ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2021 thread*****

The Chicago Cubs are in hibernation this winter. They traded
their best pitcher Darvish to the Padres and free agent Kyle S.
signed with the Nationals. Going with the status quo for the
Cubs is a gamble that some key players will have better seasons
in 2021. Playing in a weak MLB division gives the Cubs hope.

Reactions: TheCainer
People like you pick out time frames to back a specific argument. That's all this is. You are aruing from a point of weakness.

And you appear to be prepared for another century of irrelevance. Good on you. I hope you have lofty goals for the 2021 season... like finishing ahead of the Pirates.
And people like you cling to last century so the last 20 years aren't as frustrating considering you've been a top spender during that time unlike most franchises. I get it, it's what old farts and huskers do so keep clinging to that glorious 20th century. The Bears have 9 world championships but their fans don't act like cocky prick yankees fans because they happened a long time ago. At no point did I ever say the Cubs were a better franchise....why are you so insecure and defensive? (Besides the current pennant drought) Everyone knows yankees fans suck balls.....you don't have to beat a dead horse proving it but carry on....

Reactions: darylhawk
And people like you cling to last century so the last 20 years aren't as frustrating considering you've been a top spender during that time unlike most franchises. I get it, it's what old farts and huskers do so keep clinging to that glorious 20th century. The Bears have 9 world championships but their fans don't act like cocky prick yankees fans because they happened a long time ago. At no point did I ever say the Cubs were a better franchise....why are you so insecure and defensive? (Besides the current pennant drought) Everyone knows yankees fans suck balls.....you don't have to beat a dead horse proving it but carry on....

It’s very similar to Iowa State wrestling fans. Spend big attempting to recapture a historic past.

Reactions: blhawk
The New York Yankees are the most successful sports franchise
in American history. Their 27 World Series Championships are
the gold standard. They play in the majestic cathedral of baseball
known as Yankee Stadium. The legendary Hall of Famers who
wore the Yankee pinstripes include Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe
DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, and Whitey Ford.

I was reading the Tribune and saw that beat writer Mark Gonzales is moving on. Yet another familiar that has to be replaced.

I don't understand what the Cubs are trying to accomplish? They're in a huge media market, but they continue to shop at Goodwill? You can't sustain long term success with that recipe.

It's pretty obvious that the "name" players will be trade bait by the end of this summer. The plan looks like something Detroit or Pittsburgh would do.

I'm just glad to be a fan of a team that approaches the season looking for success rather than a team that goes into the season trying to save a few bucks.

Can't imagine the mind set of Cub players knowing they could be traded at any second. Just wait until players start having "injuries" or asking the manager to pull them from the lineup because their arm hurts.

Reactions: LuteHawk
I don't understand what the Cubs are trying to accomplish? They're in a huge media market, but they continue to shop at Goodwill? You can't sustain long term success with that recipe.

It's pretty obvious that the "name" players will be trade bait by the end of this summer. The plan looks like something Detroit or Pittsburgh would do.

I'm just glad to be a fan of a team that approaches the season looking for success rather than a team that goes into the season trying to save a few bucks.

Can't imagine the mind set of Cub players knowing they could be traded at any second. Just wait until players start having "injuries" or asking the manager to pull them from the lineup because their arm hurts.

I would imagine most want to perform the best they can so they can get traded.

Not wanting to pay for past performance. You have Hendricks and Davies. I want to see what Alzolay can do for a full year, that is 3. You just signed Miller to see what he looks like in Spring Training, you have Mills. You might want to get some other in the minors a shot. I will take the $4 million and use it somewhere else.

I would imagine most want to perform the best they can so they can get traded.
Maybe, or in Bryant's case... he's getting paid well for this season and might just wait for next off season so he can pick his own team. Depending on if he has a "no trade clause", he just might "dog it" this year.

Not wanting to pay for past performance. You have Hendricks and Davies. I want to see what Alzolay can do for a full year, that is 3. You just signed Miller to see what he looks like in Spring Training, you have Mills. You might want to get some other in the minors a shot. I will take the $4 million and use it somewhere else.

LOL that rotation gets you to about 3rd place in the division, TOPS

Finally year of arbitration. He needs to put up numbers because he sucked so much last year.
If Covid is in the rear view mirror by the end of the 2021 season... teams will be spending bigly next winter. There will be lots of teams going after Bryant. The Cubs have burned too many bridges with KB and I'm sure he's still bitter about losing his case to be a FA a year sooner. He might just try and stick it to the Cubs.

I imagine the clubhouse will be pretty toxic this season.

Holy crap on Lester!!!!!! How bad did he want to get out of Chicago to sign for $5M? Looks like things are likely worse than I thought in Wrigleyville.

Reactions: LuteHawk
If Covid is in the rear view mirror by the end of the 2021 season... teams will be spending bigly next winter. There will be lots of teams going after Bryant. The Cubs have burned too many bridges with KB and I'm sure he's still bitter about losing his case to be a FA a year sooner. He might just try and stick it to the Cubs.

I can’t imagine him tanking when the talk around the league is already that he’s on the downside. This is his first and best shot at free agency.

Holy crap on Lester!!!!!! How bad did he want to get out of Chicago to sign for $5M? Looks like things are likely worse than I thought in Wrigleyville.

The cubs offered him way less. You can’t even troll properly. It seems the only one who doesn’t understand the cubs are rebuilding is you.

Maybe, or in Bryant's case... he's getting paid well for this season and might just wait for next off season so he can pick his own team. Depending on if he has a "no trade clause", he just might "dog it" this year.
The last thing Bryant wants to do is have another bad season.

Why in the world would KB “stick it to the Cubs” this season? He’s done some really great things in Chicago, but he’s had a run of injury plagued seasons. I assume he’s going to be looking for an elite contract, he’s not going to get that by half-a$$ing this season or torching the Cubs locker room. He’s always been a good dude and I don’t expect that to change. He’ll come out, play hard and do his best and he’ll be a good teammate and good to the fans. That’s what he’s always done.

As for the Cubs, it’s really clear what they’re doing - they’re attempting the quick re-tool on the fly. They got a passable starter in Davies plus 4 well-regarded but very young prospects for Darvish. They signed Cristian Hernandez, who seems to be a stud. They’re stocking up on young SS because they’re really strong athletically. Those guys can become 3B, 2B and CFs, depending on how they develop. They’re also not intent on stocking Chicago in the next 2 years, they’re intent on stocking the system to have depth of talent for future use and for trade value.

The Cubs may well trade KB and/or WC. I fully expect that once the market is set and players start moving, they’re going to sign a handful of relatively cheap guys (including 1-2 starters) who will be low risk and could be flipped if they’re performing. All of that could additionally be enough to compete in the NL Central. This sets the Cubs up to spend again in 2022 - they currently have $59M in luxury tax space right now and with the guys coming off the books will have an additional $50M in 2022, plus WC’s $6M if he’s dealt this year.

Reactions: lucas80
The Theo Epstein/Joe Maddon Era in Chicago Cub history
is over. They won a World Series in 2016 to gain fame.
Now they will spend a decade trying to rebuild a team.
Manager David Ross will baby sit the team until they
become a contender.

If he only got $5M that’s more indicative of how teams saw his value. Granted it’s a crappy year to become a FA.

That’s not how baseball works. He’s restricted and has no say in trade until he signs a contract. He can’t suck for this year like he did last year if he wants to even sniff anything of value come FA.

Reactions: lucas80
Why in the world would KB “stick it to the Cubs” this season? He’s done some really great things in Chicago, but he’s had a run of injury plagued seasons. I assume he’s going to be looking for an elite contract, he’s not going to get that by half-a$$ing this season or torching the Cubs locker room. He’s always been a good dude and I don’t expect that to change. He’ll come out, play hard and do his best and he’ll be a good teammate and good to the fans. That’s what he’s always done.

As for the Cubs, it’s really clear what they’re doing - they’re attempting the quick re-tool on the fly. They got a passable starter in Davies plus 4 well-regarded but very young prospects for Darvish. They signed Cristian Hernandez, who seems to be a stud. They’re stocking up on young SS because they’re really strong athletically. Those guys can become 3B, 2B and CFs, depending on how they develop. They’re also not intent on stocking Chicago in the next 2 years, they’re intent on stocking the system to have depth of talent for future use and for trade value.

The Cubs may well trade KB and/or WC. I fully expect that once the market is set and players start moving, they’re going to sign a handful of relatively cheap guys (including 1-2 starters) who will be low risk and could be flipped if they’re performing. All of that could additionally be enough to compete in the NL Central. This sets the Cubs up to spend again in 2022 - they currently have $59M in luxury tax space right now and with the guys coming off the books will have an additional $50M in 2022, plus WC’s $6M if he’s dealt this year.
Your view, as a Cubs fan, is considerably brighter than what I see from the outside. I think they're taking a shot gun approach to acquiring so many 18-20 year old prospects. None were highly rated from what I've seen. The Cubs took massive criticism from the talking heads on what they got for Yu. And even with cap space for 2022... how many top notch guys are going to sign with a team in rebuilding stage. It's not like Machado because the Padres were in far better shape than the Cubs.

I agree it takes far, far less talent to compete in the NL Central. I guess we'll all find out in 2-3 years how this goes.

The Cubs have only retired 5 numbers in their history.

10 (Santo)
14 (Banks)
23 (Sandberg)
26 (Williams)
31 (Jenkins & Maddux)

I dont think Lester gets his number retired.

So far, with the exception of Santo (and he eventually made it), the Cubs have not retired numbers until the player lands in the HOF. If Lester makes it (borderline case), I think the Cubs will do it. He has a pretty special place in Cub history.

I’ll add to my last comment to say that it would be interesting if they give any nod to Kerry Wood if they do retire #34.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
They paid him $100+ million dollars, and $10 million was a goodbye gift. They did him a favor in letting him go. He can sign with a team like the Nationals who might win the WS. That's better than a rebuild team like the Cubs. If you are so enamored with culture, bring him back in ST to talk old time baseball with the rookies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT