ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2020 thread*****

Why? You a masochist?

It's a pragmatic view. A good Craig Kimbrel is a huge boost to this bullpen. I know all the reasons why he might be done.....but at the moment, we're 11 games into the season and I'm not ready to make a rash move. I get that every game is worth 2.7 compared to normal, but if a regular got out to a slow start and was having a crappy season 30 games into the season, would we be looking at an outright cut? Probably not. I want to find all the "safe" spaces possible to see if Kimbrel can get himself turned around.

If he can't, they'll have to move on at some point, but I'm not ready yet. That said, I'm also totally fine with letting Jeffress or Wick assume closer duties - but I think I'd still look for some moments that matter to try to get Kimbrel in there over the next week.

Bottom line for me - right now, if you drop Kimbrel, you're replacing him with someone from South Bend. Maybe that's a young arm like Marquez or Carroway, but unless a guy like that is the pick, you're replacing him with a guy who's likely upside is way less than this year's even mid-range expectations for Kimbrel.

Reactions: TheCainer
If Chatwood performs again do we want Q back in the starting rotation?

If Chatwood and Mills keep delivering, the Cubs are in a good position when Q comes back. He's injury insurance or could be an arm in the pen. Or, if Chatwood stays this sharp, maybe Q jumps in the rotation and Chatwood becomes closer. Either way, Q does nothing but help the Cubs depth.

If Chatwood and Mills keep delivering, the Cubs are in a good position when Q comes back. He's injury insurance or could be an arm in the pen. Or, if Chatwood stays this sharp, maybe Q jumps in the rotation and Chatwood becomes closer. Either way, Q does nothing but help the Cubs depth.

He helps depth but I don't want him to be artificially inserted into a starting rotation that is killing it right now. It's a good problem to have at this point though.

He helps depth but I don't want him to be artificially inserted into a starting rotation that is killing it right now. It's a good problem to have at this point though.

I agree with this. When he's back, I'd look at putting him in the pen to start and/or grabbing one of those 7 inning double header starts.

Hendricks, Darvish and Lester are locks to remain in the rotation almost no matter what. Mills should stay until his performance warrants removal. Chatwood, if he stays sharp, could be a guy who helps a bullpen, that's why I think his spot could be where Q lands.....but yeah, if the pen stays "good enough" and the starters are killing it, I'm not sure where Q goes.

It's a pragmatic view. A good Craig Kimbrel is a huge boost to this bullpen. I know all the reasons why he might be done.....but at the moment, we're 11 games into the season and I'm not ready to make a rash move. I get that every game is worth 2.7 compared to normal, but if a regular got out to a slow start and was having a crappy season 30 games into the season, would we be looking at an outright cut? Probably not. I want to find all the "safe" spaces possible to see if Kimbrel can get himself turned around.

If he can't, they'll have to move on at some point, but I'm not ready yet. That said, I'm also totally fine with letting Jeffress or Wick assume closer duties - but I think I'd still look for some moments that matter to try to get Kimbrel in there over the next week.

Bottom line for me - right now, if you drop Kimbrel, you're replacing him with someone from South Bend. Maybe that's a young arm like Marquez or Carroway, but unless a guy like that is the pick, you're replacing him with a guy who's likely upside is way less than this year's even mid-range expectations for Kimbrel.
That is well reasoned and logical. However, he was trash last year, and has been trash so far this year.

I agree with this. When he's back, I'd look at putting him in the pen to start and/or grabbing one of those 7 inning double header starts.

Hendricks, Darvish and Lester are locks to remain in the rotation almost no matter what. Mills should stay until his performance warrants removal. Chatwood, if he stays sharp, could be a guy who helps a bullpen, that's why I think his spot could be where Q lands.....but yeah, if the pen stays "good enough" and the starters are killing it, I'm not sure where Q goes.

Yeah, I guess it would be Mills for Q to take over right now.... but man, why ruin a good thing at this point. I just don't know where Quintana fits assuming the starting lineup keeps performing.

Yeah, I guess it would be Mills for Q to take over right now.... but man, why ruin a good thing at this point. I just don't know where Quintana fits assuming the starting lineup keeps performing.

I'm not advocating for simply plugging Q in for Mills the second Q is ready. If Mills keeps up a sub-3.00 ERA (currently 1.38) and sub 1.000 WHIP (currently 0.77) and a BAA of .166, then Q is going to have to find something else.....but the likelihood of the Cubs not having any injuries or COVID-19 cases is unrealistic, so Q will get his looks when he's ready. Additionally, if the Cubs have an outbreak or the Cubs lose a couple series to teams that have outbreaks, there will be some 7-inning DHs where Q would be fantastic depth.

At this point I wouldn’t change a thing in the starting rotation when Quintana returns. Plug him into the bullpen. I think he can be an effective pitcher especially in situations that might call for extended innings.

Leave Kimbrell on the bench; never pitch him again. Maybe if the Cubs are down 15-0 or something, but that’s it.

Reactions: TheCainer
Having six starters could come in handy if the Cubs keep winning and get to the halfway mark 12+ games over .500. Keep everyone fresh for the playoffs. Also if they end up playing some of those doubleheaders with 6 games in 5 days. Sure beats pulling up whichever AAA guy is due to start.

Picked up Chatwood today so I apologize that he’ll probably get shelled tonight

200.gif

Reactions: QChawks
National tv is the Cubs kryptonite. I’ve been just fine listening to the radio feeds, twice seeing them get shelled now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT