paying a set up type reliever closer money???

Kimbrel will be laughing all the way to the bank. His agent is a genius.

But here's the thing. The money is spent.....and I'm not talking about him being a "middle" reliever. I'm saying he should be given a chance to start, but plan B needs to be looking at him hard for a top set-up role and possibly even closer if Kimbrel comes back next year pitching like this (he won't, but his prime days are behind him, clearly) be a potential closer option.

At this point, the "too much money" argument is garbage. The Cubs need to assemble the roster however they can to maximize the depth of talent within whatever budget the Ricketts set. If Chatwood is too inefficient to regularly go 6 innings, I don't want to stuff him into the rotation just because he makes "starter money" from a decision two offseasons ago if he could be a plus bullpen arm.

they would be better off paying someone to take him away if he can’t start.

The Chicago Cubs need to assemble their 2020 roster
based on a player's performance and not a player's
paycheck. Other teams have had to eat the salary of
a non-performing player. They pay him what they owe
him, but he is no longer on the roster.

Then you might as well get rid of him now. How can they possibly rebuild their entire pitching staff this offseason? They need 3 starters and lots of bullpen pitching. Refusing to develop any pitching is catching up with them. But, they can never take 2016 away.
how do you figure we need 3 starters?

Maybe a bobblehead......

And willy better not be going anywhere :)

ADVERTISEMENT