ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2022 thread*****

Completely disagree. Throwing money out just because they had it would be reverting back to the 1990-2010 Cubs. Way too many holes to fill to ever plan on being serious contenders this year, no matter how much they spend.

So what? We just wait for the kids in high A to come up in 2025? We arent the Royals. With the playoff expanding it doesnt take much to put together a competitive team.

Correa signed a 3 year deal. There's a big difference between throwing money at Alfonso Soriano and Kosuke Fukudome and improving a roster that is full of 30 year 4 A players

Last edited:
So what? We just wait for the kids in high A to come up in 2025? We arent the Royals. With the playoff expanding it doesnt take much to put together a competitive team.

Correa signed a 3 year deal. There's a big difference between throwing money at Alfonso Soriano and Kosuke Fukudome and improving a roster that is full of 30 year 4 A players
Can't he opt out after 1 year? And, then there are more opt outs. I believe the whole thing was structured so Boras can get a bigger piece of the pie next year when Correa opts out.

Reactions: TheCainer
Can't he opt out after 1 year? And, then there are more opt outs. I believe the whole thing was structured so Boras can get a bigger piece of the pie next year when Correa opts out.
I think this is 100% that. I wanted the Cubs to go hard for Correa (and per reports, they did), but I would not have wanted them to get him for the 3 yr deal with an opt-out in each of the first two seasons. Hopefully the Cubs go hard after him this year.

I know it is the Reds, but one thing I took away from this game was it helps to have a set line up, and good defense. I'd like to see Simmons get a long run at SS. Yeah, he won't hit, but, this team should produce runs. He is still and above average SS, and Wisdom is pretty good at 3rd. They could form a solid left side of the infield. Hoerner was solid, but he is a superior defender at 2nd, put him there when he returns.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
I know it is the Reds, but one thing I took away from this game was it helps to have a set line up, and good defense. I'd like to see Simmons get a long run at SS. Yeah, he won't hit, but, this team should produce runs. He is still and above average SS, and Wisdom is pretty good at 3rd. They could form a solid left side of the infield. Hoerner was solid, but he is a superior defender at 2nd, put him there when he returns.
I’m good with that for now, but we still need to see who Madrigal is when he’s back. I love Hoerner at 2B, but Madrigal needs to play when he’s healthy (even if that means optioning him to Iowa to play everyday and get right). If we’re going to burn this season answering questions, we can’t be minimizing Madrigal/Hoerner ABs for a lot of Simmons.

Reactions: TheCainer
I’m good with that for now, but we still need to see who Madrigal is when he’s back. I love Hoerner at 2B, but Madrigal needs to play when he’s healthy (even if that means optioning him to Iowa to play everyday and get right). If we’re going to burn this season answering questions, we can’t be minimizing Madrigal/Hoerner ABs for a lot of Simmons.
Madrigal has been hyped, but he is unproven at the MLB level. He can answer questions at AAA if needed. I still want to see a quality team on the field until they are out of contention.

Madrigal has been hyped, but he is unproven at the MLB level. He can answer questions at AAA if needed. I still want to see a quality team on the field until they are out of contention.
I’m good with that. I just do not want to see Madrigal riding pine in Chicago while Simmons plays. I would agree that AAA would be a great place for him to get some run. He got to the bigs quickly with the Sox, then has missed virtually a calendar year to injury. AAA is not unreasonable.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I am not sure, but I thought I saw David Bote in the dugout before the game. He's been rehabbing in Des Moines. I don't think he can come off the IL until June? In general there aren't AAA games on Mondays, so they might have brought him over to do an evaluation.
Heard he went 3-5 tonight in a rehab game. Still trying to figure out where he just might fit in with the current roster??????

You gonna compare the Yankees dodgers etc to the cheap ass ricketts? C'mon son!

I don’t get the hatred for Ricketts on here by some people. Has he been the perfect owner, no, but he isn’t that bad. It is funny we all forget that they are basically the ONLY pro sports team who had to build/re-build their own stadium without any financial help from a city/county/state. Everyone else gets hundreds of millions of dollars (including the White Sox, Bulls, and the Bears in Chicago) but not the Cubs.

They did the right thing by not offering stupid high deals to the core. They offered them market reasonable deals that the players turned down. Sure, Epstein left them a horrible minors program and that really hurt the team and will take a few years to fix. Look at the Dodgers, they have wave of wave of talent coming up each year that they can supplement with the big spending.

What is the problem? Sure I wish they would have spent a little more and picked up another starter but I am not all pissed off and hating on everyone and everything.

I don’t get the hatred for Ricketts on here by some people. Has he been the perfect owner, no, but he isn’t that bad. It is funny we all forget that they are basically the ONLY pro sports team who had to build/re-build their own stadium without any financial help from a city/county/state. Everyone else gets hundreds of millions of dollars (including the White Sox, Bulls, and the Bears in Chicago) but not the Cubs.

They did the right thing by not offering stupid high deals to the core. They offered them market reasonable deals that the players turned down. Sure, Epstein left them a horrible minors program and that really hurt the team and will take a few years to fix. Look at the Dodgers, they have wave of wave of talent coming up each year that they can supplement with the big spending.

What is the problem? Sure I wish they would have spent a little more and picked up another starter but I am not all pissed off and hating on everyone and everything.
Cheap greedy bastards can barely spend the league average. Keep supporting the dbags....

They're not getting my money

2015: NLCS
2016: WS Champ
2017: NLCS
2018: Lost game 163 and then WC game
2019: Contended up until the final week or so
2020: Division Champ

Definitely no decent teams in there.
This is 2022 bud. When do the dodgers or Yankees take off multiple years? Get real

Good thing we weren't in the west or your list would be pretty small lol

This is 2022 bud. When do the dodgers or Yankees take off multiple years? Get real

Good thing we weren't in the west or your list would be pretty small lol
I’m not defending where they’ve been the past two seasons. I took your post as saying this level of spending has been a constant under Ricketts. It hasn’t.

I gave some slack last year because of all the lost revenues in 2020 and early in 2021. Then, it also became very fundamentally clear that the old core was going to go and it was largely the result of not having developed that “waves of talent” that was advertised. The Cubs had one big wave that came up and left together. They might have had a 2nd wave, but for a couple trades that really didn’t pan out.

At this point, I’m more interested in whether Jed can fix the fundamental, systemic problems than I am the Cubs just trying to spend their way out of this. The pitch lab has shown substantial gains and the system is deeper than it’s been since 2014-2015. I absolutely expect the Cubs to be aggressive in the offseason, as they need to look to win again in 2023. This season is all about determining which guys they currently have are legit. Can Frank hit consistently? Will Wisdom hit with enough power to offset a huge K rate? Can Hoerner be an everyday player and/or starting SS? Is Madrigal all he was built to be? Is Ortega a player, etc.

A lot of this roster won’t (shouldn’t be here next year). I’m still up in the air on Frank. I think Wisdom is a legit bat, but maybe not a starter. I don’t think Ortega, Hermosillo, Villar and will be around. The Cubs will have plenty of payroll runway and spots to fill.

If they roll out a league-average payroll next year with a bunch of “maybe” guys, then I’ll be really critical.

I’m not defending where they’ve been the past two seasons. I took your post as saying this level of spending has been a constant under Ricketts. It hasn’t.

I gave some slack last year because of all the lost revenues in 2020 and early in 2021. Then, it also became very fundamentally clear that the old core was going to go and it was largely the result of not having developed that “waves of talent” that was advertised. The Cubs had one big wave that came up and left together. They might have had a 2nd wave, but for a couple trades that really didn’t pan out.

At this point, I’m more interested in whether Jed can fix the fundamental, systemic problems than I am the Cubs just trying to spend their way out of this. The pitch lab has shown substantial gains and the system is deeper than it’s been since 2014-2015. I absolutely expect the Cubs to be aggressive in the offseason, as they need to look to win again in 2023. This season is all about determining which guys they currently have are legit. Can Frank hit consistently? Will Wisdom hit with enough power to offset a huge K rate? Can Hoerner be an everyday player and/or starting SS? Is Madrigal all he was built to be? Is Ortega a player, etc.

A lot of this roster won’t (shouldn’t be here next year). I’m still up in the air on Frank. I think Wisdom is a legit bat, but maybe not a starter. I don’t think Ortega, Hermosillo, Villar and will be around. The Cubs will have plenty of payroll runway and spots to fill.

If they roll out a league-average payroll next year with a bunch of “maybe” guys, then I’ll be really critical.
Nah I'm just sick of seeing the ricketts focus so much on surrounding real estate and think fans should continue to pay high prices to watch a team that isn't trying to be even decent let alone great.
I won't even get started on the marquee bullshit!! I'm not paying again to watch this crap team on TV because they decided on bs marquee. I haven't seen a game this year because I can't watch 95% of games. So no point even watching any! Oh crap I did get started lol!

Nah I'm just sick of seeing the ricketts focus so much on surrounding real estate and think fans should continue to pay high prices to watch a team that isn't trying to be even decent let alone great.
I won't even get started on the marquee bullshit!! I'm not paying again to watch this crap team on TV because they decided on bs marquee. I haven't seen a game this year because I can't watch 95% of games. So no point even watching any! Oh crap I did get started lol!

Don’t watch, don’t go to games, don’t post here. All problems solved for you. Nice to set you on ingore.

Reactions: lucas80
I won’t argue any of these points.

Reactions: nbanflfactory
2015: NLCS
2016: WS Champ
2017: NLCS
2018: Lost game 163 and then WC game
2019: Contended up until the final week or so
2020: Division Champ

Definitely no decent teams in there.
Definitely some decent teams in there but out of the 13 seasons they have owned the team they have only won a playoff game in 3 of those (15-17) and it took absolutely sucking the first 5 seasons to get there. This season will make 7 of those those 13 seasons where they aren't competitive.

Now I do think this massive overhaul was necessary with the mess Theo left but we were told this wasn't going to need to happen after the first long rebuild. What bugs me is they made the Cubs the most expensive GameDay experience for fans in MLB (at least in 21) yet expect the fans to tolerate these years long rebuilds. It's hard to argue that generating more revenue hasn't been a much bigger priority than fielding a consistently quality product on the field.

I also wish they would get out of politics and trying to buy a damn soccer team and just focus on what they have already. We will see how committed to winning they are going forward but until they make it clear they are serious about contending again they won't get a penny from me and I will be a casual observer. Which is fine. Frees up a lot of my time

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT