ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2020 thread*****

Joe Girardi got 4 World Series Championship rings
with the Yankees. Three as a player and one as a
manager. He gave his 1996 WS Ring to his dad who
let me try it on and wear for it 5 minutes. Joe's dad
and our family lived in the same subdivision.

Reactions: hawkssox1
That's very cool, Lute, an experience that not everyone has. Good for you.

I'd be happy with Joe Girardi or David Ross. I am more curious to see how the changes on the roster play out.

As 33hawkfan said, if the Cubs don't do a "soft rebuild" right now, they will be in absolutely horrible shape come 2022. Their pitching staff at that point will consist of a 32 year-old Kyle Hendricks (likely topping out at 85) and a 35 year old Yu Darvish, who will be way past his prime.

Sure, they will have money to spend, but the reason the free agent market has been frigid in recent years because teams are too smart to pay 31 year olds for past performance.

All of you would do well to lower your expectations. The Cubs absolutely will not win another World Series under Theo's leadership, and probably won't win the division before he leaves either.

Some of us tried to warn you of the storm clouds in the summer of 2018, but you were so drunk on thinking Theo is the smartest baseball mind ever because he broke two curses, that obvious facts were ignored.

The Cubs pitching outlook for the foreseeable future is absolutely awful. And if anybody comes in here touting Adbert Alzolay as a good option (who FanGraphs doesn't even project as an average MLB starter) I might lose my mind.

Reactions: LuteHawk
im a big joe espada fan
Have you seen how he handles the media? I’ve read his bio. It is interesting, that’s for sure. A large component of working in Chicago is handling a media base that is vocal and bare knuckled.

Somewhere at an undisclosed location, Theo Epstein
is now interviewing candidates for the Cubs new
manager. Will he take more than 2 weeks?

A lot of good young managers are showing that's not necessarily true. Not that I'm all-in on Ross, but it's not necessarily a critical component.
I ask this because I honestly don't know. Have the good young managers had any type of coaching experience? Not sold on going from broadcast booth to managing a team that would seem to be in position to fight for a playoff spot when he has zero coaching experience

Some names from the Chi Trib:Carlos Beltran,Bruce Bochy,Joe Girardi,Raul Ibanez,Mark Loretta,David Ross and Kevin Youklis.

I ask this because I honestly don't know. Have the good young managers had any type of coaching experience? Not sold on going from broadcast booth to managing a team that would seem to be in position to fight for a playoff spot when he has zero coaching experience

Here's a run-down of the managers in the playoffs:
  • Rocco Baldelli (Twins): After retiring in 2011, he stayed with the Rays as a special assistant for baseball ops and roving minor league hitting/OF coach. In 2014 Kevin Cash made him the Rays first base coach and in 2017, he was promoted to a new major league field coordinator role, which analyzed tendencies of opposing hitters, coached defensive skills and helped the team with new defensive strategies.
  • Aaron Boone (Yankees): TV broadcast booth from 2010-2017, then right to Yankees manager.
  • AJ Hinch (Astros): 2005-2008 manager of minor league operations for DBacks and in 2006 became director of player development. Managed DBacks from May 2009-July 2010, then went to the Padres as vp of professional scouting from 2010-2014. Named manager of the Astros in late 2014.
  • Kevin Cash (Rays): Advanced scout for Blue Jays in 2012, then joined Terry Francona in Cleveland as their bullpen coach and stayed through 2014. He was named manager of the Rays in 2015.
  • Bob Melvin (A's): Much more traditional route. Coached in a variety of organizations from 1996-2004 and has managed Mariners, DBacks and A's (A's since 2011).
  • Craig Counsell (Brewers): Caught on with Brewers in 2012 as special assistant to Doug Melvin and also spent time as a part-time radio analyst. Named manager in 2015.
  • Mike Shildt (Cardinals): Been in the Cardinals organization since 2006, working his way up the minor leagues until being named Cards manager last season.
  • Dave Martinez (Nats): Dave became a spring training instructor with the Rays in 2006 & 2007 and then was the Rays bench coach beginning in 2008 and then followed Maddon, remaining bench coach, to Chicago. He was named manager of the Nats in 2018.
  • Dave Roberts (Dodgers): Started as first-base coach with the Padres in 2010 and became Padres bench coach in 2014. He was named manager of the Dodgers for the 2016 season.
  • Brian Snitker (Braves): Snitker has been in the Braves system since retiring as a minor league player in 1980. He's managed throughout the Braves minor league system and has had periodic major league coaching roles during that time. He was named manager for the 2017 season.

Here's a run-down of the managers in the playoffs:
  • Rocco Baldelli (Twins): After retiring in 2011, he stayed with the Rays as a special assistant for baseball ops and roving minor league hitting/OF coach. In 2014 Kevin Cash made him the Rays first base coach and in 2017, he was promoted to a new major league field coordinator role, which analyzed tendencies of opposing hitters, coached defensive skills and helped the team with new defensive strategies.
  • Aaron Boone (Yankees): TV broadcast booth from 2010-2017, then right to Yankees manager.
  • AJ Hinch (Astros): 2005-2008 manager of minor league operations for DBacks and in 2006 became director of player development. Managed DBacks from May 2009-July 2010, then went to the Padres as vp of professional scouting from 2010-2014. Named manager of the Astros in late 2014.
  • Kevin Cash (Rays): Advanced scout for Blue Jays in 2012, then joined Terry Francona in Cleveland as their bullpen coach and stayed through 2014. He was named manager of the Rays in 2015.
  • Bob Melvin (A's): Much more traditional route. Coached in a variety of organizations from 1996-2004 and has managed Mariners, DBacks and A's (A's since 2011).
  • Craig Counsell (Brewers): Caught on with Brewers in 2012 as special assistant to Doug Melvin and also spent time as a part-time radio analyst. Named manager in 2015.
  • Mike Shildt (Cardinals): Been in the Cardinals organization since 2006, working his way up the minor leagues until being named Cards manager last season.
  • Dave Martinez (Nats): Dave became a spring training instructor with the Rays in 2006 & 2007 and then was the Rays bench coach beginning in 2008 and then followed Maddon, remaining bench coach, to Chicago. He was named manager of the Nats in 2018.
  • Dave Roberts (Dodgers): Started as first-base coach with the Padres in 2010 and became Padres bench coach in 2014. He was named manager of the Dodgers for the 2016 season.
  • Brian Snitker (Braves): Snitker has been in the Braves system since retiring as a minor league player in 1980. He's managed throughout the Braves minor league system and has had periodic major league coaching roles during that time. He was named manager for the 2017 season.
So Boone and Counsell were the only ones to not have any sort of coaching experience.

they interviewed joe on the score this morning and he said he hasn’t heard anything from the cubs and wasn’t sure if he would. Nothing groundbreaking but he did sound interested.

I heard the interview—he definitely sounded interested.

I was all on board with Ross but now I’m kind of liking Girardi.

I care very little about who the manager is. They will still have the same old pitching staff, maxed payroll, and horrific farm system.

I would be far more enthusiastic had Jason McLeod been fired, rather than reassigned. That guy does not deserve a job with the Cubs.

If Steve Stone is accurate in his cyclical description
of managers, then Ross will not follow Maddon.

If Steve Stone is accurate in his cyclical description
of managers, then Ross will not follow Maddon.

There's tradition to that argument (even if it's not universally true)....but right now, the trend in baseball is analytics-driven strategy paired with player development. The manager won't be heavily involved in minor league development, but there will be some young arms coming up in the next couple years and there are still some young players on this team. Those areas may carry more weight than simply going from a player's coach to a disciplinarian.

Also at issue will be to hire a guy that some of the key guys they want to extend will want to play for.

Jon Morosi was on the Score today suggesting that the Rangers might be a good trading partner for the Cubs if they are looking to unload KB. That is according to a write up on Bleacher Nation. Pretty hard to part with one of the most recognizable faces of the organization unless you get a gigantic haul in return. But, the Rangers have a need, and they are opening a new stadium next year (Yes, another new stadium).
Who knows, there is a history of the two teams making deals, and the Rangers have some talent in their system.

Jon Morosi was on the Score today suggesting that the Rangers might be a good trading partner for the Cubs if they are looking to unload KB. That is according to a write up on Bleacher Nation. Pretty hard to part with one of the most recognizable faces of the organization unless you get a gigantic haul in return. But, the Rangers have a need, and they are opening a new stadium next year (Yes, another new stadium).
Who knows, there is a history of the two teams making deals, and the Rangers have some talent in their system.
Any names mentioned on the Texas side?

Any names mentioned on the Texas side?
Danny Santana and Willie Calhoun, plus some pitchers. At that point they were just throwing out names. I think the point is Morosi was looking at what teams have a need, and probably won't be in the Rendon sweepstakes.

Raul Ibanez appears to be out of the running.
From what I can tell Loretta, Ross, and Girardi have all had in person interviews, or at a minimum phone contact with Theo. I suspect that is not the full list, just the list of guys with decent agents.

One guy that won't be in Chicago next season is Gleyber Torres! Game isn't over yet, but he's likely the ALDS MVP for the Yankees.!

On behalf of Yankees fans worldwide... THANK YOU THEO:p:p:p:p:p

Last edited:
Reactions: LuteHawk
giphy.gif

If Cubs fans are happy... then so be it. And if one WS appearance per century makes Cub fans happy... so be it.

But the Yanks getting Torres may be a close second to the most one sided trade in MLB history... Yanks getting Babe Ruth from Boston.

Cashman worked Einstein and as of today... the Cubs are in complete disarray. Enjoy the current second base carnival of Russell/Descalso/Bote.

Very good analysis by Brett Taylor. Almora's number is quite low, and as a #4 or #5 outfielder he makes sense. I still think he has value. He is what he is offensively. Just let him concentrate on lefties and weak righties, and hope his defense goes back to his career norm next season.
You can throw whatever number you want out there for Russell, he won't get it from the Cubs next season. He might eventually wind up back with the Cubs, but it will be for a much smaller dollar amount. Personally I think this is a situation where he needs to start over somewhere else.

Danny Santana and Willie Calhoun, plus some pitchers. At that point they were just throwing out names. I think the point is Morosi was looking at what teams have a need, and probably won't be in the Rendon sweepstakes.
Would imagine trading someone like Bryant would signal a near complete rebuild. If that's the case... guys like Baez might not be willing to wait for that.

Keeping Javy happy for two more years might be a problem.

I care very little about who the manager is. They will still have the same old pitching staff, maxed payroll, and horrific farm system.

I would be far more enthusiastic had Jason McLeod been fired, rather than reassigned. That guy does not deserve a job with the Cubs.
It'll be a few month before we have any idea what the pitching staff will look like......

ADVERTISEMENT