ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2022 thread*****

I saw an amazing stat on Contreras prior to yesterday's game. With the bases empty he entered Saturday's game with something like a .444 batting average, but, with men on base he was something like 1-29 with 2 walks and had hit into 6 DP's. Needless to say, that's not clutch. I think Ross has to move him down in the order out of the top 4 spots anyway and move Villar up. Villar should probably be the DH until he gets his fielding figured out. His throws are terrible. He has to have a Fielding % below .900 I would think.

Just my $0.02.

I saw an amazing stat on Contreras prior to yesterday's game. With the bases empty he entered Saturday's game with something like a .444 batting average, but, with men on base he was something like 1-29 with 2 walks and had hit into 6 DP's. Needless to say, that's not clutch. I think Ross has to move him down in the order out of the top 4 spots anyway and move Villar up. Villar should probably be the DH until he gets his fielding figured out. His throws are terrible. He has to have a Fielding % below .900 I would think.

Just my $0.02.
it doesn’t matter this team isn’t going anywhere this year

I would hope that a manager would still do his job to help his team win as much as they can, though.
I'm sure they will try but the best thing this team can do is lose every game and get a top draft pick. If the owners don't care about this season why should anyone else? I certainly don't, I haven't watched a second other than the thursday game at Coors I went to and I only did that because my gf wanted to go and the Ricketts wouldn't be getting a dime from me

The Cubs have to be leading the league in runs scored the first 2 or 3 innings. Then last in runs scored the last 6 or 7.
They actually reported tonight that the Cubs are second to SF for most runs scored in first 2 innings. And, like you said, after that, not always so many.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
It’s going to be a long summer in Chicago
What’s most important is answering questions. Even if the answer to a lot of the questions is “no”, that’s valuable and the Cubs are well-positioned to improve quickly. Look at what we’ve seen so far:
  • Suzuki absolutely seems legit. Great plate discipline and good all around ball player.
  • The Cubs have shown an ability to build a bullpen on the fly and the early returns this season would back that up pretty strongly. Add the fact that they’re finally producing young arms through the system and this could be a real bright spot.
  • Ian Happ is playing really well. We’ll see this season if he can keep it up and not just have a hot half and cold half.
  • Rivas is looking good and Schwindel not as much, although Frank’s hard contact numbers are still solid.
  • I love the overall approach of the offense. They need to balance it with a little more power, but they’ve done a great job of changing the face of the offense in a really short time.
  • Starting pitching has been a disappointment. Hendricks may be aging. Steele has been a mixed bag. Smyly has been solid, Stroman has been iffy. It doesn’t help at all that Miley, Mills and Alzolay have been hurt, hopefully that gives the Cubs some upside potential in the next month or two.
  • Ortega doesn’t seem to be the guy.
  • Hoerner seems to be able to play a good SS.
  • Madrigal hasn’t been as bad defensively as I expected.
  • Wisdom needs a little more time.
  • Heyward needs to go so that the Cubs can get better assessments on guys like Hermosillo and, eventually, Brennan Davis.
I still think this team is going to land in the 72-82 win range. As the season goes on, it’s going to be very interesting to see which guys play themselves off the roster and who from the minors emerges as ready for a big-league shot.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
We are going to find out if this is really Jed’s team on Monday when rosters are reduced to 26. If they option Rivas and keep Heyward in the desperate belief he will get younger and start hitting the ball then we know it’s Tom’s team. They can drop a pitcher to the minors, but only Rivas has options on the position player side. Maybe they try and push Ortega through waivers.
Jed needs to see who is useful long term, and clear a path for guys like Davis.

We are going to find out if this is really Jed’s team on Monday when rosters are reduced to 26. If they option Rivas and keep Heyward in the desperate belief he will get younger and start hitting the ball then we know it’s Tom’s team. They can drop a pitcher to the minors, but only Rivas has options on the position player side. Maybe they try and push Ortega through waivers.
Jed needs to see who is useful long term, and clear a path for guys like Davis.
The Monday cuts will require one pitcher drop and one position player drop. Heyward would seem to be an obvious drop, but Ortega could also be in play and they could always take the path of least resistance and send Rivas down.

This tweet is from last night's game and then he strikes out swinging on his first at bat today.

Hmmmm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT