ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2021 thread*****

My point is the farm system has been dogshit for awhile now, and by Hoyer's statement, he can't afford to keep this team together. Getting all those no names from the Padres is a crap shoot to developing the farm system. Unless Hoyer thinks he can turn those prospects into better offers from other teams.

There just doesn't seem like many of the bigger names will draw much interest before the trade deadline next summer. Of all the Cub starters, I think WC is the guy that brings the best return in a trade.

No one has implied that they can’t afford the team this year. The bigger question is should you based on performance.

If the stadium is filled... does it make a difference if the sales are "walk up"?

Wrigley is a tiny ballpark. Similar to Fenway. Without researching it, I imagine the lion's share of owner revenue comes from TV and Cable deals. I'm not familiar with the area around Wrigley, do the Ricketts have any property in the area?

the Ricketts claim 70% of their revenue comes from game day spend. They own most of the neighborhood directly around the stadium including a hotel, the rooftops and several restaurants. It’s all mortgaged.

Except the Royals are in a shitty TV market and a relatively small fan base.

If I'm a Cub's fan, I say "Screw this". There's better teams to root for.
LOL. Obviously you are not a Cubs fan. We went through over 100 years of torture. This is nothing. I can hold out and set my expectations to be competitive in 2025, no problem.

Back to the hot stove. I am fine with the Cubs unloading and dealing for prospects right now. There is just way too much uncertainty with COVID and the upcoming labor negotiations. I'm fine with loading up on prospects and building for a post labor deal run of success. I don't want the club to be saddled with bad deals once the labor situation is resolved. Time to make the club lean, agile, and loaded with options.

The Cubs aren't going to contend for a WS next year anyway but it does not take away from my enjoyment of flipping on a game on a summer afternoon. I'll just go back to taking it game at a time and living for a win that day. If we lose, we'll see you tomorrow. Frankly, I feel bad for the fans of these franchises that have won championships in this COVID world. Just a bunch of * seasons and the fans can't even be in attendance or celebrate a title. I can wait.

Colin Rea has been released. I thought he might have a shot at the rotation, but from the way it sounds he is going to try and play in Japan.

did todd storm the capital?
BOON!!
Although, Sullivan had an op/ed a day or two ago asking if Cubs fans will stick with members of the family like Todd. Meh, he has a minor role. Tom is a right wing nut, but he keeps his mouth shut in public.

Reactions: dgordo
Colin Rea has been released. I thought he might have a shot at the rotation, but from the way it sounds he is going to try and play in Japan.
It's also sad because I heard he has One Boy,, One Girl.

Butthurt much? Even if you want to use the results of this century to compare the two franchises... I'll take the Yankees results every time.

BTW: The number of teams in MLB is not relevant to any argument. Not sure why you feel it is?

Prepare to be insignificant for the future.
Haha, I'm just sharing facts....
the reality the Yanks have as many rings as the dbacks, royals, white sox, phillies and cubs this century has you sounding like the butthurt bitch

If you don't think winning 2 series to get a ring isnt MUCH easier than 3 or 4 than you are too stupid to waste any more time on but being a dbag yank fan it's no surprise. You are considered the king douchebags of the sports fan world for a reason. Cling to that 20th century, Yankhusker!

Last edited:
Haha, I'm just sharing facts....
the reality the Yanks have as many rings as the dbacks, royals, white sox, phillies and cubs this century has you sounding like the butthurt bitch

If you don't think winning 2 series to get a ring isnt MUCH easier than 3 or 4 than you are too stupid to waste any more time on but being a dbag yank fan it's no surprise. You are considered the king douchebags of the sports fan world for a reason. Cling to that 20th century, Yankhusker!
People like you pick out time frames to back a specific argument. That's all this is. You are aruing from a point of weakness.

And you appear to be prepared for another century of irrelevance. Good on you. I hope you have lofty goals for the 2021 season... like finishing ahead of the Pirates.

Looks like the only positive news for Cub fans this offseason is that the team upgraded the broadcast booth.

I love everything KS ever did in a Cubs uniform, but I don't get that anyone gave him $10 million coming off of last year's performance.

Judging off last year is hard. A lot of people were significantly off. If we’re just judging by last year, the Cubs should have just let Javy walk.

Obviously, there’s more to it. I think there will be a lot of player movement in the 2nd half of January and I think there will be a lot of guys who sign short deals. We’ll see what the Cubs cobble together and whether they’re able to find some significant value. There’s a lot of talent out there that will be had cheap, we’ll just see who is able to successfully navigate the 2020 small sample size minefield.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Sounds like its getting a bit smokey in the Cubs clubhouse. Chatter about WC and KB.

I think there had to be another team (rumored to be the Yankees) that helped get him $10 million. Sounds like he and Davey Martinez have a really good relationship, so I’m sure that didn’t hurt.

From a performance standpoint, he probably should have gone to the AL... where we KNOW NOW, that there's a DH rule.

Regarding the rumor of the NYY being interested... the Yanks don't need a corner outfielder or a 1B, and certainly not another DH type player. Maybe the Nats just got played by a good agent.

Do Cub fans publicly acknowledge mgmt has "thrown in the towel" if KB and WC get moved?

Sounds like its getting a bit smokey in the Cubs clubhouse. Chatter about WC and KB.
To me it seems like they are pushing to get rid of KB, and are listening to offers for WC. Supposedly the Dodgers are trying to get Turner off of his demand for four years (He is 36), in order to return to the Dodgers. If he won't come off of that demand soon, they'd be interested. WC has far more suitors, and would pull in a nice batch of prospects given his cost, and the fact that a team trading for him gets him for two years.

To me it seems like they are pushing to get rid of KB, and are listening to offers for WC. Supposedly the Dodgers are trying to get Turner off of his demand for four years (He is 36), in order to return to the Dodgers. If he won't come off of that demand soon, they'd be interested. WC has far more suitors, and would pull in a nice batch of prospects given his cost, and the fact that a team trading for him gets him for two years.
I heard on WSCR today that everyone is waiting on DJ LeMaihu to sign so he can set the market. After that teams will start tot reach out about KB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT