ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2021 thread*****

LaRussa is such a douche. It will be too bad if that roster is denied a WS ring because he thinks it’s 1985.
He came out with the bases loaded last weekend wanting to make a pitching change. Unfortunately the pitcher had only faced 2 batters. Everyone was on the mound looking around. Umpire tells Tony he can't do that. Tony looks around befuddled starts to argue balls and strikes and gets tossed.

I know the trades were tough, but finally seeing Manuel Rodriguez last night was intriguing. There is a lot of upside there. Michael Rucker, too. That’s where we are now. Let’s see who wants a spot on the roster next year. Can Patrick Wisdom continue to adjust to multiple positions and keep hitting for power? Is Sergio Alcantara a legit prospect?

Who's up for spending Major League Baseball Prices to watch the Iowa Cubs play in Wrigley!!!??? 👀 👀 👀

The Ricketts have owned the team since Oct 09.....they didn't spend Jack on players for the first 5 seasons and of the 12 seasons they've only tried half the time. Will have as many losing seasons as winning seasons after this debacle is over. We are so spoiled
I can’t recall, and I’m not trying to give Tom a pass, but didn’t Sam Zell tie the Cubs hands financially a bit after he sold the team? The big guy and rebuild didn’t start for a year or two after the family bought the team.

The Ricketts have owned the team since Oct 09.....they didn't spend Jack on players for the first 5 seasons and of the 12 seasons they've only tried half the time. Will have as many losing seasons as winning seasons after this debacle is over. We are so spoiled
Sure, but they had a transition window to evaluate what was being done under Hendry, then they went for Theo, who had a plan and it paid off. They made the conscious decision to not get stuck in that 78-82 win hellscape that locks you into the mediocrity cycle. They set the goal to improve the farm system and once it was stocked and producing MLB-ready talent, they jacked the spending.

I’m just so tired of reading comment after comment about the Ricketts being ”cheap”. I don’t like them either, but it’s simply false up until after the Darvish signing. They wanted to reset the counter by getting under the luxury tax threshold for a season (as the Yanks are doing this year). They gave Theo leash basically every year to go over the threshold to add mid-season. This is the first year they really held things back. We’ll see if the debt their carrying pushes them to do this in the next couple of years, but I‘d expect to see them back to spending around whatever cap or tax threshold is in place very soon.

Reactions: Hawkfan757
I know the trades were tough, but finally seeing Manuel Rodriguez last night was intriguing. There is a lot of upside there. Michael Rucker, too. That’s where we are now. Let’s see who wants a spot on the roster next year. Can Patrick Wisdom continue to adjust to multiple positions and keep hitting for power? Is Sergio Alcantara a legit prospect?
Rodriguez looked to have some nasty stuff. A lot of movement on his pitches last night.

Guys, help me out because I can't seem to find anything :cool: . How's Rizzo doing tonite in pinstripes?

TIA

Other than trolling, I’m not quite sure what you’re looking for here. The Cubs made these moves in the last 24 hours because the Cubs never changed course after 2018-2019. The core was always going to get more expensive together - Rizzo, KB, Javy, Schwarber, Almora were always going to hit FA at the same time, but the Cubs made no significant deals along the way, setting this up.

The Cubs could have made no trades and kept all, hoping to extend 1-2 of them, but this was a .500 team without any trades. The last 24 hours has really sucked, but I also remember growing up on the Cubs and watching them fall in love with guys and not be willing to make the hard move to set up a real window of contention. Jed made a gutsy play, we’ll see how it works out.

They’re not ”tossing in the towel” unless they’re non-competitive for the next 2-4 seasons. As mentioned all over this thread, the Cubs have a crap ton of money to spend and some good young players. They have quite a bit of young potential at the low-end of the minors, which could make good off-season trade bait.
Has to be trolling. This is different than the last rebuild as the Cubs don’t need to tank for a few years to build the farm system. They actually had assets to trade and give them a head start. Way different than a decade ago.

An interesting stat from tonight's game is the Cubs struck out 8 times, and 6 of them came from holdovers Happ and Contreras (3 each).

We didn't completely rid ourselves of the virus it would seem. vbg

Reactions: mphawk
Guys, help me out because I can't seem to find anything:cool:. How's Rizzo doing tonite in pinstripes?

TIA
C'mon, dude, ur better than that.

Yeah, since Rizzo has 2 HR for the Yankees, the Cubs definitely should have instead given him a Jason Heyward contract so we could continue to watch our 1B hit .250 with a <.800 OPS for $30M/year for the next 7 years...

An interesting stat from tonight's game is the Cubs struck out 8 times, and 6 of them came from holdovers Happ and Contreras (3 each).

We didn't completely rid ourselves of the virus it would seem. vbg
Happ is freaking terrible. I can live with Willson’s K’s.

What would it cost the Cubs to just get rid of Heyward? Tired of the dead weight in the lineup.

Happ is freaking terrible. I can live with Willson’s K’s.

I think Happ benefitted from the short season last year because he likely would have regressed to his actual offensive talent over a 162-game season. Maybe the stats say differently, but he seems to be poor defensively as well.

Reactions: lucas80
What would it cost the Cubs to just get rid of Heyward? Tired of the dead weight in the lineup.

I'd argue that the Cubs don't win a World Series without Heyward. I said prior to 2016 that I just want to see one WS win in my lifetime. We got that, so everything else is just gravy at this point!

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
I think Happ benefitted from the short season last year because he likely would have regressed to his actual offensive talent over a 162-game season. Maybe the stats say differently, but he seems to be poor defensively as well
If it weren't for the big selloff, I think Happ would be non-tendered, but I think the Cubs will take one more chance on him for the sake of some stability. Hard giving up on a switch-hitting power hitter who can play multiple positions, but it's true his game has really taken a nosedive since he first burst onto the scene. It'll only cost the Cubs ~$5M to keep him next year in ARB2. If after that he's not looking like part of the future they'll get rid of him.

Reactions: hawkifann
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT