ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2020 thread*****

So you'd have been totally fine with him posting 0 combined WAR in 2017-2018, playing less than 100 games total because maybe he'll someday hit potential? And you would rather have had his -0.9 WAR season in 2017 than Davis's 32 saves in 33 chances in a season where the Cubs went to the NLCS? Are you out of your mind?
To be fair, there is no guarantee he gets hurt if he stays with the cubs.
That said, I wouldn't bet against it lol.

Not sure why others are making such a big fuss about soler. He's a fairly low obp guy that slugs and plays mediocre OF. Sound like anyone else? :D

If schwarber can learn to beat the shift he could be a beast and its one thing I'd like to see change with Joe gone. I am so sick of seeing other teams slap the bal opposite of our shift while our guys either strike out of just hit right into it. Whatever happen to the damn slap hit?

To be fair, there is no guarantee he gets hurt if he stays with the cubs.
That said, I wouldn't bet against it lol.

Not sure why others are making such a big fuss about soler. He's a fairly low obp guy that slugs and plays mediocre OF. Sound like anyone else? :D

If schwarber can learn to beat the shift he could be a beast and its one thing I'd like to see change with Joe gone. I am so sick of seeing other teams slap the bal opposite of our shift while our guys either strike out of just hit right into it. Whatever happen to the damn slap hit?

I believe the cubs led the league in opposite field hits this year. What the cubs really need to get better at is hitting the ball in the air.

I believe the cubs led the league in opposite field hits this year. What the cubs really need to get better at is hitting the ball in the air.
how many on the ground and vs the shift? which players were leading the team?

The Cubs will show where their priorities are for 2020,
when the name of their new manager is announced.

Bruce Levine was just on the Score and he said that the Cubs will interview Gabe Kapler. Interesting development. He did not have success at Philadelphia, but their owner is a lunatic. This might just be an attempt to gather information and some viewpoints. That's fine, and Kapler gets a chance to interview, too. He has significant experience in player development, so I wouldn't discount that the Cubs may have him in mind for another job inside the organization besides manager.
Espada will interview today. I saw story somewhere, maybe BCB, that Beltran is out of the running. He wants the Mets job.

Reactions: dgordo
Cubs catching minor leaguer Jhonny Pereda received a nice honor today. He was named the best defensive catcher in all minor league levels. Pereda was a 2013 IFA out of Venezuela and got to AA this season. He has the capability to develop into a solid back up catcher in the majors.
In general I am down on the Cubs system, but they do have a bunch of catchers in the system with MLB promise.

Reactions: dgordo
Major shuffling of roles in player development this morning. I’d post the link, but even to me these are just names. What is important at first glance is that this all seems internal. No new outside voices.

Major shuffling of roles in player development this morning. I’d post the link, but even to me these are just names. What is important at first glance is that this all seems internal. No new outside voices.

Justin stone is a heck of a hitting coach, he is a legend in the chicago baseball community.

The longer it takes for the Cubs to name a new manager,
their chances of making a mistake are less. This is a big
deal and Theo cannot afford to make a bad choice.

The longer it takes for the Cubs to name a new manager,
their chances of making a mistake are less. This is a big
deal and Theo cannot afford to make a bad choice.
They will name a manager right after the WS. It is fairly common for vacancies to last until the first GM/Owners meetings that occur about a week after the WS ends.

Lucas80 probably forgot that the L.A. Angels named
Joe Maddon their new manager during the playoffs.
They did not wait for the GM/Owners meeting after
the World Series.

Lucas80 probably forgot that the L.A. Angels named
Joe Maddon their new manager during the playoffs.
They did not wait for the GM/Owners meeting after
the World Series.
And, it’s officially frowned upon by MLB. However, they did it before the first pitch of game 1.

Hmm, is his “highly placed source” his ESPN teammate Jesse Rogers? Because he was on the radio yesterday afternoon saying it was likely to be Ross announced by Thursday.

i doubt it, more likely someone in the FO. Kaplan is close, probably too close, with them.

Holy crap! Kap just said Kris Bryant is waiting on a decision that will make him a FA 1 year early if they find in his favor.

Kap just broke this — can’t find anything on Twitter.

Holy crap! Kap just said Kris Bryant is waiting on a decision that will make him a FA 1 year early if they find in his favor.

Kap just broke this — can’t find anything on Twitter.

its on his Twitter account. His grievance hearing from 2015 is finally being held. If he wins it’s a total sham, the cubs didn’t do anything wrong waiting to bring him up.

Reactions: lucas80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT